“Massive Resort where you get what you pay for”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Durban, South Africa
“Massive Resort where you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed on the club level which is well worth the extra expense, even for just experiencing the private dinning level. Although here on business we enjoyed the beach and the beach restaurant, although we found food extremely pricey. To be honest i could not recommend this hotel for a vacation as Mactan Island is tatty and overated. However, considering the choices the hotel is comfortable. The Panoramic room we had was superb with L'Occitane amenities etc. We had a dinner at the nearby Abaca boutique hotel. The food was superb, however I am glad we did not stay here as it has no beach and although beautifully designed the entire property is wedged up against an eight or so story building which overwhelms the site.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Amanvari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
cebu
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I had high expectations. Its Shangri-la, a 5-star hotel.

We stayed there with my 7 and 5 year old children. I was quite irritated by the security staff, when we arrived, she asked me if I was a hotel guest, and again asked if all of us were hotel guests. There was not even a greeting. I find that quite rude. It ruined my vacation.

Another was the waiters bickering at each other. I would have understood these if the rate of the hotel is not expensive. This is an expensive hotel, you pay for everything. I felt I was not staying at a 5 star hotel. Maybe because we are local tourist that we are treated differently from the foreign tourists. I was disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jes2002
UK
Reviewed 3 April 2010

The hotel is as expected from a Shangri-la , organised , well run , good facilities and v . large. We were disappointed with the panoramic view room allocated as part of the view was of a large hole where another building had once stood , but we were moved quickly and without fuss.
The hotel was full - BUT mainly with conference guests which meant easy access during day for pool and other amenities (not sure how good that would be in a peak holiday time) .
Spa as usual excellent , club floor very good and well run by Mr Terence , water sports centre very efficient and well run. Beaches clean and lots of towels at the pool sides.
We had prebooked various things direct by email with hotel and the response was always prompt and with all necessary detail we could wish for.
Food outlets - would recommend the Italian restaurant , Acqua, as the food and service there was some of the best we have ever had in any hotel , Gianluca the executive chef is a star ! Not too happy with the Cowrie Cove - food a bit of a disappointment and piped loud music from a beach party spoiled an otherwise romantic setting , Tea of Spring Asian restaurant was o.k.
Trips to golf courses nearby organised efficiently and with car / drivers ( recommend Alta Vista )
Hotel staff ALL say hello as you pass by and genuine in their willingness to help if you are lost or need assistance .
Why have I rated only very good ? Probably overall the price is on the high side and some of the immediate hotel surrounds are not so pretty ( such as the large hole which is visible from many windows ) and the disappontment of Cowrie Cove .
But saying that we would most likely go again - chosing a quiet time of year , would perhaps like to see the hotel do more to get visitors to see outside of the hotel to give back to the poorer neighbourhoods( we went off on our own to buy things in local shops ) as it is definitely a rarified atmosphere along with the other large hotels in the area .

