“Dated Resort & Poor Customer Service”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were a party of 3 that checked in a 1 bed suite room. The rooms (it had an adjacent living room) were really spacious but different from what they publish in their website. We could really tell the rooms (and the bathrooms) were dated as we frequented the resort previously (would visit 3-5 times a year from 2004-2006). Our first day was very good as we were there for a prenup shoot. The staff were very helpful in achieving our concept. However, room service was unavailable. We had to pick up our food from one of the restos! Our second day was terrible! After having breakfast at around 11, we couldn't get inside our room! So we went to the souvenir shop to call front desk and they said they'd send someone immediately. Apparently, immediately means 30-40 mins after! I had to call twice as we were getting impatient. I told the lady I was speaking to at the front desk that she should give us more time to pack as check out was at 12 noon. All she could manage as a reply was "uhhh, how much time ma'am?" That was very bad customer service!! I asked for the status and they said the battery of the door sensor for the room card was low or empty-something that shouldn't happen as the door sensor would be blinking if it was low on battery. Two men came to manually open the door and we could hear the duty manager impatiently and repeatedly asking "are they not checking out yet?" Hello! Our stuff was still inside! Talk about not giving a damn about their guests.
I must say I was so disappointed during my stay. I work overseas and I keep raving about Plantation Bay to both my fellow Filipinos and the foreigners alike and have even convinced some friends to stay over last month. It figures that those friends (that checked in last month) didn't share my previous opinion on this resort after having experienced what we did today.

Room Tip: Just choose the lagoon side room. It's the best room they've got with the best value.
4  Thank MissOpinionated28
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear MissOpinionated28,

We are sorry for the incident concerning the malfunctioning door lock, and for the inconvenience this caused you. We have counseled our staff about this, and hope that there will be no further incidents of this type.

Many guests find our rooms beautifully furnished and equipped with spacious balconies and bathrooms with separate tub and shower, ample counter space and lovely stone and marble finishes. The suite you stayed in was totally refurbished three years ago and outfitted with tile floors with an "antiqued" finish which you perhaps mistook for "dated." However, we respect your feedback and will see what can be improved.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed 5 nights in this amazing resort (October 2013) to attend a wedding. Overall, I can say this place is amazing & excellent place to stay if you want to relax & do absolutely nothing. No need to go outside of the resort, they have everything, food, entertainment at night & the water, water, water - just choose which part of the resort you want to swim.

All staff has excellent customer service, although everything in this resort comes with a high cost, it's a dollar cost but it well worth it.

My husband's only complaint is the fridge, not cold enough to store his beer.

Cheers

1  Thank Becha
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Becha,

We do our best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun and we are happy that you had such an enjoyable and relaxing experience during your recent 5-night stay at Plantation Bay.

Thank you for your review. We wish the new couple a long and happy married life together.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

At our most recent 6-night stay at Plantation Bay, a staff member asked us why we keep returning to Plantation Bay (I think this was our 11th visit). Here are some of the reasons:
WATER: the man-made filtered sea-water lagoon which is huge. There is nothing like it anywhere else. This time we were in a room with stairs from the back porch going directly into the lagoon. Heaven! The fresh water pool—some with Jacuzzis. The heated pools at the spa are so quiet and relaxing. There is also a small beach area if we want to go into the ocean directly. The deep bath tub and separate shower which always have enough hot water. Plenty of drinking water brought to our room each day.
The incredible STAFF: always friendly and helpful. There is a no tipping policy which makes this even more attractive. We don’t have to carry any money around with us at the resort. It is nice to see staff members who have been there for a long time and have them remember us.
The FOOD: there are a number of restaurants so we can have our pick at any given time. Our favorites are Kilimanjaro for lunch with its International and Filipino selections. We love their burgers, smoked salmon sandwiches, wonton soup, and the Caesar salad made at our table. This is an open-air screened restaurant right on a unique fresh-water pool. Palmero, the Italian restaurant is very romantic, especially in the evening. Our favorites are the crab ravioli, chicken and portabella mushroom pasta in tomato cream sauce and the to-die-for home-made mint chocolate chip ice cream in an almond basket. Fiji, the Japanese restaurant, has the freshest seafood, sushi and sashimi. The coffee shop in the lobby offers coffees, teas and pastries. The PB ensamadas are so good, I usually order some to take home with us after our vacation. If we don’t want to leave our room, room service arrives in ½ hour or less. This time we opted to try “Cooking with a Chef” an opportunity to learn how to cook some of the Filipino foods Plantation Bay serves. We enjoyed making fresh lumpia ubod and prawn sinagong. And we have chef’s hats and aprons to remember our experience.
The SPA: the best massages I have had anywhere internationally. I like the relaxing aromatherapy and foot massages the best. There is a large covered hot pool, outdoor hot and cold pools, a shower pool and a sauna. We like to sit and read alternating between the hot and cold pools.
The CONVENIENCE: airport pick-up and drop-off in late model cars and room registration and check out are a breeze. We opt to pay extra for the room-to-room service so there is no wait. We arrive at the airport and ½ hour later we are getting into our swimsuits. It is a large resort, and there are electric-powered carts which can take us wherever we want to go—which is especially nice as we’ve gotten older.
The ROOMS: large, airy with cable television and internet. Comfortable beds with white beddings and most important: comfortable reading chairs with futons. Plenty of lighting. We control the air conditioning setting, and the housekeeping is perfect: we go out for an hour and when we return our room is done. There are plenty of large white towels and washcloths. Beach towels are also available at locations throughout the resort. If we need anything, we just have to ask. Oh, and the complimentary pastries, snacks and juice on our arrival are also very nice.
I’m sure I’ll think of more after I’ve posted this, but we highly recommend staying at Plantation Bay.

