We woke up the Friday of Thanksgiving and decided we HAD to leave town for the weekend -- so quick as a bunny, I called Cathay and found they had seats on an afternoon flight to Cebu. I called the Shangri-La, a hotel we have stayed in about 6 times since it opened in the early '90's to see if they had rooms and we were in luck. By 6:30, we were in our bathing suits and floating in a tranquil stretch of beautiful seawater with the stars overhead. A lovely dinner outside on the patio of the Italian restaurant followed and we all happily went back upstairs to our rooms, knowing it is the quick and the decisive that have the most fun!!
This is a hotel that is ideal for a family with small children and was one we took full advantage of when our 4 boys were little. There is a lovely baby pool situated right next to the exit of the waterslide and next to a grassy area with swings. Ideal when we had the competing demands of an 8 and 6 year old (sliders), a 4 year old and and 18 month old (baby poolers)-- by sitting back to back, we could keep an eye on them all and actually have a conversation. The beach is a lovely small spit of white white sand with tame fish who come for bread in the early morning. There has always been a nice kids' club, staffed by lovely kid friendly ladies. My boys never protested when we put them in their pajamas, ordered their meal to be delivered to the kids' club while we went off to a quiet. meal. The downside to the hotel was always the food and the fact it catered to large groups, but the upside was that it was less than a 3 hour flight from Hong Kong and a mere 15 minutes from the airport to the hotel. The restaurants have improved, we know the ropes and staked out shaded lounges on the beach by 8 am and the reef off the shore has been at least partially rejuvenated (wonderful snorkling) so those downsides have happily been rectified.
In recent years we had "graduated" to other locales with 4 teenaged boys. But I thought of this hotel again "in extremis" because it was close, easy and do-able for a weekend. So far it was a choice I will happily make again now that our tastes have gone from the merely convenient and clean to the finer points to vacationing in style. However, this is not a long stay vacation option with older kids -- we would go crazy if staying much longer as there is little if anything to do outside of the hotel.
The Shangri-La has a "club" arrangement to the hotel that has a seperate entrance and a lovely lounge. This made checking in a breeze -- we arrived and were whisked right up to our rooms to complete the formalities. We have, I think, one of the best rooms in the hotel -- a "panorama" club suite -- Room 7001 and the boys had the room next door 7003. The rooms are fine, but not top notch. The living room of the suite is oddly shaped and the furniture cheap and not all that comfortable. That goes for the mattress in the bedroom, which is way too hard. The bathroom has a nice big shower, a lovely sea view and L'Occitaine toiletries, but lacks a decent sized bath. The room smells badly of mildew. The boys room, however, did not. The suite has a double terrace that looks out to sea, which is lovely and the boys' connecting room also has a big terrace with comfortable chairs and a full seaview.
The service has been very very good in all areas of the hotel. It has been a lovely stay so far and well worth the price and the effort of getting here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island