“Beautiful friendly people”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I only returned home today 12.11.13, I were there through Yolanda.
All the staff are extremely friendly, the resort is very well maintained and peoples safety was their first priority. Meals as a overall were very good.
The only downside for me was the Ibiza dining, Personally I feel it is far overpriced
The Spa and massage service, Although a beautiful experience, again a little overpriced

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Allan C
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind words about our team.
We are glad that the recent Typhoon we experienced caused no injuries to any of our employees or guests, which is indeed our top priority in such unfortunate situations.
Fortunately Cebu was not that strongly hit and the Typhoon only caused minor damage in the area.
I was a bit surprised that you found our offer at the Ibiza Beach Club overprized as guests generally find it good value, considering the large amount of imported meats we are offering from our Churrasco?

We do hope that you will chose to stay with us again on a future visit to Cebu and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks again

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We really like this hotel and the service staff here.
It is very kl\\cleen and new place and the food also very delicious. We enjoy all the activities like free yoga in the morning. we never try before and it was vert\y tired but fun to do.
Also breakfast and internet very good in this hotel and we will travel here again in the future if we have vacation

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

We are happy to read that you enjoyed our activities which we provide free of charge for our hotel guests. I am also happy that you found the breakfast and internet connection we provide of good quality.
as you indicated that you are planning to return to us in the future, please feel free to contact me personally so I can handle your booking requirements.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience here with other travelers.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

a real good choice when staying in Cebu I have to say. We arrived with medium expectations and were absolutely thrilled with our stay. The staff is professional and friendly and they all seem to enjoy their wwork. they recently went through the experience of an earthquake we learned and there was a typhoon developing in the area as well but all seemed to bne positive and only had the best for the guests in mind. A real refreshing attitude which some other countries could learn from.
We enjoyed the food and restaurants and I particularly liked the small marine sanctuary a bit off the beach as it was so convenient for snorkeling as there were tons of fish to be spotted.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I thank you for your positive words and the high rating you have given us.
As you outlined, we had to go through a number of natural disasters recently including the earthquake in Bohol and the Super Typhoon a few days back. I am happy that our efforts in training our employees has resulted in those situations being handled calmly and professionally by the entire team here.
I also appreciate you pointing out our marine sanctuary which is conveniently located just off our beach.
I do hope we have an opportunity to visit us again soon

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Upon checking reviews on Trip Advisor I chose Moevenpick and discovered that it exceeded any expectations on I had of the hotel. From the moment of arrival to departure one is made to feel most welcome and "at home' by the very obliging and courteous staff.
The entrance lobby; its view, décor and ambience is second to none when one is wanting a relaxing break as one gets the holiday feeling immediately upon arrival.
The room was vey comfortable. The variety of restaurants served an excellent variety of food in more than ample proportions. The offered package for the Executive lounge enhanced the break.
The pool is of unique design, not to forget the Ibiza Club.
Indeed I discovered a "treasure".

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

I am delighted to read your positive review and we are certainly glad to learn that we have exceeded your expectations. It is always nice to receive positive feedback like yours and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I thought the Movenpick was great. The pool area is lovely with plenty of comfy beds (I fell asleep!! So make sure you have the sun tan lotion on). There are also plenty of beds down on the grass and towards the beach.

The hotel has a cool vibe to it and it's really nice to sit outside at the bar in the evening, listening to the DJ. The food was fairly good and the service quick.

The rooms are modern and fresh. the bed is comfy and the bathroom well stocked.

There is a shuttle service into the city stopping off at the malls which was a good way to get into the city to explore some of the sites.

We paid the extra to have lounge access which was good and allowed us to have a few drinks in the evening before going to dinner. I wouldn't recommend having breakfast in the lounge though and instead would suggest going downstairs as there are far more choices. I'm sure the staff would get you whatever you want but I felt it was easier to go to the lobby and have everything available there.

All in all a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel on this website.
We are happy to read that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that you appreciated the facilities and services at our uniquely "lifestyle" focused hotel.

