Eloisa Royal Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$55
Priceline
US$56
US$27
Agoda.com
Dee Guesthouse(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$19
US$17
Priceline
Haruhay Dream Resort(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$30
  • Pool
AlGabe Serviced Apartments(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$31
US$22
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$93
US$75
Dulcinea Hotel and Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$105
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$106
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
3,937 results
All reviewsocean wingcowrie covechi spaadventure zonetides restaurantocean club loungebuko barfish foodmarine sanctuarychinese restaurantmini golftropical fishfish feedingprivate beachbreakfast buffetwhite sand beachhong kong
Reviewed 20 April 2007

Me and my wife went to the hotel over the Easter weekend to eat dinner. After being wanded and having our bags searched by security the receptionist at the front door asked us if we were checking in. We informed her that we were just there to have a lovely dinner. She smiled and welcomed us in.

We then proceded to the outdoor restraunt and ordered some food. The waiter returned and we were told we could not eat at the restraunt because we didn't have a room there. Surprised and confused I asked the waiter if he was sure about this. He said he would go speak to his manager. He returned with his supervisor who told us that hotel facilities are for guests only and that we had to leave the hotel.

I would like to stress that the waiter and his supervisor were very polite. They didn't look very comfortable telling me and my wife about the hotel's policy.

My wife and I were quite offended and so I am writing this to inform everyone about the Hotel's policy of inviting in hungry tourists so that they can kick them out.

I can't comment on value or quality because they wouldn't let me buy anything. However it's clear that they make so much money they don't care anyway.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
15  Thank hungrymann
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Stayed here April 14-16, 2007. Check-in was a breeze, they got us in our rooms quite fast and fixed the extra bed (which is actually just the sofa bed) right away. We paid approximately $40 for the extra person per night which turned out to be a steal considering it includes the buffet breakfast which is about $25 per person if you were to pay for it separately. We got a king-sized bed which was so comfy, the bathroom was roomy, and the balcony was a perfect place to hang out if you wanted a quick escape to your very cold hotel room after simmering in the scorching hot summer weather. We got a bayview room which also includes a view of the parking lot and lots of trees and barely, just barely, a vew of... the bay! (It doesn't deserve to be called a bayview room) Ask for the garden view room instead, it's in the newer wing and it's closer to the pool and the beach. Checked out Chi Spa and quickly decided that it really is too expensive for us locals especially when we get spectacular massages in the city for just a tiny fraction of Chi's unbelievable prices. We lounged around at the beach with my 2 year old daughter keeping herself busy playing with the white sand. The sand just isn't as fine as I though it would be, there are a lot of sharp objects like shells and small corals so wearing flip flops at the beach will protect your feet better. We decided to have dinner at Cowrie Cove which turned out to be a big mistake. Selection was limited, servngs too small yet too pricey, and it took forever to come out. You would think that everything would taste great after we were almost starving by the time the food was served but it was just okay. Well maybe more than ok but really not worth what we paid for it.

Breakfast is served in 2 venues and we chose Acqua since we heard there were less people having breakfast there. There were a lot of choices but one can really just eat so much. Although finding out about the price of the buffet, it really isn't worth $25. We took some bread with us to feed the fish which is probably one of the most exciting parts of our stay. You can go to the beach and feed the fishes! Hold on to the bread and you can feel them getting bites from it. It's awesome! There are a lot of activities to choose from, very pricey ofcourse so be prepared to spend, spend, spend. We were content to lounge around the numerous lounge chairs scattered around the beach and just stare out into the clear blue water. After a quick lunch at Tides which was once again just ok we decided to head back to the beach and try some snorkeling. It was low tide by the time we got back but head out to deeper water and you will be rewarded with the sight of corals and fishes. After our disappointing experiences with the food outlets we decided to head into the city to have dinner instead. It's quite a drive heading into the city but there are better choices of restaurants there.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and wish that we could stay longer. Life really IS a beach!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank bbeinstein
Reviewed 9 April 2007

First of all we love sating at the Shang compare to other hotels, we have stayed at island shang HK, Taipei, Singapore , Edsa, Makati and Cebu. So far all places were well maintain clean and has a courteous staff, With Island Shang, being the best of them all.