Room Tip: We've never had a bad room. Water's Edge rooms are nice because you can go right into the wa...
3  Thank anneharper1951

Dear anneharper1951,

It is always nice to read about returning guests like you having another enjoyable stay at Plantation Bay. More experienced travelers like yourselves agree that the resort is the best, or comparable to the best, they've been to.

We're happy that on your 11th visit, you tried our Cook with the Chef Package and enjoyed making fresh lumpia and Sinigang na Sugpo (Prawn and Tamarind Soup).

And a big Thank you! for the compliments, especially for recommending the resort to our TripAdvisor readers. We're heartened by your kind words, and look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

After spending one night in a pretty rough hotel - we had to salvage our week's vacation. We used trip advisor and the internet to find Plantation Bay. Vacation saved! The hotel staff is friendly and pleasant, the rooms spacious and clean. The best part is the lagoons - swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding and just chilling in the hammock are all just off the balcony. A great place to relax and recharge. The spa gave a great pedicure and the food was pretty good. It was off season so there wasn't much going on in terms of diving etc. A couple of places were doing renovation work but all in all it was a very nice atomosphere.

Room Tip: Think about if you want to go straight into the water from your balcony - then choose first floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Marilu B,

Plantation Bay's primary form of landscaping is water—with the rooms overlooking a lovely expanse of private beaches and waterways—and we're glad that while here, you enjoyed the view and our various leisure activities.

Thank you for the kind comments about our food, staff, and the spa. We look forward to welcoming you back to Plantation Bay soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice and cozy atmosphere but selection of room is quite important. There is a great difference among them. The lagoon is nice to jump into from your veranda. The beach is nice but a bit small. The restaurants are good and the breakfast is excellent. We stayed twice and over new year it was a great New Year celebration with lots of lights and fireworks.
We did the island hopping from another resort based on previous experience.
Wifi was hopeless . But in general this is a nice place.

Room Tip: Pay attention to which room you book.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter19502013
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Peter19502013,

We’re delighted to know that our New Year’s Eve celebration left a good impression on you, and that you appreciated your room, with a mahogany 4-poster king bed and direct access to the water. And a big Thank You! for specifically mentioning that you found our restaurants good and the breakfast excellent.

We recently upgraded our Wi-Fi connectivity. By the time you come back for your next visit, we hope that like most recent guests, you will find it reliable.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I wanted to like Plantation Bay after hearing all the hype. I'm not sure what kind of hype i was listening to, but I didnt get a good deal out of the resort. yes, its one big massive resort, complete with Eloquent restaurants, a myriad of activities, and a large lagoon. Yes, its true you can jump into the lagoon from your room (some of them).

If you have ADHD or are easily bored, you wont be here! there are seemingly ENDLESS to do. You name it they have it. Scuba diving, archery, playgrounds, water slides, water sports, para sailing, jet skiing, tennis, cooking classes..whew. So much going on here. Restaurants are good. Prices are pricey.

