“Spend your money somewhere else!”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Spend your money somewhere else!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed at the suite of this hotel recently.

The bathroom of the suites were small and the layout was so cramped, the tiles and decor were tacky, the shower fixtures were flimsy and hard to control out since it is china made and of poor quality. Not what you expect from a hotel at all. The housekeeping staff, however, were efficient and cleaned the rooms well.

The restaurant options were very limited but had good food (expensive), the service is one of the worse that you will find around the Philippines. The service staff were untrained and you had to followup several times before you get your order. It was a very frustrating experience to dine in the restaurants. There were a lot of flies inside the restaurants that did not seem to bother the restaurant staff.

The front desk personnel were in a class all their own, they spoke english but did not understand instructions. I speak cebuano fluently and did not also understand that, they were more focused on showing us that they could speak english but did not bother to understand that we just wanted our rooms. We booked a total of four rooms and made us wait for the turnover of one room for four hours. So frustrating!

The beach staff were almost absent so if you want to order something, you have to wait around 30 minutes for a waiter to arrive and another 30 minutes for your order to arrive. You have to repeatedly request for towels or bread for fish feeding before any of these things get to you.

The Ibiza beach restaurant/club is very nice but again the service is so poor. the food is so slow on the Churrasco/Brazilian Barbeque that we started dinner at 9pm even though we arrived at the restaurant and started ordering at 7:30pm.

Please save yourself the aggravation. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Needless to say, we are not staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not get the suites, request for newer/newly renovated rooms. Rooms have very small beds, the bed...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank cassava001
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
I would like to start by sincerely apologizing for not delivering you with the experience you expected at our hotel. Clearly, we have failed on various levels to provide service expected from a hotel such as ours.

I thank you for pointing those areas out to us so we can continue to improve and train our team members.

While I certainly understand the low rating you have attached to this review based on the disappointment of your stay, I was a bit surprised about your comment on our bathrooms, as they are not generally considered small by our guests. Additionally, the comment you made in regards to the Brazilian Churrasco surprised me, as this concept actually offers a salad and starter buffet and different cuts of meat and seafood served at your table, hence there should not be any real waiting time for the food to be served ones ordered. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly via my email ( Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com ) to provide further details and to give me an opportunity to better understand the problem you encountered.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The food in the Ibiza beach club was good, especially the chirrasco. Great food, great wine, great music from the in house dj. The whole trip - from the airport pick up to the airport drop off - was stress free!

1 Thank Chttan
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thanks a lot for the positive words about your stay and your experience at our signature outlet he Ibiza Beach Club in particular. I am glad to read that you enjoyed this unique and trendy place and we hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Food is brilliant and I cook a lot. Cleanliness is spotless. Prices are ridiculously low for the quality. The facilities excellent, ambiance is perfect. Don't even think about staying in any other resort. The people in Shangrila are actually swimming over to use the facilities and eat the food. Go while the prices are low as they are bound to go up soon.

1 Thank CharlesCedricTanedo
Thank you very much for the very positive review you have written on this site. I am glad to read that we have met your expectations in all areas. I am not entirely sure if guests indeed would swim from the neighboring hotel to our property to eat in our restaurants, as the walk would likely be much faster and hassle free, we are obviously happy if guests, not staying with us also appreciate the brand new facilities.
In regards to our prices, I am glad that you find them low for the value we provide, and while there may certainly be rate increases at some point in the future, we always aim to provide our guests with great value for the money they spend at our hotel.

Thanks again and I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

No Fixed Address
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

It's nice and hip. Decent rooms. Ok food. Staff very courteous (as expected with the warm an friendly people). Quiet with not too many guests. Only down side is small recreational options. I tried this place but as its feels more like a business hotel, crimson resort is still my hideaway when in cebu

1 Thank Quadros_Kris
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
I am happy to read that you generally enjoyed your stay and the experience here at our hotel. I was a bit surprised to read that you felt that we had limited recreation options available as we have a full service water sports center, which provides all kinds of water sports options, plus a games room and one of the most well equipped gymnasiums plus a full service Spa at our hotel, plus various activities throughout the day that include, yoga, Pilates and other activities that we offer to our guests.
I understand that for a “hideaway” experience our hotel might not be your first choice as we aim to offer a more “lifestyle” aimed atmosphere. I do hope so that we may have an opportunity to welcome you back again on one of your future visits to Cebu.

