Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
US$85
US$62
US$249
  • Pool
Dulcinea Hotel and Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$46
Goldberry Suites & Hotel(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$63
US$356
US$306
Agoda.com
Eloisa Royal Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$48
Agoda.com
Chambre Hotel Mactan(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$38
US$34
Haruhay Dream Resort(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$30
  • Pool
2,682 results
All reviewsibiza beach clubmovenpick hotelsails restaurantchurrascothe executive loungemactan islandbedroom suiteprivate beachocean viewbreakfast buffetnice beachupon checkchopardjerryforumtoiletriesphilippines
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day family stay. I have mixed reviews to share about the hotel, so here are my honest personal observations and comments.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which was recently and nicely renovated and had a lovely spacious lounge with a small balcony, however for some strange reason they haven't updated the cobalt blue tiled bathrooms - weird?
Having two older children including a teenager, internet and WiFi is critical on our holidays!! This was a big problem during our stay as WiFi is only available in the lobby, not in the restaurants, nor by the pool/beach area and was totally unreliable in the suite. We also had no TV reception for the last day or so of our stay
Overall, we found the food was very average both in terms of variety and taste. The breakfast buffet caters to the very dominant Korean clientele so if you like Kimchi for breakfast, this is your hotel!! The cereals were stale each day, limited fresh fruit and no scrambled eggs, baked beans or grilled tomatoes to be found!!! The hotel doesnt have a kids menu and the food on the main menu didnt appeal to them at all. I think my kids survived on french fries and waffles (which were excellent by the way!) and the hotel's convenience store crisps etc. Weird thing was, we were told by the pool staff we couldnt eat or drink these by the hotel pool? On one occasion I had to send my son's lunch back three times when it continued to arrive covered in garlic.

The (very cold) pool is small with limited number of sun beds. When the hotel is full, it would be impossible to secure a sun bed. The music drives you insane and beware, the pool is in full shade in the afternoon, so the beach is the best option. Whilst we were sitting there, there was continual wafts of what I can only describe as 'rotten egg gas' down by the pool and the garden/beach area. I honestly dont know what it was (I asked the staff a number of times) but I always had to get up and move, it was that offensive.

We took a day trip snorkelling organised by the hotel tour office. The tour guys turned up with snorkelling equipment that should have been thrown out years ago. It was unhygienic and disgusting and we refused to leave until they were replaced. The trip itself was a disappointment too. We were supposed to go snorkelling near a particular island. It turned out that was a small area under the boat wharf that was packed with boats and people. We ended up snorkelling in the open water. Lunch was at a revolting 'seafood restaurant' over stilts. The place was unsanitary and the food awful. ( refer to the photos)We decided to return back to the hotel early.

So what did we like about the Movenpick?

The staff - very friendly and eager to please. They just need more training and experience to handle complaints and take initiative. For example, at one dinner, they served me a glass of red wine that was 'off.' The waiter told me it had been opened for 3 days and asked me if he should serve me a new bottle?!! That being said, when I came up in welts all over my legs after the snorkelling trip, the staff were so kind and came and helped me apply ointment.

The spa is FANTASTIC. I cannot praise the staff highly enough, particularly Gaia and Jenna. They were all professional, competent, skilled and lovely to deal with and all members of our family enjoyed fabulous 'great value' treatments ranging from foot massages to body massages, to facials and floral baths. They were particularly kind to my daughter who had a fantastic time there. Thank you ladies. You made our holiday special.

The entertainment in the evening down at the bar area was fabulous too. We went three nights out of the 5 nights we were there and had a great time.

The gym is also fantastic - large and full of high quality brand new equipment. Situated in a weird location - an 'unused' building across from the main hotel but excellent all the same.
My daughter loved the beach aerobics every afternoon - did feel a little like we were at Club Med but I wonder if thats the style/feel of hotel the Movenpick is aiming for?
The scheduled kids activities were also very well managed, even though there is no kids club as such.
Is the Movenpick a 5 star hotel? -Not yet in my opinion. We have stayed in the Shangri-la in Cebu and the Movenpick is just not at the same standard. Having said that, if we ever visit Cebu again, we would definitely go visit their Spa!!

Room Tip: We were in a corner room on a high level of the hotel and whilst the view was nice, the sound of the wind whistling all night was very disconcerting. I would go for a room in the middle at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank spoonos65
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

I would like to sincerely thank you for the detailed and constructive review of our property based on your recent stay with us. I am very grateful for the feedback received as this enables us to improve further.

I would like to inform you that I have already adjusted the music and volume of the music around the pool and the public areas to ensure guests can have a relaxing time while still offering ambience music for those who prefer this. The beach and garden areas are now completely without background music to create an area of relaxation.

I appreciate you pointing out the unavailability of a kids menu, something we are currently working on and which will be implemented in the near future. I fully agree with you that this is important, particularly as we serve a lot of families with children.
I was a bit surprised about your comment about the breakfast though as we are offering a wide selection of Asian as well as western choices, plus an egg station where we freshly prepare any styles of eggs based on the preference of our guests. I apologize that this was obviously not properly communicated to you by our employees in the restaurant.

