“Not recommend”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Not recommend”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here from 6~8, June, 2014 with my sister.

The public places(lobby, pool, beach, Ibiza club) are nice.

The room? Horrible.
I didn't expect a superb room as I booked it through the promotion offered by Hotels.com but my room was literally rubbish.

Broken shower door. No foot and face towels. Chicken screaming whenever there is sunlight. Too cold floor. Too old room facilities. Expensive food. So-so staffs.

I can here door closing sound up and down and side rooms! The furniture is motel-level!!!

You cannot turn off the room lights at once as there is no remote controller system! I should stand up and find every button before sleeping!

Well, the native staffs who brought us a room-service and helped my sister's surnburnt were nice but that is the only good memory I had in Movenpick, Cebu.

And though it was fixed, they charged me an automated advance fee and didn't cancel till I found it and sent an e-mail to remind them of recheck. It was fixed fast but not pleasant experience.

I will never go back and never recommend it to anyone.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JIN B
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, particularly in regards to your room. I thank you for bringing this to our attention so I can look at some maintenance concerns you have highlighted.

Again, I am sorry that your recent stay was not what you expected, but I hope you may give us another try on a future visit.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our family of four stayed for 3 nights in July taking the one-bedroom suite (with a partial view of the sea). Movenpick was our second choice as our first choice was completely booked. I had initial reservations due to some poor online comments but generally unfounded.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the time we landed all the way through checkout and dropping us back to the airport. The hotel tries very hard to cater to families and children with daily activities and chocolate hour - the kids' painted seashells remain on the family cabinet. My kids were extremely messy when dining at breakfast but the staff made no fuss at all.

Dinner at Ibiza remains a key highlight...worth another trip to fill up on mouth-watering ribeye, sirloin, lambchops, grilled squid etc. And the evening atmosphere and shows were a delight as the kids boogeyed to 70's night. That said, the overall setup of the hotel seems to cater for singles and couples. In fact, the partying went on to early morning on our last night there.

Hopefully, the hotel would be able to add more attractions like its neighbor to enable more activities for kids.

Overall, a solid vacation with the family...and I wished I discovered this place before the kids arrived!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon C
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I am grateful for your positive comments and would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Cebu. We understand that customers have various choices when selecting a hotel and I am happy that you entrusted us with your holidays.
I am glad you and your family had an enjoyable experience with us. We do look to further enhance our offers for children here at the hotel by adding even more activities for them.

Again, thank you for your time to share your experience on this platform and we do hope to see you and you family back here on a future trip to Cebu.

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I am part of an events company organizing a worldwide conference in Cebu. This hotel is one of the hotels we are picking to house our delegates from all over the world. They have contemporary interiors and when we conducted room visits, most rooms looked very clean, trendy and functional. The bathrooms were very nice as well. They had Givenchy amenities and unlike European hotels these amenities are free (well I guess its safe to say its included when you pay per night).
You get the feel and vibe of those Miami hotels when you enter. Very hip and upscale but reasonably priced. Its more of a resort hotel than a business hotel though.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean, youll get amazing sunsets and a view of their pool too
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
We very much appreciate the high rating and positive comments about our hotel and we look forward to hosting your delegates in our hotel. We thank you for your trust in our facilities and services and look forward to work with you on your event.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us at any time.

Thanks again

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My friend had her wedding reception at the Ibiza Beach Club, and we her guests are so glad she did! We had a wonderful time!

1. The food was world-class (beef & lamb were melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious), and I sooo wished I had a bigger stomach to eat more, hahahaha!
2. The staff were very friendly and assisted us well (we brought our kids with us).
3. They had Fireworks! and Fire Dancers! Wow!

It was an unforgettable experience, one that we will love to recount for years to come. Many thanks!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bituin A
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for the high rating and the positive comments.
We are happy you had such an enjoyable time at our hotel and that the wedding event was such a great success.

We look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got to the hotel earlier than check-in time, but the hotel was so kind to let us check in and let us use the room. However, the lour luggage did not come for a while and we went down to take them ourselves.
For lunch, we ordered french fries at the restaurant on the 1st floor. The waiter told us that french fries were out already and they suggested us to have sweet potato fries instead. We thought it was no problem, but we saw Westerners ordering french fries in the same restaurant. We were told that Westerners are treated better than Asians in Philippines, but it was unfair.
We had dinner at another restaurant at the hotel, but the food was not that good but very expensive. We are not coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nonati
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
I was very surprised reading your review. While I am sorry that you left the hotel with a negative impression, the incident you have mentioned in your review regarding the French fries must have been based on a communication error as we certainly do not treat guests differently and would of course have no reason to serve a specific food to one customer and not another if it is available in the kitchen.
We cater to guests from all over he world and treat every customer in the same manner, I do apologize if you felt differently but rest assured this is never our intention.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Thanks for the Resort and Their TMs to made us our special family trip. We will definitely see you soon. We loved their beach club, great music and great staff.
As for me, I would like to see on my next visit cider on draft and vinho verde( non as green wine from portugal) so i can lay on your fantastic chair for whole day.

To unknown person: please visit Movenpick resort to make your wonderful trip as well.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dipendra N
I appreciate your positive rating and the nice comments about your recent stay with us.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Ibiza Beach club, our unique entertainment outlet, designed to give guests the ultimate in dining, fun and entertainment.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just stayed in the Moevenpick Mactan-Cebu. Booked a Premier oceanfront room. Arrived, fridge was broken and even though it was a non-smoking room - you could smell the smoke every day. There was even ash on the balcony! Staff were very friendly and did sort the problems out - at least the fridge! Overall service was good, if a little slow..maybe the Filippino way - but the staff smiled a lot so made up for the little niggles. Order room service a few times - need to be clear over the phone as sometimes english is not translated properly and you get what they think I said! e.g. ham and cheese sandwich vs Lamb Shank :) However, I AM going back again as the overall vista is fantastic, with the Ibiza bar/rest it just adds to the overall experience. So good place to stay!

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe ocean view high floor - you will get a great view of the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peterhcook
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I thank you for your constructive comments and review and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you unfortunately encountered during your stay.
However, I am very happy that you have indicated that you will be returning to us on a future stay, which also gives us an opportunity to ensure those issues you encountered last time, will be addressed.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your visits to Cebu!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 89 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!