“We love to visit this hotel again and again...i love it..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Austria
“We love to visit this hotel again and again...i love it..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

The first time we stay was last 2008 after that we love to stay once a year this hotel.The last time we stay last 2011.We travelled in every different places in my hometown.
I remember that i booked only 1 night but my husband extended it for 4 nights more.He don't like to change our hotel.He told me,that he like to stay 1 month.Take the filipino resident price because it's about half price.The room is very spacious,clean,bath tub and everything you need.They will serve you fresh fruits&bottled water.The buffet breakfast was always the best for us.The beach is nice but with small&big stones.be careful when your in the beach.I love to go swimming everyday.
If i am not mistaken,they had 5 different swimming pools.I am sure that the whole family will enjoy the trip&relax in this place.I will highly recommend this place.

We plan to visit again on our next travelled this coming 2014.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Everything you would expect from a Shangr La including the prices! Beautiful beachfront location, great pools and bright spacious rooms. Excellent food, the buffet, chinese restaurant and clifftop A la Carte are all fabulous but very expensive by Phillipine standards.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Bettsi1
Manila,Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

staff are well trained to handle situations and guests problems. very easy to act on situations. no discrimination whether filipino or not. food buffet many choices. lavish. ,,always serves cebu specialties like lechon. rooms are big.

Room Tip: ocean wing rooms are more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stayed at Shangri-La's Mactan resort for a business trip for 9 nights in January 2013. I had a great time and would definitely stay here again.

Room: I had a standard room, and I can see why Shangri-La also advertises refurbished rooms. I would describe my room as well used but well maintained. Furniture is a little scuffed, bathroom is a little worn, but everything is clean and well maintained. Linens are fresh and clean. Housekeeping was consistent and fairly meticulous. Obviously the Ocean Wing would be more picturesque, but I appreciated being near the front desk and main wing.

Service: Everyone at the resort is super friendly and helpful. I used the hotel transportation through Avis twice every day, and pickups were prompt and reliable. The drivers were friendly and polite. I believe that this hotel offers everything that a business traveler could want, and non-business travelers would probably be tempted not to even leave the resort.

Food: Room service is tasty and prompt -- hot foods are hot and cold foods are cold. My favorites (after nine days of tasting, keep in mind) were the Yanhzhou fried rice, kung pao chicken, cous cous with vegetables, and spaghetti bolognese. The buffet breakfast is as spectacular as everyone says -- a world of options, anything you can want. I preferred the buffet at the Acqua (which I found slightly less crowded) to the one at Tides, but both were wonderful. I also had a yummy lunch at Tea of Spring.

Local area: Mactan is about 30-35 minutes (depending on traffic) from Cebu City and the main sightseeing area, but about a kilometer away is Lapu Lapu Shrine and some souvenir shopping. The road between the Shang and the shrine is kind of tight for walking, so be careful. You might also get pestered by taxi drivers along the way.

Overall, this is a great resort and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an ocean view, the Ocean Wing is for you.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed at this resort hotel during the weekend ( Feb 15-17, 2013 ) for 2 nights. I wanted a weekend getaway and opted to revisit this place ( i.e. the first time I saw this place was during the mid 90's ). During my first visit wayback then I already fell in love with this place. When I arrived at the hotel, there was an Indian wedding going on ( for 4 days ) hence the hotel was fully booked. I thought the place would be very crowded but realized after all that the place is so big, you can still have your own private moments away from the madding crowd. The room I got was on the 6th floor, garden wing. It wasn't renovated yet ( as the TV is still the hunchback type ) but well maintained. Being an Inner Circle member, I got my daily dose of fresh fruits. Service is reactive yet commendable. Almost everyone I met greeted me with a smile. Also, if you need something, they aim to accomodate you if they can. There were 4 major restaurants and 6 other lounge / drinking places. The breakfast buffet at Tides was adequate. Dimsum during lunch at Tea of Spring was lovely. I enjoyed a dip at the Ocean wing swimming pool. Lastly, I enjoyed hanging out at the spa inside the fitness centre. I even tried the Powerbreak massage ( in which your whole body is submerged in the jacuzzi while your head, face and upper body is being massaged ) which was relaxing and invigorating. One thing though I would suggest is that they should not charge a fee for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and vice versa considering that other 5 star hotels offer this as a free service. Other than that, everything seemed perfect to me.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a bit better than garden view rooms but there is a price difference
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Teo G
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over the Chinese New Year period, with kids aged 8 and 10. We loved it and had a fantastic time! It was peak seaon and was very busy, but this did not impact the friendly and helpful service from the staff; they always tried to help even on the beach to find seats. Facilities for kids are fantastic, from snorkelling off the beach to pools to indoor playground. Awesome. We took the holiday package which gave us unlimited non-motorised watersports and buffet dinner each night at Tides restaurant for less than SGD100 additional per night. Great value and love the water sports.