I agree with your statement that the food selection in our main restaurant exceeds the one provided in our Executive Club. Many guests however enjoy the exclusivity of our Executive Club Lounge, and as you correctly pointed out, our staff is happy to provide them the food of their choice in the Lounge as well upon request.

We do hope to welcome you back again very soon and please let us know if we can be of any assistance with a future booking.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here the weekend after the earthquake, not that you'd really have known there had been one. There was a little bit of damage to the facade in the lobby but certainly nothing major and it didn't appear to have had any impact otherwise. We had called up a couple of days in advance to confirm that everything was ok and they were still telling visitors to come, I did think the hotel could have been more pro-active in sending out emails to people who had bookings although we booked through Kayak so maybe they did and Kayak didn't pass it on.

In any case the hotel is quite nice, I'd give it a solid 4 star rating. The star are very friendly, always smiling and helpful. In particular the american guy at the swim/dive centre near the beach was quite good.

The food in the restaurants was ok, overpriced for what it is I thought but probably comparable to most other resorts to be honest. I wouldn't say it was outstanding quality but we certainly didn't have any issues with it. We went to the Ibiza beach club for drinks one evening where they have a 2 for 1 deal on drinks, however the second drink has to be exactly the same. I'm guessing this is fine for a lot of people but we were having cocktails and trying to mix it up a bit, so when we got told each drink had to be exactly the same instead of being able to have a different one (all the cocktails are exactly the same price) it was a bit of a surprise and seemed a bit petty. I could understand if the drinks had been different prices but they weren't, it just seems like a bit of a trap. Having said that the drinks were quite nice and even at normal prices of about $8 a cocktail it's good value, at the 2 for 1 deal it's great.

The rooms themselves were nice enough, we got upgraded to a suite (presumably because a lot of people cancelled due to the earthquake) which had a lovely view of the beach. There were a few minor issues with some power points not working and the lighting being inadequate right next to the hotel safe but otherwise no real issues there. One annoyance here was that when we asked the receptionist if it was safe to drink the tap water she said no but there was bottled water provided. Yes, two small 250 ml bottles of it, and after that you had to buy it. I'm sorry but if you're staying in a resort hotel and you can't drink the water without paying for it then that's pretty poor. There should be big bottles of water in the room and somewhere on each floor that has additional bottles for free.

All up, I think that the hotel is good but not great. The staff are definitely very friendly and helpful, the resort looks great and has a decent number of amenities, but they're dragged down by petty policies on the drinks and not having free bottled water given you can't drink the tap water. There's certainly nothing wrong with it but if I was to go back to Cebu I'd be tempted to give another resort a chance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Let me start by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Cebu. We fully understand that there are various choices of hotels you can select from and we appreciating your trust in us.
Wee did in fact send out advisories to our business partners after the earthquake, telling them that we have not suffered any structural damage to the building and all activities and services are ongoing. This may have not reached you though, which I would like to apologize for.

As for your comment in regards to the happy hour. It is in face common practice on a "buy one get one free" happy hour that the exact same drink that was served originally would be served as the free drink. Receiving your comment though I have to agree with you that for a guest this really makes no sense. There are actually reasons for this policy in regards to internal processes, but sometimes one gets caught up in internal processes, forgetting the impact on the guest experience.
This being said, I have lifted this policy with immediate effect and guests will have a choice on their second drink. I am glad to receive feedback such as yours as it gives us an opportunity to re-evaluate our services and make adjustments where possible.

While I understand from your feedback that we have not necessarily impressed us on your fist visit, I do hope you give us another try on a future visit to Cebu.

Thanks again

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Family of five had a great time chilling at this wonderful hotel. Beach is small as in very small, but if you are after a relax spot in the sun this is a good option. No long walks on the beach, it must be only 50m long, but plenty of sun lounges and sun.

Draw back is price of food, others have mentioned andveyvare correct, well overpriced.

Overall a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the ocean. Family room two bedroom and we put in one rollaway , plenty of space