“Loved It!!”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I visited this resort with my sister, three years younger then myself, and my parents. We found that the resort was so beautiful! Everywhere i went i was treated like a super star and all the staff very very friendly (LIke most of the people in the philippines). The themed dinners were great especially the islander night. Real Philippino food like you would experience from the street stalls, with explanations of what it is that you are actually eating. The staff were very excited to introduce us to new foods.
The room was beautiful, with a very pretty bathroom. We had a pool view room which was the cheaper option however there was no scrimping on the service or the room amenities. The entire place was very clean, including the beach
The seafood restaurant was amazing and we enjoyed freshly caught fish.
THe beach seems very man made but sitting under the shade huts on the beach with a lovely cocktail you soon forget that it is man made and quickly relax!

Room Tip: All rooms i saw were great
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe (Run of the House) room and the interior was average. The bottom corners of the bathroom door was fraying and did not look very well maintained. Room service menu was not in there, and after calling to ask for one it took about 20 minutes until it came.

There were no proper windows, just wooden blinds so you were able to hear everything from outside, and sometimes when there's loud music at the restaurant it is quite disturbing. Our location of the room specifically was not great.

To have hot water we needed to wait for the water to "heat up" first for 1-2 minutes, which was at times inconvenient when you're in a rush. I called twice to raise this issue but no one came to check on it until I was face to face with them at the reception.

The free inclusive breakfast was average, bread was average as well.

Pros: nice beach, comfortable beds
Cons: average breakfast, poor service, hot water takes a while to heat up

Room Tip: Get rooms nearer to the beach where you have proper windows (instead of just wooden blinds) and away...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Excellent service. Hassle free check in/out. They gave us a room upgrade (at almost summer time!) Good food. Huge bathroom. Yes, the beach seems man made, but then aren't all if not most of the resorts in this area man-made? Shallow water at the beach. Nice pools (they have 3). One by the Allegro Restaurant where there's a kiddie pool, one at the Amuma spa, and one somewhere I didn't come by (we didn't roam around much, but it says in the map there's one near the garden side). Air-con in our room isn't too great, though. Maybe it was too hot outside (which seems to get through the bathroom ceiling at our beach side unit) that the airconditioner can't get the whole room cold immediately. When we wanted to order room service, there was no menu in our room. We had to ask at the 24-hour restaurant for the room service menu. We were told that room service is also 24 hours. So when we got the menu and got hungry by around 10.30PM, we called to order pasta and pizza. Unfortunately, they said that the pasta is no longer available because they only serve it up to 9PM. We should have been informed that not all food in the menu can be ordered 24 hours. The pizza was very good though. One of the best pizzas I've had, ever. The burger wasn't impressive, while the chocolate cake was also very good. I also liked the scallops at the seafood restaurant by the beach. The waiter and waitress there are superb! Very friendly, good conversationalists and hospitable! If only all other waiters and waitresses are like them... We watched the cultural show and program at the barrio fiesta restaurant for a while, but having seen a lot of cultural shows, it didn't really hold my attention much. After the show, they had traditional Filipino games. Guests take part in the games and the children can join in the fun (my son joined in getting candies from the broken pot in the hit-the-pot game). Spa services are overpriced, in my opinion. 3,000 pesos for a massage is too much for me. They also have a children's play area near the pool and a children's nook (airconditioned room) near the souvenir shop. The resort is located a few steps by the main road where you can find some stores to buy essentials (cheaper) or try out restaurants (we passed by a grill which had a lot of people in it so food may be good there). I'm not sure how safe it is to venture out on foot farther though. The resort is about 15 minutes away from the airport.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank system_error
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the property. In comparison to other beach hotels in Cebu, Maribago is considered slightly more expensive, perhaps a price tier below the Shangri-la, or Crimson resort. The atmosphere is very resort like, we stayed in an unit next to the beach, with our main door facing the beach. The bath room area is the most impressive, large size, almost same as the bedroom, an outdoor rainforest shower stand.

The restaurant prices are overly priced, and they charged half price for my kid for the breakfast. Most guests are from Korea or Taiwan, and the resort is quite popular as a venue for corporate functions, so the beach area was pretty busy during our stay. But I must say the food is rather appetizing, especially the Barrio fiesta buffet.

Room Tip: The rooms at the beach is more newly furnished with "floating" beds.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CatLowH
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our 2nd trip to Cebu was April of 2011. We really liked Maribago resort on our first trip so we decided to book there again. This time we stayed for 4 nights instead of 3, however it was after also spending 4 nights at Boracay Island at the Boracay Regency Resort.

