“Lovely! Very heartwarming experience!!!”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Initially when we got to plantation. I was a little disappointed though it was our 2nd time at the resort. Disappointed as everything is so artificially created but after the 2nd day or so the place started warming up to us. We just took to it. Got comfortable and got more familiar knew what we liked doing etc. This is a great resort for children. Especially bigger kids. Ours are 4 and 1.5. Yet our kids had a blast. The service is exceptionally good. The staff feel like family once you warm up. Our favorite things about the resort were Kilimanjaro restaurant and the pool. We liked the horse carriage ride. We love the spa! One of the better spas I've been too. It's really lovely. Very professional. We liked the fish feeding at the reception. The beach is very so so. And the activities are quite expensive. Though we didn't think so at the time. But after visiting some other parts of the Philippines and going into cleaner clearer water for less than half the price, snorkeling diving etc. But no complaints as it's part of being in a resort the extra costs. We loved the fact that we could eat breakfast at kili's outdoor and watch our kids in the water right in front of us. The lagoon warms up to you too. The children's playroom was the most disappointing part of plantation. It s very small. No light coming in and they use very strong warm lights in the room. The toys are decent. Overall we loved the resort and would def go back. The rooms are decent size on the bigger side. My fav part are the spacious balconies and the access to lagoon. We were situated in room le 12 which is right next to the shop. Kili's so we thought it was an amazing location. Next time we go back def going to try one of the suites!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Namaha
Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Our daughter got married at Plantation Bay in early January and we enjoyed a six night stay. We booked into the Quantum Villas which were 4 separate houses (bedrooms) a conference house and bar and it's own pool. This facility was outstanding and met all of our pre- wedding needs as well as our hosting needs. This facility even came with it's own butler service. The staff were easy to work with and quickly attended to our needs. Upon check-In we were driven in the same van that picked us up from the airport right to the Quantum Villas. We were met with shell necklaces, a bottle of wine and some divine cookies. The peanut butter cookies were delicious!
Andrea was easy to work with for all of the wedding preperation and planning.
Our guests who also stayed at Plantation Bay for the wedding in various other room types found their accommodation and service good as well.
As many others have commented eating at Plantation Bay can be expensive but we found some ways to keep expenses down like in-expensive pastries is the lobby for breakfast. We did eat at all of the restaurants and found the food good but again a bit pricey.
There was always something to do and we used a number of the facilities like the spa, pools, games room, jet skiing and climbing wall. We enjoyed the swim up bar, numerous slides and caves (albeit man made). We appreciated the trolley service around the resort and never had to wait long for one to come by. The staff were always helpful and pleasant.
We love to travel but our preference is to experience the culture and the people that make up a country and there was very little of that here. That said we realized that when we booked into a resort and realized that we were in for a time of being spoiled and pampered and that is what we got.
The wedding was amazingly beautiful, our stay was relaxing, we were well taken care of and if I am back in the Philipinnes again I may treat myself to a night or two.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CalgaryTuffy
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I consider myself a very well-travelled person and have never felt so compelled to pen a negative feedback on a hotel via a public forum, as I do now. I will echo Th and Joway's feedback on the staff and a particular manager, even though I have yet to step foot in the hotel.

A group of us - 7 adults and 7 children - made an explicitly worded reservation on our intention to stay at PB come June this year, via the hotel's reservation website. We wanted 4 pool side rooms. A reservation officer by the name of Mary Lou replied and quoted us a full list of different rates for different rooms, during our desired timeframe. Heartened by the seemingly good rates, we forego other reservation options and decided to book at PB. Soon, another reservation officer, Jewel, replied to apologise for the "typographical error", and gave us a different set of rates. Higher of course. The claim was that Mary Lou had provided us 2011's rates and the current year rates should apply.

Unsettled, I made a courtesy call to the hotel, and Joy, the Duty Manager answered my call. I gave her a full account of the incident, and basically shared with her that customers should not be penalised for a mistake on the hotel's part, and given that we have an irrefutable record of what transpired between the reservation staff and us on "black and white", it is only appropriate for any respectful, "5-star" hotel to honour its earlier commitments, which were also the basis of their potential customers' decision-making process.

