“Better, brighter, more fun”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 22 February 2013

When I visited the hotel last month, I found the place much improved from when I was there more than 10 years ago. The lagoon looked prettier and
The room looked brighter and smelled cleaner! I also found the entertainer at the Spanish resto and most specially the pair of singer and musician at the bar good and really entertaining.

I enjoyed the spa with the heated pool and the cold running falls. Even the view while I got my massage was serene and quite relaxing. I just happened to have a not so good masseuse who I later found out from interviewing her that she was new at the job and just had a few months training. The massage I got at the mall a few nights before at a fraction of the price was significantly better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear Esther C,

We're glad to learn that on your second visit to Plantation Bay, you found it even better than you remembered, rooms-and-facilities-wise. And thanks for the kind words about our entertainers at Palermo Restaurant. Next time you come back, check out our Savannah Lounge entertainment too.

Efren P. Belarmino

Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I had the the most relaxing time with my girl friends at the Plantation Bay. Of course the spa was at the top of our list to try and we were not disappointed. The fee to use the hot tub, the pools etc all day was well worth it. Staff was very friendly and made sure you were well taken cared of. I loved how they made use of local materials throughout the spa and even the whole resort. I could see how everything that was used was well thought of.
The bars had excellent singers and musicians and enjoyed listening to them and dancing to their music till the end. Overall experience was great! I would definitely bring my family back there as there are numerous activities especially for the kids.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Lagoon side room as you could literally jump to the pool from your room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear georgebrad,

We're glad you appreciated the resort's guest-friendly layout. Our building designs are 100% Filipino, and almost all furniture and fixtures are custom-ordered, designed, and made for Plantation Bay.

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our nightly entertainment excellent.

We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

While many of our friends were headed to Shangri-La for Chinese New Year, we went off the beaten path to the Plantation Bay. So very glad we did!

I'm a scatterbrain, and arrived a day before the reservation. No worries, they put me in a spa-room. Very basic, with sweet music and smells running through. For one night, it was fine, and even though they advised there would be no wifi, mine worked. Being in the spa room gave me access to the sauna, jacuzzi, hot springs, and more... very worthwhile to try! I had a lovely pool massage and a wrap, and the service was impeccable.

The next day, my friend arrived, and we moved to a Lagoon-side room - gorgeous and spacious, with 2 double beds, a roomy bathroom, and plenty of space for us. Best part - the lanai had room for 4, with a ceiling fan and light, and we could walk right into the water in 10 seconds. We were able to sit outside every morning to see the sunrise and go for late night swims. The room was equipped with a remote controlled A/C and reasonable cable. It also came with a large complimentary bottle of water daily, and a basket of snacks.

The resort was stunning - everything you could imagine: a small beach where there were about 20 chairs and umbrellas. There were 4 chlorine pools, and at least 5 lagoons. Ample space so you never felt crowded. At night, a man would play a guitar as the sun set... so lovely. The main pool had a swim up bar and 2 slides, there were kayaks, other slides, waterfalls, and a dive cliff. There was a beach volleyball set up, a palm reader, tattoo artist, and more. There were several restaurants on property that were reasonably priced for a resort. Actually, everything was reasonably priced. There was a convenience store, a gift shop, and even a shooting range, game room, gym, and coffee shop. If you didn't want to leave, you could stay on property all week and be very happy!

BUT, if you do decide to go off property, there is an AMAZING pizza spot called Bella Napoli across from Savemore in Maribago (all taxis know Savemore). Near there, you can buy fresh fruit at the street stalls, and get snacks and beverages at a fraction of the cost at Savemore(e.g. on property, dried mango is 100 pesos; at savemore: 50).

The hotel offers airport pick up and drop off complimentary, and there is a strict no tipping policy.

Now, some negatives, all of which were shared with the management:
a) getting a taxi at night was challenging. Some of the people at the desk just refused to call; request that they do. As an aside, b/c the resort is out of the way, you'll likely have to pay a 50 pesos supplement - worth it!
b) wifi in the lagoon-side room was very spotty.
c) Service at kilimanjaro cafe was very poor. One day we were told we would have to wait 1 hour for a salad and some tofu
d) there is only 1 nail tech on property, so you can't get joint pedicures
e) there is only 1 swim up bar (big pool)
f) there is no poolside drink/food service (not a necessity, but they could benefit from it)
g) East lagoon was a bit murky and slimy - apparently, there was a cleaning scheduled for the day I left
h) sparse room amenities for Asia - only 2 towels, no washcloths (we never asked to change it, but it was an observation), no toothbrush/toothpaste, etc... atypical for Asia.

