“Passionately Swiss!”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I Few minutes away from the Mactan airport, I stayed here with a friend to escape the busy and stressful life in the Metro. Standard room is nice and comfy. Sand is rather rocky and shelly so when we ask for aqua shoes the staff said that it's for rent!! The resort is also remote, so guests have to use the food options within the resort, some are costly. We tried the buffet breakfast, and it was good. Satisfying, though they can probably add more variations. We would recommend this resort but be prepared to spend!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

I would like to thank you for the positive comments and rating of our hotel.
I was a bit surprised that you mentioned our beach being rocky and shelly as we have one of the sandiest beaches on Mactan and generally have no complaints about rocks in our beach and water areas. I will look into this and see if there are some rocks we may have overlooked.
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Think of Moevenpick and that brings up Swiss-standard service and impeccable organisational skills. Unfortunately this hotel's management put their own service and operational staff to the test with obvious limitations of their hardware - by flooding the resort with bus load of Korean tour groups.

Service and operational staff withstand the pressure coming from hungry morning guests. However, the breakfast restaurant simply cannot accommodate the incessant flow of guests when the hotel is running at full capacity. Guest were informed to seat at the lobby to wait for their turns. As a business traveler, the situation of waiting, queuing to get in, rushing with kids and angry parents to get an omelette is not an ideal scene for a resort.

I hope while the hotel could review this situation, designate an area for tour groups or for business travelers especially if the management decides to fill the resort with massive tour groups. Good-paying business and honeymoon guests will be turned off in exchange for perhaps massive budget groups.

Similar situation was experienced at the pool where towels were insufficient to meet demand. Needless to say the same at the bus transfer. If the management is so hungry for filing occupancy with tour groups, it helps to take into consideration hardware capacity.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Frustrated1012013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Let me start of by apologizing to you for the negative experience you had during your recent stay. Your comments are important for us to improve any shortcomings that occur occasionally in our operations.

During the period of your stay, it was a major holiday in Korea and all hotels in Cebu were experiencing an influx of guest from Korea, spending their holidays here in the Philippines. However, just to clarify: While it may have come across to you that those were possibly tour groups on a discounted arrangements, the vast majority of our guests were in fact individual couples or families and not tour groups. Hence to separate those would not have been possible, nor correct from our side.

However, your comments on the rush at breakfast are certainly valid and we have looked into this to further improve. Again, I apologize for not living up to your expectation as we were experience a large amount of guests over this special period.

I do hope though you are giving us another try on a future visit to Cebu.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

3 days and 3 nights at Movenpick Mactan seems so short a time .. i wished it was longer .Movenpick is more than a five star hotel for me,knowing it is safe for kids...Lobby lounge is so refreshing,relaxed,and dainty.
The management and staff was very polite,the food at Ibiza Beach Club was superb,night time entertainment was excellent,buffet breakfast was great that it was a brunch for me and my family.Clean rooms....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gleeziemartinez22
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

I very much appreciate the high ratings you have given us. I am glad to read that you and your family had such a fantastic time at our hotel.
The safety for children is a very important aspect that gets pointed out to us by a number of our guests as the facilities are close to each other and our beach has a natural protection against waves due to our Ibiza Beach Club.
I am glad we lived up to your expectations and I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed in Movenpick Cebu for the 70.3 Ironman and the Ironkids race. We were a total of 8 people. My husband and I brought our 5 children and a nanny. The hotel had enough space for just the right amenities to keep all my children ages 16-2 years old occupied and it was easy to find them and round them all up when we had to come together to eat or move about as the hotel facilities were close together. My baby loved playing in the sand and of course the beach. The bigger kids enjoyed playing billiards.

The service is impeccable and very personalized. We were constantly being checked on and being handed information about flight schedules, hotel activities and things like umbrellas (as it was a rainy weekend), etc. Tracy helped us make sure our bike mechanic found our bikes and assisted in making sure they were assembled just in time for them to be checked in at our transition area in the venue hotel for the Ironkids, Ironman race. She also helped locate my kids when I couldn't find them. Yam made sure all our children were dry and their stuff complete. Ellyn gave us the best dining experience every time we set out to eat in the buffet area.

The rooms were clean and orderly and love the amenities they offer in the bathroom(check it out). Our kids had a blast taking turns in their jacuzzi/bathtub.

One of the most amazing things about our stay was how we were safely given refuge during the rain and brought to the airport to catch our flight when all the roads were closed in Cebu due to the races. It's like every detail was well planned for the safety and convenience of their guests. A pump boat waited for us just right after I finished the swim leg of my relay Ironman event. My baby and I were met by a van in another island and then brought to the airport.

Every once in a while we would be checked on by owners Manny O. and his son ManMan to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Truly personalized in every way.

Thank you, Movenpick for a memorable weekend! Hope to be back very soon!