I am sorry to read about your experience during your island hopping tour. While the hotel is not operating those tours but goes through a local provider, we certainly will bring this to their attention to ensure to improve on the equipment as we ll as the selection of their restaurants for lunch.

I am glad to read though that you appreciated the friendliness of our employees as well as the varied entertainment programs we offer at our Ibiza Beach Club as well as the children’s entertainment. I shall also convey your compliments to our team at the Spa, who stood out in your experience with us.

I do hope that you will give our hotel another try on a future visit to Cebu and I would be happy to assist you personally with the arrangements, so please contact me directly if you may consider to return.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and fellow travelers. The information provided is certainly of great help to me and my team.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

We have just returned from a holiday at the Moevenpick hotel in Cebu Philippines. This hotel is out of this world, the accommodation, the staff and the food all fantastic
Staff could not do enough for you no request to big or small
I would suggest if you are thinking of visiting Cebu this would be a great hotel to visit.
Very happy customers

Room Tip: All rooms are great I guess, but we were on the 22nd floor which had a great view over the island
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne B
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you very much for the excellent marks you have given us. I am very happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our team has left you with such fond memories. As you pointed out, the ocean views at our hotel are unrivaled and I am glad you enjoyed it.
We do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Again, thank you very much for your comments

Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

First the positives. Friendly, attentive, well-trained staff. Nice room, comfortable bed. Good resort location, decent pool, ok artificial beach.
But the extortionate price of the food destroys what would have been a pleasant experience. I understand a resort hikes up all its in-house prices (high overheads etc) but US$18 for a hamburger? Small steak and potatoes $39, evening buffet is an eye-watering $54. Or a 'Brazilian churrasco barbecue experience' for $60. These prices include an obligatory service charge and taxes.
This results in the hotel restaurant being virtually empty except at breakfast, when the meal is often part of the package price.
This predatory pricing extends to the hotel's small shops. A simple pair of rubber sandals that cost $2.20 in the markets outside the resort are $22 in the hotel shop! Ten times the cost.
I suggest management look at their food pricing. More guests in the restaurant ultimately means more profit for the hotel, and lower pricing means happier guests.
One last comment - why does the management think that guests relaxing on the beach would want to endure ear-splitting disco music pumped out at them every afternoon from close range. Apparently it's 'hotel policy' to do this. Perhaps a guest survey is in order...

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank youngwill100
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

I thank you for your valuable comments. I am glad that you had n overall enjoyable stay with the exception of the music played at the beach and the prices in our restaurants you pointed out.
Please note that our food and beverage prices are in line and even a bit cheaper on some items than in the other upscale beach resorts here in Cebu. We are buying prime quality ingredients for our food preparation to ensure the high quality, this results in prices that are naturally higher than in the free standing restaurants you can find outside the upscale beach resorts on Mactan Island.
In regards to your comment about the music in our public areas: While we are aiming to create an atmosphere of entertainment and chill out music throughout the hotel, I agree with you that this maybe not always in line with the desire of guests to relax at the beach. For this reason, we have already stopped the music at the beach garden and beach areas to cater to guests looking for a more quiet environment. The lobby and pool area will continue to feature chill out and lounge music to offer variety for the various expectations of our guests.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as it is always helpful to receive constructive feedback such as yours to enable us to improve further

Reviewed 5 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here last January/February 2012... we had the best vacation ever while staying @ Moevenpick for the 1st week of our trip...she grew up in Leyte, attended high school and college in Cebu, and had always stayed with relatives until we traveled together to the Phillipines...the resort was the best we ever stayed at in every way....safety, cleanliness, friendly and helpful employees, quality of dining experiences, ( a fabulous buffet)...great location with lots of activities....the nightly entertainment was a duet with a fabulous female singer...all the employees spoke with us in English or talked with my wife in their native dialect....safety and security was excellent also, as the concierge arranged for cab rides via an approved list of quality drivers....the pink icon rides into town were also convenient, comfortable, air-conditioned, and on time every day....fabulous place,...we highly recommend it and cannot wait to visit later this year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rronvo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

It is always a pleasure reading such a positive review. Although your stay took place prior to our complete transformation and renovation of the hotel, I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable time. I do hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future to enjoy the new facilities and services even more.

Thank you for sharing your comments on this platform

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Just got home from a 1 night stay there with my family. Hotel was near perfect. Great ambience, very clean, orderly, definitely near 5 star material. Seemed it was turned around 360 degrees from when it was stull under the previous management. To top it off, staff were super courteous. Best i've experienced from a cebu based hotel. I asked for a late checkout and it was given with a smile. We were able to buy the value booklet and i've got 3 more nights to avail. Definitely looking forward to those ahead. Already very excited.

I commend the manager for turning this resort around. Keep up the good work. Kudos tonyour staff. They make all the difference.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

I would like to thank you for writing about your recent experience in our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the new facilities and services provided and that you noticed the improved service attitude of our team members. As you correctly pointed out, it is the employees who make the difference and I am glad to have a team around me that is putting their best foot forward to ensure our guests will have an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance you may require.