“Wonderful Beach Resort”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 11 May 2010

This was such a great Beach Resort experience. We were blown away when first walking into the open air lobby, it was beautiful and had great views of the pools and ocean. Both stays we had ocean view rooms with balcony. Property is kept up very well. Spent endless days on the private beach and poolside, no need to get up for anything since the bar and food service comes right up to you. Great restaurant choices and great food. Service was excellent at the hotel. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank lws2001
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Reviewed 11 May 2010

Cebu is a beautiful spot, and if you plan to get away from the hotel to make the most of water sports and diving then this is probably as good a place as any. But for a 5 Star hotel I found it sincerely lacking in quality. Perhaps the rooms in tne new wing are better, but outside of that I'm being generous when I say they're VERY ordinary. They're small, cheaply decorated, and offer nothing I can't get in a good 3 Star hotel.

There was construction going on above our heads which we were never informed about. Our garden view mysteriously morphed into a fabulous view of the car park, there were several power cuts, and simple things like shower nozzles sprayed water everywhere.

There were some nice touches such as free breakfast for kids, but the prices for EVERYTHING are outrageous, not only for the Philippines but compared to anywhere else in Asia.

On the plus side, there's a nice kids club (again, charged for), the staff are exceptionally friendly, and the weather is superb. But overall I couldn't help feeling like I was getting 3 Star value for 5 Star prices. Unfortunately, in this area the alternatives are limited.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Rupricht
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I have very fond memories of this place - it was a great little family vacation. Our baby couldn't really take advantage of all the great-looking kiddie facilities, but must be great for families with slightly older children. The spa was amazing - each treatment room was its own villa. The food at the restaurants was alright and the grounds were nicely landscaped. One of the nicest surprises was the beach, which was just beautiful, with some coral and little fish to see. It was great for snorkling.

The only thing I'd criticize about the hotel is the architecture - a lot of Shangri-la hotels have the same, big block architecture which I find kind of generic and boring. There are lot sof big empty walkways, both indoors and outdoors. That said, they made up for it with some nice landscaping. The pasta at the Italian restaurant was also pretty bad - I'd recommend going for the pizza. But the view, setting and friendly service more than made up for it.

All in all a very relaxing and pleasant stay at a beautiful resort!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank esheng
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I stayed in the Shangri-la Mactan back in April 2009 (i've procrastinated over writing this review for long enough, haha)

Me and my wife stayed here on our honeymoon after we got married in Iloilo a few days previous. I had done the booking through email and was dealling with a girl named Maricar in the reservations who I could not fault. She always replied promtply and answered all my questions. Because it was our honeymoon we ended up going for the room upgrade to an Ocean Club room in the Ocean Wing and added on transfers between airport and hotel return also. We also added on a couples spa treatment for ourselves (again it was our honeymoon so we wanted to treat ourselves).

When we arrived at Cebu airport and got to the baggage claim there was a hotel rep there alreday waiting for us so no problem finding him or our transfer. When we had our bags he took us outside and a hotel car pulled up beside side, no waiting. Both the rep and driver had good english and very friendly.

The drive from the airport to the hotel was short, 15-20mins, perhaps it might have been cheaper to just get a taxi at the airport (although comparing the cost of the hotel pick-up to taxis back in Ireland I still felt like I was saving money anyway).

Check-in went smoothly, we arrived at reception around 10am, hotel staff took our bags and we were taken imediately up to our room and did the check-in privately in our room, this is cause we were in the Ocean Club, and our bags arrived a few mins later.

The room was really nice, big king bed, very comfortable, nice and spacious and clean with a little sofa, table with fruit and another desk with stationary in the drawers (for the business traveller), TV wasn't a flat screen so a bit old maybe, to stay more modern they might consider upgrading those, but not a deal breaker. Bathroom was smaller than expected, not tiny small, there was still lots of space, just having been in two previous shangri-la's in Muscat & Abu Dhabi which both had large bothrooms with walk-in showers and seperate bath I was expecting the same here, but there was no walk-in shower. Wasn't a big deal to us and certainly didn't effect our stay but thought it best to mention as I know some people reading this might like to know what's there. All amienties you'd expect from a 5 star were there also so no worries if you forgot your own toothbrush or toiletries.

I should also mention that the view we had from the balconey of our room was fantasitic, full seaview.

Hotel staff were all friendly, room cleaning staff even greeted us by name on our first meeting without introduction when we passed them on the way to the elevator from our room. Either they quickly learn whose in which room or maybe they had extra heads up cause we were on Honeymoon?

Hotel grounds were huge, get a good walk in going round the place. two swimming pools both really nice. One of which was an infinity pool in front of the beach. Hotel has it's own private beach, not the biggest of beach, but it was nice and lots of fish just swimming around. I got a snorkle set and just floated in the water looking at all the different fish swimming past. The gym had a nice selection of equipment if you're looking to work out. There is a games room with a small arcade and pool tables aswell as free internet stations. Aswell as may other activities. The spa treatment we had was well worth it, very relaxing and the spa area has it's own private pool too. After treatment your also given a fruit platter and juices to help further cleanse the body.

