“memorable transfer ..”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I book on a certain city hotel in cebu. We make arrangements and pay 50% of the total amount of our stay. Any incidentals will just be paid in cash. Accidentally, my phone navigate into another website. It was a resort named Bluewater Maribago beach resort. I don't know what comes into my mind that I suddenly told my husband, "Hon, we will stay here!." Thus, we booked, stayed and the rest was history. We ignore the other booking we have back then and transferred to this resort. We were designated to a spacious Amuma suite room with a touch of modern old-fashioned state-of-the-art architecture with a huge creamy-colored bathroom that perfectly fits the entire suite. Fronting our room is the full view of Amuma pool and Amuma spa. I tried their spa in the gazebo -- very soothing and relaxing. You can have hair treatments, pedicure and manicure also in their salon. Not far from our room is a Jacuzzi and sauna. As part of our package, we eat breakfast everyday at their Allegro restaurant. Variety of foods. Delicious well-prepared meals of international and Asian fusion. Theme dinner buffets' every night with live performers. We really had a great time with this resort except for the ACU not so cold. I'm happy though, it was handled properly so not a problem anymore. They have kind-hearted, courteous, and friendly staffs. A stay worth remembering. A resort well-kept and managed. One visit is not adequate. We will hopefully visit this resort next summer ..

Room Tip: prefer the Amuma suite room with jacuzzi, sauna and salon .. sounds good..
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I've been travelling into various areas in the Philippines and abroad not to mention Paris, Caledonia in France, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and within the Philippines and I would say, nothing beats Filipino hospitality. That I prove when I decide to stay in maribago Bluewater Beach resort in cebu. This resort is considered to be a 3-star resort but for me they're more than that. SOme negative comments are displayed on this site but for you to find out, you have to stay at their resort first. I'll assure you, you'll memories with Bluewater will be as precious as mine and my family. I will not keep on coming for this resort if not for the exemplary service they give out towards their patrons. Thank you Bluewater for serving us!

Room Tip: prefer the garden view if you want a little privacy..
2  Thank Tony E
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Buyer beware. Got a free upgrade on check-in. Room needed towels, amenities, working AC. Oh, and working room phone so you could call the front desk to ask for these items. I was there for 2 nights and did not want to wait for someone to come and fix these things. I wanted to take advantage of the resort. Called to staff around pool for assistance without success, it wasn't their responsibility. Finally called on cell to front desk for help. They sent 2 staff, at 2 separate times to insult my intelligence about how simple the phone was to use. The 3rd said the phone could not be fixed. The manager, a young man not suited to problems, absolutely insisted that we move to an upgrade suite. I absolutely refused when he could not confirm that he had personally inspected the room and all working and stocked as it should be. I also did not want to spend the time to check all this my self when I was there for a short stay. The pool staff was clearly doing what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it. I took a picture of the pool staff and from that point I was concerned about them. They were not paying attention to the guests at the pool or towel needs. One 'clean' towel had a glob of something in the middle. Totally disgusting. Was supposed to get a free lunch the second day for 2 people, but was charged for it. Will follow-up with dispute to Visa. I do not want to deal with these people at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Tony G
Reviewed 9 July 2013

As a new resident to Cebu it was difficult finding a local beach in Mactan that is open to the public. So we frequent the resorts in Mactan and pay for the day trips to use their facilities. It averages between P1700-3500 per person and usually includes a lunch at one of their restaurants. We decided to try out a new resort, one that I've visited back in 2007. It wasn't a busy weekend so I booked a "run of the house" room through agoda.com at P5900 a night. The room was located in their garden side close to a pool with a waterslide for the kids. The room had 2 double beds, was spacious enough for our luggage, had a bathtub and an outdoor patio table. The resort was expansive and had a 24 hour restaurant, access to a private beach/lagoon and 2 other restaurants over the water. The lagoon was nice in the morning, but the water begins to recede around 1PM. By 4PM there wasn't any water to really wade in. The view to the ocean was blocked by the man made island across the lagoon, but there are many aqua activities you can do outside of the resort. It was a very relaxing atmosphere and the staff was nice and accommodating. Breakfast buffet was very standard and the food was average. The facilities were clean and well taken care of. The atmosphere was relaxing and we enjoyed our time. I would recommend taking advantage of the lagoon early in the day then moving to the pools in the late afternoons. The place is great for kids because they had areas at the pools for small children, lots of kid activities around the resort, and when the water recedes there are so many marine life left to see in the low tide such as sea shells, star fish, sea urchins, small fish, and crabs.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CrizM
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Quick swim in the morning.lunch.played in the kid's room as well as the outdoor playground.fedthe fish at 4pm.had fun at the beach making sand castles.while the staff were visible and always ready to assist,the resort was full of activities for me and my son.to my son,i'm officially the coolest mom ever!thanks bluewater maribago.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Before I start my review, I would like to make a comment to the manager that responds to the comments. One of your replies said they you disagree with the statement that Koreans are treated better than other guests (the guest said she felt like 2nd class) and that you provide training to ensure all guest are treated equal. Well, sir, if that is true, you either need to get some better training material or you need to have a refresher training. As for Koreans in general, they are very rude. A couple of examples: there were several groups of people waiting for a table in the AC portion of Allegro at breakfast buffet. We waited patiently. First one group of Koreans arrived, walked in to the restaurant, found an empty table, grabbed a waiter and had them clear the table for them. Before any of the groups that were waiting could get a table, a group of 6 Koreans did the same thing. They actually took a table for 4, had it cleaned and went outside to get more chairs so 6 could fit. I don't blame the Koreans for the behavior, thou it is very rude, but not one member of your staff said a word or did anything about it. When I approached the hostess and asked what was the deal, she smiled, shrugged and said we were next. Her name is AJ. Your staff has either been trained to accept the bad behavior or to avoid confrontation. Want a couple more examples? The Korean kids that came from out of the pool and into the AC portion of the restaurant, still dripping water as they walked the place, got food and sat down. One kid went to the buffet, picked up some piece of fruit, took a bite and put it back. One of the staff saw him do it and went to pick up the fruit. Nothing was said to the kid or the parent that was with him. I am American and my wife is Filipina. When my wife was walking with me, every staff member was polite and said good morning sir and ma'am. When she was by herself or with her sisters, she was ignored. Which is too bad cause she is the one that picked this resort and the one that paid for all 4 rooms and all food. I don't care if anyone ever tells me good morning, but it matters to her. You say everyone is treated equal but your staff shows that is not the case.

We arrived at 2pm for a 2pm check-in. It is a short trip from the airport, but we were coming from another hotel near Ayala, so more than an hour's drive. The lobby is open, so no AC and 2pm is the hottest time of the day. We were told that our room was not available yet, to have a seat and wait awhile. When I asked how long, they said "awhile". The welcome drink advertised was no where to be found, so after asking, we got one. We waited about 10 minutes and approached the desk again. I asked if our room was non smoking. She said no. I pulled out the description of the room, showed her it was non smoking. She got another guy (maybe manager?) and showed him our paperwork. He upgraded us to a spa room. On another reply to another comment, the manager said that their website clearly states that just the spa rooms are non smoking. That might be the case, but their business partners that book rooms for them, clearly state non smoking. Print that before you go and show them if they try to give you a smoking room. When we got to the room, it is clearly old school, but it is nice. Once we got the centipede from the bathtub, we were good to go. It will take you a bit to get used to showering outside and without an enclosure. It is private to your room, but open to your bathroom. Another thing to get used to is that even though it is non smoking, other guests will stand in front of your door and smoke. Our room was next to a gazebo, so that seemed to be the smokers corner. And free wifi in the room. It is free because is doesn't work. We had to go to the juice bar (also no ac) to use the internet. We called the front desk and they said they were working on it. Seems that is also part of their training.

Some complain the pools were dirty with leaves. that is because of all the shade trees. They clean the pools daily. More you should complain about all the kids in the pools. Swimming in their pee and the infants? Lord only knows how many poo while in the pool. Too bad one of the 3 pools can't be designated adults only, at least for a few hours. Hard to believe the spa pool can't do that. The beach is nice. They groom and move around the sand each night, so it is ready to go each morning. No special events were held while we were using the beach, so no issues about it being crowded.

People complain about the food being expensive. It is. But no more than other resorts. A canned soda is just over $3us. My wife and I ate at the seafood restaurant. We paid 3000PHP for dinner for 2. Is that too much? For some, maybe. But, it was dark, romantic, we were the only ones there. We picked our fresh (still alive) seafood and had a nice meal. For us, worth every penny. Breakfast buffet was average and usually full of guests. Lunch and dinner, the restaurants were very quiet. We had a Friday, all you can eat seafood buffet dinner. It was very good. There are restaurants all around that area. Not the greatest neighborhood to be walking around in, but for a buck you can get a taxi. There are also signs that say you cannot bring food in, but it was not being enforced. Most evident but all the Koreans sitting on their patio eating cups of noodles. Nothing was said.

All in all, I liked the resort and will probably go back. The one true disaster of this place is the check out. We called for baggage assistance. They said they would be a couple of minutes. About a minute later, there was a knock on the door. The guy said he was there to check the room. Ok. he went through all the drawers, the fridge, mini bar, everything. I asked if everything was fine. No answer. 3 times I had to ask before he mumbled a yes as he was leaving. The guy arrived and we took the luggage to the lobby. We are going to the airport. Both wife and I dressed nice for our travel. Again with the "wait awhile". After 10 minutes, I went back up and asked what was the problem. She said waiting for someone to check the room. I said someone has already checked the room. She just ignored me. I asked if she heard me. She said yes, but waiting for someone to check the room. 25 minutes to get checked out. Hair and shirt totally wet from sweat. So much for looking nice on our 13 hour flight. It is ok to have 1970's style resort, but move that lobby into the 21st century.

Room Tip: get a spa room. you really don't want one near the beach as the private parties can get noisy.
12  Thank carrot_fixer
Reviewed 12 June 2013

When we got to the reception area, I was being asked for a FULL payment (which was FULLY PAID) before we travelled.
The ANUMA Spa suite room's air-conditioning not working and when we called the reception they said "is it ok for you to stay there?" What a STUPID question to ask. No person in his right mind even without kids travelling with them would stay in a very uncomfortable room! They offered to upgrade us to a beach room after an hour and a half.
Rooms were not cleaned after 6 hours of advise.
Overall, SERVICE sucks! From the waiters, frontdesk clerks - very inattentive and inconsiderate!
I will not recommend staying here especially when you have kids travelling with you.

Room Tip: Get the beach rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
#16 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
#12 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!