“rustic and pampering but not for the solo traveler”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
dnpinva
“rustic and pampering but not for the solo traveler”
Reviewed 23 March 2010

This hotel has an amazing spa and gorgeous grounds. The pools are inviting. The staff was a delight. The rooms are rustic and the al fresco bathrooms are a really unique experience -- and gorgeous. The rooms themselves could use an updating with more modern features. The food is pretty good, but choices are quite limited. There is not much to wander to off the property, so I'd recommend booking this hotel if all you want is a resort experience. The beach is far more beautiful in the pictures. It's actually more of a lagoon with some pretty sand. The island across the lagoon that you can wade to is not very impressive, once you're there. I would recommend choosing Borocay over Mactan Island, unless you are solely looking for a resort atmosphere and watersports. Overall, I'd recommend the hotel but not necessarily the location. I would also not recommend this hotel for solo travelers. It is more appropriate for quiet groups or couples. It is difficult to meet people here.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank dnpinva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Let me say that my stay at Blue water resort was a couple of months ago. However we did stay for a total of 13 days and we enjoyed our stay at this resort.

It is a sort of small resort. We stayed in the amuma suite, I don't recall the room number. The room was a very good size room with 2 full size beds.

The front desk staff was very sweet and friendly. No issues checking in our out. As soon as we approached the front desk we were greeted with cool wash cloths and a sweet mint tea. Very nice touch. We were given 2 free 15 minute massage vouchers at the spa. The key is attached to a cumbersome piece of wood though. One previous reviewer noted it is hard to lose! Hahaha! Yes I imagine that is true.

We were escorted to our room via golf cart and instructed on how to use the devices i.e air conditoner, TV and mini bar. One thing about the room that was relatively unpleasant is the salty water from the faucet, although the resort 2 bottles of spring water so you can brush your teeth with having a salty taste. The bathroom was really large with 2 large closets to hang up clothes. The resort offers laundry service which we used a few times because we opted to travel as lightly as possible for our 13 days. The laundry service was perfect and even included and hand written thank you card from staff, a very nice personal touch. The price of the laundry i felt was extremely reasonable and the clothes were all neatly pressed, on hangers, and delivered to our room while we were out. Very unobtrusive staff. We were on the ground level and you can hear people walking and talking very clearly. It wasn't really a problem, but it was not very quiet. The shower was really nice. It is one of those rainfall showerheads. The flooring in the shower is small stones. We liked that the shower was outside in the open air. You are not exposed at all. The shower area is at the back of the resort and there is a wall and trees give seclusion. The air conditioner worked very well. Thank God! It was really hot outside lol.

They have a policy of asking you to stop by the front desk to pay off your bill everytime your account reaches 20,000 pesos, which is like every other day. I guess I understand why they do it, but perhaps there is a better way of doing it instead of having to stop by the front desk every other day to payoff the balance of the bill.

On one day my gf was ill and i asked the front desk if they could call a doctor to give my gf medical attention. They informed me that they have a nurse on the property and that she would stop by the room and attend to her. It turned out that it was a lady who worked at the front desk. Initially I thought "huh?" but she was very competent and even offered some tablets to ease her discomfort, which we accepted. The whole incident was evidence in how much the resort staff care about guests. They easily could have not been bothered and just called a doctor.

I don't really know what other TA reviewers thought was low quality about the food. I am a chef at a pretty high end restaurant in NYC and I thought the food, while not world class cuisine, was very good. Of course you must understand that the clientele there seems to be either Korean or Japanese, so the cuisine reflects that. The breakfast buffet was bountiful. Lots of choices including omelletes, bacon, sausages, sushi, oatmeal, pastries and juices, coffee, tea, etc. The servers were extremely nice to us. Always offering us a refill of our beverage and asking us how our trip was going. Considering what it would cost for a comparable breakfast, it makes the cost of a nights stay at the resort worthwhile. We did manage to eat a few times outside the resort and , although the prices were cheaper, the environs did not inspire so much confidence of a great meal. We did order room service a few times. Everything we ordered was great. The cove restaurant was fantastic. It is true that for the philippines it is expensive, but the quality was really superb in my opinion. We also had cocktails at the adjoining bar which were well prepared. The sand bag chairs, while not extremely comfortable, did add to a very relaxed atmosphere. Sipping a cool drink, playing a board game while the sun sets over the water. A very romantic, idyllic scene. The night we arrived we were treated to a theme dinner. It was an Oktoberfest theme dinner. Not like Munich, but still a very interesting way to settle in after a very long trip. Each night at dinner there was live music at the Italian restaurant. Filipinos are very good musicians/lyricists in general and the bands were a pleasure to listen to.