Free internet. Room was not what i expected. Dated and not up to 3 star hotel standards. Wont be back. Really gorgeous resort. A bit too man made for me. I like the idea though. Wish they would authenticate it a bit more. I'm glad I stayed here, but wont be back.

4  Thank SonicSpringBok
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear SonicSpringBok,

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your recent visit. More than possibly any other hotel in the world, Plantation Bay takes care to disclose to prospective guests not only our prices, but also what you should not expect in respect of our facilities.

Our rates and sample prices are readily available on our website and comparable to or are even lower than in most luxury hotels in the country.

As for our rooms, we are happy to let you know that majority of our guests appreciate its quaintness and charm -- part and parcel of the whole Plantation Bay experience. But we are not opposed to renovating and updating, and have been doing so every year.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have just come back from a great week at Plantation Bay.

Great for kids:
Our children are aged 5 and (almost) 3 and the pool set up was perfect for them. From our lagoon side room, they could safely walk into the shallow water and play on the "island" in the middle of the pool while we watched from our terrace.
Our 5 year old loved the kids' craft activities every day with Rem, who was very patient with her and her constant requests to "just make one more".
The "children's center" (a room filled with toys and a TV, next to the Palermo restaurant) was, in my opinion, a bit rubbish but my children liked it, especially as they had cartoons showing all the time. It meant that my husband and I could finish our breakfasts and other meals in peace, knowing the children were safe and happy so I can't really complain about it.

Food:
We found the breakfast adequate and noticed that, as we never ate the hot food and just stuck to cereal, fruit and bread every day, we were charged a lower rate than the advertised buffet rate. This was much appreciated.
The lunch and dinner choices were also adequate. I am vegetarian and was actually pleasantly surprised at the number of choices on the Palermo lunch menus. The vegan burger for dinner at the Savannah was delicious but after the fourth time of eating it, I would have appreciated an alternative!
We didn't find the food prices too expensive but it is a shame that there are no alternatives to the resort restaurants in the area outside of the gates.

Rooms:
The room was perfectly adequate. We had 2 large beds so our children shared but this works fine for us. We had a shower which was sometimes powerful and sometimes just a dribble. We also had a deep bathtub which was great for the children.
I wasn't very impressed with the housekeeping. We had a faulty toilet which didn't flush properly and had to call maintenance out 4 times before it was properly fixed.
We also had issues with our towels not being replaced and dirty crockery not being removed from our room when it had been cleaned. All of these were rectified pretty quickly after we informed the staff but I found it quite irritating at the time.

Pool:
We liked the pool layout a lot! The various slides, waterfalls and bubble pools were good fun. The maintenance that was happening around the pool areas during our stay was sometimes irritating and I don't understand why they couldn't have done this later in the evening when most people were out of the pool.

Cebu / Mactan as a destination
It was perfect for us as we didn't want to mess around with internal flights on small aircraft to reach islands. This was a 35 minute bus transfer from the airport.
We took the free shuttle bus from the resort to the Ayala Mall one day. The mall was OK and, as Brits living overseas, we stocked up on M+S biscuits (!) before taking a cheap taxi ride (80 PHP, approx. $2) to the Santa Niño Basilica to get a bit of culture. It was worth the trip and we also saw Magellan's Cross. For us, it was a great, cheap way of seeing a bit of Cebu.

We also took the Bipolar boat trip which was a highlight for us. Whilst my husband and I snorkelled, the crew sat with the kids and fed the fish. My daughter was very excited about the different kinds of fish she saw. The island we went to was lovely and it was timed well so that we almost had it to ourselves. The kids enjoyed the chance to play on the sandy beach and paddle in the shallow sea, and we felt like we were on a desert island! I didn't think much to the lunch they provided but I should have probably told them before we left that I didn't eat meat or fish!

Conclusion:
We had a great time at a resort that worked for our family. We would definitely recommend Plantation Bay to other families with young children. It was nice to be in a resort not owned by one of the big chains as it helped us to feel that we were getting a more authentic Philippine experience. Maybe we were and maybe we weren't but we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Clare S

Dear Clare S,

We are pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed our facilities and activities, especially your Bipolar Island Experience. Plantation Bay is truly unique and offers a wide variety of activities for its guests.

We're happy to learn too that while here, you were able to visit the Sto. Niño Basilica and Magellan's Cross, two of Cebu's popular tourist attractions.

We appreciate your candid comments about Housekeeping and the Children's Center. Appropriate measures will be undertaken to address these concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!