“Luxury Hotel with Good Service”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Luxury Hotel with Good Service”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We went here last December 2012 for an ocular Day Trip. We were surprised that a luxury resort like this is really open to the public as in just decide to go there and you will be warmly welcomed by the attendants on duty. At first we were quite hesitant to go there because we have no arrangements/booking with the hotel but we decided to go there anyway to come and see what the inside looks like and we were all happy that we did give in to Kuya June's offer (Kuya June is our taxi driver/tour guide for the day). Since it was Christmas season, as usual, the lobby was filled with huge Christmas Trees. We went to the function room where it is ideal for grand celebrations like, debut, wedding receptions or what have you. We found a spot near the beach front, where the daybed/shades are - juts past the swimming pools. We all find the place so comfy and enjoyed the sun, the breeze and the breathtaking view of the white sand and the sea. A few minutes later, we were being offered by towels by the crew. She was so courteous and accommodating. I think she thought we just forgot our towels in our room or maybe we are Day Trippers and forgot to claim our towels (as if we paid P3,000.00 for the Day Trip fee). i would love to come back here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lakwatsera007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We wanted a short break from Hong Kong where we didn't have to travel far. The Shangri La fitted the bill perfectly....short flight, just over two hours, from Hong Kong, and twenty minute journey to the resort. A bit chaotic in the immigration area as two planes landed at once and very crowded but the staff did their best to resolve the situation.

We stayed in the Ocean Wing part of the hotel, good sized rooms and small terrace looking out to sea overlooking the extensive gardens. Several pools, mini golf, tennis, and excellent spa and set on a pleasant sandy beach with coral nearby. Excellent Italian and sea food restaurant. The highlight for the family though was the cliff top bar, the Cowrie, where you cold enjoy a cool beer whilst the sea breeze offered 'natural' air conditioning. Whichever part of the hotel we were in what did stand out was the friendliness of the staff, we all commentated on it and friends who go down several times a year have also commented on the friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Ocean Wing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NamShanMan
Reviewed 19 January 2013

my first visit was back 2009 and came back again last november 2012 & brought almost my whole family along..my dad was very pleased to the hotel mainly because of the excellent landscapes, the room with a great view of the beach & of course the breakfast to the restos both tides & acqua satisfied our tummies. But the Tea of Spring when we dined in with my bff, mom & dad gosh... its really expensive..ordering a fish, 3 cups of rice & a stir fry veggie & one cup of soup cost us PHP3K+ not to mention the food is really bland. my bff & i just had a hard laugh about it.

service staff were very courteous & polite..my son (alexander) & my niece (alessandra) had a great time in the beach, swimming pool, play room plus we were surprised that there is a time zone inside the hotel. dont forget to avail your 1 hour free kayak, & snorkeling once checked in.

wheel chairs are available for seniors.. there is also a booth inside the airport available for their shuttle service going to the hotel.

overall rating excellent!!...will highly recommend for families

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank abyong
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The Title says Everything. Its my Favorite among All the Hotels i've been. Upon entry the vast garden heavily secured and guarded gates welcomes you. as you enter the Lobby the cool wind, nice welcome juice, folk dance will make you feel like a VIP. The staff will take care of your check in procedures so all you need to do is enjoy. Choose the sea view room as always and the BIG Marsmallow like Bed will just make you feel like a KING. The Buffet is something not to be missed. even here in Makati Shang the Buffet is something not to be missed same as the one at Intercontinental Makati ( best hotel buffet i have tried ) so going back to Shang Cebu. Take your towel go to the Pool which is really Deep and Fun. more Play under water with this depth. Take your bfast outside the garden with all the maya maya birds chirping and asking for crumbs. Its really pure vacation and luxury i may say. The Bar in the evening is a bit pricey for a cocktail drink but it wont hurt if you tell the hotel bar staff if he can be a friend and give you a buy 1 get 1 free refill. i always get 1 when i stay. The beach. Mactan island is a rocky area to have a Boracay type of beach, but i guess shang did something to remove those rocks so that you can enjoy the beach with white sand. i suggest to rent the Catamaran and sail in the middle, they do have lessons for 1st timer and its a good water sport to enjoy. BTW shangrila is near the airport so its better to stay here after you see everything in cebu city so that you dont need to travel back to cebu city to shop, but incase you forgot to buy your CNT lechon and danggit, then the hotel provides free shuttle to sm cebu and glorieta.

Room Tip: Choose the Room on a Higher Floor with Sea View.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BrawnJoeBlack
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 14 January 2013

resorts I`ve ever been to.

Everything was perfect - there is nothing more to say.

Only minus point may be the restaurants located in Shangri-la. they are expensive and the food is OK, but it`s not very good as you would expect from the Shangri la. Best was by far the pizza in the Italian restaurant.

Shangri la is also big enough that you are not directly confronted with the neighbourhood in Mactan, which is mostly slum-like.

If you want to dive, I would recommend to compare prices with the Shangri la`s diving school and schools from outside.

The breakfast was excellent, the service as well! For children the resort is a wonderlad - lot`s of playground there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank El N
Ventura, California
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This is a great resort in most ways: great service, really great food for breakfast, huge, amazing selection of all kinds of breakfasts from around the world. Beautiful grounds, a really fun playground. It has a nice beach if a bit small. I loved the schools of fish swimming around me. It also has a fabulous play area for kids, a full on adventure space the likes of which I have never seen. My nephew had a blast. The room we stayed in was nice, nothing hugely special, but I was comfortable. The real attraction was all there was to see and do there.

Here's why I gave it two stars: I used the workout room and went to sit in the steam room. I didn't stay long because it smelled odd and thought there may be something that looked like mold on the walls. I couldn't tell because it was so dark in there. I went back the next day to check it out and almost fainted. Not only was there mold all over the walls, there were several different colors of mold; black, yellow something pinkish. Maybe more, I didn't stay to really examine it. I was horrified that I had breathed the air in that room for even a minute. What kind of 5-star resort would allow a health hazard this disgusting to happen? Mold like that doesn't happen overnight. It must have been festering there for a LONG time.

I sought out management to let them know about this problem, and their response was insincere and underwhelming. That steam room needed to be boarded up and condemned. This was one small thing in an otherwise great experience, but I can't think about Shangri-La at Mactan and not see that filthy, revolting mold in my mind. Totally ruined it for me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank luisabele
JuergenDoerr, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Please accept our apologies for the manner in which your concern was handled.

We would like you to know that we have reviewed our maintenance procedures, specifically for the area you mentioned.

We hope you will be able to come back and enjoy our Shangri-La hospitality.
Zamboanga City, Philippines
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My most recent stay here was last August 2012.

I love everything about it. My most recent stay in this hotel was work related and I just can't think of anything bad to say about it. The hotel, the beach, the room, the service. It was all excellent. My stay was absolutely perfect. :)

Additonal Comment: Location is far ofcourse from the shopping district, but if you're here for the resort then that wont be an issue. 30minute to 1 hour drive to the shopping district.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!