We ate our first dinner at the Tea of Spring chinese restaurant which was nice... only thing though was there was no duck on the menu which I found odd for a chinese restaurant (and it's my favourite), but I had chicken instead which was still very good. 2nd night we had a buffet dinner at the Buko Bar which also had a cultural show on that night. You have to reserve a table to get a good view of the stage, we didn't as we were out in the city that day and weren't sure if we'd be back in time but we were. Even though I didn't reserve a table once I gave our room number we were given a table right in front of the stage... not sure if it was cause of the Ocean Club room...or maybe the honeymoon but it was really good either way. 3rd night we just took advantage of our Ocean Club status and ate in the Club Lounge free snacks and cakes for our dinner haha.

Being in the Ocean Club also gives you free drinks in the Ocean club lounge. This was good though I do think they should at least extend this to include at least one free drink with your dinner at any of the restaurants as you'll likely end up paying more for drinks than the food. Overall that is really the biggest bad thing I could say about the hotel...and the reason I marked "Value" down. You also get free use of non-motorised water equipment at the beach which is certainly handy.

For breakfast there's a few choices of restuarants I recommend the Acqua we had the best breakfasts there, even if you're in the Ocean Club with the private breakfast buffet in the Club Lounge, selection there is small compared to Acqua, lots of choice and great cooking.

While the hotel is a good 40mins from the centre of the city it still makes a good base if you're planning on going into the city for a tour. While there are other hotels nearby once you're in the grounds of the Shangri-la you wouldn't know it.

We really enjoyed our stay at Shangri-La Cebu and would certainly return if we go back to Cebu. Please check out attached pictures and you can also see some video of the hotel on my youtube account at MokongX3M under the "Holiday 2009" playlist.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mokong
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Perfect for family vacation.. We booked two adjoining rooms because I had my 3 kids with me, ages 10, 6 and 10 months.. we even brought with us our nanny. The place had everything we needed.. beach, water sports activities, pool, indoor games for the kids, and a variety of restaurants. The hotel staff were pleasant and accommodating. They even helped us in traveling to and from the hotel and around Cebu island. Highly recommended to all who plans to go to Cebu with their family.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank collyscoffee
Reviewed 14 April 2010

This hotel is amazing. I travelled with my 3 year old son and I have to say that this hotel is perfect for parents with young children.
Lots of Pros:
-2 playrooms
-1 Ezone (my son had to visit this gamesroom everyday)
-Pools - with slide, waterguns, infinity
-Beach with marine sanctuary - fish feeding everyday and the fish come up to you in knee length water!
- We stayed in the Panorama suite - and the view was phenomenol
- No bugs!
- Kids menu
- Great service - the staff literally double checked on every request that we made.
- Lots of activities on the beach - parasailing, sea walking, snorkeling, jet skiing etc.
- 20 minutes from the airport
- Hotel Shuttle to town malls
- Large hotel - so even when at full capacity, you don't feel it.
- Free Internet in the rooms

Few Cons:
- Food - Very average. We only enjoyed the Italian restaurant.
- Pricey
- They have "free" activities at the beach daily - which they don't advertise - you have to get the info yourself and in particular we noted that the staff at the beach were really reluctant to tell you about the activities. For example, if they have a snorkeling tour at 2.00 - you get free snorkelling gear, but if you show up at 2.05 (not knowing about the tour) the staff charge you for the equipment without letting you guests know they can join in.
Overall very nice relaxing trip. Great for families with young children. Lots of facilities, so we really didn't need to go anywhere else during our stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank yahooHk
Reviewed 11 April 2010

my wife and I are currently staying at the Shangrila on a Friday-Monday weekend get-away. They are very polite, but I feel somewhat ill-trained from a professional ,management point of view. The beach has good physical attributes, but the management was poor:

1. beach staff runs it like a public beach, many cases of crowding
2. loud noises from MP3 players
3. kids running around out of control affecting the people under the huts trying to rest
4. many non-guests sneaked into the "private beach" making it more crowded than a public beach
5. quality of beach goers are sub par, many incidents of petty theft

Our experience

1. we sat down in two beach chairs, and then a local group of over 10 people took the lone chair next to us and started to crowd next to us
2. they proceeded to turn up their music
3. their cell phones started to ring and hours of talking

We were in the same spot for two days in a row and other local families have come and befriended us, but when such a large group congregate and crowd an area, the staff should have proactively helped them find a more suitable area.

I would not have complained if I were at a 3-star hotel or a public beach, but Shangrila cannot let this kind of incidents happen to hotel guests without any on-site management.

Further more, the security is lax, so I feel the root cause is that they let too many guests bring in local friends and families who may not be staying at the property. This really begs the question - why stay at a private beach when it is open to public?

if you would like some quiet, relaxing, and respected experience, AVOID this property. There is something wrong with the general management from the room crowding (too many people - i have seen more than 6 in a room!) to beach management (too many people).

I don't personally have a particularly high standard - I am an expat from San Francisco who has been living in Shanghai (home of 20M people) for the last five years, and i have a high tolerance for crowding!

Good luck, and hope you have a better time in the Philippines!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!