I very much appreciate your feedback

Singapore
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here with my big family group (a suite and two de luxe rooms) for three days. As soon as we arrived, we were impressed with the "feel" of the place -- it felt fun and young (and funky). The initial positive feeling soon went away as the check-in process proved frustratingly long. Granted, we had several rooms with different rates (using some membership vouchers in one of the rooms) and everything had to be sorted out, but a one-hour wait for everyone in my group and several hand-offs from one front desk staff to the next was too much to bear. We felt like just walking out and staying somewhere else really. We had to go through a very cumbersome process of getting everything in order -- with staff not keeping track of what processes/rooms have been sorted, despite repeated clarification with these staff. It was a check-in process that was drastically, severely inefficient. At the end of the process when everything seemed sorted out, I asked the staff if they can transfer points to partner airlines for mileage (a pretty standard question, I assumed), and she seemed to be unaware of such things. She eventually admitted she was new to the job. As if that was a comforting enough explanation.

Throughout our stay, there were even more irritatingly slow processes:
- We asked for extra bath towels, which arrived only after five calls to the staff. Took us 45 minutes to sort that out.
- Waiting for a taxi to Cebu City was a nightmare on a Saturday night. We booked a taxi 1.5 hours before, and when we got to the lobby, we were still fifth in the queue. We resorted to an expensive transport option (car hire from the hotel), which even then had a ten-minute waiting time. Quite an expensive proposition, I thought -- but we had to go to town because we had a dinner booked (we were one hour late). The transport staff were nice though. My advice is for guests to rent a car if they can for a day (if they want to get to town). Otherwise, prepare to just stay at the resort -- there are food options within anyway.
- There is no wi-fi in the rooms, but you can ask for a wi-fi plug-in (if available). Ours arrived after 30 minutes. We would have had to do a LAN cable otherwise (what luck for the iPad user).

Other disappointments:
- The two bedroom suite had transparent doors for both bathrooms. Good for honeymoon, bad if you are traveling with a family of grown-ups. The hotel eventually provided us with a cloth to cover the door (we had to make do with that), but even then you can still see through if the bathroom light was on. The solution was to use the curtain and keep the bath light dimmed.
- They should give guests unlimited supply of drinking water (this is a resort after all). Other hotels already do that, but they only give you two small-sized bottles per room per night (and let you pay 25 pesos for extra bottles). They probably expect guests to check in with water bottles, or run somewhere to get water.

I can't sign off without citing good points
- The place has a fun, party vibe. The glowing beach chairs were an added plus. Great concept! Nice ambiance.
- The kiddy wading pool was heated. Or seemed like it.
- Great service and food at the breakfast area. Try the waffles!!! We loved it!
- Well equipped gym.
- The Guiseppe pizza place right across the street was excellent! Great food and reasonable price. The Italian chef cooked us an excellent pasta dish that the local cook seemed unfamiliar with.
- The check-out process was easy. Just pay.

I'll probably stay here next time, but will severely lower my expectations of service (so much for expecting much from a Swiss brand).

Room Tip: The suites have great panoramic views. The standard rooms look out into the next building.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MYKNN
Please let me start by apologizing for the various service lapses you and your family encountered during your visit to our hotel. While you pointed out that your booking was made for several rooms with various arrangements, this still does not justify of course such a long check-in process.
In addition there were a number of other issues which I appreciate you pointing out to me so we can work on improvements in those areas.
On a positive note, I am happy that you liked the modern look and feel of our hotel and I do hope you give us another chance on a future visit to re-gain your confidence in our services and our brand. I am confident that we would leave you with a better experience on your next visit and I invite you to contact me directly if you are considering to return so I can ensure your stay will be a pleasant one.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We took a week off from our jobs in the UAE to travel to the Philippines and as we know Moevenpick from the Middle East, we thought we give this one a try.
No regrets, this hotel was a great pick. We were initially hesitant to book it as the rate was above some of the other hotels, but ones we arrived, we certainly couldn't find anything wrong with the place, or the price.
Very modern design and great entertainment in the evening and nice activities for our son. Staff was friendly throughout and our housekeeping girl was always pleasant and did a good job attending to our requests.
Would love to go back, but unfortunately the fact that there are no direct flights from the UAE makes it a bit of a tiring trip for us, travelling with a small child.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your break here at our hotel in Cebu. As you pointed out, our company has number of hotels in the UAE and we are glad we could live up you your expectations based on your experience at our sister hotels.
I agree that the flight connections from the UAE are not yet seamless as we are lacking a direct flight to Cebu, but hopefully this will be addressed in the future to make travelling from this region to Cebu easier.

Nice, France
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had a very relaxing stay at this place. The location is great as it only took us maybe 10 minutes from the airport, so we didn't spent half the first day travelling to a resort that maybe a few hours away, which I always value.
The service was remarkably friendly and efficient. We saw several managers walking around, and each morning some of the management were going on, what seemed to be an inspection tour, which shows great care I believe.
The bathrooms were ok, but somehow felt a bit dated and the bathroom fixtures have seen better days, but other than that, it was a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I appreciate the high marks you have given us and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again here on a future visit.
I have taken note of your comment regarding the condition of the bathroom fixtures and we will look into this to make the necessary improvements.

Thanks again

#13 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 90 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!