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BellaMBJ
Tokyo
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The grounds were beautiful, the decor very nice and the food was very good. There was a nice dive shop with a lot of available activities. But overall I feel let down. For example, although kids eat free in the buffets, the lunch buffet for adults is VERY expensive. It is much more economical to pay for every ones' meals a la carte, (hint: adults should order from the kids menu as the portions are large enough for adults). The staff were really nice, with big huge smiles, but honestly sometimes, especially in the restaurants, I felt overlooked because staff were chatting with each other. The only time they were really attentive, I noticed that the food & beverage manager was there supervising. I had a manicure in the salon, and the instruments used for the manicure were crappy (like a really old nail file!), the nail polish obviously really old (kind of like going to a manicure shop in a run-down strip mall). The kids club had a great indoor playground with slides and so on, but the problem is one of my 5 year old daughters didnt like it so much, and for the kids club (that you have to pay for on an hourly basis) has an hour of a semi-structured activity (some outside, but not all), then an hour in-doors in the playground, so an hour on, and hour off, so if your kids dont want to play in an inside playground for half the day, the club is pretty disappointing. Also, the equipment in the indoor playground looks sort of precarious (but really fun), and I felt the ratio of guardians to children was not low enough. Another instance of feeling nickle and dimed, as others have commented here, is the hotel resisted calling a taxi for us, saying they could not guarantee the safety of the taxi. Instead they urged us to take their pretty hefty $15 car to the airport which is only 10 minutes away. This is simply bad PR for the Philippines - the Shangri-la should at least develop a relationship with a reputable taxi company that they can develop confidence in - this leaves an unsavory taste in my mouth and makes me question if vacationing in the Philippines is safe if the hotel can not trust local taxi companies. This is not the sort of PR the Philippines needs. Instances of feeling sucked dry: on the snorkle-trip, the boat captain pulled out tacky wares and tried to sell them to us, the massuese tried to sell me her oils and bathrobes at the end of the massage, the taxi, the "free" kids buffet and more. The zinger of my trip was that my masseuse at the the Chi Spa told me of her unfortunate personal family situation where she has to take care of her nephew as her sisters' new husband does not want to care for her child conceived with another man - when I asked why the new husband would do such an awful thing, she said, "because her new husband is Jewish". This sort of comment was the opposite of relaxing, but rather quite infuriating. In sum, if this hotel was a little less expensive I could overlook these issues (except, of course, I could never overlook the anti semitic remark), but its not, and not what I expected.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Shangri-la being a hotel above the rest, the service was exceptional, the facilities absolutely wonderful. With its location being quite remote from the center of Cebu city, the place provides a relaxing experience for one who needs it. It is a beach front hotel resort which boasts of its huge pools, thematic restos and functionally beautiful hotel rooms.

Breakfast buffet is enormous but at times crowded, and the room service is prompt. The chi spa provides massage indulgence and a nice discovery is the tea pavillion within which serves tasty yet healthy menu options.

Shuttle service is available for a reasonable fee, in case you opt to go to the mall for some shopping.

For a relaxing night, you may linger at the hotel lobby with a glass of beer for some night of music with their band for the evening.

Love this hotel, a real gem, our newfound favorite!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maiel
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Beautiful and amazing! We loved this resort. They went above and beyond to accomodate us. There were lots of fun things for the kids to do so mom & dad could have some time for themselves. They even had beach parties for the kids. The pools and the beach was beautiful. The staff was incredibly kind.

Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank LisaS13
Beijing, China
Reviewed 25 February 2010

My family of 5 took a break from frigid Beijing at the Shangri-La Mactan in February. We were not disappointed.

I suppose there is no point going over what everyone expects from a Shangri-La: it's all there. The quality of the overall resort, rooms, food... And the staff is amazingly friendly, as is often the case in the Philippines. So I'll focus on what stood out and what did not...

First of all, activities for kids. This is a very strong point. There are endless things to do for the kids. There is of course the pool and beach, but also all the activities surrounding them (diving, kayaking, etc.). There are also two great playrooms and day activities for kids of all ages - our 3 and 6 year olds were busy all the time.

The spa also stands out. Though expensive (it is the Shangri-La...), everything about it is top-notch: the premises, the staff and the actual treatments. It is a special treat to go there.

On the down side, I would say that the pool and beach tend to be very crowded. If you don't get up at 7AM to plop your towel down on a recliner, you can forget about getting a spot for the rest of the day. This is not something I enjoy doing: I think it is quite rude to reserve your recliner two hours before you intend to use it, but unfortunately you are forced into doing just that or you are left out.

Also, the pools - including the kiddy one - has no spot in the shade. So, you have to smear your children with sun cream and repeat very often, because they will always be swimming in the sun...

Finally, a comment on the beach. Though it looks wonderful, the sand quality is very rough. So rough that I got friction burns on my knees from just kneeling down four or five times to take pictures of my kids! My children also got allergic reactions from it. Now, I suppose it all depends on your skin quality, but we were not very happy with that and ended up not going to the beach much. One should however say that the sand seems different close to the water (within 5 meters): much smoother. So, if your kids stay close to the sea to make sand castles, they should be OK.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay, despite the few items I mentioned. Would we go again? Maybe, maybe not. There are other great resorts in the Philippines and elsewhere in the region, and the fact that this Shangri-La was crowded and that the beach was not suitable for us would make us think twice.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!