“No brainer if you want a hassle free all in one resort!”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hong Kong
“No brainer if you want a hassle free all in one resort!”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Just got back from Cebu after originally booking at another hotel... WRONG MOVE! Going back to PB again for the 2nd time (1st time was 2 years ago), I really notice the huge positives of this place ! It has everything you need for a quick getaway with family/friends or even just like us, as a young couple. It's so big that it never feels crowded.
The resort is so big that you can make it into whatever kind of holiday you want. Big plus is the huge and scattered pools all around, both salted and fresh water pools.. Be careful with the lagoon floors but all in all, it's been quite well maintained. Another positive, The Spa is absolutely stunning and one of the more beautiful and relaxing spas i have seen. I think it's pretty reasonably priced as well for a resort spa.
Last time we came here, we felt food was very disappointing but this time we tried the Italian restaurant Palermo and absolutely loved it, we ate there for both our dinners... great atmosphere and value for money altho menu is rather limited. Stay away from the main cafe if you can... Another thing that put us off was the fake grey rocks but you learn to live with it amongst the other positives!
We're really glad we switched hotels midway to save our trip as we ended up having a lovely and relaxing time at Plantation Bay

PROS
A few freshwater pools, all very well maintained and plenty of chairs, not crowded at all
Huge resort with lots of activities, can go cycling around the area, great for jogging too
Beautiful and reasonably priced spa
Great Service from the staff
20 mins from Airport
Dont forget to try their mango/banana smoothies, perfect to drink under the sun!

CONS
Lagoon floors are a bit dangerous as a bit run down, and sometimes not filled up to the top Fake Greyrocks quite an eye sore but becomes acceptable 2nd time around!
Food - dont expect much, best is the Palermo
Room is nothing special but it's clean and decent size.

Million Dollar Question: Would I go back again? Definitely ! Hopefully once a year :)

Room Tip: All Poolside rooms only have twin beds so avoid booking those if you're a couple ! Otherwise al...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sirk32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I reviewed all the comments about this hotel while searching for the best place to stay in Cebu. I was kinda hesitant at first coz of the negative comments but still i decided to give it a try and it came out to be one of my best experience and i proved all the negative comments wrong..

People have complained about the prices since the resort is more expensive than the impoverished neighborhoods outside. You have to expect that. If you want cheap foods then stay on a cheap hotel in cebu and have yourself a cheap trip. Obviously the resort is for people who want to spend money and experience something luxurious.

People have complained that there's algae on the bottom of the lagoon. There was algae in few places and it does feel weird when you step on it but during my stay I saw them cleaning the biggest lagoon and they are maintaining it so well. If you let little things like that ruin your vacation than you have to go somewhere else.

Some people complained about the staff not being friendly enough. I found them overly friendly. Pass a worker anytime and you get a big smile and hello. Ask for room service and other stuff and they will always set your expectation on how long they can do it.

And some people complained about old and not-so-maintained rooms.. well, check it yourself.. what you see on their website is what you'll get..

...a very romantic place.. family friendly.. plus the complementary shuttle servise to and from the airport is great. just awesome place..

Room Tip: what you see on their website is what you'll get.. for couples i recommend the pool side rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lifeasweknewit
West Allis, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I just returned from a 3-day stay, having a river-edge room where i could walk out of my patio day and walk right into a sea water pool. It was an advantage of having a first floor room. The beach was nice after high tide (around 11 AM). Food was great. Nightly Theme dinners were very interesting and fun. So much to do on this 11.4 acre resort. If you go, don't forget the horse and carriage ride. No no tipping allowed!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: When I go back in April, I will ask for a first floor river's edge room. Please visit their web...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve W
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My partner and I visited this place for 3 days. When we arrived the place seemed really nice, great lobby and nice rooms. Our room was not ready so we went for a bite to eat - this is where the dissapointment began. Claims of the best burger in the world! And onion rings to rival burger king were pure rubbish. All food was overpriced rubbish. Then we took a walk around to see what the resort had to offer, which was quite alot but for a stupidly heavy price. E.g 30 mins jetski - 2500 pesos. The lagoon looks good from a distance, on closer inspection it was dirty and slimey. They seem to want to rip people off with everything, a ride to near mall using hotel transport was 275 pesos.... Our taxi trip back was 80 pesos. Now i understand a hotel will always be more, but to 3times more is just pure daylight robbery. The staff were very rude to my filipino partner from check in to check out. Overall was let down by the resort in everyway apart from the nice room.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank S7eve_083
manila
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Such a beautiful place. Feels like you're in paradise. You really get privacy, even with the resort fully booked because it's such a big place. We were given a lagoon side room at the Yucatan house which was a very good location. The room is spacious, beds are comfortable, and the bathroom feels luxurious. There is a balcony right outside the room where the lagoon is just a few steps away, and you feel like you have your own piece of paradise. If you are looking for a place to relax and forget all your worries, this is the place to be.

