4,037 results
All reviewsocean wingcowrie covechi spaadventure zonetides restaurantocean club loungebuko barmarine sanctuaryfish foodmini golfchinese restaurantprivate beachfish feedingtropical fishbreakfast buffetwhite sand beachplay area
Reviewed 2 December 2007

Stayed at this resort for 3 nights whilst attending a conference. The rooms are spacious, the staff are super friendly and helpful and the activities and food cheap (but not the rooms!).
Only gripe was one night we hired the pavillion for a party and they turned the air con off when we hadn't finished partying yet, and although it was 11pm, it was still 32 degrees!

The resort has its own beach, with coral and wildlife in the water only metres in, the water is very shallow. You can hire snorkelling gear and just laze about in the 29 degree water and watch the tropical fish play. Tip: if you can get up early enough, head down to the beach at 6am whilst there's no one else around and just stand in the water. The lack of waves brings the big tropical fish closer to shore to feed and if you stand still they just swim around you and eat as the sun comes up. Just beautiful.

A visit to the poorer areas is also worthwhile if you are accompanied, to appreciate the class differences of the country and see some real local culture. For those that don't like a culture shock, stay in the resort.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank Alisonens
Reviewed 2 December 2007

We decided to spend the long weekend bonding with the kids and we definitely booked at the right place. The hotel is very child-friendly and this not just the opinion of a mother of two young children (6 and 3) but a general observation from a parent. There were many activities (for very reasonable prices--given that it is a 5-star hotel) to choose from.

Our room was on the 5th floor of the old wing. We were supposed to have a garden view but we were too low to see anything but the top of the canopy of the hotel frontage. Plus a view of the Hilton next door. This wasn't a big issue though since we only retired to the room to sleep at night or for the kids to take catnaps. Room was well-maintained. The bed was very comfortable. Toilet was very clean.

The food was very, very good. We had buffet breakfast and dinner at Tides, a buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch at Acqua and an a la carte lunch at Tea of Spring. Almost everything was perfectly prepared. The selection was not as extensive as what other hotels offered but it was impressive none the less and the food quality (freshness, presentation and taste) more than made up for this fact.

I tried the Chi Spa while the kids were taking an afternoon nap. I booked a two and half hour treatment -- Enchanted Journey, I think it was called. The spa complex is about a 3 minute walk away from the main hotel through lush greens. The unimposing gate leading to the complex sets you on a path direct to the main building of the spa which has a pyramid/fountain surrounded by a carp pond at the entrance. I had already made a booking at the spa desk in the lobby and was expected. My therapist, Noemi led me to my treatment room/suite which is an experience all by itself. I felt very indulgent the whole time. A private toilet, foot wash, a bath in coconut milk outside in the garden, a private sauna followed by a massage and a body scrub. Everything was very discreet and Noemi alerted me to her approaching with the use of a bell. That was one of the best spa experiences I have ever had and I was sorely tempted to extend my treatment. My husband also had the foot reflexology massage and he swears it was great as well.

The kids also enjoyed themselves. Like I said, the hotel is very child-friendly. They have Adventure Zone for children 0-12 years old with different age-appropriate activities scheduled hourly. There is E-zone (billiards, internet, videoke) and Time Zone (arcade games) as well. The swimming pool/s are of varying depths with a water slide, basketball hoop, volleyball net for more water fun.

We didn't get to swim at the beach because the waves were a bit strong. However, we hung out at dusk. My husband and I lounged around while the kids played in the sandcastle area. We also did some fishfeeding.

Most important of all was that the service was impeccable. The staff were always smiling and ready to serve. My husband and I were very, very impressed!

My 6-year old probably said it best, "I want to live here forever and ever!"

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank ayasg
Reviewed 26 November 2007

We stayed here one weekend, the breakfast is excellent and very extensive, the service is good and done with a happy face.
On the day of checkout(12 noon) we could stay in the resort until the time of our flight and the luxurious health club could be used for shower and changing.
Very good experience!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 November 2007

This resort requires that you pay the charges in full at least 4 weeks prior to your arrival. To do this you must fax a signed agreement as well as the front and back of the credit card that will be used. My rates were quoted in USD. There was nowhere on the agreement that stated that this rate would be converted into Philippine Peso, then charged to your credit card. Not only did they not forewarn you of this, but they also converted at an exchange rate that was almost 1% in their favor. So for example, if the current rate was 1 USD to 43 Peso, they converted it at 1USD to 46 Peso. This is one way to squeeze more money out of the paying guest. I found the whole reservation process and subsequent exchange rate issues to be frustrating and time consuming. Our stay was pleasant, but certainly not worth the frustration of dealing with the hotel directly.

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank TokyoAvatar
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Shangri-la resort cebu is one of a few resorts in Cebu I do loved, I don't even mind spending so much money to stay in any resorts as long as they treat there guest with respect, cater to there needs and most importantly back up there reputation by giving the guest the best possible attention.

I have stayed in this resort twice 2006 and 2007, the first time I had stayed there I was mesmerised by there service and specially the resort. It was similar to our Shangrila in Cairns and Sydney Australia, but with better service. So I decided to take my 2 kids and partner as well as our 3 Australian friends to Cebu for my 30th b-day. But from the moment we checked in till we checked out we had nothing nice to say about this place. They had managed to ruin there reputation from our point of view. Everything we ask or tried to get any hiccups done was not taken care of in the outmost proffesional way!

These were the problems;
Check in was crap, our visa debit card was rejected due to them not accepting it as apparently they only take actual credit card with no debit link onto it..

Our 20,000 peso deposit was not enough to hold 1 standard room, and 3 ocean clubrooms. So I gave them 100,000 peso cash.

Family and friends was insulted by staff member saying that I had to pay for whatever they had consumed in ocean clubroom as they were not staying customers. At this stage children were allowed.

Due to staff messed up, we didn't celebrate my 30th like we had planned!

The rest of my family and friends checked out, and was very appalled by the service and the mis handling of everything.

Day manager of ocean club rudely told me to quickly check out so room cleaner can proceed from cleaning the room for next paying customer. Mind you we were staying for another night.

So we moved from room 8002 to 8019, it was good view but not as great as the other room.

My 2 children was not allowed with my partner to join him in the ocean lounge for the cocktail hour, while they never told us about it the day we check in, apparently management changed ruling that day. We did not avail half of our complimentary stuff, we lost interest.

That's when I made my formal complain through the general manager, nothing came out of the complains. But the Shangri-la room director did spoke to me on the phone and said " I am very sorry for all the inconvenience that occured during your stay and the matter should have been handled properly, the next time you stay with us I will make sure you will be looked after" Fat chance lady, the least she could have done is see me in person instead of talking to me via phone! Where is the proffesionalism in that?!

For me the matter was not resolved properly and it was a very disatisfying outcome specially from a 5 star resort!

The part I found it funny was the family I had there was 2 lawyers, 1 engineer, 1achitect, 1 counsellor and 1 travel agent. I was not sorounded by un educated people and they had be little us in so many ways. We did file a formal complain but like I said nothing was done about it...

I did warn them, that without your international customers they wouldn't be standing and also a word by mouth goes along way rather than a advertisement itself.

Further more, the 1 month we stayed in cebu these hotels and resort are worth the money and the star rating they hold.!

Plantation bay penthouse is 1 of there best room. This is the best 1 of them all for us.
Marriott executive rooms are the best. good service at pool bar
Waterfront deluxe is good too very nice.
White sands is also good (not so nice food)
Bantayan Island marlins resort good views (standard room)
Bohol divers resort beautiful (but crap showers!)

As for shangri-la we payed 75,000 peso, and everything about it was not worth it! If you want proper service and money's worth head for plantation bay! look for Marchie Cuizon....

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Shuty