“Not the best place to choose for a date night.”
Review of L'Fisher Hotel

L'Fisher Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Bacolod
“Not the best place to choose for a date night.”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

It's our date night and we decided to stay at L'Fisher hotel. The location of the hotel is good for you can easily get a taxi. Nothing special with the room but good enough that it is clean. The room looks old but at least it doesn't smell old. The room was so plain that we never bothered to take pictures of our room.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I think the Irish reviewer who said that L'Fisher employees are actually helpful is right. My husband and I have stayed at the L'Fisher Hotel (not the Chalet, which only has single beds unless you get a suite) 3 times since 2007. As an example: A few weeks ago, we checked into our room and realized that there were not enough hangers in the closet. I asked our housekeeper for some more, and he brought the number of additional hangers that I had asked for within 5 minutes. We have stayed at several other hotels in Bacolod, and the usual response when I ask for something is either utter confusion or a cheerful, "Sorry, Ma'am! That is not possible!"

The biggest reason we keep coming back to the L'Fisher, however, is that it is possible for an American like me to entertain herself without leaving the hotel/Chalet complex. Because the 2 are connected via a hallway, you can enjoy the pool, gym, spa, salon, 2 restaurants, and a large lobby complete with gift shop (& sometimes live piano music) without venturing onto the street. You won't find this at any other hotel in Bacolod. This is also the easiest hotel in town from which to get a taxi.

The breakfast buffet (usually included in the room rate) is the best hotel breakfast in town. I wish they included mangos in their fruit selection, though, because a ripe mango is a treat that Americans can't experience at home.

The L'Fisher is next door to Calea (awesome cakes--do not miss it) and is conveniently located next to or near lots of shops and restaurants.

A couple of areas for improvement:

The TVs are too small. Seriously, all of their competitors have bigger TVs. However, because this is the Philippines, there is not going to be much for an American to watch anyway. If you are a foreigner, bring your iPad!

However, that brings me to the second area for improvement, which is their WiFi. They need more Air Ports to make the signal in the rooms stronger. This is especially important if you want to use Skype, which most foreigners do.

The carpet in the rooms should be replaced with wood or tile for sanitary reasons in a humid climate.

While we were there, the elliptical machine in the gym was out of order. Also, there was a bit of algae in the pool.

The rates for the hotel vary quite a bit. If you pay full price, you are probably overpaying. They have some great specials for locals, especially during rainy season. If you're a foreigner, try agoda.com.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Christina S
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had originally booked into Westown San Juan Hotel which is fairly basic but clean, with decent air con, a cafe that serves perfectly functional food and a bar that plays decent music and has a 2nd level outside area right on a busy crossroads where you can sip a beer and watch the absolute mayhem during rush hour. Unfortunately the wifi was absolutely rubbish this time and I needed it to allow me to work so in the absence of any improvement we had to go. No possibility of a refund for unused nights either - shame on you Westown! Unlikely we'll be back so false economy on your part.

So we arrived in L'Fisher Hotel (not chalet's) and before checking in tried the wifi - it was good. They only had a deluxe room so we plumped for that. See to be honest - although L'Fisher markets itself as a more upmarket hotel than the likes of Westown, in terms of the actual bedroom, there was very little difference. I actually found L'Fisher rooms in need of a little upgrading - not costly stuff either, just things like new modern wardrobe doors, maybe some paintings to brighten the rooms up - it was all rather dated and bland. The size of the TV was disappointing too. Let's guess a bigger TV would cost an absolute maximum of PHP 10,000 more than the small one. And let's say a TV has a minimum 3 year lifespan - that's 1,095 night. And let's assume a 70% average capacity meaning that you will have a paying guest in each room for 766 nights per lifetime of the TV. That would only add PHP 13 to the cost of a room. So PHP 13 (€0.23/$0.30) is the cost of delighting me or disappointing me - L'Fisher chose to disappoint in this regard!

