“Fantastic Family Break”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic Family Break”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over the Chinese New Year period, with kids aged 8 and 10. We loved it and had a fantastic time! It was peak seaon and was very busy, but this did not impact the friendly and helpful service from the staff; they always tried to help even on the beach to find seats. Facilities for kids are fantastic, from snorkelling off the beach to pools to indoor playground. Awesome. We took the holiday package which gave us unlimited non-motorised watersports and buffet dinner each night at Tides restaurant for less than SGD100 additional per night. Great value and love the water sports.

Couple of tips for travellers:
- rooms are very clean and all amenities you would expect, but they are dated. Apparently they are all being refurbished from April so that should improve (it didn't distract from the holiday, but just letting you know).
- the expeditions from Scotty's Tours are very EXPENSIVE! We have been to Cebu before so I found a tour guide at the Korean restuarant outside the hotel gate. We hired our own boat for the day at about 30% of the cost for us all to book a trip with Scottys, and were collected and dropped back at the hotel lobby. Yes, you have a short trip to the local wharf, a "strange" transfer from the wharf to your boat and you have to pay your own entrance fees, tips and lunches to the islands, but we saved about SGD400 doing it this way.

Overall fantastic and we are planning a return trip next year!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for a week over CNY with my family of 3 children (aged 4, 3 and 4 months). We stayed in a garden view room on the 7th floor. The view out of the room was over looking the entrance and had partial sea views. To be honest I can not see the point in paying more for a sea view as you would be over looking the pool area as well. We didn't spend that much time in the room so it was perfect for us. The hotel is AMAZING for familes. We used the baby sitting service both in the day and at night (300 pesos per hour). We even had a sitter come with us on a boat trip- AWESOME!!! The holiday here was so easy because of this service. It meant we could have adult time, snorkelling, bathing etc without having to be focusing on the children the whole time. The older children loved the adventure zone and went in there most days. Children aged 4 and over can go in unsupervised. The staff are all so friendly and attentive. They pay close attention to detail. The weather was changeable during the week and we had a lot of rain. This did not spoil the trip as you could still sit at the beach under a cabana. The snorkelling just off the beach was SUPER and we saw Nemo 3 times!! I have snorkelled in lots of places and this was the easiest and excellent 'quality'. Get down early to reserve a bed as by 7:30am most sun beds were taken!!! The breakfast at Tides was great and had a huge selection. Was rather busy but that is because it was a holiday week. The dinner at Tides was also great. LOVED the fresh mango!!! I was not so impressed with the food at Cowrie Cove or the Buko special dinner. My children and I were sick after the Buko dinner. The entertainment at the dinner was great, but I was not impressed by the food at all. Stay safe and eat at Tides in the evening. Evening drinks at Cowrie Cove were good though. We went on a morning trip organised by Scotty's Tours to another island to snorkel. This was great and we saw even more fish. If you are not a good swimmer I would not recommend as the current was very strong and it was hard going. Not suitable for young children. The children's slides ere a winner. My older 2 loved the bigger water slide. The slides at the Kota Kinabalu Tanjung were better than the smaller slides here. They were a bit too small for kids aged 4 and above. Still excellent water area though.
Over I have to say it was the easiest holiday with small children. We all LOVED every day. Despite the rain and the food poisoning!!! We WILL come back there. I am already planning our next trip to this family paradise for next year. I would avoid major holidays though to avoid the very busy crowds and not so good weather. If going to Cebu with a family you should stay here!!!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are fine. Higher floor to get a partial sea view if you really want one.
2 Thank anafonitria
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is my first negative review and I had hoped to not have to write one, but the experience my husband and I had needs to be mentioned.

My husband and I were really excited about staying at this hotel. The trip was our "baby moon" and also my birthday celebration. Unfortunately, the hotel was just not the 5-star hotel that it had claimed to be. We've stayed at many resorts in our 2 years of travel as expats and this was by far the worst. Everything is overpriced and the staff were quick to turn our complaints back on us... we were the ones with the problem they said. I kept telling my husband that I felt like a third class citizen on the Titanic. If the Shangri-La boat was sinking, they'd save the Ocean Wing people first, the staff second and then us.

Pros:
- Beautiful beach (a little rocky though)
- OK breakfast buffet
- CHI spa is wonderful (expensive, but worth it)
- Shuttle service to Cebu city and airport ($)
- Great gym (friendly staff)
- Room service

Cons:
- Smoking (floor non-smoking, but smoking anyways)
- Rude staff
- No chairs at pool or beach (beach staff tipped to put towels on chairs for guests at 6 AM!)
- Expensive (everything costs money, even kids activities; on excursions you are nickeled and dimed)
- Hard bed
- Doors slam loudly when shut; woke us up at all hours
- Outdated room (unless you pay a small fortune and stay in the Ocean Wing)
- Felt very isolated at hotel because not a lot of options
- Very crowded when we were there

Such a disappointing trip. We have no desire to return to the Shangri-La in the Philippines and are re-thinking staying at others in the future.

Room Tip: Apparently you need to stay in the Ocean Wing to get the best quality and service possible. It is a...
6 Thank Littlegrl401
JuergenDoerr, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for giving your feedback. We are very concerned to hear about the issues you raised, and would appreciate if you could share more details so we can effectively address these. Please contact me directly at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This hotel is by far the BEST property I've ever stayed at. We upgraded to the Ocean tower so that we could get a beach & pool view. Also, we got access to the ocean club which gave us snacks all day long and cocktail hour from 5:00-7:00pm along with some canapes. Daily breakfast was included with our package. The food was fantastic and the service was even better. I was craving cuchinta - A filipino rice cake. I asked the chef if they had it and he said "sorry ma'am, we don't have any" Within 10 mins he came to my table and handed me a plate of cuchinta. I was impressed that he even remember what I looked like.
They do have a shuttle that takes you into the city. If you are comfortable with taking a taxi and have more than 3 people in your party, it is cheaper to take a taxi.
They have everything from minigolf, to a full on golf course. Jet ski, tennis, numerous pools, a gym, games room, ping pong, WiFi all over including the beach area and the list of amenities goes on an on.
I recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a bit on the higher end of the price scale, but it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: UPgrade to the Ocean tower and ocean club with a panoramic view
2 Thank sunnytravelgirl
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Great hotel at Cebu you can comfortably spend a weekend with good foods, nice beach. There are about two signature restaurant serve Italian food and seafood, and one pool side and beach side cafe is also a great place to hangout. The beach offer difference water sports and its not difficult to swim out a bit for more coral at the bottom.
In-room facilities are standard chain hotel group type, do not expected much. Free wifi is also becoming standard offering.

Avoid going there in the first weekend of August since there is ironman race in Cebu you will see lot of sweaty athletic rushing for foods or walking with bike for their preparation. Or you will be motivated by the spectating the race.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank charlescyhui
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the hotel facilities, great beach, snorkeling, mini golf and children's pool activities. Everyone found something interesting every day. Also used jet skis, island hopping tour and para sailing as reasonable paid activities. Tended to use AQUA for most meals including breakfast buffet, dinner risotto excellent as well as lamb and pasta dishes, some excellent wines found but fully priced. Key to all stays at Shangri la chain is the attentive and pro active staff, they always excel in making each stay an experience. Highly recommend Macatan Island Shangri La for family vacations or short breaks.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The hotel and grounds are spectacular. I stayed for 5 days recently and contrary to my usual travel behavior I not once left the hotel grounds. Snorkling, Jetskiing, relaxing by the various pools, swimming in the sea with the tropical fish it pretty much sums up paradise for me.

Stayed in a renovated the luxe seaside room, bed is pretty good, the room is slightly outdated in some area's but overall clean and well kept. there are several restaurants on the grounds, including two that also serve a breakfast buffet. From Cebu airport it is only a 15 car drive to the hotel, opted for a hotel car.

The staff are great, the food is excellent and for a resort not too outrageously priced. When you check in they offer you a full inclusive package, i declined this as I don't like buffet dinning but for couples traveling with children that could be a good option (it is a great place for children for sure).

I will most certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Go for the renovated sea side rooms, the view sitting on your balcony is breathtaking
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!