“It was impressive at first but disappointing in the end”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“It was impressive at first but disappointing in the end”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

When we arrived last April 16,2014 we were very impressed with service given by the reception named Rona. I booked for a deluxe-ocean but was given an upgrade since this was our first time in Cebu we have no idea as to what activities we would be doing but after 1 1/2 day of stay we discovered the water activities but that day Friday the parasailing was fully booked so we booked for the next day available slot which was at 11:45am.but we are leaving for Cebu at 5:45pm the next day so I booked since our flight back to manila was still late in the afternoon. By nighttime I went down to the reception and was entertained by the receptionist named Leah I was requesting for a late check out like 1pm
Since our parasailing time was 11:45am so my kids can take a bath after the water activity and Lea just click something on her computer and immediately tell me SORRY BUT WE CANNOT YOUR REQUEST I was like that's it so I told her I booked a parasailing schedule at 11:45 maybe its possible we take a bath after she then keep telling me we need to check out by 12nn and use the shower in the pool area.....sensing my disappointed with her she said she will ask so she went at the back and came out telling me not possible again so I told her I guess we need to cancel our parasailing activity and she was like Ok but her co receptionist immediately came to her rescue and said maybe we can try the next day to booked you an earlier schedule so we can make it to the 12nn check out. I was really very disappointed with the way Leah handled my situation. I have been to other hotels abroad and when we requested for late check out if they can accommodate most of the time they do if not they still give an extension for 30mins. I also stayed in hotel during holyweek so it's really a busy season but this is the first time that an extension was not granted not even for us to use the shower for 30mins and in the end I have to cancelled parasailing of my kids. I was really disappointed the way my request was handled. Considering this is my first time to travel locally and this was the impression given to me by my hotel stay..I guess next time I want to vist Cebu I have to booked other hotel with better customer service

• Stayed April 2014
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
My sincere apology that we have ruined a good initial impression and an enjoyable stay by a bad judgment call and mediocre customer service. I certainly understand your frustration as this situation could have been handled much better, despite the fact that the hotel was fully booked.
I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can further train our employees in this regard.

I do hope though that this incident will not keep you from giving us another chance on a future visit to Cebu.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights courtesy of a company-sponsored event. Fantastic facility, friendly staff, relaxing view of the beach, and a bar by the coast. Food is hotely-food as expected. There are plenty of drawbacks however - first, the location. Its too far from the center, it takes you at least 40 minutes one way. It is nearer to the airport though. Second, there is a dearth of taxi cabs going out after 10pm, so if you're planning a night-out at the center, you better leave early or pay premium price for the hotel service. The hotel though has a free shuttle from the airport to the two biggest malls - another complaint would be the last shuttle returning to the hotel leaves to early at Ayala - which is 6pm.

But these drawbacks are not really such if you planned for a get-away hotel. If not for the busy conference schedule, the hotel itself and the pool and the beach are true gems. I can stay here for a weekend and completely forget the city. Indeed, when all is said, I think the hotel itself and the service and amenities its offer is worth the price tag. That is if you are willing to spend for a vacation hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea and during breakfast, do not forget to request for a "healthy shot&qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PinoyMaverick
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
thank you very much for the high rating as well as some of the suggestions you have brought up. this will certainly help us to further improve our services.
We do hope you have an opportunity to visit us on a future visit to Cebu during which you maybe able to make use of all of our facilities.

Thanks again

Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Upon our arrival in the airport, we were greeted by one of their staffs and escorted to their signature limo. The hotel is 15-30 minutes drive away from the airport, well depending on the traffic. Moving forward, we are properly escorted by their charming staffs to the front desk. The hotel is dashing with pastel colors (credits to the Almario sisters) and elegant furnitures. The staffs fluently speaks in english and tagalog, and if you're quite curious you may ask them to teach you the native dialect Cebuano. The entire hotel is stunning with its well crafted interiors and blessed with beautiful beach.

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days and 3 nights and our stay is quite an experience since our trip was 'tag-along' by Super Typhoon Yolanda. On the next day, we were advised to moved into the lower rooms of the hotel as the 400miles per hour wind may cause serious damage in higher floors. I was amazaed how the management handles the situation while we bear the super typhoon. Hours have passed and the damage has been really visible. Guest were not allowed to go out of the hotel, everyone was monitoring the situation. Letters from the General Manager were continuously coming to advice the guest about the situation. After the storm everyone was still coping up with the situation.

I'm now writing this to commend the management and staff of Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu for keeping us safe and calm during the storm. I know you're also thinking about your family during those times and yet you chose to be there for us, we don't even know each other. I wasn't able to thank the security personnel, the staffs and other service providers as we were rushing to the airport to catch our packed flight. Again, thank you so much for being there with us. God bless and more powers to Movenpick Mactan Family!

Room Tip: Food is great at the Sail restaurant and Ibiza Club, try Manny O Wines :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
I thank you very much for your appreciation on our handling of the Super Typhoon Yolanda. I am happy that my team has reacted so efficiently and professionally to this natural disaster. Clearly, we were lucky in Cebu that the damages were not as severe than in some other, unfortunate areas of the Philippines.
We are happy that none of our guests or employees were hurt during this incident.

We hope you will be able to visit us again during a more pleasant and enjoyable time here in Cebu.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here

Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

It was a perfect stay for us having spent our precious romantic moments away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It was our 20th anniversary experience that is worth keeping!!! A memory that can last a lifetime! They have friendly and accomodating staff, superb service- what can I ask for?
The food is super delicious, of best quality ingredients yet not expensive if you will compare with some other five star hotels. We didn't notice the time passing because of the place has so many things you can do there. It's clean, neat, well maintained with spacious lobby and the view is magnificent, combining the great swimming pool design and the natural white sand of the beach, PERFECT!

You guys, have to try it yourself! perfect for couple like us and family outing, and even company activities. I strongly recommend Moevenpick Hotel, simply the best!!!

Room Tip: choose the beach front for the great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Almira C
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your opinion on this website.
we are very happy to read that you had such a memorable stay. Congratulations on your anniversary by the way. I thank you for choosing our hotel for this very special occasion. We are glad we could contribute to make this a memorable experience for you.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future

general Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Its staff are the gems of this place. The Resort and Spa are heavenly, including its divinely white shoreline. The chefs and the food they serve are personalized and flavorful. The staff are always eager and ready to please us guests without being intrusive. Its a lovely place to relax with family and close friends.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank JRN1965
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
I am very happy to learn that you had such a positive experience in our hotel and for pointing out our employees especially as they truly make the difference.
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay and I hope you will be visiting us again soon

general Manager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

It is not all that it seems. Yes it is modern looking as it's been recently refurbished. it is clean. The lobby may look impressive. But it totally lacks character which I think it tries to achieve by overdoing the aesthetics. For the price one pays to stay here, sorry but I'm not impressed. Besides it's too remote to go anywhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank dartagnanaguilar
While I was very surprised about your headline and the comment you made on the lack of character of our hotel, it maybe a reflection of your personal taste and expectation, which is different from one person to the next of course and I am sorry that we did not meet this criteria for you.
I do hope other aspects of your stay were more positive though.

I thank you for your comments

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for four days and three nights. Yes, it is expensive, but after staying there for four days it is no longer expensive but affordable. Their price is very reasonable becausr they will not only give you the beauty of sea but a five-star accommodation as well. They're staff are all kind and accommodating. The place is very beutiful, looking for relaxation this is the place for you. We never want to leave the hotel and tour the other part of Cebu. Staying at the hotel is enough to enjoy CEBU.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Lady_Nathalia
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
I would like to thank you for your high rating and the positive remarks. I am glad to read that you felt that our hotel offers you true value for the price you pay. I think this is the real measure for any guest. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,045 reviews

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!