“The Perfect Choice For A Wedding!!!”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Melbourne, Australia
“The Perfect Choice For A Wedding!!!”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

*** Must Read if looking for a Wedding Venue in Cebu***
We visited Cebu in June 2009 looking for a wedding venue for our big day in June 2010. There was no doubt that Shangri La Mactan was the best choice and no resort even came close! The resort is breathtakingly beautiful, a tropical paradise. Manicured gardens welcome you to the main building. It shows the Shang are proud of their establishment.
We set up an appointment with Coleen Rosario, the Events Manager. From the very beginning, she was very accommodating, pleasant to deal with and genuinely helpful. Our luggage got lost from Melbourne to Manila and with Coleen's help, they found our luggage and got it delivered to the Shangri La later that night even though we weren't staying there.
Coleen gave us a tour of the Ocean Pavilion and straight away we fell in love! We didn't even bother with seeing the other resorts, we were already sold on the the Shangri La.
We kept in touch over email and Coleen made the whole planning process a stressfree and pleasant experience. She was always so efficient with her replies and I really loved her can do attitude!
1 year later, we found ourselves checking in to the resort 1 week before the big day to finalise all the details for the wedding. For the 3nights of the weekend before the wedding, we were ecstatic to learn Coleen had upgraded us to an Executive Suite in the Main building. It was such a nice start to our holiday!
The room was huge with a king bed and separate lounge room. The bathroom had a bathtub and separate bathroom with L'Occitane products.
Next day we ventured around the resort. We were greeted by everyone from housekeeping, to grounds staff, to the gardeners. We felt to welcome and were treated like VIPs.
The facilities are amazing and so well maintained. We had breakfast at Aqua which is in the Ocean Wing and less busy than Tides in the Main building. The buffet breakfast was the best we've had! A good selection of western and filipino breakfast, plus some japanese/asian selections and lots of fruits and pastries/muffins.
The smaller pool near the Ocean Wing overlooks the beachfront and is great for those wanting a bit of privacy away from the families in the main pool. The beach was beautiful with plenty of sun lounges, fine powedery sand, clear blue water and plenty of fish swimming close to the shore. Snorkeling was inexpensive, about P300 for gear hire as long as you want which was worth it because there was an awesome array of fish in the water.
My husband is a kid at heart so the games room was his retreat with plenty of games (pinball machines, table hockey & billiards) and separate Timezone area with arcade games. I didn't mind because there were plenty of computers for me to use with free internet access, perfect for keeping in touch with family and friends coming to the wedding.
Our Chi Spa was unforgettable! From the outside, the Chi Spa looks small but it's actually heaven on earth over 10 hectares! There are 7 couples villas and 8 singles villas where you can get pampered and escape the daily grind! We had a 2hr package with foot bath, full body scrub, soak in outdoor bath & full body massage. A truly luxurious and relaxing experience.
The next weekend we stayed 2nights in a Panorama Suite in the Ocean Wing which is part of the wedding package. It was massive! Almost double the size of the Executive Suite with entrance foyer, separate living/dining area, huge bathroom and roomy balcony with picture perfect sea views! It was the perfect place to get ready for the big day with enough room for the make up artist, hair stylist, wedding coordinator, photographers, videographers, plus all their assistants and 3 bridesmaids and 2 mothers!
The Ocean Pavilion was like a dream and the Mactan Ballroom was enchanting. My guests are still talking about the wedding and how perfect everything was, down to the atmosphere, the beauty of the Shang and the delicious buffet dinner. Some say it's the best buffet dinner they've had! And there was plenty of left over food!
We provided accommodation at The Shangri La for all our guests from Australia, USA, Dumaguete, Bacolod and Manila. Everyone enjoyed the whole experience from the wedding, to the resort facilities, the accommodation and the breakfasts and airport transfers.
It was the perfect wedding, it exceeded all our expectations! It is one of the more expensive options in Cebu, but if you want the best, you can rest assure that the Shang will deliver because they only do things with 110% effort which definitely makes it all worth it! One you and your guests will never forget!
Thanks to Coleen Rosario she made our dreams come true and we can't wait to come back on our anniversary next year.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SamDownUnder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed 3 nights at Shangri La Cebu. Took a taxi from airport to hotel and it cost less than php200. Make sure you have some changes because everytime taxi driver will use it as an excuse to charge u a bit more. It took about 20mins from airport to hotel, and when we arrive, we know we pick the right choice. Hotel itself is not new I believe, but everything is kept properly and Shangri La staff are always great.

We stay in the main wing seaview room, probably would be better if you can afford an Ocean wing seaview room as it's new compare to main wing.

Hotel itself has a beach while you can do snorkelling or some water sports as well. We had our own snorkelling set but we saw that it can be rent at php150 while life jacket is free. Snorkelling at the hotel beach is fun as it's a preserved area, varies kind of fish is there and you can feed them with bread provided by the hotel. However the sand quality is not good, quite rough with some rock near the coast, you have to be very careful not to cut your feet.