The pool, gym and spa are so close to these rooms in the amuma suite section that it makes it extremely accesible. The beach was very small and man made. It wasn't really what we wanted, so we just hung out by the pool near the room. We did enjoy the jetskis though on one occasion. I understand that the resort needs to have a lifeguard on duty at all times, but I would have liked to take a dip in the pool at night. The resort does not allow guests to enter the pool after 8pm or before 8am. 8pm is a bit early I feel to close the pool. There is a small jacuzzi in a secluded spot right near the room we stayed, but its not free.

The spa is one of the highlights of the resort we feel. The spa treatments, while not cheap, are really excellent and well worth the money. They truly pamper you and want you to be in total comfort. They succeed. Total relaxation!

The staff at the resort are top notch. They made our stay completely and positively memorable. The small shark pool was interesting. The native style theme was really cool. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisD1976
Singapore
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed at the Maribago Bluewater to explore the city of Cebu (not for the beach) and booked the hotel through Asiarooms.com which gives you the guarantee to have the lowest prices available for your choosen hotel. We were soon to find out that this was not true. Our booking included nothing but the breakfast. As we arrived at the airport in Cebu first thing we found was a flyer announcing a package rate for the Maribago including airport transfer, spa samplers and theme dinner every night of your stay. The price for this package was 12% below the hefty price we paid for the Asiarooms booking just including breakfast. When we arrived in the hotel we were trying to switch our package to their package. After discussing a lot and being lied to ("this rate is for walk in guests only", but the flyer stated clearly that there is a booking required), staff tried to get hold of the reservations manager. She was not to find anywhere, but we were promised that she would come back to us. The room we had was close to the beach in a little bungalow, but it was old, with mildew in the shower, very old and brownish bed linen and a not properly functioning aircon. The restaurants are very expensive, the food okay. Of course, the reservations manager did not come back to us, so we inquired again before dinner, as we did not want to pay over a thousand pesos each for the theme dinner. After half an hour one of the staff was able to get hold of the reservations manager at the phone. She told us the same lies (even stating that this offer was only available until the end of March, although the package is valid until the end of this year) and after discussing for some time she said she will come back to us after talking to the manager. She never did during our 3-day- stay....
The "beach" is not bad to look at, but was quite noisy, because there was a function one evening and they were playing loud music (not during the function though, but while staff assembling and disassembling the tent). But worse is that they let non-guests stay at the beach for a fee, so the rare shadow gets taken up by the outside guests. At the pool there is no shadow (no umbrellas). The porter tried to lure us into a hotel car and told us, there would be no taxi on the street, so we just walked out and took one of the four taxis waiting there...
All in all a very disappointing experience, we will follow up with AsiaRooms...

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Philippines
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This will be our first time to go to the beach resorts in Cebu. We planned our vacation for a week, but given the Chinese New Year, the resort was relatively booked so we were able to stay for the 1st 3days of our vacation and then had to transfer to another resort (check out my review for Alegre Beach Resort).

Prior to any place I plan to go out on, I make it a point to check out the resort website and whatever reviews I can view over the internet. Here's my review from point of Reservation to Check-out:

Reservations/Inquiry: Maribago Bluewater has a website, informative enough to give you an overview of the resort. But then, I still checked out reviews on the resort so I know what the resort is like in the view of other people. I started off with an email inquiry to the Manila Sales Office to inquire on available schedule and package. The Manila office was prompt to reply on my emails. I also took to calling up the Manila Reservations office to clarify some items on the package and their Reservations Officer is polite and courteous in taking my calls and inquiries. Suffice to say I was able to finalize my booking with Maribago without issues. Maribago had a promo package that I availed which includes buffet breakfast and theme dinner. You'll have to issue a downpayment to confirm your booking; I did this thru a bank deposit. Afterwhich, the Manila Sales Office will send you a confirmation voucher via email which you need to present at the resort. Few days before our scheduled trip I issued another call to the Manila Sales office to confirm if all the arrangements are okay and I was assured everything is settled.
My Rating: Very Good!

Checkin at Resort: Upon arrival at the Cebu Airport, we proceeded to the lobby area where resort reps are waiting for their guests. We approached the man holding-up the Maribago signage at a desk counter along with the other resorts. I gave my name and inquired about our airport transfer to the resort. Surprisingly, the man said there were no airport pickup scheduled for us! (Things like this gets my blood rushing for a debate) But I didn't lose my cool because I definitely know airport transfers are included in our package and I have the confirmation voucher prove it! So I showed the voucher to the airport rep; which the man said was a good thing that I have brought given instances such as this. Nonetheless, the man was quick to attend ot us and helped us get our ride to the resort. The man got us airport taxi to drive us to the resort, charged to the resort.
It was a quick drive, I think about 15-30mins from the airport. We got to the resort early for checkin given our early flight. I went to the front desk, showed my voucher and requested for a beachfront room. Our room was not yet available that time and we were advised to check back by 330pm. We had our lunch and afterwards headed back to the reception lobby to sit-out the wait. I approached the frontdesk around 230pm to check if the room was ready and was advised it was available already. Geez, if it was ready earlier, I'd apprecciate if they ccould have told us since we're just sitting out in the lobby. Okay, so finally, we were given our room key and a bell service helped us to our room.
My rating: Disappointing - guest pickup should not be an item missed out; it shows how poor the communication and coordination between Manila & Cebu offices are. Although it was easily resolved and handled, still, its an oversight that leaves an impression.

Room/Accomodation: The room is cozy enough and yes, its clean! The A/C is strong and the beds are comfy. There's cable TV and minibar. The telphone is well marked on numbers you need to call for anything you need in the resort. There's also complimentary bottled water which is replenished every day. For the bathroom, its spacious and clean. The tub is showing some age, but still intact. The cabinet below the lavatory got rusty hinges (probably due to age also). The shower needs an improvement though, the water comes out in thin sprays, takes a while to get the shampoo off. But the water is strong, no question about it. Its just the shower head I'm concerned with. The water there is also salty so everytime I brush my teeth I mix mouthwash with the water. Hot/cold water is easy to come, no need to wait long for the water to get hot. The room includes rubber slippers which you can use inside the room or at the beach! I think that's really nice! Housekeeping is no worries, because they do cleanup regularly and replenish the toiletries everyday.
My Rating: Good

Food: We had buffet breakfast and theme dinners. Buffet breakfast is great, they have a good selection of breads and menu is relatively extensive enough. During our stay, it didn't have much variety from the previous days, but since we couldn't eat that much every morning anyways, its still a good spread. Our first theme dinner was set menu, while the 2 succeeding ones are buffet. The resort also takes effort in shifting breakfast and dinner buffet venues. All were great! For me, all thumbs up for the food! Sidenote: food is rather expensive (which probably goes the same for all resorts).
My Rating: Taste-Excellent!

Beach/Pool/Resort Facilities: Can't say much for the other facilitites since we didn't try any. The beach is ok, don't expect something like a real beach like Boracay or Bohol where the sea is endless. But just the same, its okay if you want something other that the swimming pool. The Swimmng pool is also okay, its right beside the restaurant.
BTW, they charge for the beach towels so think twice if you request for one. They also have a gift shop but not that much things to buy. The resort itself is well-maintained, with lots of trees giving good shade.
My Rating: Good

Entertainment: For dinner, they have singers come in to serenade the guests. On our last day, we were able to get to see a firedance, and it ws really fun to watch! I did enjoy the other dances too.
My Rating: Very good

Service/Staff: I can say that ALL resort staff are attentive and courteous. The staff greet you everytime they see you roam about the resort which is such a good gesture.
My Rating: Very Good

Check-out: Checkout was fast. I had another incident on checkout when the resort still charged me for the whole 3 days we stayed at the resort (I already issued downpayment for 1 night stay via Manila Sales Office). I was already out of the resort and on my way to Alegre when it occured to me that I was charged for 3 days. Probably my fault also for not going thru the detailsf the account statement, but I the statement did say my final bill was only for 2 days. Anyways, I called the resort to clear out the problem. The cashier did admit this as an oversight again on their part as they didn't take into account the DP I made. The cashier advised me that they will reverse the charges and post the correct amount. They faxed me a copy of the reversals/posting the same day.
My rating: Disappointed - well, I may also be at fault for not going thru the review of my bill, but really, these kind of things should be seamless at the resort already.

