“A place to chill”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had a overnight stay here earlier this year. I loved the interiors of the room! The bed is comfy. And the best part for me is the Ibiza Beach Club where we had a few glasses of wine matching the nice chill sounds played by the DJ overlooking the beautiful beach and the hotel property. I even liked that they have a recreational area where foosball and pool tables are located. I would recommend this place if you want to just relax and enjoy the beach, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool and beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you very much for selecting our hotel for your recent trip. I am glad you had a relaxing time and enjoyed the atmosphere at our Ibiza Beach Club. We look forward to welcoming you again on a future trip.

Knuth Kiefer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

First night in Cebu was spent at the 4 star Radisson Blu which made me very impressed. I was expecting more from the 4.5 star Moevenpick but got disappointed. Good points first: family friendly, food and coffee served on the lounge and cafe not bad, friendly and accommodating staff, morning and afternoon exercises like yoga, pilates, zumba and the Ibiza Beach Club 70's show.

The resort looks big on photos but actually not. They should also have a look at the staff uniforms that were ill-fitting and obviously of low quality (I could even see unstitched hems on the shirts and pants and buttons about to fall). I’ve seen better uniforms at 3-star Asian hotels. I ordered 3 kinds of tapas at the Ibiza Beach Club which were all sweet and..... served with sweet sauces. I had better fish balls from the streets. Service was slow if you were ordering food but very quick for the drinks. The room I had was clean but old. The bathroom sink was not draining properly. The shower takes a long time to heat and it was not even hot, it was lukewarm. Oh, the bottled water costs about 125 pesos if you order from the lounge or the coffee shop and it was not even a Wilkins or Absolut, just a Cebu brand. Wifi only worked at late night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Viv000000
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share with us your observations based on your recent visit. I am of course concerned that some aspects of your stay were below your expectations but your comments help us to further improve. I thank you for pointing those out to us and we will look into those areas immediately.
I hope that despite the negative observations, you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I attended a conference in Movenpick and my stay was disappointing to say the least. I selected a 1-bedroom suite that left me wanting as it had a nice view of the Shangri-La. The room was dark, bathroom needs some work as the tiles and bath tub were dirty, water filtering and treatment need to be improved as well. The staff had to be reminded to clean the room. The final straw --- an item that I had them store for me in the freezer was given to another guest and they only informed me hours after the guest had already checked out. Item was properly labeled with my name and room number! Definitely not what I expected from a 5-star international chain. The only thing I liked was their ice cream.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Patricia d

I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had in our hotel during your recent visit. While this does not reflect the service standards we generally provide to our guests, I fully understand your disappointment.
I have also investigated the problem with the item that was mishandled and we have internally discussed this problem to avoid any future re-occurrence. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at my email address: knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Again, my sincere apology.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Buffet Breakfast a must ! Great food, great service , special mention to the staff , namely Kath Gomez who took care of us. The food choices are great to satisfy ones appetite . We shall definitely return to Sails Restaurant soon. Kudos to it's management & staff.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Vincci1111

Thank you very much for the comments and the high rating for our Sails restaurant. I appreciate you pointing out Kath as particularly helpful and I shall certainly share your comment with her.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have been spending some days on the beach renting an apartment in the residence units of the Hotel and I have to say that the place is nice but you cannot sell a San Pellegrino Water for 780 Pesos per bottle... ok there is service charge and taxes and also we didn't watch the menu... But it is too much anyway.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mbenigno393

I appreciate your comment and certainly can understand that the amount for two bottles of water (750ml) seems high. The price however is very much based on the high cost of importing this kind of water and it is in line with the prices charged in other upscale hotels here in Cebu, but we will re-look at this and see if the prices could be adjusted in the future

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Although we stayed at Radisson, we still wanted to check-out what reviewers were raving about Moevenpick. We booked the day-use afternoon package so we can try the Churrasco dinner. Here are lists of what we liked and didn't like.

What we liked:
- The package provided everything for a day's use of the beach and pools. It's like you only have to bring a swimsuit, sunblock, a change of clothes for dinner and you're good to go. Staff were more than happy to accommodate our requests and elaborated on their answers which we appreciated.
- The lobby is unlike any other hotel lobby I've been to. I've had, for several occasions, stayed in hotels for work, and the usual hues of beige, gold, brown, gray greeted me. Moevenpick's shades of green, blue and white were truly an exciting delight to the senses. The spacious lobby and comfortable seats and couches also provided a restful refuge for us when it got too hot to stay on the beach. They have great wifi signal too.
- Clean and nice locker and shower rooms. I have a thing for OC-clean, nicely decorated and spacious shower and restrooms and theirs passed my expectations.
- Private beach and pools were clean, not crowded and had more than enough seats and tables that matched the lobby interior. Every angle in the photos we took were beautiful!
- The package included Swiss ice cream. I got the caramel flavor which was absolutely delish! It was like a party of caramel in my mouth!
- The highlight of the day, apart from the picturesque view and interior, was the Churrasco dinner at the Ibiza Beach Club. We started with the salad buffet then a fresh selection of grilled meat and seafood were offered to our table by the chefs themselves. The light engineer also did a great job highlighting the ambiance which gave the beach club a different character at night.

What we didn't like:
- Honestly? NONE.

Needless to say, we will stay here again when we come back to Cebu :)

Room Tip: For Day-Use, you need not avail of the garden cabana because there are resting seats everywhere. But...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Krizia Z
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you very much for spending the day here at the Moevenpick and for taking the time to share your experience and comments on this website.
We are glad you had an enjoyable time and appreciated the service and facilities. We do look forward to your next visit to us

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Trendy hotel with beautiful views.

Customer service is good.

Rooms are clean and roomy.

The pool and beach are great.

This is also a nice hotel to stay in with your friends. Lots of lounge areas. They have a tapas restaurant and good music at night. Great place to chill in.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julph
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Whenever a guest indicates to us that he/she is planning to return to our hotel, it gives us the confidence that we have succeeded in our goal to provide our guests with a memorable experience, and I am glad to read that this seems to be the case for you as well.
I thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#15 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!