Bland brings me to the reception as well - it is a big space but was pretty uninspiring. One thing that always draws my attention at Bacolod Airport are the Negros Occidental craft wares on display. I'm sure something like that as a centerpiece could add some much-needed interest - wouldn't cost a penny either! I also thought the very attractive chandelier was lost too high up - I would lower it into view maybe another 8' or so.

There is a shop, a seating area and a restaurant around the perimeter of the reception and the one meal we had in the restaurant was very nice.

One facility that definitely sets this hotel above the likes of Westown is the rooftop pool. I was too busy to use it but would have liked to.

Not sure if it was broken, turned off, or ineffective, but the air con on the 4th floor corridors was hopeless - oppressively hot walk to our room.

Staff - all very good, diligent and helpful. Some Philippine staff can be very pleasant and mannerly but ultimately no help at all, whereas the staff here seemed to have cracked the 'being useful' part of their job as well - well done.

So in summary - gave it 4 stars which is too high, however I have given other Bacolod hotels 3 and this is definitely better. More expensive and I'm not entirely sure how they can justify the difference, but definitely better and worth some more than the others.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Macau, China
Reviewed 29 June 2013

L'Fisher is arguably the best hotel in Bacolod; it's by no means deluxe - in fact it looks a bit worn and dingy - but it is all-round acceptable. What has made a big difference (for us) is the new-ish large swimming pool on the roof. The food incl. the breakfast buffet could not be called great but is quite acceptable for a 3-star hotel. One thing to note is that the Super Deluxe room is exactly the same as the Deluxe, except that it has a bathtub - which didn't seem worth the extra cost to us. Another thing to note is that a taxi to the airport costs P500 whereas the hotel shuttle costs P500 PER PERSON!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Super Deluxe unless you want a bathtub. Otherwise the Deluxe and Super De...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed 24 June 2013

As present for "fathers day" my wife give me as fathers day present an overnight stay in L'Fisher Hotel -Bacolod , the city in which we live which was a fantastic experience I can advice to everyone who has something to celebrate. To relax on the side of a pool with a nice glass beer , having dinner with a nice drink together with the family in a complete private way without any disturb I experienced as real relaxing which still will be for long time in my mind.

Room Tip: even a standard room is to enjoy value for money
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Makati
Reviewed 20 June 2013

L' Fisher Hotel is described as the most expensive hotel in Bacolod. The hotel is surrounded by good reviewed restaurants and cake house. On its left is the Trattoria Uma, the best Italian restaurant; and on its right (still the hotel's extension) is the L'Fisher Seafood restaurant. And fronting the restaurant is the Calea, who has the most delectable cakes in whole Bacolod. So, you dont have to go and get a cab to get the best of Bacolod. Its within reach. The lobby is not that impressive though. What impressed me is the inside of the room. It has a big bed with nice and comfy linens. Nice toilet and bath with complete amenities (hot shower, blower, toilettries, etc). It has unlimited wifi service. The swimming pool is out dated but you can use the swimming pool of L'Fisher Chalet for free. Its their budget hotel at the back of their hotel. The pool is at the rooftop. There are a lot of parking lots available for the guests. I didnt get to enjoy the breakfast though. Its too crowded. I was there at the time there was also an event for an International organization. Thus, I had a hardtime finding a seat. But the food is always replenished. They have egg station and the breakfast was buffet. I did enjoy my stay there. Is it worth to pay that much for a hotel room! Hell, yeah!

BTW, the standard room costs P3500 or US$80 (at 43.25 equivalent exchange rate).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Philippines
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed in L'Fisher overnight for a business trip. The hotel gave the impression that it was among the best in Bacolod... at the time it opened decades ago!

At present, the hotel is already exhibiting signs of wear and tear. The carpets are musty and the furniture look old. They have a newer wing which is called Chalet. I believe the accommodations there are better. Location of the hotel is good.

My biggest issue during my stay was the constant gnawing sound under my bed which could only be caused by a rat! I had to sleep with the lights on hoping the rat will not go out into the open!

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Waray

Travellers are raving about these Bacolod hotels