Most of my "negatives" are observations and suggestions, but would certainly not stop me from booking again. In fact, my travel companion already did!

I can't imagine Shangri-La offering more, and I know the cost is nearly double. Plantation Bay is a great value - a 5 star resort at a 3 star price!

Room Tip: Recommend lagoon side, but be careful - some are so "side" that they have a ladder from th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear RitaM0919,

Thank you for the encouraging review. Those who stay for a week like you have the opportunity to really discover what sets us apart from other hotels.

We are glad that you loved your rooms and the Spa, and that throughout your stay, you and your friends enjoyed our activities and leisure facilities. Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun, and we're happy that you appreciated our efforts and took the time to really explore the resort.

We appreciate your observations and suggestions and will do our best to improve for your next visit.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Plantation bay is just an average resort comparing it to Shang-rila. The whole resort is actually spacious but there are not much to do even if they offer few amenities. You can either swim on a lagoon, then swim to another lagoon, jump off a manmade cliff, swim in a pool, use the slide, bike around the place, play archery, golf, and that's it. There is nothing special about this place except the ambience. 1 day would be enought to do all of the activities and at three days I assure that you will get bored.

By the way, did one of the reviews below mentioned that they discriminate Filipina wives? This is not true! Instead, you will feel a slight discrimination throughout your stay here if you are a Local resident of the Philippines - as long as you look Filipino and you speak tagalog!

Room Tip: choose the cheapest room. Rooms are only for sleeping, you will find yourself outside your room for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tikoo M
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Reader:
According to our records, during this reviewer's one-day stay, he was given a complimentary room upgrade, as well as a complimentary cake based on his assertion that he and his companion were celebrating an anniversary.

We are frankly dumbfounded that, even with a romantic partner at his side, he felt that in a few hours on February 14 they had already run out of things to do. Many of our guests stay over a week and still feel they haven't tried everything. We are extremely popular with honeymooners and couples, precisely because of the extensive activities suitable for couples, and the uniquely romantic ambience that this reviewer acknowledges but claims to attach so little value to.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I reserved a three night stay at Plantation Bay, we wished we would have stayed for a week.
During our stay we scheduled a tour of Cebu and Lapu Lapu City on one day and also an all day tour of Bohol on another. We wished we had several more days to enjoy the facilities of the resort.
My wife and I are in our early sixties but are still very energetic. We would have loved to have enjoyed more of the kayaking, snorkeling, bicycling, and swimming in the various lagoons and pools.
The restaurants at Plantation Bay were also very good. Good variety of choices and reasonably priced.
Finally the service. From our experience we felt the staff was excellent. No complaints whatsoever.
We would definitely recommend this resort and we plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Art C,

It's nice to know that you enjoyed your initial stay so much that you're already planning your return visit to Plantation Bay.

Thank you for the kind sentiments about our restaurants, and for the excellent rating on our service. And a big thank you for recommending the hotel to our TripAdvisor readers.

We look forward to seeing you and your wife again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

My family and I visited this resort back in January '07. The resort kinda reminded me of being in Hawaii. Our stay was only for a couple nights. Unfortunately, it rained the whole time. Our rooms were hidden away from the main lagoon area. The pool surrounding our room looked like it needed some cleaning, although most of my water play was in the main lagoon area. My cousin got to enjoy some shooting at the gun range, got to ride a kayak and a bike around the compound, even used the fitness center. All in all, our experience was a positive one. This resort is perfect for families with kids! Be prepared to spend some money because prices are a little higher...if you want to save money, you'll need to leave the property. If I ever decide to have kids, I would definitely come back!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room by the water...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Evan Z

Dear Evan Z,

We are sorry that adverse weather conditions hampered your enjoyment of our facilities. Still, we're happy to learn that you and your cousin were able to try out some other activities such as the firing range. The next time you come back, check out our wall climbing, tennis, and golf pitch-and-putt too.

Our rooms are very accurately described in our website, and your observation that your room was "tucked away" may mislead some readers into thinking that this was a surprise to you. Surely it wasn't, since we clearly describe our "poolside" rooms as being near a pool, not a lagoon, and moreover we disclose that the views are impaired. No other hotel in the world discloses as much information about room size, layout, furnishings, and views as Plantation Bay.