In summary, I can still say I had a pleasant stay at the resort. Aside from the foul-ups in check-in and checkout, Maribago is a good venue to relax and bring the family.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anadee
manchester
Reviewed 20 February 2010

The hotel has great pools and lovely beach.
Rooms are ok, bath not the best.....but no problem!
Breakfast was good.
If you are going to book watersports/island hopping then make sure you go to the desk on the left of the beach. As there is canvasers walking around the beach in white uniforms(which we presumed worked for the hotel.....well they dont!) DONT book trips with them....yes they are a few dollars cheaper, but its not worth it. The jetski they tried to make us take didnt even work, then the island hopping trip...well they said everything was included but everytime we arrived at an island they wanted us to pay more entrance fees. We later spoke to the maribago waterports guys and they told us this is there scam!
Definatley do an island hopping trip tho, the snorkelling was fab and islands are really beautiful.
The food by the pool was great, also the italian restaurant was tasty too!
Overall i liked the hotel, the staff was very helpful and loved the grounds.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rach25
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I travel with my wife for 4nights, I really recommend all my friend to visit there in Cebu. The room rate is good deal (USD86.48 per night for the standard deluxe). Although the room condition is not excellent(Little old) but still good enough. The hotel environment is wonderful and relaxing. There is 3 swimming pools with natural environment( Trees and plants). The sea water is clear and beach is acceptable. I try all three restaurants that overall is good quality and clean. The price is acceptable. The cafe provides a free Wifi internet. There is bar nearby the beach on top of the sea which is very beautiful. There is a lot of tree and plants around and between the resorts. My most favor is the fish pool, there is two pool with many fish and baby sharks. The hotel general manager is very kind person, he is respecting all his cutomers sincerely. My wife hurt the leg as accident, he approached us directly and offered many convenience to us. I think that is the most excellent customer services.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith223
clifton
Reviewed 28 January 2010

A friend recommended Maribago Bluewater Resort last year when I mentioned I wanted to go to Cebu. I checked out the reviews from Trip advisor and decided that i will give it a try. I decided to book it through Orbitz after using the fare search tool of trip advisor. I booked the Anuma spa room for about $106 plus taxes and fees. I booked the flight from Manila to cebu separately through Cebuair pacific. The day we arrived was at the height of the Sinulog Festival so the airfare was more expensive. $175 round trip per person. Upon arriving at the Mactan airport, cabs were scarce (may be because of the festival??) I found out that Yellow airport cabs cost double even if they pull the meter down. Traditionally it would cost PHP40 upfront then PHP4 per 300 meters for a metered (non yellow) cab ride. the yellow taxi i found out would cost PHP70 upfront and PHP10 per 300 meters. If you insist on getting a white cab go up the stairs to the level of the arrival area and get a taxi where most of the local get a cab. there is a line and you can choose to decline the yellow cab if you want. We took the yellow cab and it cost us PHP175 from the airport to the Resort.

Upon arriving at the resort, the staff will hand you the plate number and name of the cab you just boarded, just in case you left an important article in the cab, you can trace it through that little piece of paper. That is true for all the cabs that enter the resort.

The lobby is a large gazebo in front of the massive wooden gate of the resort. It has an open layout with numerous large sofas. Often these sofas are occupied by guests who have just arrived waiting for their rooms or who are waiting to be shuttled someplace else. They don't have a designated smoking area, so you might find yourself sitting in a very smoky section, even though it is open.

