“Attractive and comfortable”

Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Bacolod
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“Attractive and comfortable”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I liked this hotel it is attractive inside and out. Our room was large and comfortable and it was an added bonus to find we had a little balcony to sit out and enjoy the sunshine. I didn't get around to trying out the pool but it was a nice focal point. Housekeeping and laundry services were great and I enjoyed the meals we took there (breakfast and two lunches) I would recommend the prawn and mango salad.

Room Tip: Splash out and go for a junior suite or suite.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 18 January 2014

To be in Bacolod city is always a pleasure. For some reason I feel a degree of warmth and "relaxedness" that I so miss in Makati City. Despite the zillion of comments I could make on the city in general and this hotel in particular, I have no reason not to recommend this place.

The hotel has by no means achieved anything close to international standards, is indeed old, but partly renovated. But does that really matter given the rates they charge? I would say it's value for money. You get what you pay for.

Nothing special, nothing great, but really not much to be wished for and that includes the restaurant.

Nowadays we cannot live without Internet and when that fails, the hotel does not deliver what is promised. Thus I would expect that they visibly would do all possible to fix a problem and not tell the guests that the technician has to attend a function ....

It is all about training staff. I am convinced that the will and the good intentions are there !

Management should play an active role in guiding, checking and improving the work of their staff. The old hierarchical model does not work anno 2014.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank emvi-op-reis
qc
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The hotel is old, and it's age is showing. The guest room while clean, was lacking in warmth and cozyness. Bathroom facilities need refurbishing. Breakfast buffet was just okay, nothing to write home about. The housekeeping staff need more training in taking care of guest needs/requests. I asked to borrow scissors and scotch tape from them, because I needed to wrap something. The person who answered the phone said she couldn't provide any because these were with her supervisor, who wasn't in yet. Huh? Shouldn't she find a way to provide service for a simple guest request? That staff encounter really turned me off. Good hotels provide reasonable guest requests promptly, so sorry to say - I cannot consider Sugarland a good hotel. My rating for this hotel is only FAIR!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank anabelleochoa
Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I've been told by locals and relatives that Sugarland is a great hotel to stay in. I say it's just okay.

The Wifi inside the room is iffy, it only works certain times a day. The whole week I stayed there, the elevator only worked once or twice. One time I asked for a room clean up and when I returned they only cleared the dishes from room service, but whatever was in disarray was left in the same condition. Another time, before entering my room, I heard voices from inside. Turns out housekeeping left the telly in my room on- to local news. The safe wasn't working, either. Oh, and your keycard sometimes gets disabled too....which means you have to go down to have it enabled, and then climb the stairs back up- not something I relish doing after a long day at work.

What was good? Well, the breakfast buffet options were few, but tasty. The sotangjon guisado is worth ordering, too, on a day when you're too lazy to go out to eat (Sugarland is not near any decent restaurant). At P 150, the serving is huge and tastes divine. There is a balcony/ terrace area in almost every room, which means you can go out and get some sunshine, fresh air, or smoke if you are so inclined. The fixtures and decor are pretty, you get free water, coffee fixings for 2, and organic toiletries every time you have your room cleaned.

Service was also okay, most of the time staff are friendly. I would not say they are efficient or that they would exert any extra effort to make my stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool side, it makes for a good breeze when you step out the terrace.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Olongapo, Philippines
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed here for 3D/2N during my business trip in Bacolod. I enjoyed staying here, the rooms are clean, nice hotel staff and has good basic amenities. Though quite far from some establishments, there are public vehicles always available outside the area. And also, I really love the 'Death by Chocolate' cake they serve in their restaurant. :)

Room Tip: If there will be ongoing functions during your stay, ask for a room away from the function rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Manila
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed for 4 days and it was really very comfy and convenient. It has everything that I want in a average hotel. 1. Wifi (inside the room) 2. Free Breakfast 3. Swimming pool (not so big though) 4. good location and 5. very good service. Price is also reasonable 1,600.00 corporate rate.

So, overall I was really satisfied. =)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Our choice of hotel during our 11th wedding anniversary proved to be the best! Its has a homey feel but still undeniably first class. The food served were also deliciously homemade taste.

All of the employees were so friendly and accommodating. They were so helpful and understanding that they allowed us to extend our stay in our room until the afternoon in order to wait for our flight schedule without any additional fee.

How's that for a world class service!

Kudos to you! We enjoyed staying in Sugarland and we hope to be back!
I've already been telling my family and friends to stay in your hotel whenever they're in Bacolod.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple