“Wonderful resort”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Had a very wonderful stay here with my wife and our 2 young kids. So many pools to choose from. And after that there is still the beach. The water and the resort grounds were very clean. The room were spacious even for the 4 of us. The staff were very courteous and nice. The food though was quite expensive. There are no other options like going outside the resort because its quite secluded. I liked the food at the Fiji Restaurant. But aside from there, not too good. Unfortunately for me, the Fiji was closed during Mondays. Overall it was a great vacation. My daughter even asked me when we were onboard the plane going back to Manila when we would be going back to Plantation Bay. She said she really enjoyed it. Thanks Plantation.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

Dear Dallas4594,

Our resort welcomes many different kinds of visitors, but families are typically among our most appreciative guests.

We're glad that you liked your spacious room, and that your children really enjoyed our facilities. When you book with us next time, please remind us of your comment about prices, so we can offer suggestions on how to get the best value for money at Plantation Bay.

There are newer reviews for Plantation Bay Resort And Spa

Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

the rooms and hotel grounds were nice and clean the pool nice and big but if you're not into karaoke the evening night out options are very limited unless you take a taxi outside to search for bars as walking out is not an option due to the hotels isolated location

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank graham t

Dear graham t,

We are happy to know that you liked your room and the resort's ambience. We regret to learn that you felt your evening entertainment options were limited. During your one-night stay, you may not have had enough time to appreciate our nightly Theme Dinner Buffets, or our after-dinner entertainers at Savannah Lounge. Some of our guests stay 3-6 nights and still feel they still have not discovered everything. When you come back next time, we believe you will find many more activities than you originally imagined.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

When I visited the hotel last month, I found the place much improved from when I was there more than 10 years ago. The lagoon looked prettier and
The room looked brighter and smelled cleaner! I also found the entertainer at the Spanish resto and most specially the pair of singer and musician at the bar good and really entertaining.

I enjoyed the spa with the heated pool and the cold running falls. Even the view while I got my massage was serene and quite relaxing. I just happened to have a not so good masseuse who I later found out from interviewing her that she was new at the job and just had a few months training. The massage I got at the mall a few nights before at a fraction of the price was significantly better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear Esther C,

We're glad to learn that on your second visit to Plantation Bay, you found it even better than you remembered, rooms-and-facilities-wise. And thanks for the kind words about our entertainers at Palermo Restaurant. Next time you come back, check out our Savannah Lounge entertainment too.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I had the the most relaxing time with my girl friends at the Plantation Bay. Of course the spa was at the top of our list to try and we were not disappointed. The fee to use the hot tub, the pools etc all day was well worth it. Staff was very friendly and made sure you were well taken cared of. I loved how they made use of local materials throughout the spa and even the whole resort. I could see how everything that was used was well thought of.
The bars had excellent singers and musicians and enjoyed listening to them and dancing to their music till the end. Overall experience was great! I would definitely bring my family back there as there are numerous activities especially for the kids.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Lagoon side room as you could literally jump to the pool from your room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear georgebrad,

We're glad you appreciated the resort's guest-friendly layout. Our building designs are 100% Filipino, and almost all furniture and fixtures are custom-ordered, designed, and made for Plantation Bay.

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our nightly entertainment excellent.

We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

While many of our friends were headed to Shangri-La for Chinese New Year, we went off the beaten path to the Plantation Bay. So very glad we did!

I'm a scatterbrain, and arrived a day before the reservation. No worries, they put me in a spa-room. Very basic, with sweet music and smells running through. For one night, it was fine, and even though they advised there would be no wifi, mine worked. Being in the spa room gave me access to the sauna, jacuzzi, hot springs, and more... very worthwhile to try! I had a lovely pool massage and a wrap, and the service was impeccable.

The next day, my friend arrived, and we moved to a Lagoon-side room - gorgeous and spacious, with 2 double beds, a roomy bathroom, and plenty of space for us. Best part - the lanai had room for 4, with a ceiling fan and light, and we could walk right into the water in 10 seconds. We were able to sit outside every morning to see the sunrise and go for late night swims. The room was equipped with a remote controlled A/C and reasonable cable. It also came with a large complimentary bottle of water daily, and a basket of snacks.

The resort was stunning - everything you could imagine: a small beach where there were about 20 chairs and umbrellas. There were 4 chlorine pools, and at least 5 lagoons. Ample space so you never felt crowded. At night, a man would play a guitar as the sun set... so lovely. The main pool had a swim up bar and 2 slides, there were kayaks, other slides, waterfalls, and a dive cliff. There was a beach volleyball set up, a palm reader, tattoo artist, and more. There were several restaurants on property that were reasonably priced for a resort. Actually, everything was reasonably priced. There was a convenience store, a gift shop, and even a shooting range, game room, gym, and coffee shop. If you didn't want to leave, you could stay on property all week and be very happy!

BUT, if you do decide to go off property, there is an AMAZING pizza spot called Bella Napoli across from Savemore in Maribago (all taxis know Savemore). Near there, you can buy fresh fruit at the street stalls, and get snacks and beverages at a fraction of the cost at Savemore(e.g. on property, dried mango is 100 pesos; at savemore: 50).

The hotel offers airport pick up and drop off complimentary, and there is a strict no tipping policy.

Now, some negatives, all of which were shared with the management:
a) getting a taxi at night was challenging. Some of the people at the desk just refused to call; request that they do. As an aside, b/c the resort is out of the way, you'll likely have to pay a 50 pesos supplement - worth it!
b) wifi in the lagoon-side room was very spotty.
c) Service at kilimanjaro cafe was very poor. One day we were told we would have to wait 1 hour for a salad and some tofu
d) there is only 1 nail tech on property, so you can't get joint pedicures
e) there is only 1 swim up bar (big pool)
f) there is no poolside drink/food service (not a necessity, but they could benefit from it)
g) East lagoon was a bit murky and slimy - apparently, there was a cleaning scheduled for the day I left
h) sparse room amenities for Asia - only 2 towels, no washcloths (we never asked to change it, but it was an observation), no toothbrush/toothpaste, etc... atypical for Asia.

Most of my "negatives" are observations and suggestions, but would certainly not stop me from booking again. In fact, my travel companion already did!

I can't imagine Shangri-La offering more, and I know the cost is nearly double. Plantation Bay is a great value - a 5 star resort at a 3 star price!

Room Tip: Recommend lagoon side, but be careful - some are so "side" that they have a ladder from th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear RitaM0919,

Thank you for the encouraging review. Those who stay for a week like you have the opportunity to really discover what sets us apart from other hotels.

We are glad that you loved your rooms and the Spa, and that throughout your stay, you and your friends enjoyed our activities and leisure facilities. Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun, and we're happy that you appreciated our efforts and took the time to really explore the resort.

We appreciate your observations and suggestions and will do our best to improve for your next visit.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Plantation bay is just an average resort comparing it to Shang-rila. The whole resort is actually spacious but there are not much to do even if they offer few amenities. You can either swim on a lagoon, then swim to another lagoon, jump off a manmade cliff, swim in a pool, use the slide, bike around the place, play archery, golf, and that's it. There is nothing special about this place except the ambience. 1 day would be enought to do all of the activities and at three days I assure that you will get bored.

By the way, did one of the reviews below mentioned that they discriminate Filipina wives? This is not true! Instead, you will feel a slight discrimination throughout your stay here if you are a Local resident of the Philippines - as long as you look Filipino and you speak tagalog!

Room Tip: choose the cheapest room. Rooms are only for sleeping, you will find yourself outside your room for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tikoo M
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Reader:
According to our records, during this reviewer's one-day stay, he was given a complimentary room upgrade, as well as a complimentary cake based on his assertion that he and his companion were celebrating an anniversary.

We are frankly dumbfounded that, even with a romantic partner at his side, he felt that in a few hours on February 14 they had already run out of things to do. Many of our guests stay over a week and still feel they haven't tried everything. We are extremely popular with honeymooners and couples, precisely because of the extensive activities suitable for couples, and the uniquely romantic ambience that this reviewer acknowledges but claims to attach so little value to.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I reserved a three night stay at Plantation Bay, we wished we would have stayed for a week.
During our stay we scheduled a tour of Cebu and Lapu Lapu City on one day and also an all day tour of Bohol on another. We wished we had several more days to enjoy the facilities of the resort.
My wife and I are in our early sixties but are still very energetic. We would have loved to have enjoyed more of the kayaking, snorkeling, bicycling, and swimming in the various lagoons and pools.
The restaurants at Plantation Bay were also very good. Good variety of choices and reasonably priced.
Finally the service. From our experience we felt the staff was excellent. No complaints whatsoever.
We would definitely recommend this resort and we plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Art C,

It's nice to know that you enjoyed your initial stay so much that you're already planning your return visit to Plantation Bay.

Thank you for the kind sentiments about our restaurants, and for the excellent rating on our service. And a big thank you for recommending the hotel to our TripAdvisor readers.

We look forward to seeing you and your wife again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!