“Ultra Fine & Exclusive Getaway”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Ultra Fine & Exclusive Getaway”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3n/4d with smooth check in and check out. When we arrive to the room, a complimentary basket of Philippine delicacies were present.

Rooms
Stayed in Piazza Palermo Rm. 32, got 2 bunk neds and 1 queen bed. Toilet and bath are absolutely clean.

Over-all service was excellent, its just that the verbiages used by some staff are unpleasant to the ears of the guest. I would like to commend all the service staff of Kilimanjaro for they did a service beyond expectation, especially Angie and Cassy.

Food and Beverages
The food was okay but I certainly think that it needs to have a makeover, from the taste down to the food presentation.

Price
If you'll think of the price on a bigger picture,according to its hotel type of course, the price is most likely the same with the other resort hotels in town.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank iamkennethbryan
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear iamkennethbryan,

We are happy to note that you appreciated the cleanliness of and the amenities in your room and that you found our prices reasonable. Thank you too for the high praise on our staff. Angie and Cassy are particularly heartened by your commendation.

And a big Thank you! for taking the time to reply to our private message to provide us with more details about your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Plantation Bay soon.

Nenette G. Castillon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Plantation bay is perfectly set up for a restful family holiday. There are many different scenes and activities to keep children amused, and the set up is very child-friendly and safe. In addition we found the choice of dining venues to be very good. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful, at times going well above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel relaxed and at home. I highly recommend the resort for families with young children.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. The non-water view rooms are excellent value.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Joel L,

With its Old Plantation atmosphere and secure layout, Plantation Bay is one of the very few resorts in the world where parents quickly feel comfortable letting children out on their own while mom and dad enjoy each other's company. Thank you for being a testament to this, and for sharing that you appreciated the service from our staff and the quality and variety of food in our restaurants.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back here soon.

Lae, PNG
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is an oasis in the middle of a typical poverty stricken area of Cebu. Once your in the resort grounds though its like being in another world. The lagoon is fantastic. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was big and airey. We had a lagoon suite which backed onto the lagoon which made swimming a treat. Plenty of things to do around the resort aswell. We tried jet skiiing, parasailing, biking and ofcourse swimming to name a few.

A few things to take note of though that may catch you unaware...
1/ It is along way from anything (SM, Ayalla Mall, Cebu City). Takes about 20 - 30 mins to get to them with taffic and after 5-6pm, your wait for a cab at the resort can be a nightmare. The resort will call one for you and it only costs PHP100 extra on the fare but its still a wait so be warned if you have dinner reservations anywhere away from the resort.

2/ If you take family or guests they have a surcharge for each person to use the facilities. PHP2000 per head for adults and discounts for kids and seniors. Whilst I have no issues with these charges, I do believe that they should offr discounts to guests that are staying at the resort (eg: half price if you are with a paying room guest) We had 3 adults and 3 kids with my wife and I and it cost PHP8200 for the family to joinus for the day. Now that does also inclube lunch for the day trippers which is actually an awesome lunch and pent of food for them from a set menu. Still no advantage for the paying room guest is a small turn off from using this facility. Even a 10 or 20% discount would be nice. The rooms are quite big and for the price are reasonable. Room price does not include any form of breakfast at all and is not an option to add either which is strange.

One last thing that seemed strange was that none of the staff are allowed to accept tips of any nature. There motto is they are happy to serve you. Whilst I understand why it could work, Im a great believer in the hospitality industry being rewarded accordingly for above and beyond efforts. If I want to tip someone for doing an exceptional job, I should be allowed and not rejected as I was. (I left a PHP20 tip with the dinner bill and I actually felt a bit offended when the waitress chased me through the crowded restaurant yelling sir, sir you cant tip us. Please take your money back. We are hear to serve you!') There are no signs that I could see in reception stating this tipping ban. Forwarning would have been nice. I know that sounds funny coming from an Australian who have a bad reputation of being cheap charlies but some of us recognise good work ethics. These guys and girls don't earn a fortune so every little bit helps their families. My 2 cents anyway!

PS: I am married to a Filipino!

Room Tip: Rooms are good but expensive compared to other parts of Cebu closer to the city. If you stay here pl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear tincoll,

Thank you for sharing your positive review on our facilities and services. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our various leisure activities.

One of the reasons for our No-Tipping Policy is to ensure that no guest gets preferential treatment just because he tips heavily, but the most important reason for this policy is that tipping can be a continuing source of anxiety to hotel guests, who will be thinking: How much should I tip? Whom should I tip? Do I have change? If I don't tip extra, will they give me a lousy table? Then, after giving a tip, guests wonder: Was it too little? Was it too much? Maybe I didn't need to tip. Because anxiety is the opposite of the fully relaxed atmosphere we wish to promote at Plantation Bay, we have a strict No-Tipping Policy.

Our staff enjoy competitive salaries and benefits that is why here at Plantation Bay, it is not unusual to find people who go the extra mile to better serve our guests.

Thanks again for your review. We look forward to your next visit.

Xiamen, China
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is my BF's third time and my first time staying at Plantation Bay. We stay about half month in between end of Jan to mid Feb. This is definitely the relaxing and romantic getaway.
I was amazed by the view when we first arrival. They specially set up our room to our need defore our arrive. Superising that they remembered the details as it has been over a year since my BF's last trip. The first room was perfect, romantic and with beautiful lagoon view.

The service is remarkble, the best service we have ever experience even with their strict no tipping service policy. They made our customized dishes off the menu as we like. We Really appreciated their caring...

Anyway, we would definitely come back if we visit Cebu again next time

Room Tip: Rooms with lagoon view are the best
Dear xmbizwhiz,

Thank you for the kind review of your two-week stay at Plantation Bay. We're happy that you found the resort ideal for a romantic and relaxing vacation, and that you found our service remarkable.

Most returning guests are pleasantly surprised to find out that we remember their preferences, and we're delighted that you shared this in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cebu soon.

Laguna Province, Philippines
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had my engagement last night and it was the most perfect place to say YES to someone you love! Ahhh everything was so perfect, the resto food was great, the server(j.p) was attentive... Credits to ms Gigi who assist my fiance in preparing for our perfect night... Simply the best, we will definitely come back to enjoy the sun, sand and sea next time.

Stayed February 2014
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Jheli,

Congratulations on your engagement!

We are heartened by the fact that you loved our ambience and food, and that you especially felt pampered by our staff during your special night. Gigi and JP appreciate your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Plantation Bay soon.

Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 26 February 2014

First time to stay at Plantation Bay... Stayed Feb 11-17.... Romantic getaway for couple.

I booked directly through their website as they offer a 25% discount for stays of at least 6 nights. I also communicated by email and phone with Guia from Reservations because we wanted to change to a Water's Edge Room, and she took care of it very smoothly and pleasantly.

Prior to our stay at Plantation, we stayed at Quest Hotel (sister hotel of Crimson) for 9 days because we wanted to be closer to Cebu City for the first part of the vacation, and then spent 2 nights at Shangri-la Mactan as we had stayed there before and enjoyed it that time (will write separate reviews on these two other hotels when I find time), and from Shangri-la we took a taxi to Plantation Bay.

I think we arrived at Plantation Bay before 2pm, the check in process was fast and all the staff were friendly and courteous. We were informed that one of the big lagoons would be drained and cleaned and have water replaced that day, and then the other one, the one by our Water's Edge Room, the next day. Even with that going on during our stay, it did not take anything away as they started the work late in the afternoon, and early the next morning the huge lagoon was already filled with water. And while one lagoon was being emptied, the other one was still useable. And we still had the pools. So not a problem at all. (Plus, I like seeing that they actually drain and clean the lagoons. Not an easy undertaking, I am sure, as these lagoons are HUGE, so kudos to the resort and the workers!)

The resort is vast and lives up to its name... You do get that very charming and authentic plantation feel (although I have never been to an actual plantation, this more than meets my expectations of what a genuine "plantation by the bay" should be like ;-))... The architecture of the buildings, the landscaping, the horse-drawn carriages, the multi-colored trams, the guests riding the cute bikes, the friendly and helpful staff... All these made us feel like we have come home to our very own tropical plantation.

Our room had a four-poster king-sized bed (loved it!), and the furniture and the shutters continue to give that luxurious plantation feel. The room was very spacious and so was the bathroom. And when you step out into the balcony, and you sit in one of the surprisingly comfortable wooden chairs, and gaze at the lagoon with its sparkling blue water, you forget that this is a luxury resort, it just feels like a tropical paradise where life is so much simpler and time just stood still. You can see the other guests, but the lagoon is so wide that it does not feel crowded at all.

