“Small place but great experience”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel is actually quite a bit smaller than we shought, considering there are three large towers. I believe though that not all belong to the hotel and some are residential.
The hotel was newly refurbished and looks crisp and modern. The employees tried very hard to please and I observed the General Manager to be very engaging and mentoring the staff.
Will certainly bring nice memories back home.

1  Thank Beatrice U
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

I am glad to read that we have met your expectations on your recent trip to our hotel. While our grounds are not extensive as you pointed out, we believe the compact size and feel of the resort is an added advantage for people having all outlets and facilities in relatively close proximity, without long walking distances.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on this site.

Knuth Kiefer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,617)

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We have recently returned from touring the phillipines and stayed at 4 separate islands-this was only 5star hotel we used-the others were2 or 3 star.On first impression the hotel is stunning-the foyer very bright and airy with a good view of ocean.The breakfast buffet was amazing-service also excellent. Fortunately breakfast was included in our booking as other meals and drinks were exorbitant prices-there is a good italian and spanish restaurant just outside hotel! Sadly our room was very disappointing-on 5th floor with awful view.The room itself was fine but the noise was horrendous-all night barking dogs and motorbikes-then the cockerals started up but we were awake anyway! Also could hear other guests going to rooms talking outside room-they need some soundproofing.I wanted to complain about the room but we heard of guests having issues with no hot water and then no water at all so decided to tolerate it as we were there for 4 nights only.Also when we checked in and I agree with other guests that english not well understood by reception staff we asked to have a room higher up but were told that this was an upgrade costing 6000pesos-approx £100 extra so we declined. After 3 nights I encountered a person in a lift and mentioned our noisy room-to be fair we were then offerd a quiet room for our last night-why give us a noisy room in the first place? There is als a lot of renovation going on which added to the noise and also smell of paint etc. Sadly my husband had hoped when he booked this hotel it was going to be really special-I just remember it as the hotel where I never slept! If we return will be staying at Shangri-la next door.

Room Tip: ask for higher room and facing ocean
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for writing the review above as it is important for us to receive constructive customer feedback to further improve on our services. I would like to apologize that we have obviously not met your expectations and fell short on various areas of your stay. While we of course cannot control exterior influences like the noise outside the property and the sounds of the dogs and roosters, we will look into the possibility to further sound proof our rooms to provide more comfort for our guests.
I have also taken note of your comment on our food prices. I certainly agree that our prices are slightly higher than in free standing restaurants around the hotel, due to the high quality of ingredients used. However, the menu prices at our hotel are actually in line, and even a bit lower than in comparable resorts around the island. We will however look into this.

I do hope that despite your recent experience, you will give us another try if your travel plans bring you back to Cebu.

I very much appreciate you sharing your experience on this forum, in order for us to improve further.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I haven't tried any of the other hotels in the area as this was my first visit to Cebu but this place certainly must rate as one of the very best.
I didn't really like the first impression when driving in, with so many high rise towers, but ones you are settled, the place offers a great atmosphere.
The staff has been very friendly and I have to commend the entire team for really doing their level best to please each and every guest in the hotel.
The coffee shop looks a bit out of place in terms of design and furniture but overall I had a great couple of days there

Room Tip: get a room on a high floor to enjoy the great view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mike A
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

It is always nice to read a review from a satisfied customer. I thank you sincerely for writing about your stay with us and for pointing out the friendliness of our staff, who are the most important assets we have. I do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back

Reviewed 23 March 2013

The Moevenpick hotel is brand new hotel. Everything is white and so clean. A nice pool with armchairs in the water, a nice Beach where you can have a buffet in the evening. Nice rooms with view.
Entering in the hotel is nice, big white buses outside. Nice open lobby to cool the air. And the must, behind a claustra by a nice shopping place you have a surprising restroom green you may see.
A good experience.

2  Thank GuyF758

I am glad that you like the new modern and airy feel and look of our hotel and had an enjoyable stay. I appreciate very much you writing about your impression on our hotel and I hope we left you with a long lasting positive memory of your stay in Cebu.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I an d my husband stayed here for 4 nights and we took this opportunity to re-charge our batteries. The people working there seem genuine and friendly and very eager to ensure we had a lovely time.
I read mixed reviews about this plces before but I absolutely can't fault it as it is well managed and the service can compete with any five star hotel I stayed at in the region.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for the high score you have given out hotel based on your recent experience here. I am glad that out team has succeeded in meeting your expectations and I appreciate you sharing this on this forum

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had a fantastic 5 days stay and a great sunset cruise experience...If you book the hotel get with breakfast inclusive or You have to pay 1k and its eat all you can buffet of a wide variety of foods and fruits, breads everything! coming back soon..first to Moven Sentosa next month!!! More Power guys <3

Room Tip: seaview rooms overlooking the pool and The Ibiza
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 314Haha
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

It is a pleasure to read that you had a positive experience in our hotel and that you enjoyed the sunset cruise. I am equally thrilled that you will be coming back to us soon. In the meantime, I wish you a pleasant trip to our sister property in Sentosa / Singapore.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

when we arrived they couldnt find our booking and then told us that the rate we had booked was for room only when clearly it showed on our print out, it was for buffet breakfast included. having survived that we then couldnt get hot water in our shower, gerry the manager then became involved and made things right by giving us an upgrade to a suite with beautiful views which made our six day stay very pleasant. the hotel has an excellent location and has a shuttle into cebu to two different shopping malls. the staff are very friendly in fact they seem genuinely interested in talking to you. the buffet breakfast although adequate was slanted towards korean tastes as they had large numbers of koreans staying there. we had several dinners a la carte and enjoyed these meals.

Room Tip: get a room with ocean views
1  Thank barry c
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

I am glad to read that we have recovered the initial negative impression upon your arrival at the hotel. Needless to say, such problems should not have occurred and we will look into this to improve our services in those areas. I am however happy that our employees have stood out as genuinely friendly and engaging, which I believe is our greatest asset in our hotel.
I hope we have a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#15 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!