“Modern, clean but totally sterile” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
London, United Kingdom
“Modern, clean but totally sterile”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

It is not all that it seems. Yes it is modern looking as it's been recently refurbished. it is clean. The lobby may look impressive. But it totally lacks character which I think it tries to achieve by overdoing the aesthetics. For the price one pays to stay here, sorry but I'm not impressed. Besides it's too remote to go anywhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank dartagnanaguilar
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
While I was very surprised about your headline and the comment you made on the lack of character of our hotel, it maybe a reflection of your personal taste and expectation, which is different from one person to the next of course and I am sorry that we did not meet this criteria for you.
I do hope other aspects of your stay were more positive though.

I thank you for your comments

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for four days and three nights. Yes, it is expensive, but after staying there for four days it is no longer expensive but affordable. Their price is very reasonable becausr they will not only give you the beauty of sea but a five-star accommodation as well. They're staff are all kind and accommodating. The place is very beutiful, looking for relaxation this is the place for you. We never want to leave the hotel and tour the other part of Cebu. Staying at the hotel is enough to enjoy CEBU.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Lady_Nathalia
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
I would like to thank you for your high rating and the positive remarks. I am glad to read that you felt that our hotel offers you true value for the price you pay. I think this is the real measure for any guest. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Lobby is quite impressive with a starkly white theme dotted w green & blue accent colors to complement the white sails on the ceiling (don't miss the lobby toilets for a bit of a surprise). As you gaze beyond the lobby, you see an expansive view of the sea. The pool design is also quite nicely done. Rooms are fair in size, quite clean, toilet is fair in size but the toilet seat is a bit cramped, being squeezed between the tub and the wall. First day (only) toiletries are by Chopard but these are not replenished on 2nd & 3rd days. Food is a bit expensive tho and coffee was not good at all. Staff members are friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ChaoSev
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and observations on this platform.
While your rating indicates that your stay was not as flawless as we would like you to experience our hotel, I appreciate the various positive aspects you have pointed out. I will also look at your comments on the coffee to see if we can improve this further

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located at Punta Engaño, the Moevenpick has facilities up to the expected standard, especially the lobby and pool side.
We were upgraded to room suite and got an early check-in. The room's decor was trendy snd sophisticated. Ammenities were Choppard. There's a kettle and complementary water.
The breakfast was excellent, with variety (including many Korean popular dishes!) and high quality products.
Staff is friendly and always with a smile and ready to help.
We also went to the sps Delmar for a Vitality treatment. They have experienced and courteous staff. Overall it was a premium experience, only affected by the noisy music from the outside (beach club). They should take that into account when booking treatments in the evening.
We also recommend the water sports centre, for the people and the services on offer.
This resort is a cheaper option than the Shangri-la but still offering the 5 star experience.
Overall this is an amazing hotel / resort. We will be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very happy that you had a memorable and overall positive experience at our hotel. I appreciate your review as well as the high rating you have give us.
We will look into the comment you made in regards to the music that is audible in Spa and see how we can possibly address this.

Again, thank you very much for your positive write-up. We do hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

My review is based on my booking.
I booked two rooms for arrival in mid April and I should mention we as a Family are still looking forward to this break as we need the total wind down.
Excuse the rating, what else can I say other than expecting.
I booked with Asia rooms.com on the basis I pay direct to the Hotel deal.
I found out a couple of days later my credit card had been charged the whole amount in March.
After sending mails to the Hotel I was told this is correct as it was a special deal.
I dispute all the above as I paid top price and have a letter from Asia rooms saying I pay later.
If I wanted to cancel this booking I would lose all my money I am informed.
Hey, wait a min, this was not the deal I took.
Something has gone wrong and I feel angry about it as a consumer and held to ransom.
If the Manager reads this review I will be more than happy to produce the booking confirmation from one of the Hotels agents stating what I have said above.
Taking my money, over and close to 70,000 Peso and tell me it is a special deal is not on.
This is for 4 nights, 2 rooms.
Those that do not know currency conversions can assume well over one thousand pounds.
I did not get a special deal.
BE AWARE WHEN YOU USE A CREDIT CARD.
It is also easy to blame an agent, at the end of the day I am paying to stay at this Hotel.
If they use agents, like Asia rooms, booking.com and others it does not matter as I am a consumer who has decided to stay at the Hotel.

To the Manager,

See you soon and hope you can explain my concerns as well as verify what a special rate I got as against what I have searched online that indicates I payed top price as I always do when I travel.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Be aware of paying in advance as against a promise of paying the hotel direct.
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shawly
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention so we can immediately look into this and see where the error or miscommunication may be. The booking conditions are generally always clearly stated on the websites of our business partners and we certainly honor those.
I would appreciate if you could kindly email me the details of your booking do I can personally check on this ( Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com).

I appreciate you bringing this so we can resolve this prior your arrival. I am looking forward to welcoming you soon and hope you will have an enjoyable stay with us.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I rated this place already and I am not sure why trip advisor would not publish my first review of this hotel but I will attempt again. I initially visited with my ex-husbad who is in the US Army. Our frustrations came from the cold showers that we had to take as the hot water was limited. He had his share of cold showers in his career and was not pleased to have them on vacation. Also, I dont believe that the linen on the bed was fresh. It had an odd odor.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Tammel73
I am obviously concerned about the problem you encountered with the hot water during your stay. I would appreciate if you could possible email me further details on the dates of your stay. I know that we had a couple of days where the water was not very hot in the hotel due to an emergency repair we had to carry out on our system, but this has been a couple of months back and I am not aware of any additional problems.
Also, the very low rating you have given us indicates to me that you must have been unsatisfied with other aspects of your stay as well? If so, I would appreciate if you could provide me with further details. Kindly contact me at: knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

the beach was definitely very nice. they kept the beach very clean. but the rooms were very small and the beds were small as well. when they say a twin size its really a twin size. the breakfast was a mediocre. for the price it was too expensive for the breakfast buffet. although the staff were very accomodating.

• Stayed February 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank gemika79
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review based on your recent stay. I was surprised to read that you found our breakfast buffet mediocre as we generally get very good comments on our breakfast. I invite you to contact me via email to provide me with additional feedback on this so we can possibly improve further. You can reach me at: knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,990 reviews

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!