There was a tray of complimentary snacks in the room. They also provided two complimentary 1.5L bottles of water everyday. And there was very good wifi signal in the room as well as in the restaurants. They gave us towel cards for the beach towels, and we can bring the towels to our room, and throughout the day, we can exchange our wet towels for new ones if we so desire.

Breakfast was not included in the room rate but we availed of the breakfast buffet package which was $30/day, and that was for both of us already. For the breakfast buffet, every morning they served different cuisines at the Kilimanjaro Cafe... Filipino, Chinese, Italian and so on. The food was always very good, so each morning I get a little bit of every hot dish that was available and then I go for seconds on the two dishes that I loved the most, and then I go back again for pastries and such. (We both gained weight from this vacation, obviously. :)) They have two juices offered and these varied everyday, but I wish there were more than two choices. Would have loved mango, I don't think we ever had mango juice during breakfast. Also, some native delicacies during the Filipino breakfast (or even daily) would have been nice... like budbud (sweet sticky rice rolls), native hot chocolate, bingka (rice bread)... I thought I saw a slice of purple maja (coconut pudding) on one of the guest's plates...?

Usually by noon we were still somewhat full from the breakfast buffet so we mostly had lunch later. We had lunch buffet at the Kilimanjaro twice and the food was very good, I would have liked more dessert choices, though ... And at other times we ordered lunch ala carte in the early afternoon. The dear man developed an attachment to the tinolang manok (chicken soup) and the sizzling squid. I think he must have ordered both of these together three times at Kilimanjaro. (I had to stop him after the third time! Haha!) His constant complaint to me was that they put very little malunggay (a green leafy vegetable) in the tinola but he only brought it to the server's attention once and when he did, our server promptly took it back to the kitchen to have more malunggay added. I had the lechon kawali (crispy deep-fried pork) and the kare-kare (stew) twice because I loved them. With every meal we requested sili (very hot peppers) and they always got them for us. The servings were generous, good for sharing. We also had lunch at Fiji once. I wish we had requested to sit in the outdoor patio overlooking the beach. We had a table inside, it was by the window but the window design did not give us an unobstructed view of the beach. He had the KFC Korean Fried Chicken and it must have been good because his plate was clean in minutes. I had the Shrimp Tempura which had four huge prawns and was beautifully presented. I would have preferred the batter to be seasoned maybe, to have more flavor; and I did not care for the dipping sauce at all... something with vinegar and tomato-based with very hot peppers was how I would have wanted my dipping sauce. I should maybe have asked for a different sauce as the staff was always wonderful and I am pretty sure they would have accomodated it had I made a request, but I didn't bother to. The Shrimp Tempura is good for sharing, and the dear man doesn't eat prawns, so I was not able to finish the whole dish by myself. The Crepe Samurai for dessert was delicious and good for sharing as well, the crepe had mango and we also ordered a serving of mango ice cream, and they went very well together... I am actually craving this right now!

For dinner, we did the dinner buffets with themed shows twice: the Sahara Nights and then the Viva España on Valentines Day. The shows themselves were really good. The sets and the costumes were nicely created; and the performers are staff members whom we have met around the resort during the day, and they are good! The star dancers of the shows are really, really good! At the end of each show they pick members of the audience for a dance lesson on-stage and everyone had lots of fun. The cuisine was of course based on the theme of the night's show and we both were not familiar with the dishes served during the Sahara Nights, so to me it was just so-so. But the belly-dancing and the fire-eating during that show was very entertaining. The Viva España buffet had lechon (roasted pig) and I was too full that I did not even go to the dessert table anymore.

On Valentine's Day, a musician played romantic love songs on a sax and violin in the evening by the lagoons... So after the Viva España show, we spent time sitting on the beach chairs by the lagoons just enjoying the music. It was a wonderful, magical evening. Back in our room, we spent time sitting in the balcony just continuing to enjoy the music, it was loud enough to be enjoyed from our balcony, but it was subdued and unobtrusive. And the balcony was big enough so we even danced :). There are several romantic areas in the resort that couples can reserve for a private dinner-for-two during Valentine's Day.