The best thing about this resort is the excellent service provided by just about everyone who's part of the staff. Everyone is smiling and happy to be of service to the guests. Their pride in their work shines through. We are especially happy with the service of front desk officer Lily, who was very accommodating and thoughtful when we arrived. Also Jyn of Palermo restaurant, who was very friendly and helpful to us.

Food is very expensive in the resort. It's difficult to go out and eat because very few taxis come by. So basically, you're left with not much choice when it comes to food. The food though is good. At Palermo, there was a jazz singer who had a lovely voice and we very much enjoyed listening to her.

My husband and I wanted so much to try the spa. Unfortunately, when we called at 7 pm, the spa was already fully booked until closing time. So my advice, if you want to book the spa service, especially if there is a high occupancy rate at the resort, is to book as early as you can.

The Yucatan house is right in front of the Game Room so our kids enjoyed playing there.

The negatives - I wasn't comfortable letting my kids swim at the saltwater lagoons because the floor was very slippery. There were also some sharp protrusions on the floor. My husband hurt his foot swimming in the lagoon.

It was difficult to get beach towels!! The resort has a system where you cannot bring out your room towels. You're supposed to claim your beach towel from the towel stations on a daily basis. However, towels were always running out and we were only able to get towels on our second day!! And out of the 7 of us, only 2 people were able to get towels!!

The other negative is that if you're staying in a lagoon side room, and someone is occupying the lagoon view room above you, the footsteps of people on the second floor will keep you awake all night.

Room Tip: choose a room that's close to the lagoon. It feels more private.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank happy_mommytraveler
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Our Plantation Bay experience started at the Mactan Cebu International Airport. Upon arrival we were led by the airport rep to a private waiting lounge while he called the driver. We thought it would be a shuttle bus so we were surprised when a private car was requested and took us to the resort. It was about 25-30 mins to the resort. Upon arrival at Plantation Bay, the resident manager greeted me by name and asked one of her front desk associates to personally assist us for check-in. I got the most pleasant surprise when she told me that they were giving us an upgrade from a water's edge room to a 1-bedroom suite (Xanadu Lodge). We walked to our suite (even if shuttle buggies are available) and were really pleased with the lay-out, the amenities, and the view from the room! It was just fabulous. Everywhere you look is a photo opportunity. The resort I think was 80 percent full that weekend but it never really felt cramped as it had a huge area for walking and swimming. Food is quite expensive but then, you're in a 5-star resort and the level of service was just outstanding. The breakfast buffet at PhP 950 nett was quite pricey but it was a generous spread. The no-tipping policy was also appreciated as guests felt that the service was sincere without the expectation of something in return. There are so many activities to do - wall-climbing, swimming, snorkeling, Zumba, a gym, there's also a game room, and of course the beautiful Mogambo Springs Spa. All in all, I would say that Plantation Bay is up there as one of the best resorts in the Philippines. Can't wait to plan our next stay there!

Room Tip: Get a water's edge room or the 1-bedroom suite if you have the budget.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmpfigueroa
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Me and my family stayed at plantation bay for my sister's wedding. We only stayed here for 2 nights and one of those is my sister's wedding day. Definitely not enough to enjoy the entire resort!! It is by far the largest resort I have ever been and stayed at.

They provide lots of activities to keep you busy and enjoy your holiday and company even more. I personally love biking around the resort. They provide complete and great facilities for families.

The staff of plantation bay are great, the service they provide is impeccable. We did have some minor issues which the management promptly addressed.

We would also like to thank plantation bay for making my sister's wedding a memorable one, we can't thank you enough for that !!!

I would definitely like to go back as the time I was there was simply not enough.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!