“Not worth the money”

Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
San Jose, California
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I stayed here May 16th & 17th. I was very disappointed in the hotel. We had just spending a wonderful 4 days in Bohol at the Ananyana Resort, and this resort was quite different, unfortunately not in a good way. Reminded me of a kids water park , the construction of the walls around the resort and the resort as a whole had that look about it. We are a married couple, ages 43 and 52, and we found that the resort would be best suited towards families with children. We had a room where you could enter the salt water lagoon from our deck, but I found when entering the lagoon the bottom felt slimy and the water seemed stagnant, so needless to say I got in, and got right back out. The beach area that actually goes to the ocean is a very, very small area and right next door to a public beach area. Not an inviting area to sunbathe. The public beach area also had karaoke from morning (7:00 a.m. until late in the evening), the couple we traveled with said they continually heard it. The multiple pools were just ok, not very deep if you wanted to actually swim. The restaurants were terrible for the price. They only have one place that serves breakfast - a $20 US dollars buffet, which would have been ok if the buffet had a huge selection, but it didn't and the food was only average. DInner restauarants were also very expensive - your choice was either high end, or back to the restaurant that reminded me of Denny's but a much more limited menu than Denny's and I find Denny's \much better compared to Plantation Bay. In our two week stay in the Philippines, we ate at wonderful restauarants, some very upscale in Manilla and the food was much cheaper and the quailty 10x better. They do have a game room with pool tables and a decent exercise facility. The service and employees at the resort were all very wonderful, but the resort itself we found to be just average, definately not worth what they are charging per night - we paid $168 US dollars per night. I will not definately not return.

• Liked — The service of the employees.
  • Disliked — The look and feel, very fake like, & expensive.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank SusieG63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
manila
Reviewed 27 May 2007

stayed in Plantation bay from May 23 to May 26,2007. My 5 year old daughter and 2 year old son really enjoyed the salt water lagoon. We stayed in the lagoon side. Both my kids enjoyed playing in the sand and swimming in the lagoon.
However, their room rates are very expensive and you dont get the value for your money. Their rates are more expensive than the 5 star hotels in Manila. Eating in their restaurants are expensive also and not so good. We tried eating outside the resort for a much cheaper price and the food was much better.
I dont mind paying more as long as you get the value for what you pay for.
I also checked out Shangri la Mactan on our last night and it turned out to be much better. A bit more expensive but with all their complimentaries in their package it will come out to be cheaper. I will definitely recommend Shangri la to those who want to visit Cebu. You will really get what you pay for.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank maniladentist
Manila
Reviewed 21 May 2007

plantation bay is the place to stay for people who want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the usual vacation. in short, if one wants to hide and just rest, this is the place to book. if one wants to go shop or tour other areas of cebu, then this is not the place as it is located far from the market area. there are cars for rent for people who might want to shop and buy lechon de cebu. (i think they can even buy it for you at a certain price, of course)

but since i wanted to rest, i opted for plantation bay.

first, there really is a no tipping policy. the staff will run after you to give you back any left over coins you might have left either intentionally or unntentionally. they're all accomodating and will speak to you in english.

second, there's water all over the place so cooling off is not a problem. however, if you're looking for the beach, this is not it althought they do have provisions for diving. the human-made lagoons, however, make up for this. since 90% of the lagoons are three feet in depth or even shallower, kids were confident to swim.

third, the rooms are spacious and do give a view of the lagoons. the beds are wide enough and the airconditioning units are functioning well.

fourth, the food is pricey but one of the restaurants (the one in a lagoon) serves the best choices.

fifth, one can hitch a ride in a golf cart transformed into a jeep. there's even the calesa that can take you around the resort.

although, a bit pricey compared to other resorts, plantation bay is really worth every cent. as far as the internet photos are concerned, they'll not do justice to the simple beauty of the place. also, do remember that plantation bay has been around for sometime so do not expect a resort where every inch is new.

yes, i'll be back. i've yet to experience the "spa" part of this resort.

• Liked — cleanliness and the clean water
  • Disliked — it's a bit isolated
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank coolclam
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2007

very, very good service! a friend lost 3Tpesos but later found by one of the staffs. Unbelievable! but internet pictures are alot better than what you see in reality. Great service, nontheless!

