“Overall service is better compared to The Farm”
Review of CHI, The Spa

CHI, The Spa
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went here last week to have the CHI Balance Massage. I have always been curious about the Chi Spa in Cebu Shangri-la Mactan (for the longest time) and was lucky to have had the opportunity to finally see the place for myself. The facilities are great and I found it more personalized as compared to The Farm in San Benito. The massage services from both Chi, The Spa in Cebu and The Farm in Batangas are great (I immediately fell asleep and had to be woken up after the massage was done, it was THAT relaxing). However, I would have to give the great overall service and warmth to Chi, The Spa in Cebu Shangri-La Mactan.

Each villa had its own private shower, changing room and massage room aside from the standard towels, slippers, etc. for each guest. They also offer several options in terms of refreshments or drinks (tea, juice, etc.) and I think theirs is one of the best and fresh calamansi juices that I've had.

We were also able to try some of their facilities like the vitality pool. The staff will also remind you that it's time for you to get out of the vitality pool when you finally have to get ready for your massage and go to your assigned villa.

Really had a great time, won't think twice going back for their massage again! :D Kudos to their wonderful staff! :D

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were newly weds staying at the Shangri-la Mactan and have heard so much about the Chi spa so I decided to make a booking for a couples massage for 10am. We arrived on time, but was told to wait so they could prepare (even tho we were the first booking). After around 15 minutes, the therapist told us to "Come, follow me". (not as warm a welcome as I would have liked but I may have been spoiled by some amazing spa experiences!) She led us to a private spa villa, which was lovely - the usual amenities were all there (robes, disposables, etc). The room also looked nice and in a Filipinana theme - hard woods, etc. My therapist was quite abrupt - I felt she was more concerned about the motions than making the experience relaxing. Anyway, that could all be due to personal preferences, HOWEVER - during our massage, one of the therapist's MOBILE PHONES RANG. It rang during the massage and had to be picked up and silenced. The therapist apologised. Really didn't expect that from a 5 star spa but we let it go. Then after around 10 minutes, ANOTHER MOBILE PHONE RANG! This was really unacceptable but seeing we were already well into the massage my partner and I just kept quiet. After the massage, I reported it in my comment card, and it has been around 1 month since we visited, and I have not heard back from them. So a case where negative feedback falls on deaf ears. Also to note, this couples massage did not come cheap. It was THE MOST EXPENSIVE massage out of all the other 5 star hotels in the Philippines. It was at least double the massage from the Peninsula and in my opinion, the service did not merit this price or their reputation as being one of the best in the Philippines. Visitors beware. I've been to some amazing spas in Bali, Fiji and the service was heaps much better than the service provided at The Chi spa.

11  Thank Lizzymckenzie
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Chi Spa in Cebu welcomes us for a variety of relaxing, zen activities. We were 3 to experience, my 2 daughters 25 y.o. & 16 y.o. and I, 2 of us leave in Japan and we are all travelling a lot in Asia and love massages...
The area, separate from the hotel is calm and elegantly decorated, asian style, but water ponds and fishes, outside garden and jacuzzi.
Welcome is warm, with a calamansi juice and an oshibori (cold napkin), smelling deliciously good.
Yoga class is enjoyable, soft yet demanding, in a fluid atmosphere, class is delivered in english. the program announces classe every morning at 7:30, but it was only one morning out of 2, maybe because the hotel was not full : just check before getting up at 7 to find a closed door!
Facial equalizing treatment is efficient, my two daugthers were looking relaxed, with fresh, pure and even skin.
I loved the Hilot body massage, starting by a banana leaf wrapp followed by a deep pressure oil massage, profoundly healing.
Softer massage, as the mystic river flowing massage are available as well, but it's less my style.
Good to know : come in advance at least 45 minutes, it will take you around 15 minutes for the welcoming ritual at your first visit, and you might appreciate to enjoying the sauna, hamman and jaccuzi before your treatment.
Great, but overpriced, around same price as Japan.... Isn't this a little too much?

5  Thank Stephanie D
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Chi is a great place to escape and relax.

1. The facilities are above average -- serene, not musty or degraded by the salty air. Treatments are done in private villas, and come with access to common areas for steam, sauna and open air pool swimming/jacuzzi.

2. The staff is polite -- not too chatty, never snooty. They just take you through the process efficiently and professionally. I could relax because my therapist seemed to know exactly what to do and what information to give me; when to quit the room; when to come in to help. It's not the sort of place where you see the staff just hanging out and they jump up when they see you or pretend you're not there until you speak up. Probably the thing that distinguishes Chi from other places.

3. The massage and milk bath were good. The therapist pays attention to preferences. They actually ask you in writing for directions prior to treatment so they don't check if it's okay after your treatment has started, and just at that point when you got yourself to relax.

Contact them to get treatment details and exact cost (with taxes).

Bring a swimsuit! They provide disposable underwear, rubber slippers and ponytail holders. There's soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, a hairdryer, towels and robes.

Enjoy!

1  Thank Jen L
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I never had body massages so efficient and relaxing anywhere else. After such experience, you fell rested like after a good night sleep and full of energy. Of course there is also the very beautiful garden, very nice spa facilities and the friendly staff but the best is really their massage technique. I could book this hotel just for the spa. I stayed there 4 days and went to the Spa twice.