“wow what an overrated hotel the most horrific hotel experience ever!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
“wow what an overrated hotel the most horrific hotel experience ever!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

BEWARE!!! Don't fall into the trap of checking into this hotel... WHAT we planned as a great pre-birthday weekend with my family turned out to be a catastrophe! Four irate guests was what met us when we checked in saturday morning. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WARNING BY ITSELF!!! I won't enumerate all our beyond bad experiences. I will be concise and say STAY AWAY!!! Food and beverages are overpriced, rooms are not up to par with international standards that Moevenpick stands for. LOUSIEST SERVICE EVER, INEFFICIENT FRONT DESK STAFF!!! Food and Beverage orders that takes an hour to be served, Hot food served cold, Cold food served hot!!! OVER-ALL THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE CLOSED...

Sleep Quality
6 Thank Erla901
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to personally meet me prior your departure to discuss the various problems you encountered during your stay. As mentioned during our conversation, I will look into all the points you raised and we are working on improvements in all areas you pointed out. Despite your negative experience, I am glad that you agreed to return on a future visit and I am confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable.

Thank you for giving us another try soon.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Its a lovely hotel , rooms are clean and Beach is fantastic.
For a 5 start hotel I was very disappointed in the service from the staff.
Lunch time went for a coffee and an Ice Cream it took 50 minutes , the next day went for Ice cream again but the ice cream I liked was melted so could not serve it.
I was drinking sparkling wine in the evenings , they served it warm the first night. Second night they said they run out and also run out of Pernod but then when we went for dinner they had both of our drinks in the restaurant. Third , fourth and fifth night I had to argue to get the sparkling one as they decided to sale it by the bottle and no longer by the glass (even thou its on the menu), Hello 5 star hotel how can you say that. anyway on the last night I spoke with management to make a point . Its over 370 dollars a night what service would you expect. If you are going for the beach and a clean Room than its great .

Room Tip: Sea view 18th floor was perfect
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank hansenh
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
I would like to start by sincerely apologizing for the unacceptable level of service you have experienced during your stay in our restaurants and bars. While I believe your experience does not reflect on the general level of service, the multitude of incidents you highlighted is certainly a big concern and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will work on improvements in those areas accordingly and I hope you will give us another try on a future visit to Cebu despite the disappointing experience on your recent stay.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Such a mixed bag at this place. Our first day (sat) was not successful. Check in was a nightmare taking hours (the place was fully booked with people everywhere), and after waiting and waiting for our luggage I went down and collected them myself with no questions asked by anyone.Then almost all of the facilities were being used for private functions. The whole grass area beachfront for a wedding, the Ibiza Club for a private function so we couldn't eat dinner there and the daycare/kids room was under renovation - kind of felt like interlopers in our own hotel. The nightclub at Ibiza and the fireworks for the private functions also made sleeping difficult. I had seen posts about the loud music but thought it wouldn't be so bad. But it was very very loud until at least 11pm (then it did get marginally quieter). Things improved for us on the Sunday so maybe if you a traveling with small children like we were avoid a Saturday. The grass area beachfront is lovely and a great alternative to the sand for children to play. The Brazilian BBQ at Ibiza was delicious although it didn't start at the advertised 6pm but more like 7pm which is difficult when you have small children. We had a one bedroom suite which was really nice. The staff were very friendly and tried very hard. No sign of management level staff and it showed. Staff never seemed around to question and reception is generally too busy to wait there. Once you do find someone to ask most times staff did not know what time restaurants started, cost of buffets etc. There are kids activities but I never saw any sign of the staff running these and we only had our eldest son join in once for starfish painting which we happened upon. I was impressed with staff in Sails Restaurant. The pool is great and I loved the little seats in the water which light up at night. Great pool for small children. Although there were never any loungers. It was a race to get loungers at the beach also. Obviously we were there on a very busy weekend. You could feed the fish near Ibiza Club which the children loved. Be prepared that the hotel shop has an enormous mark up on everything - about 200% Id say, which is difficult when you have small children and need to buy water, milk, snacks etc a packet of chips is 340php and a small bottle of water is 100php or 300php for Evian. Overall its a cool looking hotel that I really wanted to give a good review for but it is just not consistent. We had a lovely weekend but Im not sure Id be back. For the price I would probably stay at one of the other resorts Ive visited in Cebu.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are very nice. Rooms further away from Ibiza Club will be quieter
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lisamm83
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I do appreciate the detailed feedback and the constructive comments in your review. My apology that not all aspects of your stay were positive and I certainly can understand your disappointment.
We will continue to improve on the areas you highlighted and I thank you for pointing those out to us.
Despite the mixed experience, I do hope you will give us another try on a future visit to Cebu. Please feel free to contact me directly at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com if I can be of any assistance.

