“Great place to stay for a family trip”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Shangrila delivered as expected. Lots of activities for the family and baby friendly. Check in time was a bit long since they were running on high occupancy when we traveled but they made up for it. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RyanPangilinan

Reviewed 26 July 2014

At the registration desk I was checked in by Terrance. He was superb. He got me a SIM card from the business center took me to my room and told me everything I needed to know. He set the tone for a perfect experience and it was kept up by all the other employees, especially Jasmine in the Ocean Club (executive club). I had dinner at the Italian restaurant Acqua, with Chef Gianfranco Pirrone, and it was superb. (The Rima Italian Restaurant in Shangri-la Boracay needs to take lessons from him). I was on business and its near to the airport but an extra drive into the city but its worth it. Get the Ocean Wing if you can. I can't say enough good things about the staff and the way its run. If you are on business get Terrance to sort out any of your needs. He will be managing the place one day - he is that good.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean Wing and a sea view. Pay for access to Ocean Club its good value. Breakfast and evenin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tangodancers
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just checked in to a series of annoying and disturbing problems. For the price and all the pomp and circumstance in the lobby, the rooms don't live up to the expectation or the price
We had 2 burned out ceiling lights. The bathroom sliding door was off its hinges (rollers). The electric outlets were broken or worn down from so many prior occupants trying to fit their plugs into them that 2 outlets were totally unusable. Ridiculous. The problems taken individually are small but combined they made us very annoyed and angry. We were staying at a nice hotel in Cebu and came here for the weekend, at twice the cost. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill F
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Bill,

Thank you for sharing with us about your recent stay and are sorry to hear of your experience. I have made a note on all the points for us to improve on with regards to the working condition of our guestrooms and will ensure these are properly addressed by our team.

I thank you for your honest feedback and hope there will be another opportunity for us to show you the Shangri-La hospitality that you have come to expect from us. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa is advertised as a 5-star resort. It does live up to its reputation. What stands out is the excellent staff. This is the one thing I noticed about the hotels in the Philippines (4 and 5 start only) and not just the Shangri-La - the staff is EXEMPLARY! I would be walking casually in a corridor, lost in thought, and if I come across hotel staff we are given a big smile and a greeting of "Good morning sir", or "Hello ma'am" or "I hope you're enjoying your stay sir" or other such pleasantry. They always SMILE and slightly nod their heads. You can tell it's part of their training because all of them do it. In my experience, hotel staff in the Philippines provide better service than hotel staff in the U.S.

The hotel has an airport shuttle which may or may not be complementary depending on the type of room you pay for. They are on a set schedule and leave on time.

I was given the room I expected. The toiletries were generous. Our bathroom was supplied with two small bottles each of shampoos, conditioners, body lotion and body wash. Additionally, there were cotton swabs, Q-tips, toothbrush with Colgate toothpaste, two luxurious bath robes, 2 sets of flip flops which we could take home, shower cap, a sewing kit and even laundry detergent. This is the only hotel I've been to that supplied laundry detergent. The bathroom also had a shower stall separate from the bath tub.

The room, however, was a lot smaller than I expected. The two double beds in our room were stuck right next to each other with no space in between. This was no deal breaker though.

The landscaping of the hotel grounds are beautiful. There is even a golf course in the property.

When you go to the fitness center, you are immediately handed a rolled towel and a bottle of water, without your asking. If you forget your ear phones, you are promptly provided one. Each exercise machine has its own TV which makes it easier for you to pass the time exercising.

Besides the usual snorkelling, kayaking, etc., kind of ocean activities, the hotel offers parasailing and diving (for beginners as well as for certified divers). Unlike previous resorts I stayed in though (Miniloc and Amun Ini) these water activities are NOT complementary. You are charged for everything, which is one of this hotels somewhat negative aspect. Then Shangri-la IS EXPENSIVE.

Breakfast came with our room, and the restaurant where we had it was called the Acqua, which during our stay functioned as a buffet restaurant during breakfast, then converted to an Italian restaurant for lunch and dinner.

I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CITravelfan
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I are big fans of shangrila. We love the facilities and most of all the service. However the past couple of times we have been there, we have been seeing it getting run down. The babies play room stinks so bad, its hard for us to bring our baby in there. It also seems like no one has been cleaning, toys were sticky. Our bedroom on the ocean wing 4th floor seemed really old and smelled musty. Its sad that a favorite place of ours is starting to get dilapidated. However, on a positive side, the service never fails. Hands down to amazing service! Like to make special mention to Gea from the breakfast mactan ballroom who accommodated us so well.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Ninna,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience at the resort. We have discussed your concerns with the relevant departments and will ensure that we provide you with a more delightful experience upon your return. Again, thank you for your loyalty to the brand.

Should there be anything else you wish to discuss, please contact me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

For the price and stature one could at least expect great food. But while it's in the middle of renovations in F&B I presume they are aware of the problem and are doing something about it. The more expensive rooms are only slightly better so no need to go for that. I had expected more perks but did not get any. The age of the hotel remains visible in certain details. And even for top prices you still pay for shoe rentals at the gym--that just sucks. As a lifter I don't always wear sneakers to the gym, but that's not allowed, so you need to rent shoes. The gym was decently equipped but is one of the smallest gyms I've been to. Imagine if it had been peak season. The beach was not wide enough, watch out for the rocks in the water, and nothing is inclusive, everything will be charged: boat, canoe, surfboard, and all. Ski jets, I'd understand, but but a little kiddie peddle boat? C'mon! I wouldn't be nit-picking if I didn't know what other hotels offer for the same price. You don't even get a good view of the sunset as the hotel, get this: is on the wrong side! The hotel has not successfully integrated the local charms and does not feel exotic enough. The designers have not been creative enough from the get-go. Its only saving grace: friendly (read: REALLY friendly) staff. And if anything, I'd expect them to be slightly multi-lingual by now, but they're not. Some basic Korean lessons are in order, or at least have a few language specialists in the staff. They should also open more counters to avoid long queues. On the whole still a decent hotel, but when you charge me that much...I'll expect THAT much as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Curilanc2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Perfect vacation for couples! amazing facilities. Fun daily activities to attend in the resort itself. Extremely near the airport so its convenient too.
Restaurants are pricey but ambience is great...

Room Tip: wifi is good!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#16 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!