“Superb resort!”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Pasig, Philippines
“Superb resort!”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Maribago Bluewater probably be the best resort in Lapu Lapu City in terms of its rooms, staff, service, facilities and cleanliness. The room that I've stayed at, the Amuma Spa Suite, is their signature room having large spaces, chairs, bed and bathtub where you can relax and breathe in their signature lemon ginger scent spread all over the room. They have 5 pools spread all over the hotel and a superb man-made island where you can do lots of beach activities.

Their Amuma Spa offers signature massages that'll help you ease up and relax during your stay while their restaurant, Alegro, cooks up international and local fare using only the freshest ingredients most specially their seafood.

So I suggest that if you're heading to Cebu, make sure to stay Maribago Bluewater Resort.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank leydelossantos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We decided to try this out for a night last Friday. Overall an ok resort especially for locals but at P7000 per night definitely not worth the money. Service was ok and generally the front line staff were friendly enough although a bit thoughtless from time to time. Room was a 'cabin type' near the beach but the finishes were of nipa hut quality and not all that posh. The water supply is 'funny', a bit brackish i guess and definitely not drinkable. The two tiny bottles of bottled water is a pathetic gesture considering the tap water isnt even suitable for boiling to make tea. At least there is warm running water.

The beach area is nice but the main beach faces a lagoon, which was pretty dirty late morning our first day with 'UFO's in the water, if you know what i mean :(. Swimable but it aint no boracay! I guess it would be ok for kids though. Best bet is to goto the island across the lagoon the far side of which is open water and a bit more interesting for swimming for adults. Swimming pool was ok, never really that busy and about 1.2 M deep or so. Food was kind of a typical 'resort' hotel mix with a few local bits thrown in - breakfast buffet was typical quality and variety, evening dinner was a choice of a bbq buffet (yawn) and ala carte menus for both an italian resto and the main restaurant, Allegro. The waitress, in addition to keeping my beer glass full, recommened a steamed talapia which turned out to be very good. There was also a 'native' dance type of show with the spinning fire balls and all that which was....entertaining.

We took a side trip into town to shop at Ayala mall and SM Cebu. One thing to bear in mind is that these resorts are FAR from the city and shopping, so if u do go into town be prepared for 30 mins to an hour of sometimes not so smooth a drive, taxi fare 200-300 pesos. Always insist on meter only, dont be fooled. There is a shuttle bus from the resort but limited leaving at 10 and 3pm only AND it costs 150 per person, return, assuming you can make the limited schedule.

One complaint i had, was that there was a big private event booked the evening of the day we arrived, which went on very loudly on the beach adjacent to my cabin until about 11pm. I think it only stopped because of rain, but thankfully it did. I complained and got a 'sorry' from the front desk staff who neglected to mention the big party upon my check in, after recommending i wait for a beach front unit. Apparently the 'manager' was looking for me several times but 'couldnt find' me even though I'm a rather conspicuous caucasian. Would have been nice of them to offer me a free drink, or ride to the airport, or some gesture of good will considering their indifference or over site, but, nothing. Indifferent, spineless management do more damage to a hotels reputation than any well meaning front line staff who make the error.

So what can i say. The resort is ok, but definitely not worth 7K a night. if you can get a deal at 3-5K a night it would be a more acceptable place to stay. And train the managers to deal with problems not run and hide!

Room Tip: beach facing rooms are nice in terms of location/proximity to the beach, but if there is an event on...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I visited this resort with my sister, three years younger then myself, and my parents. We found that the resort was so beautiful! Everywhere i went i was treated like a super star and all the staff very very friendly (LIke most of the people in the philippines). The themed dinners were great especially the islander night. Real Philippino food like you would experience from the street stalls, with explanations of what it is that you are actually eating. The staff were very excited to introduce us to new foods.
The room was beautiful, with a very pretty bathroom. We had a pool view room which was the cheaper option however there was no scrimping on the service or the room amenities. The entire place was very clean, including the beach
The seafood restaurant was amazing and we enjoyed freshly caught fish.
THe beach seems very man made but sitting under the shade huts on the beach with a lovely cocktail you soon forget that it is man made and quickly relax!

Room Tip: All rooms i saw were great
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe (Run of the House) room and the interior was average. The bottom corners of the bathroom door was fraying and did not look very well maintained. Room service menu was not in there, and after calling to ask for one it took about 20 minutes until it came.