Maricel Pangilinan

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MommyMaricel
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Mrs. Pangilinan,

thank you very much for your positive feedback. Despite the weather, I hope you had an enjoyable stay and ironman event here in Cebu.

I appreciate very much you pointing out Tracy, Yam and Ellyn as some of the employees who stood out during your stay. I will certainly share your comments with them.
I am happy that our efforts in providing our guests a relatively seamless experience, despite the road closures and difficulties to reach the airport, are noticed and appreciated. My entire team has worked very hard over this extremely busy weekend to ensure our guests are taken care of.

I do hope to see you back again here at the Moevenpick very soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

having stayed in 3 hotels here in Cebu for the past 3 nights, this one takes the top spot. They were very busy due to the Ironman event that took place that weekend but they were still able to be always friendly and customer focused.
The rooms at Radisson I found more posh and five star but the one here were ok as well.
The staff truly makes the difference here I have to say and we hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ADayrit

I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us despite the hectic weekend here during the Ironman event. The credit goes to my entire team who have worked long hours over this very busy weekend but still kept up their smiles and service focus.
Unfortunately the weather was not the best during this period but we hope to welcome you back in the future for another stay with us so you might enjoy it even more.

thanks again

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My family and in-laws had a wonderful,wonderful vacation time at Moevenpick Hotel,Mactan. I highly recommend this place to everyone for these reasons:

1. Creativity

= they have chic,modern decor without being intimidating
= IBIZA Lounge has the best sound system out there,a live band no less,
jacuzzi,and their 12-course Brazilian Churrasco dinner gets an extra star
( you got to taste this...AAA!)
= Reception area has tall pillars and has just the right touch of color around
= the bedrooms have decent sizes and reasonably priced ( that see-through
closet wall to the bathroom is interesting,though)

2. Ambiance

= I got "the bang for my buck" here especially at night at the swimming pool,
with "LED seats". The seats have changed the dynamics of the pool,made it
fun and welcome for non-swimmers like me (super like them...unique and
special!, I find)
= and the grounds' view is quite gorgeous from any vista point at night.

Kudos, Moevenpick Hotel,Mactan and staff for making our stay truly delightful and memorable.

I would surely stay here again next time and happy to share my family's experience at Moevenpick to others.

Room Tip: Rooms may have1- 2 balconies, Other rooms may have bigger living room than the bedroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JAG m
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experiences and comments on this platform. I do hope your comments will be useful for other travelers, considering our hotel for their visit to Cebu.
I appreciate the positive feedback and I am glad to read that you found the overall experience a positive one.
I do hope we can welcome you back again on a future trip to Cebu.

general Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2013

As mentioned by the previous review, I too have stayed in this establishment when it was still the Hilton, and I recently stayed here, now as Moevenpick. When I got in the hotel, the lobby is totally diffferent. From the old looking pinkish mediterranean look, its now the predominantly light colored modern looking motif. Unfortunately, the space is still the same. Limitied space in the check in counter makes it very cramped. They also only have 3 elevators that are not well synchronized. Imagine this, when you are at your room floor and you press the elevator button, the elevator located nearest to you is not the one that activates, but somehow the other elevator. What a waste of time and electricity. And since the hotel building is over 20 floors, 3 elevators have to move fast, and synchronized well. We got room 1501 while we also occupied 1601 and 1701, the two bedroom units. The aircons were good, except I had to call engineering to have one of the bedroom's aircon unit cleaned. I am not a fan of above counter sinks, and our bathroom counter faucet had a slight leak everytime you use it and it flows on the counter and onto the floor. The counter is always wet in an above table sink, regardless if the faucet has a leak or not.

Breakfast was chaotic. The whole place is cramped. Too many people, too little space available.

I love the way they have set up the bar and beach restaurant. Its just my bad luck that it rained, so it put a damper into the party atmosphere. Great DJ mix. I also noticed the seawater is clear, and no seagrass as what I would see at shangrila mactan. What did you do to have clear seawater, moevenpick? Great job! Now, you need to increase the perimeter wall that separates the side of the walkway to the public pier beside. Its disconcerting when there are people who stand on top of the roofs of the public terminal under construction oggling at whoever they see at the beach area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank al22tecc
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

I am very happy that you, like the previous reviewer, appreciates the major changes we have made at out hotel to make this a truly unique place.
I appreciate you pointing out some of the problems you encountered so we can look into this and rectify those issues. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you .
In regards to your question on how we keep our seawater clear: We basically have constantly staff members taking out floating sea grass on the surface of the water but most importantly, our Ibiza Beach club forms a protecting cove that keeps debris largely out of our beach and sea water areas, resulting in very clear water most of the time, unless of heavy weather conditions.

I understand you comment as well in regards to the perimeter wall. however, we have consciously reduced this wall to allow guests to enjoy the surrounding sea views and add a sense of place. The current construction next door will be completed very shortly and therefore this problem will not occur in the future.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back here again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!