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Super Smelly room so we did move to other room and smell is a bit acceptable, but very dark and dirty toilet, toilet did not flush, we call for service, and the man took so long to fix it. Bathtub is dirty lots of molds. Hard to open door. Electric pot is dirty we did not use it because it's look like plastic melted a bit. No internet in the room.
We did request for extra bed and the they give us very hard bed in the morning the person slept in that bed got sick which is back pain.
Breakfast buffet is bad and very low standard.
Beach are ok but near the port.
Bar Ibiza is the only one i like they have entertainment with fat belly men dancers.
Very expensive ice cream for a scoop is php250/scoop. It's not worthy the taste is not really good.
Paella is not a paella, rice is hard no taste, we did not eat and wasted.
It's not worthy at all and it is a very expensive hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank maerit m
I am very sorry to read about your negative experience here at our hotel. I have discussed the issues you had with your room with our executive housekeeper and we will re-train our employees to ensure the rooms are in perfect condition. I certainly understand your disappointment and apologize for not providing you with the standard of service you rightfully expect from us. If your travel plans bring you back to Cebu, please give us another try and I will personally ensure your experience will be an enjoyable one.

Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed August 9_11, 2014 with family. Awesome experience from check in to check out. Wonderful staff from check in staff to cleaning staff...so friendly and polite. My children had a great time at Ibiza Beach Club - great live entertainment and great dj. Children danced the night away. Food, ambience, location and just about everything in this resort is excellent.. Not to forget room service! Stayed at their Ibiza Loft which was awesome. Special mention to Jerry_ he made our stay great!! Highly Recommended and will surely go back!!

Room Tip: Just a great place to stay when in Cebu island. Any room will be great when you are in Movenpick Ma...
1 Thank Giga Y
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you very much for the positive review and the high marks. I am glad you enjoyed our Ibiza Loft, the ultimate suite for comfort, relaxation or parties!
I am happy to read that you and your children left with positive memories of our hotel and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thanks a again

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Things that i like.
1. From the time you enter the property the staff would assist you with your luggage and open the door for you.
2. While in line for check in and checking out. A staff will bring out welcome drinks
3. From reservations personnel, luggage staff, shuttle service driver, pool and beach to housekeeping staff everyone is nice , attentive and courteous.
4. The swimming pool has a great temperature.
5. There is a chocolate hour everyday. Be sure to be at the lobby.
6. Ibiza club has a happy hour between 5 to 630pm. Offers live bands or show
7. Pillows and bed is really nice and comfy

Things that needs improvement
1. The hair dryer is very old. It doesnt reflect the new and chic feel of the room
2. Shuttle schedule they only have 3 trips going to sm or ayala. 10am 2pm and 430pm. I wish there is an earlier shuttle sched for guests who has an earlier flight but wants to do a last minute shopping.
3. More variety in buffet breakfast. Also sauteed veggies taste bland. The donuts needs to be more sweet and chocolatey. For a luxury resort i expected more.
4. The lobby and check in area was quite hot especially when it becomes crowded. Not really good when the line is long.
5. Cab lines were long inside the hotel. I was no. 11 and they only called no.4. So we decided to go outside the property in the main street there are lots of cabs passing by. Easily rode one. Hope the hotel do something about it.

Overall the experience was great. Will definitely recommend it to my family and friends and will be back when i visit cebu again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I thank you not only for the positive rating but especially for the constructive comments about suggested improvements, which are always welcome as they give us an opportunity to develop our services further. We will look into the various points you raised and see where we can make some changes. I have looked already into your comment about an earlier shuttle bus but as the malls do not open earlier, it would not benefit our guests greatly leaving the hotel at an earlier time.
Again, thank you very much for your comments and we hope to see you back again soon

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had a overnight stay here earlier this year. I loved the interiors of the room! The bed is comfy. And the best part for me is the Ibiza Beach Club where we had a few glasses of wine matching the nice chill sounds played by the DJ overlooking the beautiful beach and the hotel property. I even liked that they have a recreational area where foosball and pool tables are located. I would recommend this place if you want to just relax and enjoy the beach, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool and beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for selecting our hotel for your recent trip. I am glad you had a relaxing time and enjoyed the atmosphere at our Ibiza Beach Club. We look forward to welcoming you again on a future trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,975 reviews

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!