Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed for two nights in Amuma Spa Suite, very nice room which is very spacious with two queen beds, small fridge, TV (large range of channels), aircon, large terrace/balcony (ask for a first floor room, you slightly more privacy although open to your neighbour), extremely large bathroom with toilet, sink and then separately in the openly ventilated area a bathtub and separate rainhead shower; this area of the bathroom has a real pebble floor (you are provided with flip flops to use if you have trouble walking in pebbles!). The pool for the Amuma suites is very nice and you can get a drink from the adjacent Amuma juice bar. I think the pool is meant to be used only by Amuma Spa Suite residents as I am sure I saw residents from other parts of the resort being turned away by the pool attendants. Everyone working at the resort was friendly and helpful. The food and drinks are not that expensive until you add on the obligatory service charge and the VAT but I didn't think overly expensive particularly when you take into account the convenience of just being lazy and eating at the resort, the good service and the quality of the food which I thought was pretty good. You can eat at the Italian restaurant, the live seafood restaurant or the Allegro Buffet. Breakfast at the Allegro was included in our room rate and was fantastic, we didn't really need lunch after that. You can have Asian cooked, bacon, sausage, eggs to order, cereals, large variety of breads, fresh fruit etc. It really was a very good breakfast. There is a nice bar near the beach (Oyster Bar) that has live easy going music some afternoons and happy hour (two for one drink on local beers and cocktails) from 4pm to 6pm (follows happy hour at the Allegro from 2pm to 4pm). Resort is popular with a mix of people - Filipino and Japanese in particular, there must also be quite a few German visitors too because the staff often greeted me with 'guten tag'! The resort is used by quite a few corporate 'outings' and when we were there, there was a spectacular wedding on the resorts private island across the bay - had a nice time in the evening listening to the wedding music and watching the fireworks and Chinese lanterns. We had very good priced hand and foot treatments at the Spa and we took a taxi to SM City Mall over in Cebu City for 250-300 PHP; make sure the taxi driver turns on the meter! (sometimes they 'forget' to do this!).I had a few very minor issues but won't repeat them here as they were inconsequential and I don't want to detract from what was actually a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Poliwhirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We simply love it!
Second time, now for 7 nights, enjoyed the amuma spa suite!
We definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cezar-La-Andy
Reviewed 13 May 2012

One thing that Maribago Bluewater Beach Resort can boast of is their staff. They are the most courteous! Every single one greets you with a smile and has been very helpful throughout our stay.

The pools and the beach were kept clean. We stayed at their deluxe rooms and they could use some upgrading. They were currently refurbishing other deluxe rooms during our stay.

The breakfast buffet was great! So much variety that'll cater to any nationality, since many of their visitors are foreigners. I got one problem though with the breakfast, the papaya in particular tasted bland and bad. But it didn't really spoil my whole eating experience.

The food in their restos can be a little bit pricy but there are other cheaper ones outside the resort which are just a walk away. Also you have to pay for wifi but they offer free wifi on their bars and restos.

Overall, it was a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chobie
Reviewed 9 May 2012

It is definitely huge and artistically designed. I love the well-kept garden. I love the floating gazebos turned into a bar. I love the beach especially the islet-like beach that you need to cross via a paddled boat to reach. I love the sunset! I love the huge restaurants with classy music to offer.

People greet you as you pass-by. They even offer buy one take one for drinks :)

In other words; I found my own paradise in this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Gina09Makati
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We arrived after a 20 hour journey from the UK and were upgraded to an Amuma spa suite "because it was Valentines day"! which was a great start. We booked from the UK via dialaflight and paid £214 which was over the odds looking at some other reviews and in hindsight I should've shopped around more. We just got a taxi from right outside the airport. The room was fine although smelled a little musty. We got to the beach bar just in time for a lovely happy hour cocktail. We didn't eat at the themed restaurant as we thought it was expensive but went over the road to the Maribago Grill instead which was ok but service was slow (live singer again for Valentines).
My husband loved the breakfast and tried just about everything on offer. The staff were lovely, constantly polite & smiling and the resort itself was kept very tidy. We didn't use the pools as unfortunately it started pouring down the night we got there and didn't stop! We went to the Alaya Mall in a bus the hotel provides as we didn't know what to do in the rain (they charge but it was still cheaper than a taxi) We cheered ourselves up with a few San Miguels and a pizza at the mall which is massive. We had to leave the next morning before breakfast, much to my hubby's disappointment. We enjoyed our short stay, only spoiled by the rain but would've given the hotel much more custom had food and drinks been slightly cheaper. We travelled to Borocay, Bohol and Siquijor and were suprised how expensive the Philippines is in general, especially compared to some of it's SE Asian neighbours. I doubt i'll return to Cebu but would be happy to stay at the Maribago again if I did!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jemc67
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort for 5 nights. This was the venue of my best friend's wedding that's why we booked this resort in Cebu. Our suite was located on the ground level and we were just a few steps away from the pool which was very convenient. Room and bathroom were spacious. It had a small lanai perfect for lounging. Across from our room was the Amuma Spa. The reception desk was welcoming. Spa treatments were average and a bit pricey. Daily breakfast buffet was ok. You can choose to sit inside the restaurant or in the lanai. The buko pandan dessert was yummy. The beach front was clean but don't expect the sand to be as fine as the sand in Boracay. You can ride a small boat for free that will take you to the man-made island across the beach front. The staff were friendly and attentive to our needs. My best friend was happy with her wedding reception! Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rileyboo28
Reviewed 13 April 2012

we stayed at the Amara Spa Suite. room is clean, big with two beds. on the down side, the aircon was leaking, which is in need of servicing but couldnt be done during our stay which we were okay. the bathroom is big with tub and seperated shower area, the basin and wardrobe area has to be careful as the floor tends to be slippery. my 2yo gal slipped once, luckily her diaper helped to cushion the fall. Security ard d resort is good as there seems to be security personnel on the foot most of the time. I observed it while figuring out there were constant footsteps from the front to the back of my room! Can't get wifi at room, so you have to find a good spot outside! The staff are service oriented, greeted us with all smiles whenever we walked passed. I had requested for a printout for my flight and they responded quickly, with no charges!

breakfast was alright, decent spread From western to Asian styled. There are 3 pools which gave you plenty of choice to swim.Beach is enclosed which is good for young kids to swim in. We tried TheCove, staff were friendly and we had a good dining time. spa was slightly expensive, but the massage was excellent! The spa room was set in a nice atmosphere except that i can hear some motor engines rumbling as i think the room was facing towards the outside of the resort.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms looks good. if you staying at Amara Spa suites, try not to get ground floor as you...