“Shangri La comes up trumps yet again”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 2 April 2008

Having spent holidays in 3 Shangri La's previously - this time we looked at other of their resorts and even knowing nothing of the Philippines booked on spec.
What a winner, the hotel could not be faulted, the beach although small was lovely and never crowded. We did treat ourselves and upgraded on arrival to the Panorama suite for 16 days.
The Philippines were very interesting and as Brits ourselves - we were the only ones as far as we knew - except when 300 Saga cruise passengers descended on us because their ship the Saga Rose had broken down at sea !

All in all a wonderful pampered break.

We are now busy selecting the next Shangri La to stay at

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Flodizz
Write a ReviewReviews (3,718)

Reviewed 29 March 2008

We had adjoining suites, our ages ranged from 2years old - 60+. there were activities for all, which was a plus. The rooms are very well laid out and make use of the native looking decor as well.
The food was overpriced and the lounge by the pool provided the best drinks and food. Even though a crab cake sandwich costs about $10. It was tasty though.
The beach was private and well maintained. The fish are so tame and plentiful that they swim right up to you.
The hotel has 2 wings and looks like it has more than 100 rooms. So imagine the guest to employee ration is definitely impersonal. Although the wait staff at the lounge area by the pool was so accomodating to my toddler, they made special meals fpr him and even gave a complimentary drink on our 3rd time there.
Definitely recommend for short stay like long weekend, but do noe recommend if you want a true experience of being the the Philippines.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank mm1mami
Reviewed 17 March 2008

I have stayed in Shangrila hotel for 3 nites in last week, its really lovely hotel. We have arrived in Cebu around 12:00pm, they allowed for us to check in early. The environment is really nice, and clean. Especially the beach, there is many fishes, you can feed them, and they will swim around you. ( The bread is provided by hotel) This is a great expenience.

The only thing that I need to complain that is not allowed us to have a late check out!!

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank NatNat_shiu
Reviewed 13 March 2008

My husband and I went for a weekend getaway with our toddler. It took them almost SIX HOURS after we arrived to get us settled in our room (TWO HOURS of that was after the regular check in time of 2:00PM) despite our request to please let us settle in as soon as possible so our toddler could take a nap. It was such a waste of a day waiting and waiting for our room. My impression was that there were too many people that weekend and the front desk staff just couldn't handle it at all. In the end, we were given an upgraded room with a king bed (finally!) which was a nice enough room with a good view - although some things in the bathroom needed repairs and the shower curtain had some stains. The beach was great and so was the pool. The eating establishments and their staff also made the stay better.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank bssy
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I have never stayed at a Shangri-La, and judging from the reputation of the hotel group, I had expected a wonderful stay.. But I was wrong.....

First the reception took a long time to find my reservations, and when they did, they got my first and last names mixed up and did a jigsaw puzzle on them. When I tried to correct the reception staff, I was told that it was the system's fault.

I was then given a room right at the end of the block. When I entered, I realised that it was a twin singles, instead of the king size bedroom that I've reserved.

Next was the carpet. It felt really sticky to the feet.. Totally uncomfortable.. Its as if it is still drying from a major spill..

Then the TV, a 21-25 inch low definition, bulky colour tube TV I often see when staying in motels...

Then the Do Not Disturb sign look tattered and worn, and kept flying off the handle..

Worse still the room beside me was undergoing construction work.

But the worst thing of all is that I've got a toilet with broken flush (I realised that after I've finished my business), insufficient toiletries, e.g. on Day 1, no hand towels, no face towels, insufficient soaps..

The experience of the room was so bad that I almost wanted to check out instantly!

This must be one of the worst stays I've ever had!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank Finn_Tan
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We stayed here for a long weekend on Feb. 22, 2008. From the moment we stepped off from the airplane the staff met us and we were transported by a bus to the resort which was a short ride. We loved the blue skies, low humidity, beautiful beach, clean pools with lots of activites to entertain us. The clear ocean water with lots of colorful fish were excited to have someone in the water feeding them bread! The food was good and great variety, clean rooms each day and good stafff. Only had one complaint---at 2:30 am someone actually opened our door and the door jam prevented them from entering. So beware! I can't understand how one of the hotel cards allowed this to happen, but it did! Also request rooms at the other end of the hall away from the 8th floor near the club. At 6:00 am each morning noisy staff woke me up! Great place for 3 days, after that you will probably become a bit stir crazy.---Take some good books for the beach and pool!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SingaporeDana
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We recently stayed at this property for 2 nights under a Philippine Airlines Package Tour for 2. I must say that the service was outstanding from the moment we arrived at Cebu International Airport. At the airport upon disembarking from the Plane someone from the hotel was there to greet you. We were then quickly transported by air-condition motor coach to the resort which was very close to the airport, about 10 minutes. At the hotel we were quickly checked in and was even upgraded to an executive room. The room was large, the beds comfortable, the bathroom shower quite large. The only complaint I have with the bathroom was the tub faucet did not work, but the shower handle in the tub did, a minor inconvenience. The room had a large balcony overlooking the ocean. The grounds were well kept and maintained and the hotel pool large. While the hotel did charge for internet in the room, quite expensive actually at php300 per hour and php 800 for twenty four hours, they did have free wi-fi at the lobby area. The best thing about the hotel was the service. Everywhere people were smiling and greeting you and ready to help in anyway. We had the buffet breakfast at tides restaurant for several days and the selection was wonderful. We also tried the tea of spring chinese restaurant. The service was fantastic but the food I felt was just average. All in all this hotel is great, with everything you need and want in the hotel grounds. The only negative as I can see it is that it is quite a ways off from the main city areas.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#16 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!