My family had recently stayed at the Shangri-La Mactan and booked 4 rooms under the Ocean Club package. It gave us an all-day access at the lounge which was great and the staff there was top-notch. My only complaint here was that the website listed "check-out as late as 6pm" as an Ocean Club benefit. When I checked in, I was told this was subject to availability. Note to hotel: You might want to put a note on that benefit so as not to mislead people.
The grounds were sprawling. The staff were generally nice. The rooms were like any other Shangri-La - clean and quite nice really. I loved the Adventure Zone for kids and the staff there couldn't have been nicer. As for our room, I had problems with the flusher and the heater took a long time to kick in. My biggest problem was that being in the Ocean Wing, we had the "privilege" of being under the Ocean Club lounge which meant we would hear foosteps as early as 6am from upstairs. My sister stayed in the next room and apparently they heard footsteps until late at night.
The beach was something else. It's a marine sanctuary so you could see fish all over the place and even feed them. However, the sand was quite rocky and the water was not that clean. The sand bothered me a lot and turned me off from going to the beach. It's like someone just crushed pebbles, spread them around and pretended they're sand. They were quite painful.
When I checked out, the staff inquired about my stay and I told him of my complaints. The reception manager called me only to say (in so many words) that it was my problem because I never complained the whole time during my stay. (I take care of 2 kids and have no time to complain. In fact, I wouldn't have if I had not been asked during check-out). She eventually toned down her attitude when I made sure she knew that I did not appreciate her attitude. Prior to my stay, I was also given some bad attitude by a reservation officer when I had phoned in to inquire about my reservations. Note to Shangri-La: your hotel staff couldn't have been more wonderful but some of your reservation and reception officers need lessons in dealing with guests. This is after all a service industry and I would have expected more courtesy.
One final note on Cowrie Cove. It's highway robbery! We went to Phuket earlier in the year and for half the price, you can get real mega-sized lobsters rather than crayfish! Acqua was quite reasonable but don't bother with the pizza.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island