“Paradise for our Young Children”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Paradise for our Young Children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We had a marvellous stay here with our two daughters aged 2 and 4 years old. The aspects which, for us, made it particularly enjoyable were as follows:

1) A white sand beach with lots of shade and sunbeds and drinks and food service including great pizzas cooked in a wood burning oven.
2) A range of ‘Aquaplay’ water slides that were very popular with our young daughters.
3) The indoor children’s play room and the children’s party.
4) A good selection of fresh food and good service at breakfast in the Acqua restaurant.
5) A reasonably priced beach barbeque for dinner with good food and entertainment.
6) A nurse available on site to attend to minor injuries.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

Let me start this review with reminding people that this is meant to be a five star hotel, with prices that match. This resort has many pluses - it is great with kids, the (man-made) beach is actually rather good with kids, snorkelling is fun, the staff are generally great, the pool is fabulous with kids, and their kids club is ok. However, it also has lots of minuses, and I think these are very disappointing for a property that charges these sorts of prices. While the buffet food is fabulous, the rest of the a'la carte food was very disappointing, and we ate in each different restaurant. The breakfast chaos was also really difficult, it's not big enough for that many people. The place by the pool has the worst service in the world and very average food, the 'romantic' cove place has a great bar and view but, again, very average food and the italian in particular was absolutely woeful, with service to match. Anything other than pizza, don't eat at the italian place at all, the food was simply appalling. We stayed in the supposedly newly renovated wing and still our rooms were awfully outdated, had a terrible view over the hideous pink hotel next door, and our toilet did not work properly the entire time we stayed there. Each time our butler kept telling us it was fixed, each time it wasn't. In the end, we were leaving any way, so no point in complaining. Luckily we had the interconnecting room with the kids, or it would have been a real problem. We had access to the club, and it was very full every night, which was also disappointing. And things like the outdated old bar and water-stained carpet in our hallway don't help things. One thing you must do if you stay here though, is go to the spa. I love a good spa, and this is one of the best I have been to, amazingly beautiful, fabulous treatments and such good service. The water massage in particular was incredible. So lots of plusses, but it would be great if they could fix up those numerous disappointments, it would make this place truly wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Expat-traveller-HK
JuergenDoerr, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We have taken note of your feedback and will take the appropriate action. We hope you will be able to come back someday to enjoy the true Shangri-La hospitality.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Perfect place if you want for your family a safe and relaxing environment. Outstanding service, tipycal Shangri-La, location is beautiful, and a good range of restaurants. Very easy to reach from Hong Kong

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank faderosa
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was prepping for my birthday celebration, en route to Hongkong, but decided to stay home and look for a nice (the word is underrated!) and exclusive resort where I can relax and spoil myself. Why not try Shangri-La’s Mactan in Cebu? Why, indeed?. Upon arriving at Mactan Airport, i looked for the Shangri-La booth and the person manning their small booth offered me water (boy, i was so thirsty and he just did the right thing) took my hotel voucher and immediately called the shuttle driver. After 2 minutes, i was on my way to the resort. That was fast! A mere 10-15minutes from the airport and everything was so smoothly done; my check-in was done 4mins after I arrived. The hotel is exclusively nestled in a private property that it felt intimidating yet so relaxed! The lobby reminds me of the Manila Hotel lobby but i would say less imposing and very colonial with a modern touch. I was sheltered on the 9th floor (the main wing i supposed), the room was huge with my own veranda overlooking the other side of Mactan with the imposing view of a residential building and magnificent greeneries! My room was refurbished with best shower and tub evah! Deepsoaking! Fresh towels and toilet amenities were delivered and changed every morning that even made my day fabulous (honestly, im a sucker for five-star hotels toilet amenities!). The food was delectable i gained 4 pounds upon check out! (So true!) The buffet setting at TIDES was divine! I personally love the food selections! They surprised me with a birthday cake and the crew sang "Happy Birthday", personally i was teary-eyed and can’t thank them enough! I enjoyed the beach area very much, snorkelling was great that my day would end around 5pm just reading on the beach lounger and snorkelling afterwards. Island cooler on the beach, heavenly! I didn’t get to enjoy the main pool, but the more secluded pool just beside ACQUA, was super inviting. Dinner at Italian restaurant ACQUA sets the bar in island dinning. They have the best selections of wine, from MOET to Sauvignon blanc to cheaper Spanish concoctions! Another birthday cake and a happy birthday song later, i was deadpan and just cried alone while talking to my family over the phone.TEA OF SPRINGS has this very romantic appeal and sophisticated ambiance matched with great food! The people at Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa are truly amazing, they will surprised you and even go the extra mile just to make you feel special.My only regret was not being able to try the impressive massage at CHI SPA. It was a wonderful birthday and cant wait to go back end of February or this coming summer season.

