Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Eloisa Royal Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$123
US$96
US$72
Good 3.5/5
Dulcinea Hotel and Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$101
US$174
US$109
Average 3/5
Goldberry Suites & Hotel(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$65
Very Good 4/5
Chambre Hotel Mactan(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$31
US$14
US$13
    Excellent 5/5
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    1,954 results
    All reviewsno tipping policysalt waterwall climbingfiji restaurantlagoon sidesavannah grillmogambo springskilimanjaro cafefiring rangewater poolsman made lagoonlagoon view roomswim up barpaddle boardingpoolside roomgames roomday trippers
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 13 January 2009

We stayed at Plantation Bay on the last day of our 3-night/4-day vacation in the provinces of Cebu and Bohol. We’ve thought of staying here since we wanted to end our vacation with a bang. Prior to our stay, we’re already hearing positive feedbacks about this resort; one being the best in the Philippines and among the best resorts in the region. Having seen the websites of the three grandest resorts in Mactan (Shangri-la and Hilton being the other two), we have opted for this resort because of its lagoon set up, something that you don’t normally see even in other tropical destinations like Hawaii or Maldives.

Resort

Upon check in, I immediately went to the gazebo fronting the lobby to get a glimpse of the resort. It was a sight to behold, a couple of big lagoons surrounded by colonial style villas along the lagoon’s shore. I personally liked the walkway leading to an island and the gazebo isolated in the middle of the lagoon. We immediately wandered around after everything was settled at the lobby. I’ve noticed that the villas are grouped in different enclaves, each having its own lagoon or swimming pool. The resort has a small yet functional beachfront where, most of its water sport activities are being launched and conducted. It has several restaurants scattered strategically within the resort. Since it is relatively big in size, there are Filipino horse drawn carriages (Kalesa) and a golf cart that roam around the resort to give you a ride to your desired destination. At night, the resort transforms itself from a laidback paradise to a romantic getaway. The lagoons together with the coconut trees are well lighted. Picture taking can easily be done even during this time.

Rooms

We stayed in a lagoon view room situated at the back of the Kilimanjaro Restaurant. It is a spacious ethereal white room adorned with native furniture and accents. It has a commanding view of the water area. I loved the location of our villa because, since it is at back of the restaurant, there are only few people venturing in this side of the resort. Meanwhile, the restroom is also a winner as compared to the previous two accommodations where we went to within the trip (see Bohol Beach Club and Mango Park Hotel Review). The sink podium is made up of intricately designed capiz tiles and has a whole array of toiletries including shampoos, shower gel and lotion to name a few. The restroom is spacious and has a designated area for the shower, toilet and a bathtub, where my mom had her bubble bath. The layout allows two people to use the bathroom at the same time without invading anyone’s privacy. There were also two King-sized beds (I think) filled with soft and fluffy pillows in comfortable bed cushion. The bed was big enough to accommodate my cousin and my mom so didn’t have to request another bed for my cousin.

Spa

When we went to the Spa, the original intention was to drop off my mom for some massage package and just go back to the lagoon. But as we enter the premises of Mogambo Springs (The name of the Spa in Plantation Bay), we were mesmerized with what we saw. It felt like we were transported to an ancient Japanese village and true enough, we found out that it was patterned after a mountain type Japanese village. I was so delighted that I even booked for a massage myself. We were given a tour of the area by one of the massage therapists. There are various Jacuzzi like pools in the area, a waterfall, massage cottage and a bar at the corner of the swimming pool. The massage itself was very refreshing. Mine lasted for an hour but it felt too short because I was asleep most of the time.

Overall, the resort truly exudes that 5 star quality. It would be nice for the country to have more of this type of accommodation. It ‘s an awesome getaway for city dwellers that want to experience tranquility without the need of traveling far distances. On the other hand, this resort should try to make some details more natural looking and this includes the various manmade rock formations in the resort and the surface of the lagoons which look gridded upon close inspection. If possible, it would also be nice if they can peg their food prices to local standards because the price of the food even for a day of stay (breakfast, lunch and dinner) can surpass the cost of the accommodation in the resort.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
      • Check-in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    3  Thank armalcolite
    Reviewed 7 January 2009

Plantation Bay screams picturesqueness. The view was just outstanding everywhere. Their cheapest room (Poolside Room) was very spacious. I recommend getting double queen-sized beds as opposed to a king-sized one. I really loved their stone and marble finished-bathroom. It was huge and had a separate tub and shower. As was the lobby and their immense pools. It was indeed a symphony in water, with saltwater lagoons, waterfalls, mist caves, whirlpools, rainmakers and freshwater pools.

Apart from that, they have enough facilities to keep you from getting bored. You can go take off the excess poundage in their gym, play air hockey, pool or foosball in their game room, try their indoor firing range, archery, wall climbing, tennis courts and golf pitch-and-put.

Among their 4 restaurants, Kilimanjaro Kafe was the best, in terms of the ambiance, availability and convenience, as well the scrumptious food being served there. Although it was a bit costly. I'm pretty sure it was strategically priced for the foreign tourists.

They also have themed dinners. While we were there, the theme on our first night was Korean and we had Chinese on the second night. It's a shame we weren't able to stay longer. I wanted to try their Hawaiian theme.

I also loved The Mogambo Springs Spa. It smells really good. They have a Thalassic Pool, Cascading Massage Waterfalls, Hot Pools with Jacuzzi Jets, Steam Room and a Dry Sauna. Their full-body massage is a must try. Even pregnant women can have a massage specifically for their condition. Apart from that, they have a wide array of facial and body treatments. It was truly relaxing.

I would definitely go back to Plantation Bay. It's worth saving up for.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
      • Check-in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    2  Thank brutallyHonestVixen
    Reviewed 6 January 2009

Rooms were probably the best as they were well sized and clean. Pool had a bit of algae and the pool was a bit shallow for swimming. Cheese factor was the fake rock in the waterfall. The location is also very far from the city so if you want to get out and about you have to get a taxi, when we tried to do this we couldn't flag taxis dropping off people outside the hotel but had to book a taxi (at a cost). Food was also medicore for the price you pay, we ordered noodle soup but got instant noodles from a packet mix.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 30 November 2008

I vacationed at Plantation Bay for a couple of days. For the amounts that they were charging, I was expecting a 5 star hotel with a 5 star ambiance. But to my chagrin, it was not as I expected. Plantation Bay is ill-maintained. The pools are dirty and looks disgusting. The rooms are outdated. There are no bathrobes. The food is so-so but for the prices that they were charging, I would expect a lot more. The fees that they charge are comparable to U.S. or european fees. Everything in this place is overrated and overly expensive.

The beach is not that great either. I thought I could at least swim in the ocean but like the pools, it was not that great to swim in. Stay away as if your life depended on it!!!

They should greatly improve the place and lower their fees. Seriously, the no tipping policy is due to the fact that they overcharge you for everything else.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    7  Thank dreamk11
    Reviewed 30 November 2008

what kind of 5 Star hotel do not have cotton bathrobes and requires me to pay 2 USD for a pair of slippers? The water activities were limited due to many equipments were out of service. The price for the Introduction Dive package cost double of that offered by competitors outside of plantation bay and the dive site a small patch area in front of their private beach, which is 4 times smaller than the Maine park in a island which only requires 45 min boat ride from near by dive shop. I am so glad i venture outside of Plantation bay for my water adventures.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple