Stayed at the Shangri-La Mactan in Cebu in August when we were competing in the Cobra Half-Ironman race weekend. Cebu as a destination for a weekend from HK fell off my radar many years ago after one too many friends came back with very underwhelming reviews. Have to say that after my recent stay at the Shangri-La Mactan, I would go definitely go back. The staff were incredibly friendly, from the gardener, to the pool guys, to the front office staff - everyone was smiling, pleasant, helpful - literally blew Thai hospitality out of the water. The pools were amazing. As far as resorts go the food (and price - they don't gouge you which was a breath of fresh air for the Shang) was also above average. To be fair, there were 2000 people there that weekend for the triathlon so the kitchens were handling the massive stress test very well. And the private beach with fishes, shells, marine sanctuary and white sand at your door step was stunning.
Couple of annoyances: We stayed in an "ocean view" room, which had a pretty average view, most of which was blocked with palm trees. Wouldn't pay for the ocean view again as you're out of the room most days in front of the ocean anyway. The room did NOT include wifi (which continues to boggle my mind) and you had to go to the business center to apply for the ridiculously priced wifi (which was something ridiculous like USD 20 per day) and it was still painfully slow. Surely, Shangri-La, it's time for you to invest in a good inhouse wifi system.
Don't have kids, but we had some friends who brought their children along (quite young as well) and they raved about the babysitting service, all of whom were registered nurses. They said they would go back in a heartbeat.
All in all, Cebu is 1 hour flight from HK, so within 5 hours door to door, you can get yourself to a white sand beach with friendly service and all the amenities you might need. I look forward to going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and TravelUp so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island