Joy, in her matter-of-fact tone, explained that the hotel will not make good misquotations. I offered her various scenarios which the hotel might consider to ameliorate the situation in the hope of making a soured situation better. The only recommendations she made, aside from insisting on current rates, was that we could choose other room types that will akin to the earlier misquotation.

I am not sure how you, the reader, feels at this point, but I must say I was totally unimpressed. Being a high-level PR professional with regional responsibilities and whose daily goal is to defend and built a company's reputation, I sensitised Joy on the implications of her actions/decisions, and above all, that the issue at hand was no longer about money. It is about a hotel's reputation, integrity and level of regard they have for their customers. She maintained that it is the hotel's policy not to charge rates that were wrongly quoted. To completely tipped the scale over for me, she said that June is still a way to go, and I have time to consider other options else where.

As incensed as I was, I calmly told her I would escalate the matter and request to speak to her superior the next day. She provided me the name of the Front Desk Manager, whose name I shall not mention at this stage, and more or less suggested that the outcome would be the same but that I was free to call her superior anyway.

Perhaps it is complacency on the hotel's part to think that their customers' inconvenience, disappointment and unhappines is not worth looking deeper into. It is appalling to me to hear a Manager tell me I have time to look else where, or think that working out the numerics of my costs through room downgrades is an acceptable option. It is evident that the hotel needs to seriously evaluate its staff qualification, training and importantly, EQ if it harbours any thoughts or ambition to grow its reputation - in the right direction of course.

I am interested to see what the Front Desk Manager will say tomorrow morning. I will keep everyone posted.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank frequentflyer143
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Was at the resort while diving in Cebu. Upon arriving, baggage was delivered to the room with a damaged handle. Immediately notified the duty manager, Joy, upon discovery. Joy arrived 5mins later with a security guard and says she will get an "engineer" to help me fix it. However, I told her I think the luggage bag was damaged somehow in the transport from lobby to my room.

She advised me that she would investigate. About an hour later, she called and claimed that the bellboy and security didn't damage the bag. Amused, I asked her how did my luggage got damage. I handled the bag from my cab to the lobby and didn't notice anything amiss then.

She insisted that they wouldn't be responsible for the damage while insinuating that I am lying as the baggae could have been damaged all along. OMG...I had only requested for a letter to say it was damaged in transit and am not seeking any compensation. I have a travel.insurance which will cover it, I told her.

She hanged up and said she needs to review the CCTV footage... I became annoyed as it was just a damaged bag.. I don't need CSI!!! She didn't come back overnight.

Next morning, I called up the duty manager again. This time it was Charlie. He claims he knows about the bag but also insist on watching the CCTV to make sure it was not their fault...

In the end, they can't locate the footage and agreed to write me a letter...

BUT in the letter, there was not a single apology, not a single admission of my inconveniences, not a single mentioned about the possibility of their error or mishandling...

THIS IS A 5* RESORT.. BUT IT'S A ZERO STAR SERVICE AND ATTITUDE!!! TOTALLY THIRD CLASS!!! WHY DID I PAY 380USD PER NIGHT FOR THIS???