• Liked — great staff and service!
  • Disliked — too expensive foods and amenities!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank cyrillota
Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 May 2007

A beautiful resort with a great lagoon meandering throughout. We stayed in an upstairs room overlooking the lagoons. The food was great just as wel as there are no other places in this area to eat. One need not set foot off outside the resort. A bit of bad luck having a family with kids next to us and 5am noise isn't great. Buffet breakfast is great and many themed nights for dinners. Service was excellent. A great honeymon option or romantic getaway. Kids and teens wouldf also love this place too.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KristyA
NJ
Reviewed 6 May 2007

I booked through internet for a Lagoonside and a clubroom for dates April 27-29. The clubroom states that they have 2 queen size beds and 2 bunk beds. But when we checked in, the clubroom only had 2 queen sized beds. I checked with the people at the desk and they told me they have no more rooms. I let that night pass by. But then for Sunday April 29, I was expecting more company that we booked (a few months early) for another 2 Clubrooms since there will be 12 of us (6 in each room). That morning, I specifically told the desk to make sure that I have the bunk beds and they assured me there will be. But it turned out that the 2 clubrooms (supposedly with bunk beds) are not available.I was furious with the way they advertised this in the internet. So I asked them to just extend my stay in one of the Lagoonside and still take 2 of the Clubrooms. They said "were booked to capacity, mam." So I asked for a room that would accomodate 12 people and they gave me the 2 room suite in lieu of the clubrooms. It turned out the 2 room suite could only accomodate 2 families and I ended up taking the other clubroom. I did not get into the 2 room suite till 5 pm but they let us stay while we wait for our room at our old Lagoonview room of which turned out that it was not really occupied-in short they lied to us. I saw our old Lagoonview room empty that morning when I passed by. As I checked out that morning, I found out my bill was $800++. Though the 2 room suite could have only been $300++ and I only had a bill for P1600 and P3000++ charged in my room. They have very poor service. They did not even offer to upgrade our room due to their "deceitful advertising." I would not ever recommend this place nor would even come back here. They have good activities though. But we still need good service here. 2 days prior to me checking in at Plantation Bay, I was at Shangrila Resort in Mactan,Cebu. I was very pleased with their service. Though pricey, I did not regret staying there. I did not care about tipping because its all worth it. Plantation Bay has no tipping policy but with "service charges" they really kill you with that. Check next time you check out...

• Liked — their activities
  • Disliked — false advertisements
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank Aljas
Oakland, Ca
Reviewed 3 May 2007

Plantation bay hotel is the most wonderful hotel experience my wife and i have been to. We have stayed at plantation bay many times and have enjoyed it more and more every time. At first site after you enter the gates you see what appears to be a swamp ( as i looke di was wondering if we took a wrong turn). As you enter the lobby you see why the hotel is rated so well, the lobby is simple but very elegant in a style you would expect from a tropical resort. At first we where greeted by many people to help with any needs in exiting vehicle and getting baggage. All the staff greet you with a smile and a generous greeting. Check in flows with very helpful and organised manner, and are able to put you intouch with any needs you may need.
As we enter the resort we found a very beautiful tropical four section lagoon with beach sand walk areas lined with tropical plants, palm trees, gazebo's, and hamocks(the view took my breath away). The lagoon is lined with plantation style buildings with first floor rooms having a swim up deck. The transportation around the large resort road circles around the outer ring of resort with a cart or horse drawen carriage. the road is lined with signs pointing to many extra features from fitness center,fish pounds, batting cage, shooting range, climbing wall, putting green, and many other.
The rooms are very large with very simple but elegant furnishings. The linens where mostly white and very clean as if we where first people to use them. The bathroom is very large lined with marble with unique style bath with seperate shower. the room decks have very beautiful views of the lagoon with comfortable ratton furniture.
The best part of this resort is the service. the staff goes out of there way to remember guest name and greet you with a mr and mrs and a smile. our first stay with this hotel was for my wife and my engagment the hotel staff went out of there way to help me design a private beach dinner with a special non menu request, the staff added many ideas to the special night that i had not thought of and made the special evening go very smooth. We where so impressed with that service we also had our wedding reception at plantation bay. they helped us design a excellant menu in our budget for 160 plus guest and also went as wonder.
There is only one disadvantage to this resort the beach is very small and disappointing, but does have features of a dive shop and sports center for water activities.
We stayed in several rooms from two bedroom suite ($300) to lagoon view room ($120). There are four restuarants savannah grill (sandwich food two people average under $15) ,fiji( beach side seafood asian mix style mostly japanese two people average $50),kilimanjaro kafe (filipino food along with breakfast buffet two people average $20) palermo ( italian food two people $50 dollars plus).

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 89 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!