Couple of tips for travellers:
- rooms are very clean and all amenities you would expect, but they are dated. Apparently they are all being refurbished from April so that should improve (it didn't distract from the holiday, but just letting you know).
- the expeditions from Scotty's Tours are very EXPENSIVE! We have been to Cebu before so I found a tour guide at the Korean restuarant outside the hotel gate. We hired our own boat for the day at about 30% of the cost for us all to book a trip with Scottys, and were collected and dropped back at the hotel lobby. Yes, you have a short trip to the local wharf, a "strange" transfer from the wharf to your boat and you have to pay your own entrance fees, tips and lunches to the islands, but we saved about SGD400 doing it this way.

Overall fantastic and we are planning a return trip next year!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for a week over CNY with my family of 3 children (aged 4, 3 and 4 months). We stayed in a garden view room on the 7th floor. The view out of the room was over looking the entrance and had partial sea views. To be honest I can not see the point in paying more for a sea view as you would be over looking the pool area as well. We didn't spend that much time in the room so it was perfect for us. The hotel is AMAZING for familes. We used the baby sitting service both in the day and at night (300 pesos per hour). We even had a sitter come with us on a boat trip- AWESOME!!! The holiday here was so easy because of this service. It meant we could have adult time, snorkelling, bathing etc without having to be focusing on the children the whole time. The older children loved the adventure zone and went in there most days. Children aged 4 and over can go in unsupervised. The staff are all so friendly and attentive. They pay close attention to detail. The weather was changeable during the week and we had a lot of rain. This did not spoil the trip as you could still sit at the beach under a cabana. The snorkelling just off the beach was SUPER and we saw Nemo 3 times!! I have snorkelled in lots of places and this was the easiest and excellent 'quality'. Get down early to reserve a bed as by 7:30am most sun beds were taken!!! The breakfast at Tides was great and had a huge selection. Was rather busy but that is because it was a holiday week. The dinner at Tides was also great. LOVED the fresh mango!!! I was not so impressed with the food at Cowrie Cove or the Buko special dinner. My children and I were sick after the Buko dinner. The entertainment at the dinner was great, but I was not impressed by the food at all. Stay safe and eat at Tides in the evening. Evening drinks at Cowrie Cove were good though. We went on a morning trip organised by Scotty's Tours to another island to snorkel. This was great and we saw even more fish. If you are not a good swimmer I would not recommend as the current was very strong and it was hard going. Not suitable for young children. The children's slides ere a winner. My older 2 loved the bigger water slide. The slides at the Kota Kinabalu Tanjung were better than the smaller slides here. They were a bit too small for kids aged 4 and above. Still excellent water area though.
Over I have to say it was the easiest holiday with small children. We all LOVED every day. Despite the rain and the food poisoning!!! We WILL come back there. I am already planning our next trip to this family paradise for next year. I would avoid major holidays though to avoid the very busy crowds and not so good weather. If going to Cebu with a family you should stay here!!!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are fine. Higher floor to get a partial sea view if you really want one.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!