Security: Taxis are still stopped at the front gate for inspection by the Maribago security staff. We were cleared and directed to the check-in pavilion where we were greeted by the reception staff. The check-in desk was again very speedy and everyone was friendly and we were treated again like royalty. We again stayed in an Amuma Spa Suite, one building over from our last stay.
The Amuma Spa Suite: Everything was just as nice as our last stay. Clean & room, great air-con. We highly recommend it.
3 Sections: The Amuma Spa Suite is comprised of 3 sections. You have the bedroom section, the toilet & sink section, and the bath & shower section. All three sections are very roomy. I will advise again, make sure you wear your flip-flops in the toilet & sink section if the floor is wet. You will not want to slip and break your butt on the marble floor. Again, I put an extra towel on the floor to soak up the water from exiting the shower. Requesting extra towels was never a problem.
The Breakfast Buffet: Again, our reservation included free breakfast buffet every morning. This time, the breakfast buffet was held every morning in the large in-door dinning room attached to the outdoor dinning area. It was cooler and very nice dinning there. The staff is totally fantastic; we were always greeted with a smile, and a sincere “good morning, maayong buntag”.
The Dinner Buffet Show: We dinned twice here for the dinner show. Once again upon our arrival we were welcomed, seated, and treated like royalty. The food was absolutely fantastic. The buffet consisted of ….”Everything!!!” The show consisted of Hula Dancers and some were spinning fire batons, all to great island music. The dinner show was not included so we paid the additional cost, but it was worth it.
Room Service: Room service at Maribago has not changed, the service is great and very speedy.
Internet: Just past the check-in pavilion you will find the souvenir shop pavilion. Access to the internet is still free for quests; please limit your time to 30 minutes.
Places to Visit: While staying at Maribago this time, we visited the Mactan Island Aquarium, and the Lapu Lapu Shrine. We also visited and walked through the Hilton Hotel and White Sands hotel near-by. I will review these places separately.

Ok, I regretfully must tell about one bad experience at our favorite resort.....first off, one person will not ruin my great Maribago experience! Ok, here is the deal…everytime we need to leave the property, one of the staff at the check-in pavilion would call out to the guards at the front gate, and they would signal a cab from a parking area across the street. We used taxi service at least 4 times while staying here at Maribago. And during one of our rides, we learned that the taxis across the street are assigned to Maribago. The driver was trying to explain the connection with Maribago, and I took it as taxis parked across the street were there specifically to serve Maribago and possibly White Sands hotel near-by. So it was our final day and we were checking out, we had used taxi service at least 4 times without any trouble, but now we had to deal with a bellman that thought we were idiots or something. The bellman stood out from the rest of the staff, he was very fat compared to the rest. And on our last day, we checked out and informed him that we needed a taxi to leave. He informed us that they have a hotel taxi, and he began to call over to the driver of the hotel taxi who was in the parking lot area. I knew that the hotel taxi would charge 600 to 650 pesos for a ride that would only cost half that much. I told him we did not want the hotel taxi, and we wanted a regular taxi from outside. He stopped and took a few steps back as though he was removing himself from service with us, and he stated “Well those taxis you have to catch outside” and he is pointing toward the exit gate. His pointing to exit gate indicated to me that we were to leave the check-out pavillion with our luggage on-foot, walk outside and catch our own damn taxi. I said, “Oh really…well we want one of those taxis to come here inside and pick us up”. He lied and told me that the taxis are not allowed to enter here. I said, “So what you are saying is that we have to go out to the street to get a taxi”…..I could tell that he did not want to say “yes”, but what he said was, “Well that is where you have to catch them”. I said, “Ok fine, we have had taxi service pick us up right here where we are standing but today we have to go to the street…ok fine!” He thought I would back down and request the service of the hotel taxi, but I picked up our luggage and headed for the street. He looked really surprised at my move, and he tried to assist me with our luggage but I told him “no, I’ll get it”. He did grab the luggage bag that my wife was rolling, but he was not welcomed to do this. I was pissed off, not at Maribago Resort, but at this one employee that doesn’t not work up to the high standards of all the other employees. I wish I had obtained this idiots name, but I did not. Then while walking with my luggage to the front gate, the security staff sees us coming, so they open the gate and called a taxi. Now get this, the taxi drove inside the gate! This is what we wanted in the first place. The very observant security staff, met our request without me even having to speak to them. But this fat bellman ruined what could have been a pleasant departure. Looking back on this incident, maybe this person title was not a "bellmen", he was not one to carry luggage to a guest room, I saw him outside always...possibly he was over-seeing or working with security staff or something.

Overall experience: Even though we had a very bad experience with the fat & rude employee at the end of our stay, we still love Maribago Beach Resort, and we hope to come back for another visit as soon as we can. All the other staff members at Maribago I rate an A+++ and I will continue to recommend Maribago Beach Resort to anyone asking advice on where to stay while visiting the Philippines.
For further information, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Amuma Spa room, we have not tried the other types of rooms but this one cove...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flynster
Reviewed 18 February 2012

an ideal palce to brace yourself...people were very accommodating.. I love the seafoof at the cove restaurant and the massage service of the amuma spa. will definitely be coming back. waves to the front office staff. they were very efficient on checking us in and as well as giving us a very thorough check-out. this resort is definitely be a home next to home.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank elena salvatore g
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We were booked under a travel agency with package inclusion of free roundtrip transfers. Indeed, we were so amazed that hotel staff was smiling and patiently waiting for us in the airport since our flight was delayed. The staff in the lobby was very accommodating and gave us a quick orientation about the resort and its facilities. You can also ask for different activities while your are in the resort. Staff was so informative and helpful. Our room is located right in front of the beach area and we were so glad since it is perfect location for us and it is only a walking distance going to the restaurant. The breakfast was very good and the food in the seafoods restaurant was delicious. Though it is expensive but it is worth paying for the service that they provide. I love to comeback in MARIBAGO and decided to invite and book my family on June 2012. Thank you to the wonderful staff of MARIBAGO BLUEWATER. You all made our stay memorable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
#15 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
#13 of 44 in Mactan Island

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!