The resort offers complimentary round trip shuttle service to SM and Ayala malls twice a day, departures from Plantation are at 9 am and 12 noon. We used their car service to Ayala Mall once and it was reasonably priced at P700 (one way). That is approximately US$15. Then we just took a taxi back to the resort, we had no problem at all getting a taxi to take us back to the resort from Ayala Mall at 11:30 pm and that cost about P250 (about US$6) using the taxi meter.

We had planned on availing of the massage services at the Mogambo Spa but never got around to it, we were enjoying our lazy days too much :). I did get a mani and pedi at the spa and it was a wonderful experience. I was ushered into a private room and Angel (I hope I got her name right, I am bad with names) did a beautiful job with my nails, and we had a nice conversation, too, while she worked on my nails. Soothing music played in the background and the room was very cozy and charming. From the little that I saw, the whole spa looked beautiful and I am full of regrets now as I write this, that we did not get around to making the massage and treatment appointments.

There are many things that guests can do at the resort. I could not imagine anyone getting bored. Although we preferred to spend our days mostly just relaxing and lounging, the resort does offer numerous activities for guests: paddle-boarding, kayaking, the smaller slides by Kililamjaro, the bigger slides (at least two stories?) across Kilimanjaro, the single and tandem bikes, the fitness center, the calesa (horse-drawn carriage) rides, wall-climbing, archery, mini-golf, shooting, billiards, boat excursions, diving, jet-skiing, segways, etc.

Worth mentioning is the hut selling fresh coconut near the lobby... we loved spending a few minutes in the late afternoon just sipping very cold fresh coconut water while relaxing by the lagoon. The attendant there (regrettably did not get his name) is very pleasant and provided great guest service.

The beach is small and I think it looked like there were plenty of small rocks, but because of the lagoons and pools it did not really matter. Sometimes we spent the late afternoons just having a sweet and quiet time together watching the moon come out, there was usually only less than 5 people at the beach.

Check out was a breeze and we got complimentary shuttle service to the airport.

I must especially mention that all the staff at Plantation were great. They always had a smile and a polite greeting and were always very helpful. (I just have to say here that this was different from when we were at Shangri-la wherein staff were talking to each other in very loud obtrusive voices, and some of the staff greeted guests, some did not... the staff just seemed harried and less caring at the Shang, much to my disappointment)... The smiles we received from the staff at Plantation just had a lot more warmth and sincerity, the service a lot more courteous and attentive. Because there is a no-tipping policy, I want the staff to know through this review that we truly appreciate their warmth and the excellent service that they provided.

We will be back for sure.

1 Thank AlwaysBelieve9
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear AlwaysBelieve9,

Thank you for the detailed review. It is always a pleasure to read about reviews that elaborate the things that set us apart from other hotels and make guests come back to Plantation Bay.

We're pleased to know that you loved your romantic room accommodations, with a mahogany 4-poster king bed and direct access to our East lagoon, and that our food and themed dinner shows have won you over. And a big Thank You! for recounting the many ways to have fun at Plantation Bay, and for sharing that our lagoons and pools never get crowded. The resort is indeed very spacious, and there are so many things to do in our almost 30 acres of grounds.

We have shared your review to our staff and everyone was inspired to do even better at upholding our standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your own tropical plantation home soon.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Pros:
1. Man-made salt water lakes. There's 1 small circle with a 12 feet depth where we can experience a 4-5 feet diving. The coolest and most fun activity. The salt water is pumped in from the deep sea.
2. Restaurants with good food
3. A large resort with variety of activities ie kayaking, stand paddling on the lakes, archery, shooting range
4. Day trip is available for locals with just 2000 peso inclusive of lunch
5. Nice spa with hot water soaking area - Japanese style
6. Good customer service

Cons:
1. Toothbrush and toothpaste are not available in the rooms. Remember to take your own.
2. No beach area. There's a really small beach area where you can snorkel. Therefore the man made salt water lakes.
3. High room rates
4. Limited variety for buffet breakfast

Conclusion: Will return to try the day trip.

1 Thank Devil198
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Devil198,

Thank you for the kind sentiments about our restaurants, service, and spa. We are happy that throughout your stay, you enjoyed our facilities, particularly the lagoons and the Dive Rock. Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun, and we're happy that you appreciated our efforts and took the time to really explore the resort.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 89 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!