“First Class all the way”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Jackson, NJ
“First Class all the way”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We visited the beautiful city of Cebu in the Philippines in May of 2009. We were on an island hopping tour with 5 other families..all relatives and Shangri-La was my families home base while in Cebu. Well let me tell you, you wouldn't want to leave the resort once you're settled in. From the look and feel of the hotel, the hotel grounds, to the service, food and cocktails, everything was first class. It can be quite and serene if you wanted it to or you can have a lively nightlife, all while staying inside the premises. It all depends on you. The place has all the amenities for a luxurious stay and all the areas you go to, be it the multiple natural and infinity pools, to spas, to the gym and restaurants were always spacious and inviting and not harried at all. They also have a disco/club like lounge at the edge of the resort that sits on a cliff overlooking the pacific ocean if you feel the need to dance and have a good time. The beach was good but not great. It's man made and it's awesome for snorkeling as the beachfront is a fish sanctuary so expect to see large schools of tropical fishes like Parrot-fish to abound. It was a memorable stay for me and a bunch of loved once. The rates are quite pricey, but you get what you pay for. We will be back!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an Ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I had high expectations on every Shangri-la hotel and I'm glad this branch still lives up to its name. Facilities and accommodations are great! My kids had fun at the pool and at the beach. They have excellent room service and personnels everywhere.

My companion accidentally dropped her phone in the bathroom near the restaurant and luckily the person who got it turned it over to the Lost and Found section. Unfortunately, the swimsuit of my kid which we left on one of the pool benches was lost. Whoever took it did not bother returning it. Bad luck!

Just 2 minor comments: 1) The pillows in our room were probably old already as they were no longer fluffy. It felt like you have no pillow at all under your head when using them. So I requested for a fluffier one. What they gave was still not fluffy enough, though. 2) The room service cleaning the room did not clean the room thoroughly. The biscuit which my kid had probably accidentally dropped on the carpet had been left on the floor. I saw it before but purposely left it near the bed to see if they would clean it. But they did not. Although I commend them for always giving us clean towels and complimentary drinks!

I will still choose to stay here when in Cebu.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank skylovechan
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear skylovechan,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and we're glad to know you enjoyed your last stay with us. We have taken note of you concerns and will address these accordingly.

If there is anything else, please do not hesitate to email me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I have always believed in checking into the hotel where the event will take place to avoid unnecessary stress and easy access to the race venue.

Cobra ironman 70.3 held on August 3, 2014 was at the Shangri la Mactan.

Transportation:
You can inquire about their shuttle service to take you from the airport to hotel and vice versa. To see which shuttle time is most convenient for you. Even bike boxes are accepted as they have a separate vehicles for baggages.
You may also avail of their private car pick up for a certain fee.

Hotel:

I am very pleased to say that shangri la and its staff has mastered being an events venue. Despite the number of people (guests and non guests) in their hotel, they were able to keep the place in order and all staff on stand by and with fast and efficient service. You will never be neglected as a guest despite the many people checking in or have checked in.

The layout of the hotel requires you to do a lot of walking so its best to wear comfortable slippers or walking shoes. Especially on event day, you will do alot of moving around so it is best to be in comfortable attire.

There is a fixed ironman in room dining menu on the weekend of the event. Food is delicious. I most especially enjoyed their adobo.

Beach is open to everyone the day before the race so that they may practice their swim. (A bit of privacy can still be felt at the other half of the beach. Which makes it okay for guests) on event day the beach/swimmin in the water will open for guests at 10am. You are free to lounge by the beach though.

To monitor who guests are, bracelets will be given upon checkin and should only be removed upon check out.

Tides was under renovation so breakfast was moved to their ballroom. It was organized and had a lot of food options. Ranging from fresh fruits to rice to pancakes, yogurt, fish, eggs, etc... There is even a kids buffet section to make breakfast easier for the kids.

I have to commend shangri la for having such friendly and helpful staff. I am amazed by their energy and infectious smiles. Makes you forget you had a long day as a racer or a spectator.

Staying at the venue allows you to use your own bathroom when nature calls. You avoid the long lines where non guests have to go. You can rest in the comfort of your own room or freshen up while killing time, if your racer has forgotten something before the race begins, its always easy to retrieve from the room. And lastly, the walk back to the room after the race isnt too far.

