“Still great after 5 visits” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hong Kong, China
“Still great after 5 visits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We visited the resort for the 5th time in January with our children aged 4 and 5. The overall experience is still the best we have experienced for a family vacation in Asia, only comparable resort was the JW Marriot in Phuket. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the kids club is well above the standard yuo would normally expect, Scotty's dive centre which is located onsite is the most professional dive centre I have used in any resort in Asia during our holidays.

The resort rooms could use an upgrade and it looks like the decsion has been made to invest in the facilities ahead of the rooms from what we have seen, while expensive you get what you pay for and overall we believe the resort is good value for money.

Room Tip: The Ocean wing rooms are more modern and spacious than the main wing rooms.
5 Thank Terry B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
HKSAR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at the shangrila for a week of january 2012 with children ages 17,14,10 and 4 and they all loved and enjoyed the resort. You never have to go out of the resort as whole day you will be entertained, relax and chill inside the resort. We stayed at Ocean club and having the personal butler named "Daryll" she is totally awesome! She took care of us throughout our whole stay.All restaurants inside the whole were great. Wifi everywhere. All staff are so warnth and friendly. Perfect place....

Room Tip: choose an ocean club
1 Thank Joyce W
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

One of the best hotels I have stayed in the Philippines. They have their own private beach which is very good since its not crowded. The beach is not Boracay but its still really good and clean. We rented a jetski here and we really had a great time. We stayed here for a conference / company vacation and from the moment we stepped out of our bus, we were greeted with a traditional dance from a group of costumed dancers. That really made an impression. The hotel itself has an airy and outdoor atmosphere which I like. I really dont like the airconditioned, urban feel of other hotels especially when you want an escape from everyday office work. If you're staying here or any place in Cebu, you have to go snorkeling at Nalusuan. Its just a boatride away and its really amazing. I could swim all day with the warm waters and beautiful corals. I dont dive but I'm sure the diving spots here are one of the best in the country from what others were telling me. Overall, my Cebu "vacation" has been made that much greater by Shangrila Cebu. Will definitely go back here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We have stayed at the Shangri-la several times over the years and we always yearn to go back. The service at this resort is not consistently perfect but it certainly is a cut above the rest. Check-in is usually swift for us since we usually arrive way past the standard check-in time but the counters can be busy in the mornings and at noon. I love that they now placed a kids' lounge in the lobby so the children won't get bored waiting while checking in. My daughter quickly noticed the lounge and rushed to play with the toys. Hopefully they would add more toys and books in the future.

During the time we stayed there, they had just completed the room renovations in one part of the hotel. We availed of the local resident's rate and expectedly, we were not assigned a renovated room since they charge more for it. Although the room is showing signs of age, it is clean and everything works. I have nothing to complain about. I would love to try out the renovated rooms next time. I also received a personalized letter welcoming me back to the resort. It is also worth noting that they now offer free broadband and wifi. The wifi is relatively new since they only had free wired internet the last time we were there. Their internet speed is super fast!

Shangri-la has the best beach in Mactan. We love lounging by the beach in the afternoons and my daughter loves to play in the sand. The resort has a toddler and kids' zone which are indoor play areas should the kids get tired of the pool and beach. We have yet to try the toddler zone since my kid prefers the pool and sand over anything.

For dinner, Cowrie Cove is the choice if you want to be near the water or you want a place that is romantic. I prefer going to Tides though because I find the menu in Cowrie Cove limited. Tides offers quite a buffet spread that even picky eaters and kids will surely find something they like. I especially love their creme brulee! For me, it's the best creme brulee in Cebu! I simply can't get enough of it.

The lobby lounge also has a band playing every night. My daughter loves music and even when she was still 1 year old, she loved listening to the band. She's now 3 and is a joy to watch when she would sing or dance along. We would make it a point to bring her to the lobby lounge whenever we were in Shangri-la. Nothing beats listening to live music while sipping our drinks and letting the cool sea breezes blow our cares away.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the newly renovated rooms. If you constantly go to the beach and do not li...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

After so much hotels, I've finally found Shangrila really superb. The food, the accommodations, the service.. Impeccable! Housekeeping gave me everything I want in a snap. WIFI is really, really good. I'm looking forward to visiting this place again this time real vacation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I first visited this hotel 10 + years ago in my teens with my Mum and Dad. Have to say that it has since improved and better than i remembered it. This visit I had taken my 3 year old and decided a relaxing beach resort would be ideal. Its only 15 minutes away by car from the international airport.

Firstly the hotel offer renovated rooms, we stayed in the newly renovated ocean wing rooms, the rooms are comfortable and it has a built in extra bed mounted against the wall so when its not in use it looks like a wardrobe. Apparently not all rooms offer this so you need to request this in advance. The rooms are comfortable but I did manage to sneek a peek of the old rooms and they do look tired but If I would go again I don't think I would be too bothered since we spent most of our time by the beach.

The Food & Beverage at this hotel is excellent a brillant choice for breakfast. We sat outdoors most of the time as indoors was busy and noisy. Only problem is that the area outdoor is fly infested and they can be annoying after a while. We had the buffet dinner which offers a good selection however if compared to the Shangri-la in Hong Kong it could improve. Cowrie Cove for dinner was nice, offers a relaxing ambience and they also have a kids menu.

The beach is brillant in fact we spent everyday by the beach. From how i remembered it 10 + years ago the hotel has done an excellent job in caring for the marine life and the place was made into a sanctuary from 2006. If you are with small children recommend you take bread from the buffet breakfast and go down to the beach and feed the fish. We took our 3 year old on a Kayak every morning and she enjoyed feeding the marine life. There are hundreds of fish. Snorkeling around the beach is also very good, the water visibility is excellent we saw parrot fish, clown fish, clams, abalone, eel, angel fish, lion fish.

The hotel also provides spades and buckets for kids at no cost so they play in the sand. The staff are attentive and are amazing at remembering our names.

I would say if you are looking for a short getaway with kids. This is it. Short trip from the airport, clean pristine water and great hospitality. The hotel is not cheap but I felt its worth every penny.

2 Thank CXflygirl
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at the Shangri-la Mactan Jan 6 - 10 and everything about this resort is exceptional. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome and relaxed. Every time you pass a staff member they greet you with a pleasant 'good morning' or 'good afternoon', even the maintenance personnel. If you have a request the response is always' no problem'. They are polite and attentive to your needs without being intrusive (this was particularly appreciated during the day at the beach - we were never pestered or bothered with requests for drinks but staff were readily available if we did want something).

The rooms are spacious and clean, the service is excellent, and the food outstanding. The breakfast buffet, included in our package, offers a wide range of foods. We found the dinner buffet a bit pricey (apx. $50/person) though it was exceptional value for the food provided. On two nights we weren't that hungry and opted to order very nice dinners a la carte for $15-$20 per person.

This was definitely one of the best places I have stayed and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Bring a mask and snorkel and a small travel iron, as these are not provided in rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!