There were no proper windows, just wooden blinds so you were able to hear everything from outside, and sometimes when there's loud music at the restaurant it is quite disturbing. Our location of the room specifically was not great.

To have hot water we needed to wait for the water to "heat up" first for 1-2 minutes, which was at times inconvenient when you're in a rush. I called twice to raise this issue but no one came to check on it until I was face to face with them at the reception.

The free inclusive breakfast was average, bread was average as well.

Pros: nice beach, comfortable beds
Cons: average breakfast, poor service, hot water takes a while to heat up

Room Tip: Get rooms nearer to the beach where you have proper windows (instead of just wooden blinds) and away...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Manila
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Excellent service. Hassle free check in/out. They gave us a room upgrade (at almost summer time!) Good food. Huge bathroom. Yes, the beach seems man made, but then aren't all if not most of the resorts in this area man-made? Shallow water at the beach. Nice pools (they have 3). One by the Allegro Restaurant where there's a kiddie pool, one at the Amuma spa, and one somewhere I didn't come by (we didn't roam around much, but it says in the map there's one near the garden side). Air-con in our room isn't too great, though. Maybe it was too hot outside (which seems to get through the bathroom ceiling at our beach side unit) that the airconditioner can't get the whole room cold immediately. When we wanted to order room service, there was no menu in our room. We had to ask at the 24-hour restaurant for the room service menu. We were told that room service is also 24 hours. So when we got the menu and got hungry by around 10.30PM, we called to order pasta and pizza. Unfortunately, they said that the pasta is no longer available because they only serve it up to 9PM. We should have been informed that not all food in the menu can be ordered 24 hours. The pizza was very good though. One of the best pizzas I've had, ever. The burger wasn't impressive, while the chocolate cake was also very good. I also liked the scallops at the seafood restaurant by the beach. The waiter and waitress there are superb! Very friendly, good conversationalists and hospitable! If only all other waiters and waitresses are like them... We watched the cultural show and program at the barrio fiesta restaurant for a while, but having seen a lot of cultural shows, it didn't really hold my attention much. After the show, they had traditional Filipino games. Guests take part in the games and the children can join in the fun (my son joined in getting candies from the broken pot in the hit-the-pot game). Spa services are overpriced, in my opinion. 3,000 pesos for a massage is too much for me. They also have a children's play area near the pool and a children's nook (airconditioned room) near the souvenir shop. The resort is located a few steps by the main road where you can find some stores to buy essentials (cheaper) or try out restaurants (we passed by a grill which had a lot of people in it so food may be good there). I'm not sure how safe it is to venture out on foot farther though. The resort is about 15 minutes away from the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank system_error
Singapore
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the property. In comparison to other beach hotels in Cebu, Maribago is considered slightly more expensive, perhaps a price tier below the Shangri-la, or Crimson resort. The atmosphere is very resort like, we stayed in an unit next to the beach, with our main door facing the beach. The bath room area is the most impressive, large size, almost same as the bedroom, an outdoor rainforest shower stand.

The restaurant prices are overly priced, and they charged half price for my kid for the breakfast. Most guests are from Korea or Taiwan, and the resort is quite popular as a venue for corporate functions, so the beach area was pretty busy during our stay. But I must say the food is rather appetizing, especially the Barrio fiesta buffet.

Room Tip: The rooms at the beach is more newly furnished with "floating" beds.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CatLowH
Highland Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our 2nd trip to Cebu was April of 2011. We really liked Maribago resort on our first trip so we decided to book there again. This time we stayed for 4 nights instead of 3, however it was after also spending 4 nights at Boracay Island at the Boracay Regency Resort.

