“Way overpriced!”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 10 October 2007

We stayed at the JW Marriott Resort & Spa in Phuket, Thailand prior to our stay here. We paid roughly the same amount of money for the accommodations/ service but our experience with Plantation Bay is distressingly below par. Their rooms & facilities are truly showing their age, the lagoons a bit dirty with slimy moss in some areas and service too slow for comfort. I can't believe I paid close to $200/night for a room in the Philippines and get so little in return. I liken Plantation Bay to a provincial lass who thinks she's the best there is until she goes out to compete in the international arena & realizes that she's woefully inadequate. The tragedy here is that I don't think she realizes that. Come on, Plantation Bay, you gotta give your customers value for their money!

9  Thank travelwithgusto
There are newer reviews for Plantation Bay Resort And Spa

Reviewed 10 October 2007

Ok so I have been going to Cebu about every three to four months for the past 2 years and I have stayed in the city of Cebu and on Mactan Island. When I stay on Mactan Island I usually stay at Shangri La resort and I have always been very satisfied with the staff and the amenities it has always been a really good experience. Well this time I decided to try something new and stay at Plantation Bay resort and wow what a mistake. Ok this view of the grounds are ok and the restaurants very good, but that’s it. The rooms are severally out dated and the sea water lagoon is not filtered properly and smells at night. Me and my wife got several bug bites from the room and the service was poor from the staff. You are basically trapped in the resort as they have no shuttle to Cebu and if you want a taxi well sit and wait a while. They do have a car service however, but the cost is very expensive. And watch out if you go and use the sea toys like parasailing if you don’t read it correctly you can see charges that will blow your mind. Ok so here it is in a nut shell if you stay on Mactan Island stay at Shangri La that is in my opinion. By the way me and my wife stayed at Plantation Bay for 9 days only because we prepaid and we would not get any of our money back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank washingtonguy35
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I have made a reservation in this resort for my in-laws coming from Manila. The reservation officer Jovia Sitjar told me that a club room will accomodate 6 persons. But when I arrived there from the United States with my in-laws they told me another story. They will charge me 2 excess person each room where in fact I was told the room will accomodate 6. I demanded to speak to the manager but no solution was made. The reservations officer I have made the transaction never showed to the front lobby. This resort is DECEIVING its customers. DONT GO THERE!!!! THEY WILL RIP OFF YOUR MONEY!!!

Stayed: September 2007
10  Thank herbie888
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Reviewer: From Washington, DC, USA

My husband and I just returned from a three-week vacation in the Philippines. One of the places that we visited was Plantation Bay. Our only regret was we didn't have enough time to enjoy the place (what a beautiful place in Cebu City!). We only stayed there for one night then we had to leave early the following day to visit another tourist spot. The place is very conducive also to kids because it has a lot to offer even to children. Next time, we plan to take our son with us and maybe the whole family including nephews and nieces. Cebu City should be proud of what it has to offer especially to tourists.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DMCWashingtonDC
anjg, Sales Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2007

Dear Ms. DMC,

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad to know that you had a wonderful stay despite it was short. Truly, we are becoming to be a landmark of Cebu City plus the fact that it is 100% Filipino-owned and designed.

Please let us know should there be anything that we need to improve as through honest opinions that we can better improve our service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family soon!

Best regards,

Angela
Sales

Reviewed 11 September 2007

We were staying at Plantation Bay 2 times for one night each. Plantation Bay is a resort which overcomes many others in the same price and star class. It has very nice facilities, like swimming pools, salt water lagoons, etc. The entire area as also our “standard double room” was huge. We had 2 really big beds inside, a very nice and very clean bath with shower and sit-bath.
The staff are professional, very friendly, every time ready for giving you a hand. The area is beautiful arranged and everything is totally clean. We observed that the pools are cleaned during the night by two staff working the whole night.
This resort is perfect for staying even a long time and we were sad to leave every time so early in the morning.
Not so nice was that we booked via telephone for 118 US per night and get at the check out an additional Service Charge of 566 PHP and VAT 679 PHP. The resort is a little bit far away from the spots you may want to visit. If you book a taxi via the resort, they will charge you much more than a regular taxi (530 PHP to the Airport, 670 PHP to the Pier).
Restaurants: Well, we eat only at Kilimanjaro and the food was, lets say good arranged, but actually less in the quality than we expected. The meat was very bad. We order one beef dish and one cake and the price was again more than above normal with 925 PHP. Therefore we would expect a perfect dish in matter of taste, quality and arrangement.
Anyway, if you look for a good hotel and resort, spending a little bit more money, you will find here a perfect place. It was one of the resorts which will be kept in my mind and I’m sure that I will return to there for a longer time.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Xiao_An
Reviewed 24 August 2007

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel over Shangri La Mactan because my brother in law recommended it.

The things we loved:

1. First class service. We got what we paid for in terms of friendliness, efficiency, and the no tipping policy. It's a breather to never have to think about how much we had to tip. The accommodations were expensive so I guess that covered the tips! When we arrived, they were helpful. They gave us a resort map (that was a cute touch, it's like going to disneyland) which we actually needed since the area was big, and a don't panic booklet which described almost everything you can do in the resort. It was one funny guide, very entertaining. Lifeguards were everywhere so it was safe for everyone to swim.

2. We had many things to do. I was afraid our 3D/2N would be too long so we were planning on taking a look at Shangri La Mactan so we can tell if we made the right choice or not but apparently we needed another night to be able to try to swim in all areas and do the fun (free) activities. Internet was free, whether you want to use their computer or bring your own laptop.

3. The overall appeal was satisfactory. We both loved the theme and the resort. It was easy to go to all the areas of the resort.

4. The room was huge, and can easily fit 4 people. The bed was big! And the bathroom was also spacious. The amenities were complete, like in 5star hotel. I shouldn't have bothered bringing my toiletries.

The things we wish they would do something about:

1. We loved swimming in the pools/ lagoons but they could add at least one pool that's more than 4ft deep. I think the deepest was 4 meters but it was a diving area, too small to swim in since many dive in it. The rest was 4ft deep or shallower.

2. The food was too expensive for the quality. We preferred dining at the Italian restaurant and the American one. We didn't mind paying P470 for a huge burger because it was so good. Figi and Kilimanjaro were just average.

3.The lagoon/pools were a bit dirty, I think. I had many insect bites, not from mosquitoes when I'm just hanging out, but from swimming in the pool/ lagoon.

Bottom line, we would definitely go back there. But we would be hesitant in recommending this place to those with sensitive skin. The bites that I got are the only reason for second thoughts. Please note that my boyfriend and I are not very picky travelers. We value service the most. A level of the place has to match its price. Overall, 4 stars out of 5 :)

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank goldfish19
Reviewed 20 August 2007

we decided to go to the philippines as part of an eight week holiday in south east asia.the taxi driver suggested the plantatation when we arrived.what a fantastic place.we were spoilt rotten for our six night stay.what makes this place is the staff,the service,the value and the stunning surrondings.three girls in our early thirties felt we had shared the perfect honeymoon experience here,we will never forget this holiday and hope to return.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!