The hotel has a sports massage service which you can book before hand to guarantee a therapist after the race at your given time. This will help alot for the racer.

If you have the budget for a few days in shangri la, i say book it. Its Worth every penny.

Cheers

Stephanie

Stayed August 2014
shanghai
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We gave this three stars because if we didn't have a toddler with us, we'd have been pissed. Overall the resort is on the old side, and the standard room is pretty average. No daily newspaper. Food, especially the breakfast is as if we were on a mass tour, very mediocre, and every day is the same. Tons of fruit flies over the fruit bins, even moldy apples. It doesn't help that the Tides restaurant is under renovation and breakfast is in a banquet hall and pop up tent. After the first weekend, which hosted the ironman, we thought things would get better ( check in was an hr long, then it took another hr to get luggage, but our stroller never came. Five hrs later, even after calling reception, I had to go down and find it myself.). Room is very noisy and we tried for two days to change rooms, but after going back and forth w management, it was just a headache, so we had to stay. (Our son goes to sleep by 8, and you can hear the MC/music from the daily night performances and then also on the other side, hear the noise from the atrium and people coming in and out of the elevator. Pasta/salad Buffet at Aqua is a joke. The salad bar was lettuce, carrot, cucumber, and potato. For pasta, was marinara sauce, cheese sauce, and squid sauce for 650php. Overall, things were just too difficult, like we always had to ask for water refills, or else they forgot to bring dishes we ordered. I wanted to do a tennis activity and asked if rackets were available. The activity man didn't know and said someone will call me. No one did. Also, once the ironman was over, it became very Korean centric. Probably 95% of the hotel was occupied with Koreans. Chairs w umbrellas were taken very early in the morning so if you wanted one, you had to 'claim' your chairs around 7am.
The best part about this resort are the activities for the kids. Our son just loved the water slide. The indoor kid zone charges 200php an hr which I thought was excessive. Make sure you bring long sleeved shirts and socks or they can't go in. Another plus is the free internet.
Shuttle to the mall took 45 min there, 30 min back. There is a supermarket in the basement.
As noted before, if I was here for a romantic weekend w no kids, I'd be livid. This is a mass market resort catering to large tour groups. Very noisy, very crowded.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sjhou1
Dear sjhou1,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Your concerns are well noted and we will certainly take steps to give our guests better facilities and services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortfall in service delivery. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you better service in the future.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further, please feel free to contact me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I joined the Ironman 70.3 Cebu with this hotel hosting the event. They did a great job considering the volume of people. we all had bikes and big stuff with us and I did not see any big degradation of service. 2500 athletes plus family and support teams.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed in several Shangri-La hotels in the past few years and none of them prepared me for what I encountered at this one.
Within half an hour of arriving I honestly felt like I was at a Butlins Holiday Camp in the 1980s, albeit one of their posher ones. I had always considered Shangri-La to be a grown-up luxury brand but this property is quite definitely geared towards children, from the flumes and other toys in the swimming pool, the E-zone for teenagers and the fun zone for younger children. The beach too was full of activities for children.
I tried to find a sedate restaurant for dinner and failed on day one - they were all over-run with children. Day 2 I discovered Cowrie Cove which was excellent.

My room was more in line with expectations although they could do with better soundproofing on the doors as whenever a bunch of people walked along the corridor I could hear their entire conversation.

I think it is safe to say I won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Skatexplorer
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

When talking about Hotel and its standard; for me, nothing beat Shangri-La.

The hotel has ambiance of "summer" because of its aqua color which is very relaxing.

Upon checking in, hotel will offer you juice as refreshment while waiting for your turn.
The room is big enough for a couple that will stay. We received a complimentary cake for celebrating our anniversary in their hotel. The staff are very friendly and approachable.

I really enjoy their pool. The water is not that too cold. They also have kid's pool.

And the most, exciting part... the buffet breakfast! yehey!

Different cuisine was offered and its very delicious. Standards of hotel both in province and in Manila are maintained.

Tip:
Hotel offer van transfer to/from Mactan airport. It is not included upon checking in.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!