4,039 results
All reviewsocean wingcowrie covechi spaadventure zonetides restaurantocean club loungebuko barmarine sanctuaryfish foodmini golfchinese restaurantprivate beachfish feedingtropical fishbreakfast buffetwhite sand beachplay area
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I feel compelled to write my first review on any hotel for many years, whilst it's fresh in my mind.

Firstly I would say it's probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in based on ticking my boxes. I wanted to find a go-to hotel not far from where I live that has a great pool + private beach attached, within a certain price range, and the Shangri La Cebu ticks these boxes.

My immediate impressions were that it's perfect, the pool was nice and not busy, and the white sand beach and sea is beautiful, but I noticed a couple of flaws later which disappointed me and reduced my opinion slightly. I think upon fixing these problems I wouldn't be able to find any faults with the resort.

1 - The bathrooms do not have extraction fans (we stayed in the main wing, I can't comment on the ocean wing). When you're in a group of adults/children all using the bathroom, certain smells can linger for a long time, if you know what I mean...

Also, being in a hot and humid climate like Cebu, coming out of the shower to a bathroom with no extraction fan is not a pleasant experience. The room is hot and humid for a long time, and you can't wait to get out of there, rather than finish getting ready before leaving the room.

I think in modern bathrooms/homes/luxury hotels ALL bathrooms should have extraction fans, to keep the bathroom dry and cool, especially after a shower. It seems a bit outdated and old fashioned to not have extraction fans.

2 - I was very much looking forward to playing the mini golf, but was extremely disappointed when I did play. Many of the features are literally falling apart, and it seems nobody cleans the area at all. Each hole had multiple twigs/leaves all over them, and the balls frequently got stuck inside the features, as I'm sure inside there are multiple blockages due to the lack of maintenance.

If a hotel is going to have a range of facilities, then you expect ALL facilities to be maintained to the highest standard at all times. The mini golf is quite unplayable for a lot of holes due to the poor condition of it. I felt like the hotel management do not care about this facility and have ignored it for many years now.

My view on this is that the Shangri La should either re-build it entirely to new modern and attractive standards (it looks very old as well as being in bad condition), or get rid of it, not simply ignore it and let it fall apart. Whilst all of the other hotel facilities are excellent, this facility/experience dampened my mood due to the poor condition.

If the above 2 issues can be addressed then for me I would consider this hotel perfect, as everything else is fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear Corp-Travel-Owner,

Thank you for your review.

Please allow me to apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced during your stay, especially in the bathroom and mini golf. While yours was a bittersweet holiday with highs and lows, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. Trust that I’ll be looking into all the areas that need correction with my team.

On the other hand, we appreciate all your kind remarks about the resort – from our beach, pools, and facilities. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and delight you with a perfect seaside escape soon!

Gwen Dela Cruz, Resident Manager for
René D. Egle, General Manager

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

More the expectation.
The hotel service was excellent.
We Stay with 3 kids and everyone enjoy very much.
The food, service, The beach and pools was Very nice and clean.
Surprise us they are so nice and so professional.
we will come back there for sure

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear moshe m,

It’s always a joy to know we have lived up to – or better yet, exceeded – our guests’ expectations. I’m absolutely thrilled to know you loved our food, beach, pools, and our service.

We can’t wait to have you back so you can savor sumptuous dining experiences, try out exciting watersports adventures and relax in our spa haven here in your favorite Mactan paradise. See you!

Gwen Dela Cruz, Resident Manager for
René D. Egle, General Manager

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We were a huge group of almost 200 pax. The food was excellent! The facilities are first class but getting old for Shangrila hotel standards. To keep upnwith the usual service of Shangrila, service staff should be increased especially when a huge group alongside an influx of foreign tourists come. Anyways, our group very much enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear itravelalot04321,

The resort is indeed a heavenly oasis for anyone seeking the solace of the sun, sand and sea.

I’m beyond delighted to hear your charming remarks about the resort, food and the team. Please know that I also appreciate your sentiments about our rooms, especially as we plan for future refurbishments.

As they say, there is never enough time when in paradise, and I do hope you come back and stay a little longer – there are still so many exciting activities to do, flavorful cuisines to try, and magnificent views to take in. See you!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

CONS

1.) encountered a few Shangrila Mactan employees who discriminated me, a local guest, among other incidents here are 2 examples:
- One was the guy who was serving the welcome drinks who bypassed me w/ the offer. He offered welcome drinks to the guest infront and behind me while we were all queing to check-in (check-in wasnt a breeze lol). I would have dismissed it but I was sooo looking forward for my turn to be offered as I was sooo freakin thirsty! (To the mngmnt, if you want to identify and re-train specific employee, I have his photo, as my family took photos of me while lining up).
- another incident was when we were walking in the garden pathway and we wanted to ask for directions. Saw a guy employee, called him,headed towards his direction, chased him but he just kept on walking...... ok we would have dismissed it as maybe he was in a hurry (obviously he heard and saw us) but he acted different towards a Japanese guest (). Japanese tourist was out of his way but going towards his direction but surprise surprise employee went on a full stop and greeted japanese guest with a big smile!

2) the edge of your swimming pool ( the one near the beach) is gross. Pls take time to clean it.

PROS

1.) breakfast buffet at Tides was delicious.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank SkylanderBelle

Dear Skylanderbelle,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am deeply concerned to read of the issues you have raised as they do not reflect the true Shangri-La hospitality, and I wish to assure you that I will be looking into each one of them with my team.

Having said that, I can confidently assure you that what you have experienced was an exception and not the norm. We value each and every one of our guests with the respect, care and warmth that we are normally known for. I apologize if you have been left with a negative perception of the resort.

I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future. Should you wish to share more details with me directly you may reach me at rene.egle@shangri-la.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Just stayed at the Shangrila and it felt like I just spent a weekend at the Holiday Inn. Very mediocre all around and I don't understand how people could rave about it. Room was dated (about 30 years ago) although comfortable and clean. The hotel was uncomfortably packed with hordes of young Korean couples with their noisy kids. It was like a daycare center and certainly not a place to relax. Noise in the hallway until 3 am with babies screaming and mothers scolding. We tried the Tides, Chinese restaurant, and the Italian restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was mediocre at best and pricey. Tiny portions which made it the most expensive Chinese food we've eaten. The same for the Aquoa Italian restaurant. All I can say it was not refined Italian cuisine but a step up from ordinary Chef Boy R Dee stuff. The design of the restaurant you could have mistaken for a cafeteria. Very mediocre. The crowd at breakfast was something to behold: screaming kids and and wall-to-wall people. I just chose to skip breakfast rather than go through that ordeal. The artificial beach was not bad and we were able to take a few dips in the warm sea water however the swimming pool is a disaster, a huge bathtub again full of screaming kids. We expected a quiet relaxing few days but as I have related above, everything was mediocre, crowded and noisy. This was the worst stay in a Shangrila we have experienced and we've been to many!

Room Tip: I would go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arberton

Dear arberton,

Thank you for your feedback and I have taken note of your points especially the room, restaurants and facilities. The issues you have pointed out are of concern to me as they do not reflect the true Shangri-La experience. Trust that I’ll be looking into all the areas that need correction with my team, and I hope you will accept our heartfelt apologies for the disappointment.

If there is anything else you wish to share, please email me directly at rene.egle@shangri-la.com. My team and I hope we will have another chance to truly delight you with an excellent service soon.

With kind regards,