Security: Taxis are still stopped at the front gate for inspection by the Maribago security staff. We were cleared and directed to the check-in pavilion where we were greeted by the reception staff. The check-in desk was again very speedy and everyone was friendly and we were treated again like royalty. We again stayed in an Amuma Spa Suite, one building over from our last stay.
The Amuma Spa Suite: Everything was just as nice as our last stay. Clean & room, great air-con. We highly recommend it.
3 Sections: The Amuma Spa Suite is comprised of 3 sections. You have the bedroom section, the toilet & sink section, and the bath & shower section. All three sections are very roomy. I will advise again, make sure you wear your flip-flops in the toilet & sink section if the floor is wet. You will not want to slip and break your butt on the marble floor. Again, I put an extra towel on the floor to soak up the water from exiting the shower. Requesting extra towels was never a problem.
The Breakfast Buffet: Again, our reservation included free breakfast buffet every morning. This time, the breakfast buffet was held every morning in the large in-door dinning room attached to the outdoor dinning area. It was cooler and very nice dinning there. The staff is totally fantastic; we were always greeted with a smile, and a sincere “good morning, maayong buntag”.
The Dinner Buffet Show: We dinned twice here for the dinner show. Once again upon our arrival we were welcomed, seated, and treated like royalty. The food was absolutely fantastic. The buffet consisted of ….”Everything!!!” The show consisted of Hula Dancers and some were spinning fire batons, all to great island music. The dinner show was not included so we paid the additional cost, but it was worth it.
Room Service: Room service at Maribago has not changed, the service is great and very speedy.
Internet: Just past the check-in pavilion you will find the souvenir shop pavilion. Access to the internet is still free for quests; please limit your time to 30 minutes.
Places to Visit: While staying at Maribago this time, we visited the Mactan Island Aquarium, and the Lapu Lapu Shrine. We also visited and walked through the Hilton Hotel and White Sands hotel near-by. I will review these places separately.

Ok, I regretfully must tell about one bad experience at our favorite resort.....first off, one person will not ruin my great Maribago experience! Ok, here is the deal…everytime we need to leave the property, one of the staff at the check-in pavilion would call out to the guards at the front gate, and they would signal a cab from a parking area across the street. We used taxi service at least 4 times while staying here at Maribago. And during one of our rides, we learned that the taxis across the street are assigned to Maribago. The driver was trying to explain the connection with Maribago, and I took it as taxis parked across the street were there specifically to serve Maribago and possibly White Sands hotel near-by. So it was our final day and we were checking out, we had used taxi service at least 4 times without any trouble, but now we had to deal with a bellman that thought we were idiots or something. The bellman stood out from the rest of the staff, he was very fat compared to the rest. And on our last day, we checked out and informed him that we needed a taxi to leave. He informed us that they have a hotel taxi, and he began to call over to the driver of the hotel taxi who was in the parking lot area. I knew that the hotel taxi would charge 600 to 650 pesos for a ride that would only cost half that much. I told him we did not want the hotel taxi, and we wanted a regular taxi from outside. He stopped and took a few steps back as though he was removing himself from service with us, and he stated “Well those taxis you have to catch outside” and he is pointing toward the exit gate. His pointing to exit gate indicated to me that we were to leave the check-out pavillion with our luggage on-foot, walk outside and catch our own damn taxi. I said, “Oh really…well we want one of those taxis to come here inside and pick us up”. He lied and told me that the taxis are not allowed to enter here. I said, “So what you are saying is that we have to go out to the street to get a taxi”…..I could tell that he did not want to say “yes”, but what he said was, “Well that is where you have to catch them”. I said, “Ok fine, we have had taxi service pick us up right here where we are standing but today we have to go to the street…ok fine!” He thought I would back down and request the service of the hotel taxi, but I picked up our luggage and headed for the street. He looked really surprised at my move, and he tried to assist me with our luggage but I told him “no, I’ll get it”. He did grab the luggage bag that my wife was rolling, but he was not welcomed to do this. I was pissed off, not at Maribago Resort, but at this one employee that doesn’t not work up to the high standards of all the other employees. I wish I had obtained this idiots name, but I did not. Then while walking with my luggage to the front gate, the security staff sees us coming, so they open the gate and called a taxi. Now get this, the taxi drove inside the gate! This is what we wanted in the first place. The very observant security staff, met our request without me even having to speak to them. But this fat bellman ruined what could have been a pleasant departure. Looking back on this incident, maybe this person title was not a "bellmen", he was not one to carry luggage to a guest room, I saw him outside always...possibly he was over-seeing or working with security staff or something.

Overall experience: Even though we had a very bad experience with the fat & rude employee at the end of our stay, we still love Maribago Beach Resort, and we hope to come back for another visit as soon as we can. All the other staff members at Maribago I rate an A+++ and I will continue to recommend Maribago Beach Resort to anyone asking advice on where to stay while visiting the Philippines.
For further information, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Amuma Spa room, we have not tried the other types of rooms but this one cove...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
#12 of 42 in Mactan Island

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!