“Way too crowded, but amazing staff performance”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hong Kong
“Way too crowded, but amazing staff performance”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Cebu is my favorite city in the Philippines, and I have been there many times, but I usually stay at much simpler digs and I'm used to everyday life among the Cebuanos. I ended up at the Shangri-La with family. I flew in from Manila and got to the resort a few hours after my family arrived.

The Shangri-La pickup process at the airport was efficient and while I had to wait longer for the van than the trip would've been by taxi, it was complimentary. Again, I'm used to taking cabs and Cebuano taxi drivers are known for their honesty, especially compared to their Manila counterparts, but for the newbie to Cebu or the resort-style tourist, I guess this matters.

My family told me they had to request room changes twice because of a strong smell of mold in the first two rooms--this seems to be standard at beach resorts throughout Asia, since people leave their balcony doors open and the humid air hits the cold, air conditioned room and condensation gets everywhere.

They finally got an acceptable room just before I arrived.

The hotel was packed with tourists in late May/June. Getting a table at breakfast was a chore and on one morning they even had to open up a ballroom of sorts for the overflow from Aqua! Cebuanos are known for their hospitable natures and this was true at the Shangri-La for sure, where everything was taken care of smoothly, despite the sheer volume of guests.

One on morning the watermelon juice that was served at Aqua was off...really off...but other than that I felt the food and service was perfectly acceptable at all of the establishments we dined at. I also felt the coffee served at breakfast was subpar, but this is par for course at larger hotel chains around the world, so I wasn't too surprised.

I personally would not stay at the Shangri-La again, primarily because of the sheer volume of guests, and also because I prefer to spend most of my time outside of my hotel when I'm in Cebu, but if I was looking for the resort experience, there are hundreds of options in Cebu and on neighboring islands to consider. That being said, the Shangri-La and its staff do an incredible job, and must be commended for it. Daghang salamat gud!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philippines
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I always wanted to back here and I took the chance when I went to Cebu to attend my friend's wedding. The day after the wedding, I checked out from our hotel where we stayed for the wedding and transferred to Shangri-la. All the hotel staffs were amazing, accommodating and very polite. We spent our time together at the beach relaxing whole day. We love the buffet dinner at Buko Bar along with the program that night. We were just missing the breakfast buffet that we really long for and one of the reasons why we really wanted to be back. Bad timing that Tides is under renovation during our visit. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back for more. Cheers to this great hotel!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is HUGE. The resort is in itself, a vacation area that you need to devote time, to explore the amenities this hotel offers. Get this hotel if you plan to spend time in the resort (and not go downtime most of the time). If your visit is to tour the whole of Cebu proper and the adjacent towns, it's probably better to get a hotel outside Mactan.

Shangrila Mactan, as written, is a big resort. I only stayed a few days but I didn't spend much time in the hotel resort, as I was always out and touring the city. I will recommend this hotel - very luxurious and great beach area (though not that big as you can see from the pics that I posted.

The hotel rooms however, I wasn't too impressed. I didn't have a good picture of it, so I decided not to post one. Overall, great hotel, attentive staff and possibly the best resort in Mactan.

Room Tip: Get the Club Room if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Time_Traveler101
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Every this is Execellent from Accommodation, Amenities to the staff! The food was really good. You will enjoy swimming with the fishes. Also, try their buffet breakfast and dinner it's so delicious but don't forget to make a reservation since they're almost full everyday. (",)

Room Tip: very clean and spacious rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we visited on the recommendation from friends to access the diving in the local area. Hotel very large, and busy with lots of families with young children. We paid a bit more for the Ocean Club Wing & room which was worth the extra cost. Lovely view and nice to have the separate breakfast area & afternoon drinks. Diving was good, will visit again for ease. Was very close to the airport (you don't hear the planes tho), didn't leave hotel apart from diving. Crazy golf was good fun and food in the restaurants was very good

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
cebu city
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed there for a night with my husband and facilities and provisions were just superb with little details paid attention to such as provision of water heater, coffee and tea, etc. They also have a playroom and pool for kids and the kids at heart. The environment is just flawless and spotless and I like it that staff greet you using the local dialect.

Room Tip: Choose one facing the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The final destination for us in Phillipines. Unfortunately our most disappointing, but we had been spoilt prior.

We went at a time when there were school holidays in Korea, hence a lot of tourists hopping over from there with children. Thought it would be quieter when I had booked it, simply because it was our honeymoon. The only time this was a problem at all was at breakfast really, where it got extremely busy with children running all over the place, but credit to the staff, they maintained standards.

Great trips from here to waterfalls etc. Although these tours were very expensive, hence I have docked them their 5/5 review.

Mini golf, table tennis etc was a lot of fun.

Their spa, I would say is the best in the world (well at least from what I have seen).

Will be going to other Shangri-la hotels most definitely.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!