“Not great but some staff gave plenty of attitude”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore, Singapore
“Not great but some staff gave plenty of attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2007

My family had recently stayed at the Shangri-La Mactan and booked 4 rooms under the Ocean Club package. It gave us an all-day access at the lounge which was great and the staff there was top-notch. My only complaint here was that the website listed "check-out as late as 6pm" as an Ocean Club benefit. When I checked in, I was told this was subject to availability. Note to hotel: You might want to put a note on that benefit so as not to mislead people.

The grounds were sprawling. The staff were generally nice. The rooms were like any other Shangri-La - clean and quite nice really. I loved the Adventure Zone for kids and the staff there couldn't have been nicer. As for our room, I had problems with the flusher and the heater took a long time to kick in. My biggest problem was that being in the Ocean Wing, we had the "privilege" of being under the Ocean Club lounge which meant we would hear foosteps as early as 6am from upstairs. My sister stayed in the next room and apparently they heard footsteps until late at night.

The beach was something else. It's a marine sanctuary so you could see fish all over the place and even feed them. However, the sand was quite rocky and the water was not that clean. The sand bothered me a lot and turned me off from going to the beach. It's like someone just crushed pebbles, spread them around and pretended they're sand. They were quite painful.

When I checked out, the staff inquired about my stay and I told him of my complaints. The reception manager called me only to say (in so many words) that it was my problem because I never complained the whole time during my stay. (I take care of 2 kids and have no time to complain. In fact, I wouldn't have if I had not been asked during check-out). She eventually toned down her attitude when I made sure she knew that I did not appreciate her attitude. Prior to my stay, I was also given some bad attitude by a reservation officer when I had phoned in to inquire about my reservations. Note to Shangri-La: your hotel staff couldn't have been more wonderful but some of your reservation and reception officers need lessons in dealing with guests. This is after all a service industry and I would have expected more courtesy.

One final note on Cowrie Cove. It's highway robbery! We went to Phuket earlier in the year and for half the price, you can get real mega-sized lobsters rather than crayfish! Acqua was quite reasonable but don't bother with the pizza.

• Liked — the rooms were clean and nice
  • Disliked — noise from the lounge upstairs
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank zizzerzazzerzuzz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

Stayed at the Mactan Shang for our conference last week and, as usual, it was superb.

Airport pick up was efficient, check-in speedy

Room was comfortable (nothing surprising except for the bathroom slippers? guess its budgetary constrains)

Food was tasty and nice but not so memorable (the earlier you go for breakfast at Tides the better)..

Pool & Beach service was quite top notch.

Health club service was friendly with boundaries but had no time to check out Chi.

Of course, you have to brave 5* prices when youre around but its expected....

All over.. damn tropical glam (thanks for an office paid fab stay!)
Would love to park my bags at the Shang again.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Chris J
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2007

Overall, our vacation to Cebu, Philippines was a wonderful one. Shangri-la was great, it appears like their customer-centric organizational culture is consistent across the board (we stayed at 3 Shangri-la hotels in the Philippines). We had our 2.5 year old son in tow so the choice of hotel was extremely important to us -- must be kid-friendly, clean, and safe. Food was great (at the hotel and even those local "eating establishments"), grounds were well-maintained, comfortable & clean rooms, and equally as important, Shangri-la has a very friendly staff (Cebu, Makati and Ortigas locations).

When we were in Cebu, we practically lounged by the beach and pool for 2-3 days. We've noticed that the staff did not discriminate with their services -- regardless of what nationality the guests were, they gave them the exact same high quality of service. There were a couple of older gentlemen who work there (whose names escape me at this point) and they were extremely nice. They played with my son, checked up on us every half hour or so to check if we needed anything, etc. One worked by the rental shack and the other, taught us how to sail.

I have very fond memories of Cebu mainly because I spent it with my boys (husband and son) -- but fortunately, our stay at Shangri-la was problem-free that our vacation was stress-free.

Surely, we will be back.

• Liked — Friendly staff (especially with kids), great pool and beach
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marycheryl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

Awesome! We spent our honeymoon there, 25 - 31 March 2007 and everything was beautiful.
The room with an ocean view was splendid, the satff was outstanding, the pools and beach were great. We had dinner at Table 54 at Cowrie's Cove and it was very romantic, secluded, warm hospitality and the food was divine, too much, way too much though. We actually had to get up and walk for 30 minutes.
The best we thought was the authentic Filipino dishes we ordered thru room service, ample, inexpensive, and delicious.

I would recommend staying here to anyone and we will be back!

• Liked — Rooms, spa
  • Disliked — not many taxis
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CubanRobusto
Seoul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2007

Me and my wife went to the hotel over the Easter weekend to eat dinner. After being wanded and having our bags searched by security the receptionist at the front door asked us if we were checking in. We informed her that we were just there to have a lovely dinner. She smiled and welcomed us in.

We then proceded to the outdoor restraunt and ordered some food. The waiter returned and we were told we could not eat at the restraunt because we didn't have a room there. Surprised and confused I asked the waiter if he was sure about this. He said he would go speak to his manager. He returned with his supervisor who told us that hotel facilities are for guests only and that we had to leave the hotel.

I would like to stress that the waiter and his supervisor were very polite. They didn't look very comfortable telling me and my wife about the hotel's policy.

My wife and I were quite offended and so I am writing this to inform everyone about the Hotel's policy of inviting in hungry tourists so that they can kick them out.

I can't comment on value or quality because they wouldn't let me buy anything. However it's clear that they make so much money they don't care anyway.

• Liked — I didn't have a room there
  • Disliked — I wasn't allowed to eat there.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
13 Thank hungrymann
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2007

Stayed here April 14-16, 2007. Check-in was a breeze, they got us in our rooms quite fast and fixed the extra bed (which is actually just the sofa bed) right away. We paid approximately $40 for the extra person per night which turned out to be a steal considering it includes the buffet breakfast which is about $25 per person if you were to pay for it separately. We got a king-sized bed which was so comfy, the bathroom was roomy, and the balcony was a perfect place to hang out if you wanted a quick escape to your very cold hotel room after simmering in the scorching hot summer weather. We got a bayview room which also includes a view of the parking lot and lots of trees and barely, just barely, a vew of... the bay! (It doesn't deserve to be called a bayview room) Ask for the garden view room instead, it's in the newer wing and it's closer to the pool and the beach. Checked out Chi Spa and quickly decided that it really is too expensive for us locals especially when we get spectacular massages in the city for just a tiny fraction of Chi's unbelievable prices. We lounged around at the beach with my 2 year old daughter keeping herself busy playing with the white sand. The sand just isn't as fine as I though it would be, there are a lot of sharp objects like shells and small corals so wearing flip flops at the beach will protect your feet better. We decided to have dinner at Cowrie Cove which turned out to be a big mistake. Selection was limited, servngs too small yet too pricey, and it took forever to come out. You would think that everything would taste great after we were almost starving by the time the food was served but it was just okay. Well maybe more than ok but really not worth what we paid for it.

Breakfast is served in 2 venues and we chose Acqua since we heard there were less people having breakfast there. There were a lot of choices but one can really just eat so much. Although finding out about the price of the buffet, it really isn't worth $25. We took some bread with us to feed the fish which is probably one of the most exciting parts of our stay. You can go to the beach and feed the fishes! Hold on to the bread and you can feel them getting bites from it. It's awesome! There are a lot of activities to choose from, very pricey ofcourse so be prepared to spend, spend, spend. We were content to lounge around the numerous lounge chairs scattered around the beach and just stare out into the clear blue water. After a quick lunch at Tides which was once again just ok we decided to head back to the beach and try some snorkeling. It was low tide by the time we got back but head out to deeper water and you will be rewarded with the sight of corals and fishes. After our disappointing experiences with the food outlets we decided to head into the city to have dinner instead. It's quite a drive heading into the city but there are better choices of restaurants there.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and wish that we could stay longer. Life really IS a beach!

• Liked — The large beachfront
  • Disliked — Food was less than spectacular although priced like it should taste amazing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank bbeinstein
manila
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

First of all we love sating at the Shang compare to other hotels, we have stayed at island shang HK, Taipei, Singapore , Edsa, Makati and Cebu. So far all places were well maintain clean and has a courteous staff, With Island Shang, being the best of them all.

My review starts with the plus points of Mactan Shang,

We were here three years ago and the place has improved a lot, the restaurants were all newly renovated. ok Fine
The ground are clean and well maintained as ever, so taking a stroll in the early mornings and evenings will be delightful.
The pool is not really over crowded even at 100% occupancy this holy week
The beach was even better with far less people, We never really had a problem since me and my kids are early risers.
The room was clean when we arrived,
The service was not bad since we are golden circle member, no need for long lines during check in.\

The minus points,
The food in all outlet are really poor especially after seeing the bill. The buffet was more expensive the Edsa or Makati Shang,
The quality was even worse,
Paying 1500 ++ is ok as long as you get quality food that you usually get from other Shang hotel, Ex will be Paparazzi at edsa where you get Sea Bass, lamp , prime rib etc, At Mactan You get roast chicken, and roast pig for the same price.
The Chinese restaurants was the same ,serving was too small that a 5 yr child can consume an order of chicken that was supposed to be for two.
The cowrie grill was the worst, The seafood buffet was the worst, The crab were small and hollow with little meat, the beef was hard as a rock, the fish were not fresh and overcooked, the sashimi was sliced so thing that it looked like it was a cross bet sashimi and carpaccio, cost cutting maybe?, The coconut crab was overdone and also not fresh, At what pissed a lot of people was, it took the a along time to refill the trays,
The only good food service outlet was acqua, food was good and quality was ok.

Whenever we see the chinese and head chef walking around, We tell ourselves these are the reason we are not really enjoying ourselves, When we go on a vacation we view food as an integral
part of our experience, sad to say they disappointed us on the aspect. Which the place had a more convenient location. That's also a problem place was so secluded you need to use the hotel to get anywhere.

Any My kids love the place , just hope they will improve the food service outlets,

• Liked — beach and pool
  • Disliked — food, make up room took quite some time
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!