“Sawyer family Philippine vacation”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Beautiful and amazing! We loved this resort. They went above and beyond to accomodate us. There were lots of fun things for the kids to do so mom & dad could have some time for themselves. They even had beach parties for the kids. The pools and the beach was beautiful. The staff was incredibly kind.

Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank LisaS13
Write a ReviewReviews (3,817)

Reviewed 25 February 2010

My family of 5 took a break from frigid Beijing at the Shangri-La Mactan in February. We were not disappointed.

I suppose there is no point going over what everyone expects from a Shangri-La: it's all there. The quality of the overall resort, rooms, food... And the staff is amazingly friendly, as is often the case in the Philippines. So I'll focus on what stood out and what did not...

First of all, activities for kids. This is a very strong point. There are endless things to do for the kids. There is of course the pool and beach, but also all the activities surrounding them (diving, kayaking, etc.). There are also two great playrooms and day activities for kids of all ages - our 3 and 6 year olds were busy all the time.

The spa also stands out. Though expensive (it is the Shangri-La...), everything about it is top-notch: the premises, the staff and the actual treatments. It is a special treat to go there.

On the down side, I would say that the pool and beach tend to be very crowded. If you don't get up at 7AM to plop your towel down on a recliner, you can forget about getting a spot for the rest of the day. This is not something I enjoy doing: I think it is quite rude to reserve your recliner two hours before you intend to use it, but unfortunately you are forced into doing just that or you are left out.

Also, the pools - including the kiddy one - has no spot in the shade. So, you have to smear your children with sun cream and repeat very often, because they will always be swimming in the sun...

Finally, a comment on the beach. Though it looks wonderful, the sand quality is very rough. So rough that I got friction burns on my knees from just kneeling down four or five times to take pictures of my kids! My children also got allergic reactions from it. Now, I suppose it all depends on your skin quality, but we were not very happy with that and ended up not going to the beach much. One should however say that the sand seems different close to the water (within 5 meters): much smoother. So, if your kids stay close to the sea to make sand castles, they should be OK.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay, despite the few items I mentioned. Would we go again? Maybe, maybe not. There are other great resorts in the Philippines and elsewhere in the region, and the fact that this Shangri-La was crowded and that the beach was not suitable for us would make us think twice.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Frédéric B
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Having stayed at this resort over a decade ago and indulging at Chi Spa in 2007 made me want to come back and share the Shangri-La Mactan experience with my partner. From the Shangri-La lounge at the airport to the shuttle to the resort and everything else afterwards, we experienced expert hospitality and professional service. It was quite difficult to leave the resort since the weather and the convenience of all the trappings of a perfect vacation is all within reach. Our de luxe sea view room on the 6th level gave us a great view of the sea, main pool and gardens. With a PhP1,000 daily credit on F&B, it was easy to order away in any of the outlets in the property. After check out, we took the free shuttle to Ayala Center Cebu. During our ride, we realized that we had lost an earring. So after contacting the front desk, they were able to find the earring and return it back once we returned. For a guaranteed resort style vacation, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa has matured beautifully to its advantage of knowing how to take care of its guests and visitors.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robbie_Francisco
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I stayed at the resort for 2 nights on a business conference. The hotel is situated on Lapu-Lapu Island about 40 mins from the city and 15 mins from the airport. It has spacious, landscaped grounds, with a beautiful pool and quality spa. There are a broad range of activities for both young and old. Food and service was excellent and the rooms were typical Shangri-la quality.

There were only a few minor negatives. The beachfront was rather small with imported white sand from Bohol. You may need to walk over some rocks to get out and swim. Surprisingly the resort was rather crowded, most likely due to Chinese New Year and company meetings.

This is an excellent place to holiday with the family and perfect for a business conference.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I could go on for hours about how amazing this hotel is.

We all know that photos on any property’s website are usually deceiving, requiring you to lower the expectation those photos build by at least 50% to remain satisfied when you arrive. The APPT’s location of choice in Cebu, the Shangri-La Mactan Resort, exceeded not only my “reduced” expectations, but the original by a mile, and after six nights staying there it still continued to pleasantly surprise me until the day I checked-out with such particular attention to detail to ensure all guest’s have a perfect holiday.

There’s over 13 acres of land, like a huge playground of beachside tropical gardens to explore. Throughout the grounds are a few huts with massage tables in them – the hole in the table where you put your head and usually look through to the floor, has a bowl of colourful petals floating on water so you’re not staring at a slab of concrete. When you lay on the beach someone comes around with refreshing pieces of pineapple and mango on a stick, and when you’re running on the treadmill the trainer comes around every-so-often to give you an icy-cold towel soaked in subtle lavender.

The resort is swarming, and I mean swarming, with such friendly staff on every corner you turn, all there ready and waiting to greet you with such genuine, delighted smiles on their faces putting everyone in such an uplifted mood. From the concierge, to the cleaner, to the gardeners, to the henna tattoo guy on the beach, to the girl that takes your room service order over the phone… Each person oozes such an appreciation, enjoyment and love for their job.

I couldn't recommend this place highly enough, I have stayed at many hotels in my travels and this has topped anything I've ever seen.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank LynnieG
Reviewed 17 January 2010

It is a very nice hotel. From the time the comlimentary shuttle bus picked us up at Mactan Airport, Cebu to the reception, the rooms are nice and comfy, the pool is superb. Ambiance is great! Good food, private, white sandy beach, excellent spa!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank TEYWEY
Reviewed 6 January 2010

A friend and I decided to do a short girls trip to Cebu, Philippines and we ended up staying at the Shangri-la based on the advice or friends who had previously travelled to Cebu. Overall, it was a very nice experience and I would recommend it to travelers who are willing to spend a little more for a more luxurious vacation experience.

-Spa is fab. My friend and I booked a package the morning of our first full day. With a spa treatment you receive access to the adult only pool area which was nice. No kids running around and you can order wine/food to eat right on your lounge while sunning by the pool. Once we got ourselves to the treatment room they started off by giving us a foot scrub and letting us soak in an outdoor Jacuzzi tub with flower petals, fruit & cold drinks. We also ordered a bottle of Champy just to get our vacay started off on the right foot. The massages were great but I wouldn’t recommend getting a facial or any other technical treatments. Also I HIGHLY recommend setting up your appointment for the morning vs. the evening. The later in the day the more backed up they tend to get and the more frazzled/tired the staff becomes. We scheduled another treatment for around the evening and that experience was a mess!
-Ocean Club is a must. We booked ourselves in an Ocean Wing room with access to the Ocean Club. Having breakfast in a quieter less crazy area, having access to free cold drinks/beer/snacks all day & a place to hang out while we were waiting for our late night flight back home was definitely worth the extra cost. With the Ocean Club you also get access to the adult only pool area in the spa. My friend says the two favorite things of this vacation as the Spa & the Ocean Club!
-Staff is extremely friendly. They went out of their way to be helpful (taping up my poor quart size ziplock for liquids that burst & giving me takeout containers so I could make sandwiches for later during breakfast). I saw many other visitors acting poorly to the staff and taking out random frustrations on them but the staff took their tantrums like pros and never acted unprofessional.
-Beach is swimming friendly. I would get up every morning and take a lazy swim around the protected beach area. The water is clear and beautiful and warm enough to swim in without any issues in October. They offer day old bread to parents with kids so the kids can feed the fish. I was not a fan of this as they tended to swarm around whomever was feeding them, but I could see why the kids would love it.

-General pool & eating areas are really crowded and noisy. I highly recommend splurging on the Ocean Club so you can have somewhere quiet and relaxing to hang out other than your room.
-Restaurants were disappointing. We were disappointed with all the restaurants in the resort. The dishes were not that tasty and seemed over-priced for the quality of what we received. And I’m not particularly price sensitive about vacation dining out.
-Spa in the afternoon or evening is a bad idea. We went a second time but this time scheduled it for the evening before our flight. The whole experience was a disaster. They were 40 mins late getting us for our massage, they put us in separate rooms when we had asked to be given our massages in the same room when we made our reservations, and the masseuses were tired by that point so the massages were sub-par.
-Nightlife seemed non-existent. We aren't big night life folks so that was fine with us, but if you like going out at night then it might be a bit boring for you.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#10 of 44 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!