My review starts with the plus points of Mactan Shang,

We were here three years ago and the place has improved a lot, the restaurants were all newly renovated. ok Fine
The ground are clean and well maintained as ever, so taking a stroll in the early mornings and evenings will be delightful.
The pool is not really over crowded even at 100% occupancy this holy week
The beach was even better with far less people, We never really had a problem since me and my kids are early risers.
The room was clean when we arrived,
The service was not bad since we are golden circle member, no need for long lines during check in.\

The minus points,
The food in all outlet are really poor especially after seeing the bill. The buffet was more expensive the Edsa or Makati Shang,
The quality was even worse,
Paying 1500 ++ is ok as long as you get quality food that you usually get from other Shang hotel, Ex will be Paparazzi at edsa where you get Sea Bass, lamp , prime rib etc, At Mactan You get roast chicken, and roast pig for the same price.
The Chinese restaurants was the same ,serving was too small that a 5 yr child can consume an order of chicken that was supposed to be for two.
The cowrie grill was the worst, The seafood buffet was the worst, The crab were small and hollow with little meat, the beef was hard as a rock, the fish were not fresh and overcooked, the sashimi was sliced so thing that it looked like it was a cross bet sashimi and carpaccio, cost cutting maybe?, The coconut crab was overdone and also not fresh, At what pissed a lot of people was, it took the a along time to refill the trays,
The only good food service outlet was acqua, food was good and quality was ok.

Whenever we see the chinese and head chef walking around, We tell ourselves these are the reason we are not really enjoying ourselves, When we go on a vacation we view food as an integral
part of our experience, sad to say they disappointed us on the aspect. Which the place had a more convenient location. That's also a problem place was so secluded you need to use the hotel to get anywhere.

Any My kids love the place , just hope they will improve the food service outlets,

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank pinoytraveller1
Reviewed 4 April 2007

Lets get this straight, if you are on a budget don't bother checking out Shangri-la Mactan. For a 2 nights stay (for a local resident) I spent almost 600 dollars. Of course I got moved to the Ocean Wing, which is like the premier wing of the hotel, no its not anything like the Valley Wing. Staying at the Shangri-la requires you that you come in style...never take coach, chances are when you come in you would see those orange/white/blue tags on bags that says "PRIORITY"...so your bags would be terribly out of place if you don't have it.

Next is the rooms, I heard the main wing still looks the same, my last trip to the hotel was about a year ago, so I'm not sure how extensive their renovation efforts were for the ASEAN summit last January, but the Ocean Wing rooms look good. Unfortunately I was not able to get any Ocean view since I was given a garden view but I'm not complaining. The beds were soft and comfy, I stayed at the Marriot in Cebu last month and their linens were already rough due to age and constant washing.

Aqua, is the hotel outlet at the ground floor of the Ocean Wing, which also serves breakfast, on the main wing you have their main outlet Tides. anyway since you have a view of the ocean with an infinity pool, having breakfast at Aqua is always a nice experience.

I had a very nice lunch at the hotel's Chinese outlet, Tea of Spring and was impressed by variety of teas they offer, I was able to try about 5 out of the 50 different varieties of tea they had during my stay.

Over all its an amazing stay and its something I'd do about once or twice a year...thats if I don't go broke. hahahaha.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank Kesler G
Reviewed 1 April 2007

Booked this hotel via the shangri-la website. They boast that their official site has the cheapest rates you can find anywhere online and challenge you to find a legitimate cheaper offer. Well I found one (they already took it down after I brought it up, sorry guys) and Shanri-la matched the lower price AND gave me 10% off on top of that for doing their work for them. Sweet. So I booked a Suite which ended up costing the price of room. The rooms and the buildings, by the way, are quite nice but not screaming "decadence" as those in Shangri-la Makati nor EDSA (both located in Manila).

The resort is a luxury hotel so you WILL get luxury. Outstanding, well-maintained facilities(restos, gym, kiddie grounds, pool, beach[snorkelling!!!], landscaping etc..) They have facilities for every business requirement that you might need and will even bend a few rules for you whenever you need anyhting to that effect. Their main customers are on-leave businessmen (japanese, koreans mostly.. saw LOADS of em) so they'd better provide.

They have a pickup mini-bus system to-from the Aiport as well as certain major locations within Cebu City for tourists. It has regular schedules throughout the day for you with the itchy feet. We did rent a car and driver to tour us around... but trust me, Cebu City is not that pretty anymore. You'll find some good spots so feel free to do as we did and hire a car.. just dont expect to be wowed. DO buy some lechon though and take it back to your room.

Their buffet breakfast is first rate with something for every taste, vegetarians, cereals, pastries, asian food, you name it they cook it. For the rest of the day's meals you might want to try the other restos in the hotel. Cowry Cove, for one, has good seafood.

Shang Mactan reportedly has a top notch Oriental Spa but we didnt try it. Anyway its a separate building complex located within the resort grounds.

Tipping is not a city in China. Their staff are very helpful but, as in most hotels, they are only courteous professinally.. if you are looking for that warm filipino hospitality, look at smaller resorts. (see davao pearl farm and the like)

Gripes:
On check-in(1PM) they made us wait for 1 hour in their lounge. Peak season and all.. they did give us a free drink at their lounge bar..

Expensive. Dont come here if you're not prepared to spend as you might not enjoy it.

Bottom line: Do not be fooled, this is not "The Greatest..", "The ultimate.." or "The Best.." anything. But it is a very nice luxury hotel.resort with the proper amenities and services. If you're going to Cebu/Mactan with some cash then by all means book here. You will enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business