“Great value for money”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore, Singapore
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

- Very friendly and helpful staff
- Beautifully lush garden setting
- Fantastic sea-food restaurant (food, staff and location 'out' on the sea)
- Spacious rooms with quite unique bathrooms
- 3 very nice pool areas

My family and I spent 5 wonderful days in this resort. We enjoyed the three different pool areas, the hospitality and the great food in this beautifully situated sea-food restaurant.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank PatrickB02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

I'm just back from a sun and beach week end in Cebu.
My companion and I are used to travel for short week end.
we been in Maribago Resort in Cebu and we are quite disappointed. we choose a spa suite and we arrived Friday at 8.00 pm, they show us a very bad room with broken walls and mud spots on the floor, the room was very smelly and noisy since is very close to the street. we ask to change room and they propose an upgrade for 2,000 pesos per night. since we choose the spa room and for it we paid more, we were not expecting to pay more! we ask to have a look to another spa room and the one the show us was better so I am wondering why they show us first the worst room? at the end we choose to upgrade the room at our own cost since we wanted to have a nice stay for our anniversary. moreover we have been pushed on buying things at very high price for all the stay (island tours for 5,000 pesos with not even a bottle of water included, buffet' dinner for 1,500 pesos per person, sky diving for 2,500 pesos per person for 15 minutes at last a taxi -found by the hotel- that refuse to set the meter and asks 250 pesos for the raid to the airport) the impression we got is that they tried to make the more money as they could from the "chicken tourists" and it was not pleasant!!
is not the first time that we stay in Cebu and we highly recommend you to stay somewhere else! they even make us insist to have a late check out at 2,00 pm on Sunday saying that they were full (and they were not). I consider this to be a very bad service not really on the Asian standard I am used to.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AgataHK
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

RM #214 - GARDEN WING: Our stay at the Maribago Bluewater Beach Resort was part of a package that included return PAL flights, airport transfers, daily buffet breakfast, a 15-minute massage sampler. It was a great package deal from www.specialistholidays.com.au! Upon our arrival in Cebu at almost 8pm, don't be alarmed if you don't see anyone holding up a sign for 'Maribago' as you enter the baggage claim area. Our driver was waiting for us with a sign just outside the exit where all passengers come out. The resort was about 20 yrs old but very cozy & not one of those 'snobbish' resorts. It was a villa type with 4 units--2 below & 2 above. Some sections of the resort have been renovated or newly added on from what we were told, although our room could really use refurbishing--it felt & smelled old, but needless to say, it was reasonably clean & the beddings were quite comfortable. One thing we noticed--the water coming out of the shower was salty. It didn't leave you feeling sticky or anything so no drama. This resort's location--a 'hidden gem'--you drive through these guarded big wooden gates and there you are! People from the outside can't see what's going on inside the resort, so it's very private. Buffet breakfast was great with so much to choose from and you walk away satisfied! Pastries, fresh juices, hot food, all sorts to cater to any culture. Staff were always ready to help, very courteous and pleasant, always with a greeting and/or a smile. This resort is perfect for families with children. There's the beach, which we didn't really use; however, there are at least 3 big pools from memory. The free 15-minute massage sampler was great, which turned out to be a 30-minute session for me! If you want more such as a full body spa massage, as you step right outside the gates of the resort, literally just few steps away, is a Thai Massage place which charges less than AUD10 for a full hour massage. It's a proper spa so don't get turned off by the location. Hotel charges a lot more for the same service. The resort offers a free shuttle Mon-Wed-Fri to either SM or Ayala shopping centers in the city. We did a daytrip to Bohol and availed of the car transport service that the resort provided. From there to the port where we caught the ferry was about AUD $15 oneway. Very reasonable & come pick-up time from the port, our nice driver Bob was already there & waiting. Yes, there are other bigger & newer resorts in the area & Maribago may be older, but it's nice & cozy with a great staff! It's like a smaller & older version of Plantation Bay Resort. Would definitely go back again for those reasons!

3 Thank MyShodi
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite which was huge & had a nice large bathroom. The bathroom was kind of outside with a separate area for the bathtub & outside-style shower made of stone with a waterfall-type showerhead. The ground was covered in stones & we loved it...AT FIRST. The truth is its a really cool concept, but not well thought out. It is always wet & smells mildewy as well as it being a great place for mosquitos to live & easily enter the room! On top of that, there are no screens on the doors or windows (if you're lucky enough to get one) so theres no ventilation in the room (can't leave door/window open & no ceiling fans).

They have a private beach with a cute little manmade island just a short boat ride across the lagoon...very cool, but prepare for mosquitos & red ants!. The beach bar is nice, friendly & they make a great mojito. They have 3 great pools, a nice gym with a sauna & spa, a juice bar, 2 restaurants with a great breakfast buffet...lots of variety.
The front desk staff can be condescending when asked to deal with a hotel issue, but the service & security staff are very friendly & glad to help of give advice, even if its about how to get around outside of the resort grounds.

We enjoyed the local area in the evening by tricycle. The neighborhood that surrounds the resort is very urban...lots of people out in the streets, street food, venders, outdoor produce market, tons of vehicles honking & swerving, lots of energy!
You definitely have to be a fan of this type of thing and go out there with confidence & some good advice or you will get "duped"!
It's fun & exciting but if you're not ready for an adventure, stay inside the resort gates! :)

All in all its a nice property and we did enjoy it, as long as we were outside of our room.
For the amount that we paid...I'd say it wasn't worth it.

2 Thank Dahlface
Highland Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Maribago Blue Water Beach Resort: We stayed at this resort for 3 nights, after staying at the Marriott for 3 nights. The taxi ride over to the resort was a fun ride, Philippine taxi drivers are out of their minds, but the ride was fun! No deaths occurred.

Security: The taxi was stopped at the front gate of the resort for inspection by the Maribago security staff. We were cleared and directed to the check-in pavilion. We were greeted by the reception staff, our bags were removed from the taxi and we were directed to the check-in desk. Everyone was very friendly and treated us like royalty. Check-in was quick and our luggage was placed on a golf-cart for the drive over to our Amuma Spa Suite. It was a quick ride and our driver delivered our bags to our 2nd level suite.

The Amuma Spa Suite: Check out this suite on the Maribago website. The description is very accurate. I read many reviews about this resort, and the bad reviews were all false. This resort and the Amuma spa are very nice. I will admit that upon my arrival to our room, I was very concerned with the Air-con. I turned on the Air-con while the bellman was still in our room. The unit was very quiet and didn’t seem to be blowing out much air. I informed our bellman, and he assured me to just give it about 10 minutes and all will be fine. I absolutely hate to be in a room and not feel cool enough, so I closed the balcony doors and the bathroom doors. And sure enough in 10 minutes our room was ice cold. And at night, I would wake up and turn off the Air-con because the room was really icy then. I was too sleepy to search for the temperature control button on the remote, and it was easier to just hit the off button. So don’t worry, the Air-con unit works great!

3 Sections: The Amuma Spa Suite is comprised of 3 sections. You have the bedroom section, the toilet & sink section, and the bath & shower section. All three sections are very roomy, I often wondered why so much room was allowed in the toilet & sink section (you will see what I am referring to if you book this suite). One bit of advice, make sure you wear your flip-flops in the toilet & sink section if the floor is wet. You will not want to slip and break your butt on the marble floor. I put an extra towel on the floor to soak up the water from exiting the shower. Also in this section you will find two open closet cabinets for hanging your clothes. In one of the cabinets you will also find two umbrellas to use while at the resort. You will also find 2 sets of flip flops to wear in the bottom of one of the cabinets.

Make sure your wear your flip-flops in the shower & tub section also. When you first step in to the tub section, you will walk on small loose rocks. They are not jagged, but not comfortable to walk on in bare feet. This area gives the illusion that you are bathing outside, but everything is enclosed, no worries. The shower floor is not rocky, it actually has a concrete slab to stand on. The water is hot, but the shower is not a spray. The shower water flows down from a wide spout like a water fall. The water feels heavy as it hits your body, this makes for a nice massage while showering. Our tub was filled with water and rose pedals upon our arrival. It was a very nice setting.

The bedroom area is very roomy and everything worked well. I read reviews that stated that the resort is old and in need of repair. Well ok, I observed a few cracks in the wall that needed to be filled and then repainted. These minor flaws in the walls in no-way caused my vacation to be anything less than fantastic. And just to let you know, I noticed a section of the resort that was closed off and under reconstruction. So hopefully the resort is in the process of remodeling all of their buildings. But over all, our room was great and it was so nice to sit out on our 2nd level balcony to relax. We had a room that had windows on the outer wall that was the stairway up to the 2nd level. There is a light in that stair way that would shine in our window at night. And there was a light at the top of the balcony stairs. If you want to sleep in total darkness, just go outside and you will find the switch on the wall to those lights. Don’t turn off these lights too early, because your neighbors might not be in their room yet. You don’t want them to climb the stairway in total darkness.

The Breakfast Buffet: My reservation here also included free breakfast buffet every morning. To help out the staff, make sure you sign your receipt at your table before you leave. The staff at the restaurant is great. I noticed that the restaurant staff served the entire dinning room, not just their assigned individual tables. Each waiter or waitress would stop by to remove a plate and ask us if we needed anything. And we were always greeted with a smile, and a thank you. While walking to breakfast every morning, everyone would always say “Good morning Ma’am, good morning Sir”. Even the construction workers that often passed by would greet us with the warmest good morning.

The Dinner Buffet Island Show: While walking to the beach, we saw the advertisement for the Dinner Buffet Island Show that night. Once again upon our arrival we were welcomed, seated, and treated like royalty. The food was absolutely fantastic. The buffet consisted of ….”Everything”, that’s all I can say. We finished our meal and enjoyed fresh fruit while the Island Show began. The show consisted of Hula Dancers and Men dressed in native attire spinning fire batons, all to great island music. Guests were invited to join the dancers to hula; we both chickened out. It was a really great time and I am glad that we did not go off property that night for dinner. The cost for two was $2751 pesos ($64 U.S.). It was such a great time there that we decide to eat dinner at the resort again. This time it was a Mexican themed buffet dinner with music; cost for two $2696 pesos.

Room Service: Room service at Maribago was great. I ordered drinks and for a late snack we ordered chicken & pork adobo. I appreciated that the drinks were covered while delivered along with the food. The service was quick and the food was really great. Our waiter informed us to just sit the tray on the table outside on our porch and he would collect it there. The cost for two meals and two drinks was $750.30 pesos ($17.45 U.S.).

The Beach: I read on-line in Maribago reviews that the beach there was not good for swimming. Well this is absolutely correct, however, it is not a fault of Maribago Resort. It is just Mother Nature at work. The water at the beach there has seaweed growing on the ocean floor. It darkens the water, and pieces of detached seaweed floats on the surface and then washes up on the beach. Don’t expect royal blue crystal clear ocean water like you will find in the Caribbean. This did not take away from our great vacation here, because Maribago has three large swimming pools on the property, and we swam and had a great time at the pools. While at the beach, one of the beach staff members did take us over to the additional little island in front of the beach and then he took us about 50 yards out in the ocean for a swim there.

The actual beach there at Maribago is very nice. The beach staff cleans the beach of seaweed every morning, and there was plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas while we were there. We did not take advantage of any water sports or island hopping tours. To the left of the beach is a building were you will find the beach staff who will provide you with all of your beach needs.

Then, just past that building, walk along the pier to the Oyster Bar. We had drinks there while sitting under the pavilion on bean bag seats. We played chess, as they have chess boards out on the tables. Two Tanduay with cola and one Mango drink was $219 pesos ($5 U.S.) It was a good time there.

Internet: Just past the check-in pavilion you will find the souvenir shop pavilion. Here you will find a computer that you can use to access the internet for free. There is a sign there that asks you to limit your time to 30 minutes. I did not notice if there was a printer available. Also at this pavilion, there is a little mini-bar with a bartender, a pool table, and a ping-pong table. We had a nice time here too.

The Big Key Ring: Upon check-in here we were not given a key card like most hotels. Instead we received an actual metal key attached to this huge key ring. The key ring is a wooden oval about 5.5 inches by 3 inches. It is about ½ inch thick and has your room number carved into it. It really was not a problem to carry around, but it just did not fit into a pocket as easily as a key card would have.

Overall experience: We loved this place! I booked the remaining final leg of my trip at The Crown Regency Towers, so we had to check out after 3 nights at Maribago. I recall the last morning of our stay when the reception manager greeted us as we left for breakfast. She was sincerely concerned about the enjoyment of our stay at Maribago. I ran out of great things to say to her about the resort, and I told here that we were regretfully checking our soon only because we were booking at another location.

I will definetly book here again, this place was great !!!

7 Thank Flynster
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Maribago for the first two nights of our honeymoon. We chose this place as a relaxing transition to get over jet lag before truly starting the trip. It was perfect for that! We dined on wonderful food, sat by the pool, and made use of the spa. We loved the Malakas at Maganda treatment. It was very relaxing and intimate - definitely recommended for honeymooners!

The resort is located on a small unimpressive beach on Mactan Island near the airport. If you're looking for an authentic Cebu experience and beach fun, then this is not your place. Although it suited our needs for the short stay, we were excited to get outside the confining walls of the resort and see the real Philippines.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank psmeier
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

I found this resort generally better than what I experienced at Costabella which is also in Mactan Island. I found it impossible as stated in one of the previous reviews below that the staff don't speak English fluently and didn't understand what the word "aquarium" means. For me I find them well trained enough and definitely could speak in Cebuano, Tagalog and of course English.

It's a good thing that we arrived during the lean season so it seems that we got the whole resort to ourselves. I found the staff to be welcoming and would be happy to serve you just to make your stay more enjoyable. I would recommend this resort to anyone who would like to stay in a mid-price resort in Mactan Island.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#14 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands at Maribago Beach

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!