“it's more fun in the Philippines!”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“it's more fun in the Philippines!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We took a week off from our jobs in the UAE to travel to the Philippines and as we know Moevenpick from the Middle East, we thought we give this one a try.
No regrets, this hotel was a great pick. We were initially hesitant to book it as the rate was above some of the other hotels, but ones we arrived, we certainly couldn't find anything wrong with the place, or the price.
Very modern design and great entertainment in the evening and nice activities for our son. Staff was friendly throughout and our housekeeping girl was always pleasant and did a good job attending to our requests.
Would love to go back, but unfortunately the fact that there are no direct flights from the UAE makes it a bit of a tiring trip for us, travelling with a small child.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your break here at our hotel in Cebu. As you pointed out, our company has number of hotels in the UAE and we are glad we could live up you your expectations based on your experience at our sister hotels.
I agree that the flight connections from the UAE are not yet seamless as we are lacking a direct flight to Cebu, but hopefully this will be addressed in the future to make travelling from this region to Cebu easier.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Nice, France
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had a very relaxing stay at this place. The location is great as it only took us maybe 10 minutes from the airport, so we didn't spent half the first day travelling to a resort that maybe a few hours away, which I always value.
The service was remarkably friendly and efficient. We saw several managers walking around, and each morning some of the management were going on, what seemed to be an inspection tour, which shows great care I believe.
The bathrooms were ok, but somehow felt a bit dated and the bathroom fixtures have seen better days, but other than that, it was a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I appreciate the high marks you have given us and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again here on a future visit.
I have taken note of your comment regarding the condition of the bathroom fixtures and we will look into this to make the necessary improvements.

Thanks again

Cebu, Philippines
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Spent a half day in the resort with officemets, their family and my boyfriend. I can feel the warm welcome when we go out from the taxi. Very nice furnitures. Welcoming ambiance in the lobby. The beach was nice, my boyfriend had a good time sunbathing and swimming. The pool looks amazing when at night. The lights in the chairs were very beautiful. They have nice garden also. I really thought that this hotel something like social, but when I got there, its really not.
I am looking forward to stay for few days in this hotel/resort next time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
I am glad that you and your family had an enjoyable day in our hotel. I appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your say and I do hope we can welcome you back for an overnight stay in the future?

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 May 2013

It's our first came back after the renovation, the decoration is much better than before! Here are some comments.

1. The food quality in Ibiza is good
2. A man was playing a model boat in high speed in the beach area which is very dangerous, we then told the lifeguard to look into the matter, and he stopped to play it finally. I think it should be prohibited as it’s dangerous to swimmers.
3. Staff is nice and helpful, especially Ariel who served in the lobby area.
4. It only provided a small shuttle going to the shopping centers (10 seats only), some customers were unable to reserve the seat.

Room Tip: Must stay at the ocean view room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for your review, the positive score you have given us as well as the useful feedback. I Totally agree with you that we should not permit speed boat models to be used at our beachfront for safety reasons, and we will put the necessary procedures in place to prevent this for the future.
We actually have larger shuttle buses which are currently maintained however and will be back in service shortly.
Thanks again for your review.

Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Spent a day in the resort with the family. Even from the lobby you can feel it's going to be a great day. Beautiful interioirs. Interesting furnitures. Absolutely great service. A plus is that everything is near. The beach, the pools, the lobby, the restaurants are just a few steps away. It made such an impact for me as I have 2 growing kids and no nanny. Carrying the essentials with me was not that much of a chore. Beautiful beautiul shoreline. Never have we stayed for a long time at a resort's shores. At sunset, the whole place came more alive with the lights. We've never tasted pizza that came that close to Italian pizza. Highly recommended. We were there for day use. I believe the package came with a delicious scoop of Movenpick ice cream. We would love to stay overnight someday.

• Stayed April 2013
Although you only stayed at our hotel during the day, I am happy that you had such an enjoyable time at our beach, pool and other public areas.
If ever you would like to stay with us over night, please feel free to contact me directly so I can take care of the arrangements for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed in the Movenpick Hotel last weekend. I have stayed in over 50 resorts between 20 some odd countries - this hotel is by far the BEST. The service is impeccable with being greeted as soon as the taxi pulls up. I don't think I ever had to lift a bag! The ladies are gorgeous and friendly. They have the best coffee machine in the ASEAN region and the wine is Manny O. I checked in at night and right away was walked to my room and given a tour of my suite. From the balcony they pointed out the Ibiza themed restaurant and bar, which they later walked me down to. It has great food, service, and a gorgeous view. Even nets hanging over the ocean where you lie and watch the stars while you eat and listen to live music!!! The next day I was able to choose from a wide range of activities and water sports. Usually when I go on vacation I like to leave the hotel and see the area ... This was the first time I never left the resort!!! It was that good. I will be back and recommend all my friends and family to travel to experience this amazing resort!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
I a obviously thrilled by the headline of your review, even though we are probably not quite at that level yet, but we are working hard to constantly improve on our services and facilities. Comments like yours give me the confidence that we are on the right track in this regard and we are happy that our guests enjoy their experience with us.
I would like to thank you for your positive words throughout and we certainly hope that you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your opinion on this website

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I checked out of the Plantation Bay looking for a better choice. Shangri-La quoted me an outrageous rate so I opted for this hotel. I stayed in their property in Phuket before I did like the experience and this time it wasn't any different.
The place is newly renovated and although the furniture in the rooms are not going to last them for a long time (I am in the furniture business), the rest of the hotel is done nicely and the service is great. one of the employees at the Front desk (sorry forgot her name) gave us a nice orientation of the hotel and offered us bookings at their beach club and Spa. This was done very naturally and didn't sound like a sales pitch, which I always hate.
Beach is small, but clean and neat, I guess there are no long beaches in this area anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had an equally positive experience at our property in Phuket.
I appreciate as well you pointing out the friendliness of our employees as this is obviously the very heart of our operation. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcoming you back again on one of your future travels to Cebu.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#13 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 90 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!