“Excellent rooms, excellent service...we'll be back !!!”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Highland Heights, Ohio
“Excellent rooms, excellent service...we'll be back !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our 2nd trip to Cebu was April of 2011. We really liked Maribago resort on our first trip so we decided to book there again. This time we stayed for 4 nights instead of 3, however it was after also spending 4 nights at Boracay Island at the Boracay Regency Resort.

Security: Taxis are still stopped at the front gate for inspection by the Maribago security staff. We were cleared and directed to the check-in pavilion where we were greeted by the reception staff. The check-in desk was again very speedy and everyone was friendly and we were treated again like royalty. We again stayed in an Amuma Spa Suite, one building over from our last stay.
The Amuma Spa Suite: Everything was just as nice as our last stay. Clean & room, great air-con. We highly recommend it.
3 Sections: The Amuma Spa Suite is comprised of 3 sections. You have the bedroom section, the toilet & sink section, and the bath & shower section. All three sections are very roomy. I will advise again, make sure you wear your flip-flops in the toilet & sink section if the floor is wet. You will not want to slip and break your butt on the marble floor. Again, I put an extra towel on the floor to soak up the water from exiting the shower. Requesting extra towels was never a problem.
The Breakfast Buffet: Again, our reservation included free breakfast buffet every morning. This time, the breakfast buffet was held every morning in the large in-door dinning room attached to the outdoor dinning area. It was cooler and very nice dinning there. The staff is totally fantastic; we were always greeted with a smile, and a sincere “good morning, maayong buntag”.
The Dinner Buffet Show: We dinned twice here for the dinner show. Once again upon our arrival we were welcomed, seated, and treated like royalty. The food was absolutely fantastic. The buffet consisted of ….”Everything!!!” The show consisted of Hula Dancers and some were spinning fire batons, all to great island music. The dinner show was not included so we paid the additional cost, but it was worth it.
Room Service: Room service at Maribago has not changed, the service is great and very speedy.
Internet: Just past the check-in pavilion you will find the souvenir shop pavilion. Access to the internet is still free for quests; please limit your time to 30 minutes.
Places to Visit: While staying at Maribago this time, we visited the Mactan Island Aquarium, and the Lapu Lapu Shrine. We also visited and walked through the Hilton Hotel and White Sands hotel near-by. I will review these places separately.

Ok, I regretfully must tell about one bad experience at our favorite resort.....first off, one person will not ruin my great Maribago experience! Ok, here is the deal…everytime we need to leave the property, one of the staff at the check-in pavilion would call out to the guards at the front gate, and they would signal a cab from a parking area across the street. We used taxi service at least 4 times while staying here at Maribago. And during one of our rides, we learned that the taxis across the street are assigned to Maribago. The driver was trying to explain the connection with Maribago, and I took it as taxis parked across the street were there specifically to serve Maribago and possibly White Sands hotel near-by. So it was our final day and we were checking out, we had used taxi service at least 4 times without any trouble, but now we had to deal with a bellman that thought we were idiots or something. The bellman stood out from the rest of the staff, he was very fat compared to the rest. And on our last day, we checked out and informed him that we needed a taxi to leave. He informed us that they have a hotel taxi, and he began to call over to the driver of the hotel taxi who was in the parking lot area. I knew that the hotel taxi would charge 600 to 650 pesos for a ride that would only cost half that much. I told him we did not want the hotel taxi, and we wanted a regular taxi from outside. He stopped and took a few steps back as though he was removing himself from service with us, and he stated “Well those taxis you have to catch outside” and he is pointing toward the exit gate. His pointing to exit gate indicated to me that we were to leave the check-out pavillion with our luggage on-foot, walk outside and catch our own damn taxi. I said, “Oh really…well we want one of those taxis to come here inside and pick us up”. He lied and told me that the taxis are not allowed to enter here. I said, “So what you are saying is that we have to go out to the street to get a taxi”…..I could tell that he did not want to say “yes”, but what he said was, “Well that is where you have to catch them”. I said, “Ok fine, we have had taxi service pick us up right here where we are standing but today we have to go to the street…ok fine!” He thought I would back down and request the service of the hotel taxi, but I picked up our luggage and headed for the street. He looked really surprised at my move, and he tried to assist me with our luggage but I told him “no, I’ll get it”. He did grab the luggage bag that my wife was rolling, but he was not welcomed to do this. I was pissed off, not at Maribago Resort, but at this one employee that doesn’t not work up to the high standards of all the other employees. I wish I had obtained this idiots name, but I did not. Then while walking with my luggage to the front gate, the security staff sees us coming, so they open the gate and called a taxi. Now get this, the taxi drove inside the gate! This is what we wanted in the first place. The very observant security staff, met our request without me even having to speak to them. But this fat bellman ruined what could have been a pleasant departure. Looking back on this incident, maybe this person title was not a "bellmen", he was not one to carry luggage to a guest room, I saw him outside always...possibly he was over-seeing or working with security staff or something.

Overall experience: Even though we had a very bad experience with the fat & rude employee at the end of our stay, we still love Maribago Beach Resort, and we hope to come back for another visit as soon as we can. All the other staff members at Maribago I rate an A+++ and I will continue to recommend Maribago Beach Resort to anyone asking advice on where to stay while visiting the Philippines.
For further information, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Amuma Spa room, we have not tried the other types of rooms but this one cove...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flynster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles de San Rafael, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

an ideal palce to brace yourself...people were very accommodating.. I love the seafoof at the cove restaurant and the massage service of the amuma spa. will definitely be coming back. waves to the front office staff. they were very efficient on checking us in and as well as giving us a very thorough check-out. this resort is definitely be a home next to home.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank elena salvatore g
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We were booked under a travel agency with package inclusion of free roundtrip transfers. Indeed, we were so amazed that hotel staff was smiling and patiently waiting for us in the airport since our flight was delayed. The staff in the lobby was very accommodating and gave us a quick orientation about the resort and its facilities. You can also ask for different activities while your are in the resort. Staff was so informative and helpful. Our room is located right in front of the beach area and we were so glad since it is perfect location for us and it is only a walking distance going to the restaurant. The breakfast was very good and the food in the seafoods restaurant was delicious. Though it is expensive but it is worth paying for the service that they provide. I love to comeback in MARIBAGO and decided to invite and book my family on June 2012. Thank you to the wonderful staff of MARIBAGO BLUEWATER. You all made our stay memorable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Coolsummer_12
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

good value for a quick time out. After we complained about our not yet refurbished rooms (the rest of the hotel had been refurbished) we were relocated to a nice bungalow.
The dive center staff was excellent and we had a great time.
Breakfast was good and the waterfront restaurant served good food.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Hamburg1965
Darwin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

They were very accommodating and upgraded us to thier bungalow as there were 7 of us and had given us a discount. We found thier restaurant staff very courteous and food was fantastic and not so pricey. We also had our reunion party held there and everyone was well looked after. Thank you and we will difinitely stay with you again.

Room Tip: Advise to take the bungalow for families and you also have the best views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonah P
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We made a good choice staying at this resort hotel, staff are being nice and honest. The breakfast buffet is excellent, very calm and clean feels like a paradise it's definitely worth our stay. Everything seem perfectly for us the weather, place and the timing.

Room Tip: Any rooms are in good location except, they didn't give us new towels for the second day stay...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ManuelDH
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We had a night tour (2-9pm stay) and was perfect. Amenities fantastic, lovely dinner, nice music and lovely scenes. We had a very nice time!

Room Tip: We didnt hire a room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#14 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands at Maribago Beach

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!