“Disappointing”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed here on the way back from a diving trip to the south. We had stayed at the nearby Shangri-La on this trip as well, for a similar price. The Movenpick has very friendly and helpful staff and that improved our stay, which was otherwise disappointing and poor value, especially in comparison.

When we arrived, the water for the tub/shower was only lukewarm - too cold to give our daughter a bath. Someone came to look at and provided us with an explanation hat made no sense but said it would be fixed in a few hours. At this price, hot water is a pretty basic requirement, but we were too tired to go elsewhere. We went downstairs for dinner at the outdoor restaurant but ended up getting it to-go back to our room as the music was deafening. Even from the room we could hear the loud music. We had trouble with the light switches and ended up unscrewing bulb to turn some of the lights off. The plugs in these rooms are not well designed. The breakfast buddet was good but over-priced and the pool (while really nice) was too small with too few chairs for a hotel this size. Overall not what I'd expected based on other Movenpick hotels.

For the same or slightly more money, stay at the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jctokyo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

We always aim to provide our guests with a positive experience and to meet their expectations. I am very sorry to read that we have not succeeded in this during your visit.
Our Ibiza Beach club does feature live music, DJ performances and dinner shows each day, which is a unique and generally very appreciated feature of our hotel. I do understand that on this occasion the music may have been a bit too loud for your enjoyment and we will look into this. We do have other dinner venue available though where we serve dinner in a more quiet environment.
My apology for the problem you encountered with the hot water as well. This was due to a technical problem which we have fixed in the meantime.
Again, my apology for the various points you mentioned that did not meet your expectations. I would be thrilled if you would give us another chance on a future visit and would like to invite you to contact me personally at : Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com if I can be of any assistance

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Regretfully Moevenpick, where I spent 3 days with my fiancée, could not match our expectations.
The service was friendly and the owners really made an effort to renovate the building and to update the rooms but the ambience is simply difficult to deal with. The hotel was crowded of student-trip groups, all-included kind of tourists and families who fought to access the micro beach in front of the hotel.
The food was as well mediocre and we had to avoid the schedules of the aforementioned groups of guests. Finally, we decided to use the hotel only to sleep and seek asylum in the neighbour-hotels.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Francisco R M
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Let me start by apologizing for not having met your expectations on your recent trip to Cebu. We generally do not cater to large tourist groups and therefore the timing of your stay was very unfortunate as we were hosting an educational tour which may have caused some congestion during certain times of the day. Needless to say, this is of no concern to you and it had a negative impact on your overall experience.
I would like to invite you to personally contact me at: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Trip there was a present for our parents a day after our wedding in Radisson and to celebrate my Birthday.

We were there a day after the super typhoon Haiyan, they were able to clean up and set-up well.

Ambiance:
Relaxing and inviting. Its a breath of fresh air.

Room:
Booked 2 Br suites for our parents. They loved it! Very spacious! You would want to live there. Layout is perfect. Sofa is comfortable. Beds are very inviting. Our parents were are senior citizen. They were able to relax

Service:
Would have rates them 5/5 except that the flowers ordered by my husband for me was not delivered on time.

• Stayed: November 2013

I am very happy to read that your second stay with us was much more pleasant. I appreciate you writing a second review based on your latest experience and I am happy that it turned out to be positive.

I do have to apologize though that there was a delay in the delivery of your flowers due to a problem we had with our flower delivery. This should have been handled better from our end and we will take this as an opportunity to improve further.

We do hope we can welcome you back again for another visit soon

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Positive:
- service! just everywhere: lobby, room, restaurant, bar, beach etc.
- very clean and comfort
- music set: aligned to the different time and perfectly fit morning, day and evening. Perfect play list in the club as well!
- pool: design and arrangement
- lobby area: so comfort that u won't go to Ur room
- stable wifi signal
- reception: very friendly and helpful. Let us make early check in and late check out, plus give us penthouse apartment on the last floor
- breakfast! Wide and delicious choice including fresh made juice and great service (thanx to Mark, who even remember what kind of fresh juice we preferred)
- beach area: clean and cozy attached with nice service like bringing us towels
- room: outstanding view from 22nd floor. Clean, comfort with thick walls which ensure silence
- Ibiza club: modern design and enlightenments which make this place truly Ibiza. Original nets to spend few romantic hours and hide from the wind. Good for special occasions and private parties. Will keep in mind that spot.
Negative: didn't find any..., maybe food in resto a little overpriced but portions are good for two.

Resume: that is the luxury, great and well managed place which makes impression, where I would definitely would like to come back again! THANK YOU!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Reviews like yours are a great encouragement and source of motivation to our entire team here. I am glad you had such a wonderful tome with us and I shall certainly share your comments with my team. I will also inform Mark about your comment, who will certainly be happy to learn that his efforts did not go unnoticed.

I thank you for taking the time to share your opinion here and hope we can welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I only returned home today 12.11.13, I were there through Yolanda.
All the staff are extremely friendly, the resort is very well maintained and peoples safety was their first priority. Meals as a overall were very good.
The only downside for me was the Ibiza dining, Personally I feel it is far overpriced
The Spa and massage service, Although a beautiful experience, again a little overpriced

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Allan C
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind words about our team.
We are glad that the recent Typhoon we experienced caused no injuries to any of our employees or guests, which is indeed our top priority in such unfortunate situations.
Fortunately Cebu was not that strongly hit and the Typhoon only caused minor damage in the area.
I was a bit surprised that you found our offer at the Ibiza Beach Club overprized as guests generally find it good value, considering the large amount of imported meats we are offering from our Churrasco?

We do hope that you will chose to stay with us again on a future visit to Cebu and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks again

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We really like this hotel and the service staff here.
It is very kl\\cleen and new place and the food also very delicious. We enjoy all the activities like free yoga in the morning. we never try before and it was vert\y tired but fun to do.
Also breakfast and internet very good in this hotel and we will travel here again in the future if we have vacation

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

We are happy to read that you enjoyed our activities which we provide free of charge for our hotel guests. I am also happy that you found the breakfast and internet connection we provide of good quality.
as you indicated that you are planning to return to us in the future, please feel free to contact me personally so I can handle your booking requirements.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience here with other travelers.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

a real good choice when staying in Cebu I have to say. We arrived with medium expectations and were absolutely thrilled with our stay. The staff is professional and friendly and they all seem to enjoy their wwork. they recently went through the experience of an earthquake we learned and there was a typhoon developing in the area as well but all seemed to bne positive and only had the best for the guests in mind. A real refreshing attitude which some other countries could learn from.
We enjoyed the food and restaurants and I particularly liked the small marine sanctuary a bit off the beach as it was so convenient for snorkeling as there were tons of fish to be spotted.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I thank you for your positive words and the high rating you have given us.
As you outlined, we had to go through a number of natural disasters recently including the earthquake in Bohol and the Super Typhoon a few days back. I am happy that our efforts in training our employees has resulted in those situations being handled calmly and professionally by the entire team here.
I also appreciate you pointing out our marine sanctuary which is conveniently located just off our beach.
I do hope we have an opportunity to visit us again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!