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

One of the things I love about tripadvisor is that if you read a lot of reviews an overall consistent picture arises. The two main issues flagged about this resort are cleaness of the lagoons and food, particularly breakfast. What I find interesting is, that management reads and responds to similar comments over and over again they but don’t resolve the issues – if they did I could give this place 5 stars.
1) Lagoon Cleanliness
The lagoons did feel slimely and there was a considerable amount of debris and green slime . They need a few giant pool cleaners. Given how cheap labor is in the Philippines I would think it wouldn’t be a big expense to fix this.

2) Food
We didn ‘t find the food expensive for a resort, except breakfast which is way, way over priced and not good. Buffet breakfast was about $25 USD, and the quality and choice was not great. The orange juice tasted like it had never met an orange – powdered maybe? The other breakfast options were not much better – the American breakfast looked awful (someone has posted a photo previously of it and yes, that is really what it looks like). We had the continental breakfast a couple of times which seemed a better option. Coffee and pastries can be bought at Palmero cafe, but they have no fresh juices or smoothies, so it was kind of boring.

We tried all the restaurants, and found the food to be hit and miss, but never outstandingly good. The restaurants ran out of things including bananas, mangoes (yes, in Cebu during mango season) and ice-cream (one night I had to take two crying disappointed kids home because there was no ice-cream unless they wanted jackfruit or peanut chocolate flavored......).

Now the good bits. The Staff – amazingly kind and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. Just great. The setting – lovely looking out over the lagoons and greenery. Activities – so much to keep a 4 and 7 year old busy . They played tennis, rode bikes, did golf putting, fishing (kind of useless as they give bread which fell straight off), played in the games room, kids playroom (small) and playground (crusty), listened to the bands and fed fishes. Entertainment – there was always something somewhere going on – we were there over Chinese NY and my kids loved the lion dances. We didn’t go to any of the theme nights as we’re not a big fan of buffets, but a couple of times stopped to watch a bit of the entertainment and they were fun (cheezy, but fun).

A few other (small) points that would make things better:
- Schedule of Kids Activities: we didn’t know there were daily activities until we had been there for 3 days. Most other hotels give a printed weekly program in your room when you arrive
- Water : most hotels supply sufficient drinking water, this hotel gives 1 liter a day for a family of 4, which seems rather tight
- Bikes: they only have adult bikes, which meant my 4 year old couldn’t ride at all and that it was dangerous for my (tall) 7 year old
- Glasses and coffee mugs: we checked in as 4 people but the room only had 2 of each. We asked for more but they kept getting taken away
- Pool towels: they gave us cards to exchange for towels at one of the pool towel centers. We had to track towels down, which was a shame as when we got there the first night the first thing we wanted to do was swim, so we ended up using up all our room towels. I get the logic – they don’t want towels being cleaned unless needed, but surely they could give them out but ask you to change them when wanted.
- Room service: there is no kids room service menu.
- Car service: the first car had no seatbelts.
Room suggestions:
We were in Nile Hall (thanks to someone’s recommendation on tripadvisor), and I think it is the best location, particularly the one farthest to the left as you are facing the lagoon (sorry, I didn’t get the number) as it has a couple of deck chairs and a hammock. They are right next to the lagoon, and just have a little bit of grass and some beach before the water. If not available then Leblon Hall or Edo Hall look good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 123,545
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Dear 123545,

Thank you for sharing your review. We're happy that you liked the hotel's ambience, and that our activities and Chinese New Year celebration left a good impression on you.

We are always open to suggestions and critiques from guests, and have undertaken measures to address their concerns on TripAdvisor.

For your information, our lagoons are totally drained and cleaned every 2-4 weeks, and otherwise are swept of debris on a daily basis. Since these saltwater lagoons comprise an area of over 2 hectares (the size of 3 soccer fields), obviously they cannot be maintained to the same standard as a tiled swimming pool. Occasionally one may encounter some algae, but even so, the lagoons are considerably cleaner than any natural body of water.

We also have 4 freshwater pools that are always perfectly clean. To the best of our knowledge they comprise the most freshwater-pool area of any resort in the country, possibly Asia, with almost 3000 square meters of surface area, equal to 2 1/2 Olympic swimming pools.

We have taken note of your other comments and will do our best to improve for your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#8 of 44 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!