Room Tip: Any rooms will do as long as its on the upper floors.The club rooms would be better preferred overlo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oriellini
Metro Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

My Family and I spent our Christmas 2012 at Cebu and I must say, we are outmost satisfied with the overall package Shangri-La Mactan had to offer.

Upon arrival, we were couteously greeted by their staff. We had no problems in checking in. Lobby was huge but couches in the front desk tend to go full when a number of people checks in and out at the same time. Welcome drinks are also served.

We got 3 Garden View rooms. It was spacious enough with a great view in the veranda of the Garden and the beach as well. Bed was comfortable to sleep on, couch inside the room was also nice. T&B was clean enough and basic toiletries were provided. One thing I didn't like about the bathroom is that they didn't install any bidet and our room was kind of far from the elevator. Took us a couple of minutes to reach it.

Amenities: Wow. Truly a 5-star hotel. Beachfront I believe is their asset. Great sun beds. Beach is being cleaned everyday as seaweeds floating tend to make it look as if it's not clean, but it actually is. My favorite is actually the fact that you need not rent a boat to see a school of fish since it is offered right on their beach. You can have a snorkling gear and dive right there. Their reef is not the best I have seen but is actually commendable.

Food: Lots to choose from. But prepare to spend a lot. The buffet breakfast included in our room availment was superb. Lots of food choices and 3 restaurants within the hotel actually serve breakfast to accomodate all the people checked in.

This hotel offers a lot more than I can describe. so just book it and see for yourself. I would love to go back if time permits.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Our 3 days holiday was a very good holiday.
Our day 1 was welcomed by a very gloomy day - a few rains here and there.. the weather prediction for the next few days was not that good. But even though the weather was not that great, our stay was very enjoyable.
We arrived in the airport and was greeted by the Airport Rep who immediately arranged for our shuttle to the resort..The short shuttle trip was an experienced... you will be able to see the busy streets of Lapu- Lapu city.
Check in was a swift procedure, in a few minutes we were at our rooms..
As we left Manila early and did have a good breakfast, we were all hungry and looking forward for a great lunch...We decided to go the the TIDES restaurant. Service was great, food was great but found the Indian Chicken Curry not that very good..
Pool and Beach Service was superb!!!
I will never forget our Halo-Halo - love it !!! All the other guests were looking on what we ordered!!! It was served on o a fresh coconut!!!
Dinner was ok at the Cowrie Grill - soup was cold.
To kill time, we decided to have a few drinks and be kids at the play room. There is a Time Zone at the hotel!!!
The band singing that night were really good.
I remember a friend forgot to bring rubber slippers and to our surprised... rubber slippers were available in the room!!! not only that the ladies with long hair.. should you forgot to bring ponytail holders... they have one for you. I wish that sunblock is also provided that would be a sure winner!!!
Over-all the stay was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

This is one of my favourite spots on the whole earth. Open air lobby gives you the summer breeze you ever wanted to refresh. Professional, friendly and beautiful staff are everywhere just to help you, many restaurants and bars all over the place and you need atleast 2 days to get familiar with the directions. Do never miss a dinner in the seafood restaurant almost inside the water, unbelievably amazing. Views are from heaven overlooking the beach, swimming pools and gardens. Breakfast is unusual with almost everything you know about food. Location is isolated and this is much better, with 15 mins driving from the city of Cebu and all the businsess and also the night life spots. In brief, one of the best in the world of tourism.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!