STAY AWAY ... !!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
11  Thank singular
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I chose PB( plantation bay) was due to the good service n reasonable room rate over Internet.
Good points.
The Hugh property was well kept. Beautiful gardens, landscapes design...buggies bring you around. Staying in the lagoonside room is good- easy access into water. There are choices of salt/ pure water lagoon to choose, man made mini island with hammocks. Some slides for children. There are heaps of things /activities to do there. Archery, rock climbing, putt putt, firing range( real gunn bullets)among all other sea sports.
Guest service is excellent. Staffs go out of the way to make your stay comfortable. It's truly no tippling in the hotel . I took out cash n the porter declined! Am totally impressed. Went for spa. They sent a nice butler to take care of my children. Spa village v impressive too with hot n cold jacuzzi pools among others.
A birthday cake was given to us for my son 10 th birthday n the staff sings.
Bad points
Like all the unfavorable comments. Food is expensive. For me not a Filipino but a foreigner whose currency is strong. The food portion is reasonable not big.- enough for moderate eater but would be barely enough for big appetite guests esp in a resort where u play hard n eat more. Bought 3 cans of soft drinks, a bottle of pocccari.- cos me almost 550 pesos. No ice cream except in the restaurants. Do pack enough snacks n drinks if u r staying there.
The bed is quite hard.... unlike most hotels n resorts. At least it's not bad springs.
If money is not a big concern, having fun is n feeling good. This is a good place. For my family of 4. -1 room for 2 nites with 5 meals. Total cost 32000 pesos. Approx.
Plus 2 spa packages 2hrs. add 8200 pesos.
A pleasant stay n enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at Plantation Bay for five nights over the New Year's holiday. As was our experience during previous visits, we had a wonderful time with outstanding service.
This time we opted for the airport-to-room check-in and check-out service which was well worth the $50 price tag. It saved us time and gave us pleasant rides in new SUVs to and from the airport.
We spent most of our time in two locations: the fresh water pools and the spa. Despite the fact that the hotel was fully booked there was a feeling of space and privacy. The downside was that on several days there were a lot of day trippers who were noisy and splashy.
We very much appreciate the no-tipping policy and the electric carts which are available to bring you to any location within the resort.
The food at Fiji was excellent with live fish, shellfish and sushi. The Kilimanjaro restaurant offered extensive breakfast buffets or al la carte fresh fruit or pastries. All of it delicious and freshly prepared. Service at night for dinner was very slow there, however.
We went to the the Savanah Grill one day for lunch where my husband enjoyed a large hotdog and my daughter and I ate chicken barbecue sticks and macaroni salad.
We did miss the old Palermo restaurant. It used to be a romantic gourmet Italian restaurant, but in response to a changing clientele (we expect) it has been downgraded to tapas and snacks and pastas. The hotel was very gracious in assisting us to get to a nearby restaurant one night that fit the need for a romantic, gourmet meal.
For those on a limited budget, there is the cafe in the reception area offering drinks and pastries for a very reasonable price, and also booths with Filipino snacks along the beach areas.
The highlight of our visit was time spent at the spa. This is a tranquil place usually more private than the other pools at the hotel. However, their policy regarding children has changed allowing them to be there during the daytime. This spoiled the atmosphere on one of the days of our visit because of noisiness and splashing. Parents were not controlling their young kids, often leaving them unattended. I hope the hotel reconsiders this change in policy and limits the hours kids can be at the spa. The massages at the spa are the best we've experienced in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
The friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff at Plantation Bay are world class.
Frankly, I'm surprised by the sour grape reviews of some people. I did not see any discrimination toward Filipino wives or any race. Everyone was treated with respect and helpfulness despite how busy the resort was over the holiday.
Our room was cleaned every day, and we were given fresh towels and washcloths when we needed them.
Thank you Plantation Bay for a wonderful vacation. We'll see you again!

Room Tip: We've never had a bad room at Plantation Bay--whether a family room, a second floor or a first f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank anneharper1951
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Okay we're a family of four and we stayed here for 4 nights. It's our first time in Cebu and I didn't really care about the resort being far from town. But I do care about comfort and food. Most of the staff were great but their food and beverage management team is really stupid. They serve hot foods cold or lukewarm. I got food poison twice. I had breakfast at Kilimanjaro restaurant by afternoon I have this gastric pain like you won't believe and they refuse to acknowledge that it was their food that was making me sick. I spoke with the managers here over and over again and gone nowhere. They are clueless and have no idea how to run a kitchen let alone a resort. I didn't mind the price for food as long as you can wow me with the food but the quality is not even there. 900 pesos about $20.00 for buffet is nothing to me but make sure you impress me with your food. This place needs to reevaluate their practices, fire the management and retrain all employees. If you like to waste money and time come to this place.

And Condenast you gave this resort a good review your absolutely wrong. So fire the person you sent over this place to do the review bec. he/she didn't do their job.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!