The front desk staff will give you a cool drink and cool towel upon check in. the process was smooth and uneventful. they will hand you a map of the resort and your key The room key is attached to a very large key chair akin to a fat wallet and is very cumbersome to put in a pocket but is very difficult to lose. Our room is the Anuma Spa suite. the suites are situated closest to the gate. if you happen to be assigned to the row of rooms near the front wall you might actually hear the traffic outside. Don't pick room 349 or 345. it is closest to the front gate. Our room is 310. directly across the open spa lounge on the second floor. There are only two rooms per stairway so you won't get a lot of traffic. Nice! The room has a long open lay out. The sheets are adequate but not new. We got two queen size beds in the room so i just used the sheets of the other bed to double up at night. the AC was strong and quiet. Enough for our needs. There is a 110V outlet in the bathroom. the rest are 220V. The TV is flat screen but small (about 20 inches), they have HBO and star TV... they have the amenities one would usually find in a four star hotel, Full fridge, hair dryer, toothbrush and toothpaste. they also have a his and hers flip flops.

Towels are limited. they will not give you extra, they will only exchange the used ones. I brought my own beach towels but I saw several guests using blue towels by the pool. (blue for the poolside, white for your room)

The pool is large but does not have enough pool side chairs so get there early. Ther are three large pools, so if you don't get a place by this pool , you can always get a spot at the other pools.

The Anuma Spa suites are the farthest from the buffet but the closest to the lobby/ gate.
the Garden Suites is close to the buffet. Their pool is somewhat elevated a few feet in a neatly manucured garden. Nice.

The Bungalows are the closest to the beach and farthest from the lobby. There are a few golf carts that shuttles the guests to and from their rooms, but it is actually a nice walk. the weather in January was a mixed bag. The first day I got there it rained off and on for three days. Our room has two umbrellas.

The food at the COve was excellent and about the average price of a nice meal here in the States. Try the pork chops, it was excellent. The seafood Jambalaya was good too but they used coconut milk which later did not agree with me. I forgot that coconut is a natural laxative. Hmmm. The cove have their own tank of live seafood which they harvest from once you order so you kow your meal is fresh. We ate at the Maribago Grill, a walking distance from the gate of the resort, and was satisfied with the food. You eat inside an open hut so you still get the mosquito at nite and the flies during the day. Again, you'll discover that it is island wide and nothing can be done about it short of spraying the place with insect spray.. Another place where you can go is the Reijin Island bar and grill. much further than the Maribago Grill but you can stay inside the restaurant and not be bothered by the flies and mosquito. The decor of the palce is tacky but the food is decent.

The statue pf LapuLapu is a jeepney ride way (about PHP7) per person. a historic site for the island.

The island of Bohol is a day trip you can book through the fron desk it would cost you about PHP 3000 to PHP 4000.

The Aquamania is their water sports store. I booked a I day scuba dive for my husband and he was very satisfied with the service. He had a one on one instruction which included two Dives. Look for Nelson when you get there. He let me borrow his camera cover since we have the same camera so my husband was able to take some nice underwater shots.

The beach in the resort was like what other reviews said. it was not meant for swimming. I don't like salt water anyway so this was no issue for me. i just like the shore.
There is internet access (wi-fi) in certain areas of the resort, but you could also use a computer at the gift shop to check you email and post pictures at facebook.

The buffet have enough food for everybody and enough seats for everybody. The flies however are equally numerous BUT it is true all over the island not just in the resort. Most of the guest at the resort are Filipinos, Koreans and Japanese, and it reflects on the food selection. There is steamed buns, sushi rolls, congee, dried fried fish to name a few. BUT they also have american fare like omelet and toast and fresh fruit and cereal. (no oatmeal though).

I did not try their spa services but i looked at the price and it is slightly inexpensive than a 90-min massage here in the States. I think it was $70 inclusive of the use of the steam bath and jacuzzi. There is a massage place just outside of the resort but it pales compared to the ambiance of the Anuma spa, although it was considerably more inexpensive (about $20 for 60 minutes. )

The best thing about this place is the scuba dive for my husband, the food at the Cove, the breakfast buffet and seclusion of the place.

The least best thing is the island is about 30-45 minutes away from the city proper so going out at night is limited. Also the pool is closed between 8pm and 8am.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#13 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands at Maribago Beach

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!