Dining in Shargri La Cebu is not a pricy option. However, food quality is not a "wow" for me. There's several restaurant inside the hotel. We had our diner 1 night at Cowrie Cove table 54 and 1 night at the Italian restaurant. Table 54 is fantastic for the atmosphere and food is ok, would be better if they can provide more choice of food in menu for that special table though. Need to reserve for it in advance. The italian restaurant near the pool is a bit disappointed for me, the cabonara is almost tastless....I cannot finish half of the dish....
the Beach bar and room service is good, although we simply tried some burgers/sandwiches/pasta.

Excursion trip inside the hotel is much more expensive.We tried to book our boat trip at the shop just outside the hotel. Beware while you dealing with the boat owner. We was told that we can hire the boat at a price, and all things included. However, during the boat trip they keep asking for extra, for example, saying that some area is restricted for snorkelling and island need to pay entrance fee, etc.

Overall the hotel is great, probably the best in lapulapu city. Simply enjoy a few days there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GaryHung
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Lovely resort, stay 2 nights during off peak season, not too busy in the hotel. We got upgrade to the Executive Suites which has an extra area for 2 sunbeds but air con bit noisy. Food is very nice, we order room service and a la carte in Tides, Super and staffs offer us some complimentary dessert and fruit salad. Cowrie Cove- bar and Italian restaurant by the sea side, got the most romantic view, highly recommend for family, couple, honeymoon and wedding. Staffs very helpful, especially on the beach. Can't miss the Chi Spa for sure. Hotel has a shuttle bus service to 2 shopping malls but take a while coz traffic pretty bad in the city. Don't worry you can't get bored in the hotel, watersport, game's room for kids and adult.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank allychong
Hong kong
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I stayed there from the 16 june- 21 june to spoil ourself for our birthday treat.
After reading all the positive review I was really looking forward to a good relaxing 5 star service however greatly disapointed.

From the moment I checked in their reception desk till I left they have no internal communication or update clients and request. On the bill they charged me things I told them was included in my stay and chargeing me things I never used.

The room was run down due to time (17 years) needs a new uplift and TV not plasma.
That was ok but the most disapointing is the airconditioner and bathtub leaked water every time I took a shower or turned on the airconditioner. I called their reception desk to fix it. They send the staff on the first night however the second night and so on my complains went to deaf years.
Suprising waking up ever ymorning and always having to clean the pool of water on the flooor due to the airconditioner was on all night or taking a shower and the floor is wet even you place a towel on the floor. Next I found people were smoking on my non smoking floor.

The most disapointment or let down was when I decided to eat the seafood buffet on the night of my friends birthday. Mega disapontment we all had to leave and pay the bill with in 30 minuites after we enter the restaurant. We all had food poisioning after eating a few of the sea food and we had a very busy night. We were up all night to use the toilet lucky we brought our own meds because called the recption desk but no reply again. (maybe there was no staff at the reception/ operator during the night time that's the reason I can only say if there was someone there then I'm even disapointed in their service). Yes I agree food (breakfast/ lunch/ room service) tried all both service and food quality was so so (basic) not worth 5 star price.

The good thing I would say its good if you have kids they have a good babysitting service or play area. The spa Chi was good better then Mandarin or Marriott Hotel spa service. Staff all polite and smile however I never got what I asked for. Me and my friends can only say either they don't speak english or don't want to serve us (discrimination). However I give them the benefit and say they don't understand english.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank bebeandjimmy
california
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed for four nights from May 10-14, 2010.

After much anticipation I finally made it to this resort and it did not fail to satisfy my desires. From the moment you arrive they treat like royalty with a welcome drink from a lobby greeter . You will know that you have arrived in a different place. The friendly front desk staff gets your stay off to a great start. Throughout the stay the staff was first class and tended to all me needs with a smile.

Stayed in a Premier Sea View room which was so nice and comfortable. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. You could sit there all day and never get tired of it. The bed was very comfortable and had the best sleep in a long time there.

The beach was great and since the hotel was slow there was always plenty of places to lounge and relax. All over the property there really nice places to sit and enjoy the view..esp the hammocks.There are plenty of activities to do and we chose snorkeling. I am still amazed how clear the water was and how many different kinds of fish you can see just a few steps from the shore. We also played golf on the small course which was really nice to get some practice The two pools were incredible also. Bigger than they look in the photos and lots of places to lay in the sun

One thing I did notice is that I couldn't walk more than a few feet and see a new photo opportunity. Around every corner there was another beautiful view.

The breakfast buffets were amazing. Made to order omlettes and the best mangoes I have ever had. You could also get really good sushi..

Cowrie Cove is a great spot to unwind at night after a long day of swimming and laying on the beach

The gym was really great also and had top notch equipment.

The best hotel I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SMC514
Port Moresby,PNG
Reviewed 15 June 2010

This beautiful Resort is a testament to the ShangriLa name! My family and I thoroughly enjoyed the service especially at the beach and poolside. The Ocean wing and Club Lounge staff were always courteous and helpful. The Adventure zone was just perfect for my 2 sons! and again the staff were very caring and entertaining! I'd especially like to mention the Ocean Club Lounge Manager who managed to salvage our flight plans and the rest of our holidays! Thank you so much!
This Resort is perfect for families travelling with young children and for Adults looking for a relaxing sun soaked trip! Anything you could ever want is fully represented here!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Paulinepng
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Great place, very relaxing... food are excellent....

Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!